Old 12-03-2011, 04:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default NEED A GOOD COOK BOOK TO MAKE A GOOD GRAVY LIKE MOM MADE!

Help!
My Mom passed away 3 years ago and I haven't had a good gravy since.My
sister trys,but her gravy is like glue and is bitter to the point I
can't even eat it.
I told her to give up!
Wish we had a good old cook book from Naples to help her.
She can read! LOL!
Thanks-
Tony

Old 12-03-2011, 04:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
Help!
My Mom passed away 3 years ago and I haven't had a good gravy since.My
sister trys,but her gravy is like glue and is bitter to the point I
can't even eat it.
I told her to give up!
Wish we had a good old cook book from Naples to help her.
She can read! LOL!
Thanks-
Tony

Gravy --- Naples. OK, the tomato based stuff, not the beef kind.

My wife makes one with tomato paste, crushed tomatoes and a can of water for
each can of paste. Add in garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, basil. I have no
idea how much, just to taste. Add some meat (whatever you happen to have)
and cook for a long time. I bet the people here can give more details on
how they do it. Or do a recipe search.

If you have any idea what mom put in, it would help find a close recipe.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
Help!
My Mom passed away 3 years ago and I haven't had a good gravy since.My
sister trys,but her gravy is like glue and is bitter to the point I
can't even eat it.
I told her to give up!
Wish we had a good old cook book from Naples to help her.
She can read! LOL!
Thanks-
Tony

What kind of gravy do you want? Gravy of all kinds is easy to make and I've
never had bitter gravy.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
wrote in message
Help!
My Mom passed away 3 years ago and I haven't had a good gravy
since.My sister trys,but her gravy is like glue and is bitter to the
point I can't even eat it.
I told her to give up!
Wish we had a good old cook book from Naples to help her.
She can read! LOL!
Thanks-
Tony

What kind of gravy do you want? Gravy of all kinds is easy to make
and I've never had bitter gravy.

Sounds like he's looking for tomato sauce.

nancy
Old 12-03-2011, 01:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" wrote in message
om...
Julie Bove wrote:
wrote in message
Help!
My Mom passed away 3 years ago and I haven't had a good gravy
since.My sister trys,but her gravy is like glue and is bitter to the
point I can't even eat it.
I told her to give up!
Wish we had a good old cook book from Naples to help her.
She can read! LOL!
Thanks-
Tony

What kind of gravy do you want? Gravy of all kinds is easy to make
and I've never had bitter gravy.

Sounds like he's looking for tomato sauce.

nancy

Yes, in Italy they call tomato sauce "gravy".

Jill

Old 12-03-2011, 02:18 PM
Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Bove[_2_] View Post
Help!
My Mom passed away 3 years ago and I haven't had a good gravy since.My
sister trys,but her gravy is like glue and is bitter to the point I
can't even eat it.
I told her to give up!
Wish we had a good old cook book from Naples to help her.
She can read! LOL!
Thanks-
Tony

What kind of gravy do you want? Gravy of all kinds is easy to make and I've
never had bitter gravy.
I'm guessing sister makes the roux variety and burns the flour or starts the Napoli style gravy with garlic and burns that. I detect something burned when I hear bitter gravy.
I can't think of any gravy that is a major trick to make.

Give us a synopsis of what mom's gravy tasted like. This could be fun.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
wrote in message
Help!
My Mom passed away 3 years ago and I haven't had a good gravy
since.My sister trys,but her gravy is like glue and is bitter to
the point I can't even eat it.
I told her to give up!
Wish we had a good old cook book from Naples to help her.
She can read! LOL!
Thanks-
Tony

What kind of gravy do you want? Gravy of all kinds is easy to make
and I've never had bitter gravy.

Sounds like he's looking for tomato sauce.

Yes, in Italy they call tomato sauce "gravy".

I grew up with many Italians, I know that. Some people called it
spaghetti sauce. I only said tomato sauce so people would know
we weren't talking roast beef gravy or anything.

I don't have the energy to post any recipe for the OP. For the
bitterness I've known Italians who'd add a carrot and take it out
when it was done. Pork chops/necks/ribs will give a good flavor
to the sauce. I don't know what the sister is doing so who knows.

I say it's time for Tony to make the sauce since he doesn't like
what he's getting.

nancy
Old 13-03-2011, 06:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
wrote in message
Help!
My Mom passed away 3 years ago and I haven't had a good gravy
since.My sister trys,but her gravy is like glue and is bitter to the
point I can't even eat it.
I told her to give up!
Wish we had a good old cook book from Naples to help her.
She can read! LOL!
Thanks-
Tony

What kind of gravy do you want? Gravy of all kinds is easy to make
and I've never had bitter gravy.

Sounds like he's looking for tomato sauce.

nancy

Yes, in Italy they call tomato sauce "gravy".

And yet when *I* used that term, few people knew what I meant.

Old 13-03-2011, 06:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

I've never had bitter sauce. But if it tastes too acidy, a squirt of lemon
juice will fix it.

Old 13-03-2011, 10:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/13/2011 12:16 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
wrote in message

"Nancy wrote in message
om...
Julie Bove wrote:
wrote in message
Help!
My Mom passed away 3 years ago and I haven't had a good gravy
since.My sister trys,but her gravy is like glue and is bitter to the
point I can't even eat it.
I told her to give up!
Wish we had a good old cook book from Naples to help her.
She can read! LOL!
Thanks-
Tony

What kind of gravy do you want? Gravy of all kinds is easy to make
and I've never had bitter gravy.

Sounds like he's looking for tomato sauce.

nancy

Yes, in Italy they call tomato sauce "gravy".

And yet when *I* used that term, few people knew what I meant.

I knew. I grew up with Sicilianos. They taught me to cook Italian food.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Old 13-03-2011, 10:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:
On 3/13/2011 12:16 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
wrote

"Nancy wrote

Sounds like he's looking for tomato sauce.

Yes, in Italy they call tomato sauce "gravy".

And yet when *I* used that term, few people knew what I meant.

I knew. I grew up with Sicilianos. They taught me to cook Italian
food.

Thing is, it has to be used in context or people with think it's
roast beef gravy or something.

nancy
Old 14-03-2011, 01:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/13/2011 5:36 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
Janet Wilder wrote:
On 3/13/2011 12:16 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
wrote

"Nancy wrote

Sounds like he's looking for tomato sauce.

Yes, in Italy they call tomato sauce "gravy".

And yet when *I* used that term, few people knew what I meant.

I knew. I grew up with Sicilianos. They taught me to cook Italian
food.

Thing is, it has to be used in context or people with think it's
roast beef gravy or something.

I remember going to a state park with my parents when I was a kid. We
brought a little grill and made hamburgers and hot dogs. My mom
wouldn't use the ones in the park. I would always hear the Italian
ladies talking about "the gravy" and wondered why they would be making
brown gravy. It wasn't until I was of cooking age that I learned that
gravy was made with tomatoes from my friend Janet Crozio's Nauna.

Old 14-03-2011, 02:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
Janet Wilder wrote:
On 3/13/2011 12:16 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
wrote

"Nancy wrote

Sounds like he's looking for tomato sauce.

Yes, in Italy they call tomato sauce "gravy".

And yet when *I* used that term, few people knew what I meant.

I knew. I grew up with Sicilianos. They taught me to cook Italian
food.

Thing is, it has to be used in context or people with think it's
roast beef gravy or something.

I used the term "red gravy" which is what my inlaws call it. They're
Scicilian.

Old 14-03-2011, 09:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" ha scritto nel messaggio

Julie Bove wrote:
Yes, in Italy they call tomato sauce "gravy".

And yet when *I* used that term, few people knew what I meant.

I knew. I grew up with Sicilianos. They taught me to cook Italian food.

It's just the result of bad translation. Sugo infers that meat is involved
in some way whereas salsa infers there was not. Neither one of them really
means "gravy" but in the US they had to come up with a word.
My mother's best friend was Napolitana and her husband Siciliano, both
arrived there as babies. They never used the term gravy. It seems to be
more geographical in the US than to do with geographical in Italy.

Old 14-03-2011, 08:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/14/2011 4:21 AM, Giusi wrote:
"Janet ha scritto nel messaggio

Julie Bove wrote:
Yes, in Italy they call tomato sauce "gravy".

And yet when *I* used that term, few people knew what I meant.

I knew. I grew up with Sicilianos. They taught me to cook Italian food.

It's just the result of bad translation. Sugo infers that meat is involved
in some way whereas salsa infers there was not. Neither one of them really
means "gravy" but in the US they had to come up with a word.
My mother's best friend was Napolitana and her husband Siciliano, both
arrived there as babies. They never used the term gravy. It seems to be
more geographical in the US than to do with geographical in Italy.

Maybe it's a NY Metro thing?