Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Alton Brown's pickles show

All in all pretty good shows tonight. That sweet pear pickle looked real
good. However, as I have learned here and there, the simple addition of
garlic does not make cucumber pickles "kosher." Kosher-style perhaps, but I
think Brian and others would agree, n'est pas?
Edrena, politically correct from time to time.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:

> All in all pretty good shows tonight. That sweet pear pickle looked
> real good. However, as I have learned here and there, the simple
> addition of garlic does not make cucumber pickles "kosher."
> Kosher-style perhaps, but I think Brian and others would agree, n'est
> pas?

Yup. "Kosher" has a specific meaning and intention. Nothing wrong with
non-certified kosher-style, though. Although in general, kosher-style
refers to delis and such that not only serve meat dishes and dairy
dishes together, but have patently "trayf" items as Reuben Sandwiches,
which mix meat and dairy in the same dish. That's the short version

Anyway, to me "kosher" pickles are those that are fermented in a salt
brine, not in vinegar.

> Edrena, politically correct from time to time.

I think it's more "semantically correct" than politically.

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> The Joneses wrote:

(clipped)
> Yup. "Kosher" has a specific meaning and intention. Nothing wrong with
> non-certified kosher-style, though. Although in general, kosher-style
> refers to delis and such that not only serve meat dishes and dairy
> dishes together, but have patently "trayf" items as Reuben Sandwiches,

:But, but, that's my favorite one! Good thing I'm a mongrel 'merikan.

> which mix meat and dairy in the same dish. That's the short version
>
> Anyway, to me "kosher" pickles are those that are fermented in a salt
> brine, not in vinegar.
>
>> Edrena, politically correct from time to time.

> I think it's more "semantically correct" than politically.
>
> B/

: Goodness knows, I'd never knowingly be anti-semantic. (gg)

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:
> "Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
>> The Joneses wrote:
>>

> (clipped)
>> Yup. "Kosher" has a specific meaning and intention. Nothing wrong
>> with non-certified kosher-style, though. Although in general,
>> kosher-style refers to delis and such that not only serve meat
>> dishes and dairy dishes together, but have patently "trayf" items
>> as Reuben Sandwiches,

> :But, but, that's my favorite one! Good thing I'm a mongrel 'merikan.

On my mailing list, they've decided that it's better to have real cheese
and soy "meat" than the real meat and fake cheese. (sort of ontopic,
since cheese is a preservation techinque).

[...]

>>> Edrena, politically correct from time to time.

>> I think it's more "semantically correct" than politically.

> Goodness knows, I'd never knowingly be anti-semantic. (gg) E

You know I gave you that one

B/

"Good Eats" show about Alton Brown's diet Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 29 12-01-2010 10:28 PM
Alton Brown's "Strawberry" Show cruciverbalist General Cooking 4 01-09-2005 04:14 AM
Alton Brown's "Strawberry" Show cruciverbalist Wine 1 31-08-2005 11:49 PM
Alton Brown Me General Cooking 55 04-07-2005 08:10 PM
Alton Brown is Elton Brown all growed up Blair P. Houghton General Cooking 4 18-03-2004 07:11 AM