Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Bostwick[_2_] Janet Bostwick[_2_] is offline

Default "Good Eats" show about Alton Brown's diet

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> This week on "Good Eats", Alton Brown talked about the diet he followed in
> dropping 50 pounds over a nine-month period. You can Google to find
> remarks about how he's now incessantly snacking on sardines and almonds,
> but here's what the show had to say:
>
> Every day, Alton has the following: fruits, whole grains, leafy greens,
> nuts, carrots, and green tea.
>
> Three times a week, Alton has: oily fish, yogurt, broccoli, sweet potato,
> and avocado.
>
> Only *one* time a week, Alton has: red meat, pasta, dessert, or alcohol.
>

> So, a few comments:
>
> 1. The program didn't mention that Alton runs four miles a day these days.
> That's a HUGE omission. If you run four miles a day, you can pretty much
> eat whatever you want and not gain weight.
>
> 2. I wouldn't mind only having red meat, pasta, or dessert only once a
> week, and I wouldn't really mind only having alcohol once a week, but
> doesn't that fly in the face of all those studies which said that red wine
> EVERY DAY is good for you?
>
> 3. I like a lot of variety. I don't think there are enough ways to cook
> sweet potatoes for me to like them three times a week. At least with
> broccoli, there are different variations, but sweet potatoes all taste
> pretty much the same. Don't get me wrong, I like sweet potatoes just fine,
> but three times a week seems like too much to me.
>
> 4. About the only way I'd be happy eating carrots every single day would
> be as a kind of mid-morning or mid-afternoon snack. But I guess there are
> people who eat potatoes every day without a second thought, so maybe I
> just haven't given enough thought to all the different ways to consume
> carrots.
>
> 5. The program wasn't clear about whether the items listed on the "every
> day" and "thrice weekly" lists were the *only* things eaten on those days,
> and I thought the implication was that they were not. I thought the first
> two lists were intended to be inclusive (as in, "include these in what you
> eat that day") and the third list was intended to be prohibited (as in,
> "only eat these on special days"), but that was not specifically stated.
>
> 6. Where do chicken, pork, eggs, beans, and non-oily fish or shellfish fit
> in there?
>

> Other than those, I think the diet looks okay, and it's obviously worked
> wonders for him. Maybe it's time to buy whole grains (wheat berries,
> millet, quinoa, steel-cut oats, brown rice, barley, and wild rice) and
> leafy greens (collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, kale,
> spinach, cabbage, Chinese broccoli, and lettuce. I bet radicchio fits in
> there, too, even though it's not green.)
>
> Bob

I wondered if there wasn't some sort of program or competition going on at
Food Network. Bobby Flay has lost weight, his face is leaner, and Mario
Batali has too -- his face has lost the jowls.
Janet