Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Hamburgers

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 12:13:37 -0600, Andy > wrote:

>A toad in a hole the way my niece made them, the way I remember was to
>lightly toast some bread and then lightly butter both sides. Then with a
>drinking glass she'd twist-cut a hole out of the middle of the bread
>(save the holes!), toss it in the pan, toss a dot of butter into the hole
>to melt, then crack an egg into the hole until set sunny side up to your
>liking. Because of the nature of the beast she'd never flip them. Then
>you break bits of the toast apart and dip them into the egg as you ate
>them. It was very greasy the way she made them but we never complained,
>just used a fork. We were also served the holes to use if needed. It
>probably goes by other names.

She should have toasted one side, flipped it and then put the egg in
if she wanted it sunny side up.

My mother used to make that kind of stuff (egg in a hole) when I was a
kid. The bread was fine. I didn't like the egg part. She used to
bake eggs in the oven too, I'm sure it has a fancier name like shirred
- but the eggs.... I hated them. Haven't made either type to this
day.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.