cruciverbalist

Default Alton Brown's "Strawberry" Show

Hi all.

Did anyone see this episode of Good Eats? AB made macerated
Strawberries.

The recipe is as follows:

2 pints medium size strawberries, hulled and sliced
1 (750 milliliter) bottle red wine
1/4 cup orange blossom honey
1 teaspoon finely chopped lemon zest
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup sugar

In a bowl combine all ingredients. Let stand in refrigerator for 2
hours

As you can see he never specified which wine he used. While I'm sure
that any red wine can probably be used, I would imagine that the
result would be different if Pinot was used instead of Cabernet
instead of Shiraz instead of Beaujolais, etc. So, I was wondering if
anyone here has ever made this recipe and what red wine worked best.
Or, if you haven't made this recipe, what red wine you imagine would
work best.

TIA, Jack
kevin

cruciverbalist wrote on 8/32/2005:

> Did anyone see this episode of Good Eats? AB made macerated
> Strawberries.
>
> The recipe is as follows:
>
> 2 pints medium size strawberries, hulled and sliced
> 1 (750 milliliter) bottle red wine
> 1/4 cup orange blossom honey
> 1 teaspoon finely chopped lemon zest
> 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
> 1/2 cup sugar

[etc]

I have used a cheap zinfandel with a very similar recipe.

Dimitri

"cruciverbalist" > wrote in message
> Hi all.
>
> Did anyone see this episode of Good Eats? AB made macerated
> Strawberries.
>
> The recipe is as follows:
>
> 2 pints medium size strawberries, hulled and sliced
> 1 (750 milliliter) bottle red wine
> 1/4 cup orange blossom honey
> 1 teaspoon finely chopped lemon zest
> 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
> 1/2 cup sugar
>
> In a bowl combine all ingredients. Let stand in refrigerator for 2
> hours
>
> As you can see he never specified which wine he used. While I'm sure
> that any red wine can probably be used, I would imagine that the
> result would be different if Pinot was used instead of Cabernet
> instead of Shiraz instead of Beaujolais, etc. So, I was wondering if
> anyone here has ever made this recipe and what red wine worked best.
> Or, if you haven't made this recipe, what red wine you imagine would
> work best.
>
> TIA, Jack

Dago red- it's sensational with Peaches.

Dimitri

Mr Libido Incognito

Dimitri wrote on 31 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> "cruciverbalist" > wrote in message
> > Hi all.
> >
> > Did anyone see this episode of Good Eats? AB made macerated
> > Strawberries.
> >
> > The recipe is as follows:
> >
> > 2 pints medium size strawberries, hulled and sliced
> > 1 (750 milliliter) bottle red wine
> > 1/4 cup orange blossom honey
> > 1 teaspoon finely chopped lemon zest
> > 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
> > 1/2 cup sugar
> >
> > In a bowl combine all ingredients. Let stand in refrigerator for 2
> > hours
> >
> > As you can see he never specified which wine he used. While I'm sure
> > that any red wine can probably be used, I would imagine that the
> > result would be different if Pinot was used instead of Cabernet
> > instead of Shiraz instead of Beaujolais, etc. So, I was wondering if
> > anyone here has ever made this recipe and what red wine worked best.
> > Or, if you haven't made this recipe, what red wine you imagine would
> > work best.
> >
> > TIA, Jack

> Dago red- it's sensational with Peaches.
>
> Dimitri

And replace lemon zest with orange zest...Orange zest and strawberries
were made for each other; the pairing of the two is that good.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.