Member

Location: Jacksonville, FL
Default Hamburgers

Good morning!

So, last night I was trying to look up a receipe and came across this site. New to the world of forums (and pretty new to the world of cooking eatable food), I thought I'd give this a try!

My question, for anyone who may know, is whether you have heard of or have a receipe for hamburgers with an egg in the center. I think I saw it on TV a while back (can't decide if it'll even be tastey), but man do I want to try it!

Last nights search left me empty handed, so I just made hamburgers stuffed with cheese and onion...Here's hoping someone may know about the egg thing!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

TheBlogtography wrote:
> Good morning!
>
> So, last night I was trying to look up a receipe and came across this
> site. New to the world of forums (and pretty new to the world of cooking
> eatable food), I thought I'd give this a try!
>
> My question, for anyone who may know, is whether you have heard of or
> have a receipe for hamburgers with an egg in the center. I think I saw
> it on TV a while back (can't decide if it'll even be tastey), but man do
> I want to try it!
>
> Last nights search left me empty handed, so I just made hamburgers
> stuffed with cheese and onion...Here's hoping someone may know about the
> egg thing!!

I have seen hamburger or sausage patties with a depression in one side
to hold an egg as it cooks. Sort of like a meat cocotte.

But just off the top of my head i can imagine how one would get any
thing other than a hard boiled egg, or a slice of hard boiled egg,
inside a meat patty.

I have seen deep fried eggs but they were hard boiled before being
peeled and batter dipped and deep fried.

--

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"TheBlogtography" > wrote in message

| Good morning!
|
| So, last night I was trying to look up a receipe and came across this
| site. New to the world of forums (and pretty new to the world of cooking
| eatable food), I thought I'd give this a try!
|
| My question, for anyone who may know, is whether you have heard of or
| have a receipe for hamburgers with an egg in the center. I think I saw
| it on TV a while back (can't decide if it'll even be tastey), but man do
| I want to try it!
|
| Last nights search left me empty handed, so I just made hamburgers
| stuffed with cheese and onion...Here's hoping someone may know about the
| egg thing!!

Are you thinking of Scotch Eggs? They can be made with hamburger as
well as with the traditional sausage, and seasoned as you wish. There
are many recipes on the internet, here is something to start with, you can
find baked or deep-fried ones:
http://www.mrbreakfast.com/superdisp...p?recipeid=118

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pavane wrote on Thu, 14 Jan 2010 16:34:29 -0500:

> "TheBlogtography"
> > wrote in
> message ...

|> Good morning!
|>
|> So, last night I was trying to look up a receipe and came
|> across this site. New to the world of forums (and pretty new
|> to the world of cooking eatable food), I thought I'd give
|> this a try!
|>
|> My question, for anyone who may know, is whether you have
|> heard of or have a receipe for hamburgers with an egg in the
|> center. I think I saw it on TV a while back (can't decide if
|> it'll even be tastey), but man do I want to try it!
|>
|> Last nights search left me empty handed, so I just made
|> hamburgers stuffed with cheese and onion...Here's hoping
|> someone may know about the egg thing!!

> Are you thinking of Scotch Eggs? They can be made with
> hamburger as well as with the traditional sausage, and
> seasoned as you wish. There are many recipes on the internet,
> here is something to start with, you can find baked or
> deep-fried ones:
> http://www.mrbreakfast.com/superdisp...p?recipeid=118

Indians can be quite enthusiastic about eggs and they adopted Scotch
Eggs from the British. The meat covering in Nargisi Kababs is more
highly spiced than the British original but the dish is an improvement,
in my opinion.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
l, not -l > wrote:
>Egg in the middle almost sounds like something Hardee's would come up with;
>2 one-third pound Angus patties with an egg (cooked hard or soft) between
>them, bacon on top and cheese between each layer. Add lettuce, tomato and
>secret sauce (sausage gravy?). Commercial - "When you're more than an
>average glutton, you want Hardee's new Angus a la mode"; $3.79 or the combo
>with cheesey bacon wrapped fries and a humongous drink for $6.99. 8-)

Ah... The Quadruple Bypass Burger.

--
Mike Van Pelt "If they're going to talk about
mvp.at.calweb.com Camelot, then we get to talk about
Posted to rec.food.cooking

TheBlogtography wrote:

> Good morning!
>
> So, last night I was trying to look up a receipe and came across this
> site. New to the world of forums (and pretty new to the world of cooking
> eatable food), I thought I'd give this a try!
>
> My question, for anyone who may know, is whether you have heard of or
> have a receipe for hamburgers with an egg in the center. I think I saw
> it on TV a while back (can't decide if it'll even be tastey), but man do
> I want to try it!
>
> Last nights search left me empty handed, so I just made hamburgers
> stuffed with cheese and onion...Here's hoping someone may know about the
> egg thing!!
>
> --

It's a take on Scotch eggs, really. Scotch eggs are coated in crumbs of
one sort or another and deep-fried. Surround the hardcooked egg with the
burger meat and cook it. Never tried cooking a burger with a raw egg in
the centre though; we usually mix the egg in

My Filipina colleagues used to make a 'sausage' of sorts (embutido) with
ham (and other ingredients) that contained hardcooked eggs down the
middle of the roll. That got wrapped up and baked.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

TheBlogtography > wrote in
:

> (and pretty new to the world of cooking
> eatable food),

Did you only cook uneatable food before??

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Mary had a little lamb
her father shot it dead.
Now it goes to school with her
between two chunks of bread.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London wrote:

> TheBlogtography wrote:
>
>>Good morning!
>>
>>So, last night I was trying to look up a receipe and came across this
>>site. New to the world of forums (and pretty new to the world of cooking
>>eatable food), I thought I'd give this a try!
>>
>>My question, for anyone who may know, is whether you have heard of or
>>have a receipe for hamburgers with an egg in the center. I think I saw
>>it on TV a while back (can't decide if it'll even be tastey), but man do
>>I want to try it!
>>
>>Last nights search left me empty handed, so I just made hamburgers
>>stuffed with cheese and onion...Here's hoping someone may know about the
>>egg thing!!
>>
>>--

> It's a take on Scotch eggs, really. Scotch eggs are coated in crumbs of
> one sort or another and deep-fried. Surround the hardcooked egg with the
> burger meat and cook it. Never tried cooking a burger with a raw egg in
> the centre though; we usually mix the egg in
>
> My Filipina colleagues used to make a 'sausage' of sorts (embutido) with
> ham (and other ingredients) that contained hardcooked eggs down the
> middle of the roll. That got wrapped up and baked.

I seem to recall a pork meat loaf baked in pastry with the hard boiled
eggs in the middle

--

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 14, 5:30*pm, "l, not -l" > wrote:

> Egg in the middle almost sounds like something Hardee's would come up with;
> 2 one-third pound Angus patties with an egg (cooked hard or soft) between
> them, bacon on top and cheese between each layer. *Add lettuce, tomato and
> secret sauce (sausage gravy?). * *Commercial - "When you're more than an
> average glutton, you want Hardee's new Angus a la mode"; $3.79 or the combo
> with cheesey bacon wrapped fries and a humongous drink for $6.99. * *8-)

You got that right......the lardasses would be stampeding in for
those!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq." > wrote in
:

> I seem to recall a pork meat loaf baked in pastry with the hard boiled
> eggs in the middle

That'd be a Gala Pie, a version of the old pork pie.

But, with all this talk of hamburgers, I've taken some rump steak out of the
freezer, and once it's thawed, I'll mince it up with the mincer to make some
'rustic' burgers :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

Mary had a little lamb
her father shot it dead.
Now it goes to school with her
between two chunks of bread.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterLucas1 wrote:
> "Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq." > wrote in
> :
>

>>I seem to recall a pork meat loaf baked in pastry with the hard boiled
>>eggs in the middle
>>

> That'd be a Gala Pie, a version of the old pork pie.
>

> But, with all this talk of hamburgers, I've taken some rump steak out of the
> freezer, and once it's thawed, I'll mince it up with the mincer to make some
> 'rustic' burgers :-)

Now that i think about it i recall the recipe as for 'veal and ham pie"
but baked in pastry in a loaf pan.
--

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 14, 8:59*pm, "Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq." >
wrote:
> Arri London wrote:
>
> > TheBlogtography wrote:

> >>Good morning!

> >>So, last night I was trying to look up a receipe and came across this
> >>site. New to the world of forums (and pretty new to the world of cooking
> >>eatable food), I thought I'd give this a try!

> >>My question, for anyone who may know, is whether you have heard of or
> >>have a receipe for hamburgers with an egg in the center. I think I saw
> >>it on TV a while back (can't decide if it'll even be tastey), but man do
> >>I want to try it!

> >>Last nights search left me empty handed, so I just made hamburgers
> >>stuffed with cheese and onion...Here's hoping someone may know about the
> >>egg thing!!

> >>--

> > It's a take on Scotch eggs, really. Scotch eggs are coated in crumbs of
> > one sort or another and deep-fried. Surround the hardcooked egg with the
> > burger meat and cook it. *Never tried cooking a burger with a raw egg in
> > the centre though; we usually mix the egg in

> > My Filipina colleagues used to make a 'sausage' of sorts (embutido) with
> > ham (and other ingredients) that contained hardcooked eggs down the
> > middle of the roll. That got wrapped up and baked.

> I seem to recall a pork meat loaf baked in pastry with the hard boiled
> eggs in the middle
>
> --
>
> Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.
>
> Domine, dirige nos.
> Let the games begin!http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky...sf_anthem.mp3- Hide quoted text -

When I was in junior high, the cafeteria served (only once!) a
"spinach loaf" that had hard boiled eggs in the center. It was really
vile - unanimously went in the garbage from every tray.

N.

(What is "toad in the hole?" Isn't that an egg in the middle of -
what - sausage? There isn't any reason you couldn't cook an egg in
the middle of a burger - I think Fieri recently visited a diner that
did that. Maybe that's where the OP saw it.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 12:13:37 -0600, Andy > wrote:

>A toad in a hole the way my niece made them, the way I remember was to
>lightly toast some bread and then lightly butter both sides. Then with a
>drinking glass she'd twist-cut a hole out of the middle of the bread
>(save the holes!), toss it in the pan, toss a dot of butter into the hole
>to melt, then crack an egg into the hole until set sunny side up to your
>liking. Because of the nature of the beast she'd never flip them. Then
>you break bits of the toast apart and dip them into the egg as you ate
>them. It was very greasy the way she made them but we never complained,
>just used a fork. We were also served the holes to use if needed. It
>probably goes by other names.

She should have toasted one side, flipped it and then put the egg in
if she wanted it sunny side up.

My mother used to make that kind of stuff (egg in a hole) when I was a
kid. The bread was fine. I didn't like the egg part. She used to
bake eggs in the oven too, I'm sure it has a fancier name like shirred
- but the eggs.... I hated them. Haven't made either type to this
day.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 08:28:09 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> wrote:

>(What is "toad in the hole?" Isn't that an egg in the middle of -
>what - sausage?

On another food ng that's focused on English food, they were talking
about it as Yorkshire puddinglike batter that you put sausage in. I
Just googled some information... this is pretty informative
http://historictravel.suite101.com/a...l_english_food

>There isn't any reason you couldn't cook an egg in
>the middle of a burger - I think Fieri recently visited a diner that
>did that. Maybe that's where the OP saw it.)

Oh, ugh. That egg on a hamburger thing is too disgusting. It's as
bad as egg on pizza.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 14:10:20 -0800, sf > wrote:
>

>>Oh, ugh. That egg on a hamburger thing is too disgusting. It's as
>>bad as egg on pizza.

> Hey, don't knock it til you've tried it.
>
> My first weekend in CA this time, Lin and I went up Nevada City or was
> it Grass Valley? Anyway, we had lunch there, and I had a sandwich
> with an egg on it. It was totally delicious. No, it wasn't a
> hamburger, but an egg on a sandwich can be a wondrous thing.

A fried egg (over easy) on garlic buttered white rye toast with a bit of
catsup and mayo is a favorite of mine.

--

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq." wrote:

> PeterLucas1 wrote:
> > "Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq." > wrote in
> > :
> >

> >>I seem to recall a pork meat loaf baked in pastry with the hard boiled
> >>eggs in the middle
> >>

> > That'd be a Gala Pie, a version of the old pork pie.
> >

> > But, with all this talk of hamburgers, I've taken some rump steak out of the
> > freezer, and once it's thawed, I'll mince it up with the mincer to make some
> > 'rustic' burgers :-)
> >

> Now that i think about it i recall the recipe as for 'veal and ham pie"
> but baked in pastry in a loaf pan.
> --

Yes, but that is not texturally like burgers. The embutido is a bit
closer in texture to a burger, but that depends on how the meat has been
ground.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> On Jan 14, 8:59 pm, "Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq." >
> wrote:
> > Arri London wrote:

<snip>

> > > My Filipina colleagues used to make a 'sausage' of sorts (embutido) with
> > > ham (and other ingredients) that contained hardcooked eggs down the
> > > middle of the roll. That got wrapped up and baked.

> > I seem to recall a pork meat loaf baked in pastry with the hard boiled
> > eggs in the middle
> >
> > --

> When I was in junior high, the cafeteria served (only once!) a
> "spinach loaf" that had hard boiled eggs in the center. It was really
> vile - unanimously went in the garbage from every tray.
>
> N.
>
> (What is "toad in the hole?" Isn't that an egg in the middle of -
> what - sausage? There isn't any reason you couldn't cook an egg in
> the middle of a burger - I think Fieri recently visited a diner that
> did that. Maybe that's where the OP saw it.)

The UK version of toad in the hole consists of sausages embedded in
Yorkshire pudding batter and baked. There probably are other things by
that name made with other ingredients.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 14:58:06 -0800, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 14:10:20 -0800, sf > wrote:
>

>>Oh, ugh. That egg on a hamburger thing is too disgusting. It's as
>>bad as egg on pizza.

>Hey, don't knock it til you've tried it.
>
>My first weekend in CA this time, Lin and I went up Nevada City or was
>it Grass Valley? Anyway, we had lunch there, and I had a sandwich
>with an egg on it. It was totally delicious. No, it wasn't a
>hamburger, but an egg on a sandwich can be a wondrous thing.
>
>I think I have a pic of it.
>http://i48.tinypic.com/2hcn4vp.jpg
>
>Christine

Wow Christine, that's a great shot. The sandwich looks delicious.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 08:28:09 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> wrote:

>When I was in junior high, the cafeteria served (only once!) a
>"spinach loaf" that had hard boiled eggs in the center. It was really
>vile - unanimously went in the garbage from every tray.

When I was in a boarding high school, on Fridays the cafeteria staff
routinely used leftovers from earlier in the week, tossed it together
along with some "plops" or white rice and called it chow mein <eyeball
roll>

The day room candy machine and the base commissary did a land office
business on Fridays...

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

---

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,
and if the turkey had had a breast like the maid,
it would have been a swell dinner." Duncan Hines

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, artisan2
@ix.netcom.com says...

> On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 14:10:20 -0800, sf > wrote:
>

> >Oh, ugh. That egg on a hamburger thing is too disgusting. It's as
> >bad as egg on pizza.

> Hey, don't knock it til you've tried it.
>
> My first weekend in CA this time, Lin and I went up Nevada City or was
> it Grass Valley? Anyway, we had lunch there, and I had a sandwich
> with an egg on it. It was totally delicious. No, it wasn't a
> hamburger, but an egg on a sandwich can be a wondrous thing.
>
> I think I have a pic of it.
> http://i48.tinypic.com/2hcn4vp.jpg
>
> Christine

That is the sandwich of summer!! For those of you who don't know, my
daughter (15) races motocross and we do a lot of camping during the
summer at the weekend events. Those sandwiches are a staple and Dee
(track mom) makes them every morning. Bacon or ham, with egg, cheese and
if you are real good a slice of tomato or some crumpled onion... yum.
Great way to start off a long day.

Scotty
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Other Guy > wrote:

>I NEVER eat white bread, there is NO natural nutrition left in it.
>
>My specialty is a bacon, egg, ham, and cheese sandwich on whole wheat.
>I only make it a couple of times a year, so it's ALWAYS special.

Were it so freakin special you'd make it more than twice a year... you
only just made up that fercocktah story so you'd have something to
post. I'm sure you never tasted a "bacon, egg, ham, and cheese
sandwich on whole wheat"... if it's not sold at the Golden Arches
you've never eaten it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 0>,
says...

> On Fri 15 Jan 2010 03:58:06p, Christine Dabney told us...
>
> > On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 14:10:20 -0800, sf > wrote:
> >

> >>Oh, ugh. That egg on a hamburger thing is too disgusting. It's as bad
> >>as egg on pizza.

> > Hey, don't knock it til you've tried it.
> >
> > My first weekend in CA this time, Lin and I went up Nevada City or was
> > it Grass Valley? Anyway, we had lunch there, and I had a sandwich
> > with an egg on it. It was totally delicious. No, it wasn't a
> > hamburger, but an egg on a sandwich can be a wondrous thing.
> >
> > I think I have a pic of it.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2hcn4vp.jpg

> > Christine

> I really like fried egg and onion sandwiches. White bread, toasted or not,
> a fried egg (with white and yolk stirred togeter before frying), a thinnish
> slice of sweet onion, and mayo. Plenty of pepper and a bit of salt. Good
> with dill pickles and potato chips.

That sounds awesome, not for me, but for my wife.

Scotty gonna' go cook her one now! Might add a slice of bacon first oh
wait, how about a slice of cheese??
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 14:58:06 -0800, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 14:10:20 -0800, sf > wrote:
>

>>Oh, ugh. That egg on a hamburger thing is too disgusting. It's as
>>bad as egg on pizza.

>Hey, don't knock it til you've tried it.
>
>My first weekend in CA this time, Lin and I went up Nevada City or was
>it Grass Valley? Anyway, we had lunch there, and I had a sandwich
>with an egg on it. It was totally delicious. No, it wasn't a
>hamburger, but an egg on a sandwich can be a wondrous thing.
>
>I think I have a pic of it.
>http://i48.tinypic.com/2hcn4vp.jpg

Is that ham and egg? Well, at least that make sense... If I'd ordered
it, I would have sent it back though because I don't like brown eggs.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 06:54:24 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>What about Veal a la Holstein? A breaded veal cutlet with a fried egg on
>top.

A la Holstein? Sounds like farm food, but it probably isn't.
I wouldn't touch that with a 10 ft. pole. :P~~~

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message
| The Other Guy > wrote:
| >
| >I NEVER eat white bread, there is NO natural nutrition left in it.
| >
| >My specialty is a bacon, egg, ham, and cheese sandwich on whole wheat.
| >I only make it a couple of times a year, so it's ALWAYS special.
| >

| Were it so freakin special you'd make it more than twice a year... you
| only just made up that fercocktah story so you'd have something to
| post. I'm sure you never tasted a "bacon, egg, ham, and cheese
| sandwich on whole wheat"... if it's not sold at the Golden Arches
| you've never eaten it.

Aw, Sheldumb, you're ALWAYS special too.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Christine Dabney wrote:

> My first weekend in CA this time, Lin and I went up Nevada City or was
> it Grass Valley? Anyway, we had lunch there, and I had a sandwich
> with an egg on it. It was totally delicious. No, it wasn't a
> hamburger, but an egg on a sandwich can be a wondrous thing.
>
> I think I have a pic of it.
> http://i48.tinypic.com/2hcn4vp.jpg

Dang, but that egg/ham sandwich sure looked delicious! Definitely not
fast food <g>. The sesames on the bun really made a difference, I bet.
Was that Lin's sandwich in the background? Looks like it might've been
something on rye with swiss cheese - not that I can tell

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote in
news
> On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 08:28:09 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> > wrote:
>
>>When I was in junior high, the cafeteria served (only once!) a
>>"spinach loaf" that had hard boiled eggs in the center. It was really
>>vile - unanimously went in the garbage from every tray.

> When I was in a boarding high school, on Fridays the cafeteria staff
> routinely used leftovers from earlier in the week, tossed it together
> along with some "plops" or white rice and called it chow mein <eyeball
> roll>
>
> The day room candy machine and the base commissary did a land office
> business on Fridays...

They should have had Hugh there to do the leftovers!!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty.../12/leftovers-
hugh-fearnley-whittingstall

http://tinyurl.com/m47zlq

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Edmund Burke.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
AtM says...

> Christine Dabney wrote:
> >
> > My first weekend in CA this time, Lin and I went up Nevada City or was
> > it Grass Valley? Anyway, we had lunch there, and I had a sandwich
> > with an egg on it. It was totally delicious. No, it wasn't a
> > hamburger, but an egg on a sandwich can be a wondrous thing.
> >
> > I think I have a pic of it.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2hcn4vp.jpg

> Dang, but that egg/ham sandwich sure looked delicious! Definitely not
> fast food <g>. The sesames on the bun really made a difference, I bet.
> Was that Lin's sandwich in the background? Looks like it might've been
> something on rye with swiss cheese - not that I can tell
>
> Sky

Oh yeah.. I made them for lunch. I scorched the onions and then made
them into a layer about the size of the huge crescent rolls we picked up
fresh the other day. I broke an egg over the "patty" and broke the yolk.
After a minute or so, before the top cooked, I one thin slice black
forest ham and flipped the thing over. I sprinkled grated yellow cheddar
and cooked it for another minute or so to singe the ham and finish the
egg. I sliced a fresh croissant roll and spread on some mayonnaise. Put
the patty in the bun and serve... The wife and kids loved them.

Scotty
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 08:28:09 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> > wrote:
>

>> When I was in junior high, the cafeteria served (only once!) a
>> "spinach loaf" that had hard boiled eggs in the center. It was really
>> vile - unanimously went in the garbage from every tray.
>>

> When I was in a boarding high school, on Fridays the cafeteria staff
> routinely used leftovers from earlier in the week, tossed it together
> along with some "plops" or white rice and called it chow mein<eyeball
> roll>
>
> The day room candy machine and the base commissary did a land office
> business on Fridays...
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>
> ---
>
> "If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
> if the wine had been as old as the turkey,
> and if the turkey had had a breast like the maid,
> it would have been a swell dinner." Duncan Hines

Nice!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London wrote:

> "Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq." wrote:
>
> >PeterLucas1 wrote:
> >
> >>"Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq." wrote in
> :

> >>That'd be a Gala Pie, a version of the old pork pie.
> >>

> >>But, with all this talk of hamburgers, I've taken some rump steak

> out of the
> >>freezer, and once it's thawed, I'll mince it up with the mincer to

> make some
> >>'rustic' burgers :-)
> >>

> >Now that i think about it i recall the recipe as for 'veal and ham pie"
> >but baked in pastry in a loaf pan.
> >--

> Yes, but that is not texturally like burgers. The embutido is a bit
> closer in texture to a burger, but that depends on how the meat has been
> ground.

Ah yes, i have been known to puree veggies to a paste and mix with
stock/wine and ground meat to make a patty, ball or loaf with a "pate"
like consistency.

I do that for Swedish meatballs and a meatloaf so i can slice it very
thin for cold meatloaf sandwichs.

One of my favorties, right up there with ground veal is a combonation of
ground chicken and shrimp.

--

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq." wrote:

> Arri London wrote:

> > :

> > out of the

> > make some
> > >>

> > >Now that i think about it i recall the recipe as for 'veal and ham pie"
> > >but baked in pastry in a loaf pan.
> > >--

> > Yes, but that is not texturally like burgers. The embutido is a bit
> > closer in texture to a burger, but that depends on how the meat has been
> > ground.

> Ah yes, i have been known to puree veggies to a paste and mix with
> stock/wine and ground meat to make a patty, ball or loaf with a "pate"
> like consistency.
>
> I do that for Swedish meatballs and a meatloaf so i can slice it very
> thin for cold meatloaf sandwichs.
>
> One of my favorties, right up there with ground veal is a combonation of
> ground chicken and shrimp.

A Chinese friend from Hong Kong used to make meatloaf of a sort. She
ground the meat so finely, the meatloaf was silky and also pate-like.
Quite nice really.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Sat 16 Jan 2010 11:17:34a, sf told us...
>
> > On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 06:54:24 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > > wrote:
> >
> >>What about Veal a la Holstein? A breaded veal cutlet with a fried egg on
> >>top.

> > A la Holstein? Sounds like farm food, but it probably isn't.
> > I wouldn't touch that with a 10 ft. pole. :P~~~
> >

> Actually, it's rather good. :-)

Schnitzel a la Holstein was always one of my father's favourite dishes.
Named for a German baron, I'm told
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Sun 17 Jan 2010 07:01:16p, Arri London told us...
>

> > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >>
> >> On Sat 16 Jan 2010 11:17:34a, sf told us...

> >> Actually, it's rather good. :-)
> >>

> > Schnitzel a la Holstein was always one of my father's favourite dishes.
> > Named for a German baron, I'm told
> >

> Yes, that was my understanding, too. It's also one of my favorites. Two
> other of my favorite preparations is plain breaded schnitzel with a squeeze
> of fresh lemon juice, and also accompanied by a light fresh dill and lemon
> sauce. In any case, my favorite sides are sweet and sour red cabbage and
> spaetzle with a bit of paprikas gravy.

We don't do veal, but make the schnitzels from pork. Same sides, minus
the paprikas sauce. Just fresh lemon juice and salt, nothing else.
There's pork slices in the freezer and red cabbage in the veg drawer

> I rarely make this at home, but we have a local German restaurant that
> serves excellent German and Hungarian dishes, including several variations
> of schnitzel and a killer sauerbraten. Their veal paprikas is hard to
> beat, too.

Can't even remember the last time we had veal. Some time during my
childhood. Looking into making pork sauerbraten, as we don't eat beef.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 14:10:20 -0800, sf > wrote:
>

>> Oh, ugh. That egg on a hamburger thing is too disgusting. It's as
>> bad as egg on pizza.

> Hey, don't knock it til you've tried it.
>
> My first weekend in CA this time, Lin and I went up Nevada City or was
> it Grass Valley? Anyway, we had lunch there, and I had a sandwich
> with an egg on it. It was totally delicious. No, it wasn't a
> hamburger, but an egg on a sandwich can be a wondrous thing.
>
> I think I have a pic of it.
> http://i48.tinypic.com/2hcn4vp.jpg
>
> Christine

Remember, a mainstay of fast-food breakfast, the Egg McMuffin, is a sandwich
with an egg on it. Regardless of how one feels about McDonalds, they sell a
lot of the things, suggesting that the notion of a sandwich with an egg on
it is not in general found to be totally repulsive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

J. Clarke wrote:
> Christine Dabney wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 14:10:20 -0800, sf > wrote:
>>

>>> Oh, ugh. That egg on a hamburger thing is too disgusting. It's as
>>> bad as egg on pizza.

>> Hey, don't knock it til you've tried it.
>>
>> My first weekend in CA this time, Lin and I went up Nevada City or was
>> it Grass Valley? Anyway, we had lunch there, and I had a sandwich
>> with an egg on it. It was totally delicious. No, it wasn't a
>> hamburger, but an egg on a sandwich can be a wondrous thing.
>>
>> I think I have a pic of it.
>> http://i48.tinypic.com/2hcn4vp.jpg
>>
>> Christine

> Remember, a mainstay of fast-food breakfast, the Egg McMuffin, is a sandwich
> with an egg on it. Regardless of how one feels about McDonalds, they sell a
> lot of the things, suggesting that the notion of a sandwich with an egg on
> it is not in general found to be totally repulsive.

Breakfast this morning was an egg sandwich. Two slices Mr's Baird's 7
Grain bread, two eggs, one slice of ham and a slice of cheese.

Oh... my combined cholesterol is 136. Really.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

J. wrote on Wed, 20 Jan 2010 10:19:41 -0500:

> Christine Dabney wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 14:10:20 -0800, sf > wrote:
>>
>>> Oh, ugh. That egg on a hamburger thing is too disgusting.
>>> It's as bad as egg on pizza.

>> Hey, don't knock it til you've tried it.
>>
>> My first weekend in CA this time, Lin and I went up Nevada
>> City or was it Grass Valley? Anyway, we had lunch there, and
>> I had a sandwich with an egg on it. It was totally delicious.
>> No, it wasn't a hamburger, but an egg on a sandwich can be a
>> wondrous thing.
>>
>> I think I have a pic of it.
>> http://i48.tinypic.com/2hcn4vp.jpg
>>

>Remember, a mainstay of fast-food breakfast, the Egg McMuffin, is a
>sandwich
>with an egg on it. Regardless of how one feels about McDonalds, they
>sell a
>lot of the things, suggesting that the notion of a sandwich with an egg
>on
>it is not in general found to be totally repulsive.

"
We are getting into semantics here :-) Doesn't the E-MacM have an egg
"IN" it not "ON" it? When I was a child in Britain we quite often had
fried egg sandwiches on untoasted white bread as a quick meal (sometimes
even with ketchup :-). Come to think of it, I used to make them when I
was in a hurry as a graduate student.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

J. Clarke wrote:
> Remember, a mainstay of fast-food breakfast, the Egg McMuffin, is a sandwich
> with an egg on it. Regardless of how one feels about McDonalds, they sell a
> lot of the things, suggesting that the notion of a sandwich with an egg on
> it is not in general found to be totally repulsive.

The Caribbean Princess made their version of Egg McMuffins. They bake
their own English muffins and they used Canadian bacon, eggs and cheddar
cheese instead of processed cheese. I tried them, they were pretty good.
They were making Belgian waffles, so the sandwich was probably a better
choice for me.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 10:19:41 -0500, "J. Clarke"
> wrote:

>Christine Dabney wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 14:10:20 -0800, sf > wrote:
>>

>>> Oh, ugh. That egg on a hamburger thing is too disgusting. It's as
>>> bad as egg on pizza.

>> Hey, don't knock it til you've tried it.
>>
>> My first weekend in CA this time, Lin and I went up Nevada City or was
>> it Grass Valley? Anyway, we had lunch there, and I had a sandwich
>> with an egg on it. It was totally delicious. No, it wasn't a
>> hamburger, but an egg on a sandwich can be a wondrous thing.
>>
>> I think I have a pic of it.
>> http://i48.tinypic.com/2hcn4vp.jpg
>>
>> Christine

>Remember, a mainstay of fast-food breakfast, the Egg McMuffin, is a sandwich
>with an egg on it. Regardless of how one feels about McDonalds, they sell a
>lot of the things, suggesting that the notion of a sandwich with an egg on
>it is not in general found to be totally repulsive.

You two can cloud the issue all day long, but I'm still not convinced
that egg on a hamburger is a good thing (nor is an egg on pizza).

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 10:19:41 -0500, "J. Clarke"
> > wrote:
>
> >Christine Dabney wrote:

> >> Hey, don't knock it til you've tried it.
> >>
> >> My first weekend in CA this time, Lin and I went up Nevada City or was
> >> it Grass Valley? Anyway, we had lunch there, and I had a sandwich
> >> with an egg on it. It was totally delicious. No, it wasn't a
> >> hamburger, but an egg on a sandwich can be a wondrous thing.
> >>
> >> I think I have a pic of it.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2hcn4vp.jpg

> >> Christine

> >Remember, a mainstay of fast-food breakfast, the Egg McMuffin, is a sandwich
> >with an egg on it. Regardless of how one feels about McDonalds, they sell a
> >lot of the things, suggesting that the notion of a sandwich with an egg on
> >it is not in general found to be totally repulsive.

> You two can cloud the issue all day long, but I'm still not convinced
> that egg on a hamburger is a good thing (nor is an egg on pizza).

Egg is great, alternately you can just lay a few catchup drenched French
fries on there

Scotty