Old 07-01-2010, 11:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "Good Eats" show about Alton Brown's diet

This week on "Good Eats", Alton Brown talked about the diet he followed in
dropping 50 pounds over a nine-month period. You can Google to find remarks
about how he's now incessantly snacking on sardines and almonds, but here's
what the show had to say:

Every day, Alton has the following: fruits, whole grains, leafy greens,
nuts, carrots, and green tea.

Three times a week, Alton has: oily fish, yogurt, broccoli, sweet potato,
and avocado.

Only *one* time a week, Alton has: red meat, pasta, dessert, or alcohol.

So, a few comments:

1. The program didn't mention that Alton runs four miles a day these days.
That's a HUGE omission. If you run four miles a day, you can pretty much eat
whatever you want and not gain weight.

2. I wouldn't mind only having red meat, pasta, or dessert only once a week,
and I wouldn't really mind only having alcohol once a week, but doesn't that
fly in the face of all those studies which said that red wine EVERY DAY is
good for you?

3. I like a lot of variety. I don't think there are enough ways to cook
sweet potatoes for me to like them three times a week. At least with
broccoli, there are different variations, but sweet potatoes all taste
pretty much the same. Don't get me wrong, I like sweet potatoes just fine,
but three times a week seems like too much to me.

4. About the only way I'd be happy eating carrots every single day would be
as a kind of mid-morning or mid-afternoon snack. But I guess there are
people who eat potatoes every day without a second thought, so maybe I just
haven't given enough thought to all the different ways to consume carrots.

5. The program wasn't clear about whether the items listed on the "every
day" and "thrice weekly" lists were the *only* things eaten on those days,
and I thought the implication was that they were not. I thought the first
two lists were intended to be inclusive (as in, "include these in what you
eat that day") and the third list was intended to be prohibited (as in,
"only eat these on special days"), but that was not specifically stated.

6. Where do chicken, pork, eggs, beans, and non-oily fish or shellfish fit
in there?

Other than those, I think the diet looks okay, and it's obviously worked
wonders for him. Maybe it's time to buy whole grains (wheat berries, millet,
quinoa, steel-cut oats, brown rice, barley, and wild rice) and leafy greens
(collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, kale, spinach, cabbage,
Chinese broccoli, and lettuce. I bet radicchio fits in there, too, even
though it's not green.)

Bob

Old 07-01-2010, 11:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger"

Other than those, I think the diet looks okay, and it's obviously worked
wonders for him. Maybe it's time to buy whole grains (wheat berries,
millet, quinoa, steel-cut oats, brown rice, barley, and wild rice) and
leafy greens (collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, kale,
spinach, cabbage, Chinese broccoli, and lettuce. I bet radicchio fits in
there, too, even though it's not green.)

Bob

Losing fifty pounds is obviously a different deal from taking off the ten
you gained over the holidays. I'm sure he did eat as restrictively as that.
I probably couldn't.

All those things on your list are worth having in the kitchen and basing
one's daily diet on. (Some radicchio is green, too, just not the kind sold
widely in the US)

I find exercise is key, but if he were 50 pounds overweight, I bet he didn't
start out running 4 miles a day. Lots of people can't run at all for one
reason or another. The good news is according to an Italian govt survey, if
you add 2 hours of walking per week to an otherwise unchanged regimen, you
will lose 12 kilos in a year.

The one thing I do know is that there is never a better time than now to get
healthy and trim down. It gets harder and looks worse every year you age.
Two years after quitiing smoking I am tackling the weight gain. Ugh. Makes
me nuts that I didn't stay quit when I was 38 and weighed 102 pounds.
Sometimes the wisdom of age comes a bit late.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 01/07/10 10:15, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

Other than those, I think the diet looks okay, and it's obviously worked
wonders for him.

It'd be more compelling if he didn't look like a cadaver now.

--
brother mouse
composed offline and synced later.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
This week on "Good Eats", Alton Brown talked about the diet he
followed in dropping 50 pounds over a nine-month period. You can
Google to find remarks about how he's now incessantly snacking on
sardines and almonds, but here's what the show had to say:

Every day, Alton has the following: fruits, whole grains, leafy
greens, nuts, carrots, and green tea.

Three times a week, Alton has: oily fish, yogurt, broccoli, sweet
potato, and avocado.

Only *one* time a week, Alton has: red meat, pasta, dessert, or
alcohol.

So, a few comments:

1. The program didn't mention that Alton runs four miles a day these
days. That's a HUGE omission. If you run four miles a day, you can
pretty much eat whatever you want and not gain weight.

I just watched that show last night. The running does explain a lot.
He has that runner look to him that I don't think you can get by diet
alone.

5. The program wasn't clear about whether the items listed on the
"every day" and "thrice weekly" lists were the *only* things eaten on
those days, and I thought the implication was that they were not. I
thought the first two lists were intended to be inclusive (as in,
"include these in what you eat that day") and the third list was
intended to be prohibited (as in, "only eat these on special days"),
but that was not specifically stated.

He has that smoothie every morning for breakfast, was that
included in his every day list? I don't see soy milk on his daily
list.

I don't know why broccoli is on the '3 times a week' list, why not
daily? Sweet potatoes and avocado 3 times a week, I get.

6. Where do chicken, pork, eggs, beans, and non-oily fish or
shellfish fit in there?

I wondered that myself. I guess the theme of the show was how
he lost weight and he doesn't eat those things. I don't see where
beans fit in there, either.

Other than those, I think the diet looks okay, and it's obviously
worked wonders for him. Maybe it's time to buy whole grains (wheat
berries, millet, quinoa, steel-cut oats, brown rice, barley, and wild
rice) and leafy greens (collard greens, turnip greens, mustard
greens, kale, spinach, cabbage, Chinese broccoli, and lettuce. I bet
radicchio fits in there, too, even though it's not green.)

No question most everyone should be eating more of that kind of food.

nancy
Old 07-01-2010, 03:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" wrote in message
[...]

I wondered if there wasn't some sort of program or competition going on at
Food Network. Bobby Flay has lost weight, his face is leaner, and Mario
Batali has too -- his face has lost the jowls.
Janet

Old 07-01-2010, 03:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:

I wondered if there wasn't some sort of program or competition going
on at Food Network. Bobby Flay has lost weight, his face is leaner,
and Mario Batali has too -- his face has lost the jowls.

I just saw some article about chefs losing weight ... Mario was one
of them, he said he got a look at himself on that Spain show and
realized he needed to lose weight for his family's sake.

nancy
Old 07-01-2010, 03:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" wrote in news:Uym1n.22667$0B7.14042
@newsfe13.ams2:

Janet Bostwick wrote:

I wondered if there wasn't some sort of program or competition going
on at Food Network. Bobby Flay has lost weight, his face is leaner,
and Mario Batali has too -- his face has lost the jowls.

I just saw some article about chefs losing weight ... Mario was one
of them, he said he got a look at himself on that Spain show and
realized he needed to lose weight for his family's sake.

nancy

Yes, he looked *humungous* on that show...... I think I even made comment on
his size (on that show) in here.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it is safer to
harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs."
Old 07-01-2010, 04:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterL1 wrote in
:

Janet Bostwick wrote:

I wondered if there wasn't some sort of program or competition going
on at Food Network. Bobby Flay has lost weight, his face is leaner,
and Mario Batali has too -- his face has lost the jowls.

I just saw some article about chefs losing weight ... Mario was one
of them, he said he got a look at himself on that Spain show and
realized he needed to lose weight for his family's sake.

nancy

Yes, he looked *humungous* on that show...... I think I even made
comment on his size (on that show) in here.

Opps!! Just found it.............

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: PeterL2
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 15:09:19 GMT
Subject: Chef Mario Batali...... what gives??

He's going to die very shortly......... unless he does something about his
ever expanding girth.

I just watched him with Gwyneth Paltrow(?) roaming around Spain.

Queenslands richest man is in the same boat!!

http://www.news.com.au/business/stor...28-462,00.html

Old 07-01-2010, 04:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Bob Terwilliger" wrote:

So, a few comments:

1. The program didn't mention that Alton runs four miles a day these days.
That's a HUGE omission. If you run four miles a day, you can pretty much eat
whatever you want and not gain weight.

Hardly. Men burn approximately 125 calories running a mile. Four miles
would only be 500 calories. That's a large fry at McDonalds. Hardly
eating anything one wants.

His running without changing his diet would result in losing a pound a
week. Combined with cutting calories he would lose weight at a faster
rate then that.

marcella
Old 07-01-2010, 06:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

The one thing I do know is that there is never a better time than now to get
healthy and trim down. *It gets harder and looks worse every year you age.

Well, that's not exactly true - a little fullness in the face keeps
the wrinkles from showing as much. ;-)

N.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 7, 8:52*am, "Nancy Young" wrote:
Janet Bostwick wrote:
I wondered if there wasn't some sort of program or competition going
on at Food Network. *Bobby Flay has lost weight, his face is leaner,
and Mario Batali has too -- his face has lost the jowls.

I just saw some article about chefs losing weight ... Mario was one
of them, he said he got a look at himself on that Spain show and
realized he needed to lose weight for his family's sake. *

nancy

Mario's recent appearance on the White House ICA didn't show him to be
noticeably thinner - at least I couldn't tell that he was. I haven't
seen him "live" recently.

N.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:
I wondered if there wasn't some sort of program or competition going
on at Food Network. *Bobby Flay has lost weight, his face is leaner,
and Mario Batali has too -- his face has lost the jowls.

I just saw some article about chefs losing weight ... Mario was one
of them, he said he got a look at himself on that Spain show and
realized he needed to lose weight for his family's sake. *

Probably Mario realized this standing next to the slim lithe Gwynnth
Paltrow!

John Kuthe...
Old 07-01-2010, 08:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:
I wondered if there wasn't some sort of program or competition going
on at Food Network. *Bobby Flay has lost weight, his face is leaner,
and Mario Batali has too -- his face has lost the jowls.

I just saw some article about chefs losing weight ... Mario was one
of them, he said he got a look at himself on that Spain show and
realized he needed to lose weight for his family's sake. *

Oh he was just a whale on that Spain show! I'm glad he's losing some
of that.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
,
John Kuthe wrote:

Probably Mario realized this standing next to the slim lithe Gwynnth
Paltrow!

Well, it did remind one somewhat of Jabba the Hutt and the Princess...

Old 07-01-2010, 09:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" wrote in message
This week on "Good Eats", Alton Brown talked about the diet he followed in
dropping 50 pounds over a nine-month period. You can Google to find
remarks about how he's now incessantly snacking on sardines and almonds,
but here's what the show had to say:

Glad to hear that, I thought he had a dreaded disease or something.

Every day, Alton has the following: fruits, whole grains, leafy greens,
nuts, carrots, and green tea.

Three times a week, Alton has: oily fish, yogurt, broccoli, sweet potato,
and avocado.

Only *one* time a week, Alton has: red meat, pasta, dessert, or alcohol.

So, a few comments:

1. The program didn't mention that Alton runs four miles a day these days.
That's a HUGE omission. If you run four miles a day, you can pretty much
eat whatever you want and not gain weight.

Umm, not too sure about that. I lost 50 pounds over a year ago by
restricting my intake and walking 4 miles 5 or 6 days a week. Since hitting
goal weight I've loosened my restrictions on which foods I eat, though I
still eat mostly low-fat whole foods and not that much red meat. I've
gained 9 pounds back over the last six months despite working out more than
an hour in the gym every work-day morning. My workout includes 45 minutes on
an elliptical trainer, the readout of which says I'm burning 600 calories
and logging over 5 miles.

It's a bit depressing to know that in 4 years I'll have gained most of my
weight back despite giving up beer, pizza deep-fried anything and sweets
(the things I can't seem to control on my own). I can't be as regimented as
I was when I was loosing weight for the rest of my life.

On the bright side, my resting pulse is 62, my BP is 120/80 and my
cholesterol is lower that it's been in 40 years. Since I do 99% of the
cooking in my house, my wife and kids have lost weight and gotten healthier.

2. I wouldn't mind only having red meat, pasta, or dessert only once a
week, and I wouldn't really mind only having alcohol once a week, but
doesn't that fly in the face of all those studies which said that red wine
EVERY DAY is good for you?

My doctor said I should drink a glass or two of red wine every day. Who am I
to go against my MD's orders?

3. I like a lot of variety. I don't think there are enough ways to cook
sweet potatoes for me to like them three times a week. At least with
broccoli, there are different variations, but sweet potatoes all taste
pretty much the same. Don't get me wrong, I like sweet potatoes just fine,
but three times a week seems like too much to me.

You can combine sweet potatoes with other foods and give enough variety to
pull off 3 days a week.

4. About the only way I'd be happy eating carrots every single day would
be as a kind of mid-morning or mid-afternoon snack. But I guess there are
people who eat potatoes every day without a second thought, so maybe I
just haven't given enough thought to all the different ways to consume
carrots.

I eat them pretty close to every day either to snack on or in a salad.
Jon