Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I'm going to make Bourbon Truffles this year!

Found a bunch of recipes via Google. My plan, about 4 TBS of bourbon
to 1 lb chopped chocolate, into the boiled cream. Have not determined
how much cream yet, I vary mine every year. I have a failing of making
my truffles too soft from using too much cream. Gotta watch that!

:-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 11, 8:20*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
> Found a bunch of recipes via Google. My plan, about 4 TBS of bourbon
> to 1 lb chopped chocolate, into the boiled cream. Have not determined
> how much cream yet, I vary mine every year. I have a failing of making
> my truffles too soft from using too much cream. Gotta watch that!
>
> :-)
>
> John Kuthe...

Are you going to dip them in tempered chocolate or roll them in
something to finish them?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> Found a bunch of recipes via Google. My plan, about 4 TBS of bourbon
> to 1 lb chopped chocolate, into the boiled cream. Have not determined
> how much cream yet, I vary mine every year. I have a failing of making
> my truffles too soft from using too much cream. Gotta watch that!
>
> :-)
>
> John Kuthe...

I would suggest using between 6 to 7 fluid oz of heavy cream for a pound of
chocolate, but definitely not more than a cup. (A cup will be quite soft. A
lot depends on whether you add anything else, such as invert sugar and
butter, and on how you plan to form them.) Add a pinch of salt to the cream
before heating it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
>> Found a bunch of recipes via Google. My plan, about 4 TBS of bourbon
>> to 1 lb chopped chocolate, into the boiled cream. Have not determined
>> how much cream yet, I vary mine every year. I have a failing of making
>> my truffles too soft from using too much cream. Gotta watch that!
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> John Kuthe...

> I would suggest using between 6 to 7 fluid oz of heavy cream for a pound of
> chocolate, but definitely not more than a cup. (A cup will be quite soft. A
> lot depends on whether you add anything else, such as invert sugar and
> butter, and on how you plan to form them.) Add a pinch of salt to the cream
> before heating it.

Although not addressed to me, thank you! It seems every year, I
ponder this anew, comparing many recipes. I figure YOU know!!!!
--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:

> Although not addressed to me, thank you! It seems every year, I ponder
> this anew, comparing many recipes. I figure YOU know!!!!

Jean, you need to google up Kay Hartman's Truffle recipes. She was the
RFC Truffle Goddess and was famous for them. I'm hoping to make some for
gifts this year also... assuming I can get my act together for it? LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>
>> Although not addressed to me, thank you! It seems every year, I
>> ponder this anew, comparing many recipes. I figure YOU know!!!!

> Jean, you need to google up Kay Hartman's Truffle recipes. She was the
> RFC Truffle Goddess and was famous for them. I'm hoping to make some
> for gifts this year also... assuming I can get my act together for
> it? LOL

I found a couple of her recipes, and I would not recommend using the method
or the proportions given. But to each his own.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:
> Goomba wrote:
>> Jean B. wrote:
>>
>>> Although not addressed to me, thank you! It seems every year, I
>>> ponder this anew, comparing many recipes. I figure YOU know!!!!

>> Jean, you need to google up Kay Hartman's Truffle recipes. She was the
>> RFC Truffle Goddess and was famous for them. I'm hoping to make some
>> for gifts this year also... assuming I can get my act together for
>> it? LOL

> I found a couple of her recipes, and I would not recommend using the method
> or the proportions given. But to each his own.

Really? Why? What do you find off about her proportions or method? Every
time I've made them they were wonderful!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba > wrote:
> Jean, you need to google up Kay Hartman's Truffle recipes. She was the
> RFC Truffle Goddess and was famous for them. I'm hoping to make some for
> gifts this year also... assuming I can get my act together for it? LOL

Kay's recipe is on the r.f.c. website:
http://recfoodcooking.com/tips/truffles.html
Recipe and tips were posted by Charlotte Blackmer.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Who Said Chickens Have Fingers?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>
>> Although not addressed to me, thank you! It seems every year, I
>> ponder this anew, comparing many recipes. I figure YOU know!!!!

> Jean, you need to google up Kay Hartman's Truffle recipes. She was the
> RFC Truffle Goddess and was famous for them. I'm hoping to make some for
> gifts this year also... assuming I can get my act together for it? LOL

I'm not going to spend a lot of time on this right now, but the
first hit is this rather boozy one:

<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.cooking/browse_thread/thread/ac3d89177d0573c1/f571b553a71282b1?q=truffles+group:rec.food.cooking +author:Kay+author:Hartman#f571b553a71282b1>

or

http://tinyurl.com/yej4jqf

In another iteration, she says you can sub 1/4 c cream for 9 Tbsps
liqueur. That may be a mistake, because elsewhere she subs an
equal amount.

To give credit where credit is due, earlier, in 1995, she said
"The truffles I make are a variation of the recipe published once
in the
Williams Sonoma catalogue."

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:
> Goomba wrote:
>
>> Jean B. wrote:
>>

>>> Although not addressed to me, thank you! It seems every year, I
>>> ponder this anew, comparing many recipes. I figure YOU know!!!!
>>>

>> Jean, you need to google up Kay Hartman's Truffle recipes. She was the
>> RFC Truffle Goddess and was famous for them. I'm hoping to make some
>> for gifts this year also... assuming I can get my act together for
>> it? LOL
>>

> I found a couple of her recipes, and I would not recommend using the method
> or the proportions given. But to each his own.

When I made her truffles, it was a flop. :-( This was about 6-8 yrs
ago and I can not remember what was wrong. It was probably something I
did wrong. I did not try again.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> Janet wrote:
>> Goomba wrote:

>>> Jean, you need to google up Kay Hartman's Truffle recipes. She was
>>> the RFC Truffle Goddess and was famous for them. I'm hoping to make
>>> some for gifts this year also... assuming I can get my act together
>>> for it? LOL

>> I found a couple of her recipes, and I would not recommend using the
>> method or the proportions given. But to each his own.

> Really? Why? What do you find off about her proportions or method?
> Every time I've made them they were wonderful!

Well, the recipes I found were a couple of variations on a single theme.
They called for 1 3/4 lbs of chocolate (type not specified) and 1 cup cream.
I feel that 6 oz heavy cream per pound of chocolate is the best proportion,
so I would use more cream. I also like to add a pinch of salt and a small
quantity of invert sugar. I usually use a combination of two chocolates, and
not Callebaut, which is what this recipe mentioned, which I find to be
rather bland.

Then, she says to spin the chocolate in a food processor and add the cream
in the processor. Although you can certainly do this--and it is more common
with thinner ganaches that are to be poured over a cake, I'd suggest pouring
the cream over the finely chopped chocolate, waiting a few minutes, then
stirring from the center of the bowl to emulsify.

The recipe then said to refrigerate the ganache. I actually beat a quantity
of unsalted, softened butter in when the ganache has reached room
temperature but not set, plus any liqueurs (spices having been infused and
strained out at an earlier stage). Then I let it set up overnight at cool
room temperature. The recipe I saw suggested 1/4 cup orange liqueur for the
1 3/4 lb chocolate. I don't think that's enough. (I also use some other
ingredients in orange ganache.)

She then says to form the truffles and roll in cocoa. I form the truffles,
undercoat with a thin layer of tempered couverture, and dip in tempered
couverture, garnishing as appropriate.

Her recipe was very basic, aimed at someone who didn't want to get technical
or temper chocolate. As long as you use decent chocolate they are going to
be okay, but not have the flavor, mouthfeel, or staying power I would look
for in an outstanding truffle.

Of course, most commerical "truffles" are really molded chocolates, the
product of severe corner-cutting on ingredients and method, and not worth
eating, IMHO.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 11, 11:01*am, merryb > wrote:
> On Dec 11, 8:20*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
>
> > Found a bunch of recipes via Google. My plan, about 4 TBS of bourbon
> > to 1 lb chopped chocolate, into the boiled cream. Have not determined
> > how much cream yet, I vary mine every year. I have a failing of making
> > my truffles too soft from using too much cream. Gotta watch that!

> > :-)

> > John Kuthe...

> Are you going to dip them in tempered chocolate or roll them in
> something to finish them?

I buy this dipping chocolate from Chocoley:

http://www.chocoley.com/badabingbadaboomcandymelts.htm

It's really good! I've tried a bunch of no-temper dipping compound
chocolates, and this is by far the best I've tried.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 11, 8:04*pm, "Janet" > wrote:
> Goomba wrote:
> > Janet wrote:

> >> I found a couple of her recipes, and I would not recommend using the
> >> method or the proportions given. *But to each his own.

> > Really? Why? What do you find off about her proportions or method?
> > Every time I've made them they were wonderful!

> Well, the recipes I found were a couple of variations on a single theme.
> They called for 1 3/4 lbs of chocolate (type not specified) and 1 cup cream.
> I feel that 6 oz heavy cream per pound of chocolate is the best proportion,
> so I would use more cream. I also like to add a pinch of salt and a small
> quantity of invert sugar. I usually use a combination of two chocolates, and
> not Callebaut, which is what this recipe mentioned, which I find to be
> rather bland.
>
> Then, she says to spin the chocolate in a food processor and add the cream
> in the processor. Although you can certainly do this--and it is more common
> with thinner ganaches that are to be poured over a cake, I'd suggest pouring
> the cream over the finely chopped chocolate, waiting a few minutes, then
> stirring from the center of the bowl to emulsify.
>
> The recipe then said to refrigerate the ganache. I actually beat a quantity
> of unsalted, softened butter in when the ganache has reached room
> temperature but not set, plus any liqueurs (spices having been infused and
> strained out at an earlier stage). Then I let it set up overnight at cool
> room temperature. The recipe I saw suggested 1/4 *cup orange liqueur for the
> 1 3/4 lb chocolate. I don't think that's enough. (I also use some other
> ingredients in orange ganache.)
>
> She then says to form the truffles and roll in cocoa. I form the truffles,
> undercoat with a thin layer of tempered couverture, and dip in tempered
> couverture, garnishing as appropriate.
>
> Her recipe was very basic, aimed at someone who didn't want to get technical
> or temper chocolate. As long as you use decent chocolate they are going to
> be okay, but not have the flavor, mouthfeel, or staying power I would look
> for in an outstanding truffle.
>
> Of course, most commerical "truffles" are *really molded chocolates, the
> product of severe corner-cutting on ingredients and method, and not worth
> eating, IMHO.

I used 3# of chopped chocolate (Herhsey's Special Dark) and 1 cup
cream, 1/3 scant cup bourbon.

It made a fantastic ganache and it's setting in the freezer now. It's
gonna be great!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 08:20:58 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>Found a bunch of recipes via Google. My plan, about 4 TBS of bourbon
>to 1 lb chopped chocolate, into the boiled cream. Have not determined
>how much cream yet, I vary mine every year. I have a failing of making
>my truffles too soft from using too much cream. Gotta watch that!

Having made many many many bourbon bon bons/truffles over the years, I
can safely say.... use rum.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

> I used 3# of chopped chocolate (Herhsey's Special Dark) and 1 cup
> cream, 1/3 scant cup bourbon.
>
> It made a fantastic ganache and it's setting in the freezer now. It's
> gonna be great!
>
> John Kuthe...

They are going to be hard as rocks. A) not enough cream for 3 pounds of
chocolate, B) not enough bourbon for 3 pounds of chocolate, C) well, if you
like that kind of chocolate I guess that's fine, but....d) ganache NEVER
needs to be put in the freezer!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
>
>> I used 3# of chopped chocolate (Herhsey's Special Dark) and 1 cup
>> cream, 1/3 scant cup bourbon.
>>
>> It made a fantastic ganache and it's setting in the freezer now. It's
>> gonna be great!
>>
>> John Kuthe...

> They are going to be hard as rocks. A) not enough cream for 3 pounds of
> chocolate, B) not enough bourbon for 3 pounds of chocolate, C) well, if you
> like that kind of chocolate I guess that's fine, but....d) ganache NEVER
> needs to be put in the freezer!

Darn! I may have to make truffles. I don't like mine boozy, so I
add a bit of flavoring--my daughter likes mint; I like coffee....

This type of truffle is so easy to make. Last year, my daughter
made some for a chocoholic friend.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 12, 1:00*am, sf > wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 08:20:58 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
>
> > wrote:
> >Found a bunch of recipes via Google. My plan, about 4 TBS of bourbon
> >to 1 lb chopped chocolate, into the boiled cream. Have not determined
> >how much cream yet, I vary mine every year. I have a failing of making
> >my truffles too soft from using too much cream. Gotta watch that!

> Having made many many many bourbon bon bons/truffles over the years, I
> can safely say.... use rum.
>
> --
> I love cooking with wine.
> Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Too late!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 12, 7:36*am, "Janet" > wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
> > I used 3# of chopped chocolate (Herhsey's Special Dark) and 1 cup
> > cream, 1/3 scant cup bourbon.

> > It made a fantastic ganache and it's setting in the freezer now. It's
> > gonna be great!

> > John Kuthe...

> They are going to be hard as rocks. A) not enough cream for 3 pounds of
> chocolate, B) not enough bourbon for 3 pounds of chocolate, C) well, if you
> like that kind of chocolate I guess that's fine, but....d) ganache NEVER
> needs to be put in the freezer!

We'll see.

And I've put ganache in the freezer before. Does not hurt it. I take
it out and let it come up to cool room temp before working with it.
Refrigerator or freezer is just to make it set.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 12, 7:36*am, "Janet" > wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
> > I used 3# of chopped chocolate (Herhsey's Special Dark) and 1 cup
> > cream, 1/3 scant cup bourbon.

> > It made a fantastic ganache and it's setting in the freezer now. It's
> > gonna be great!

> > John Kuthe...

> They are going to be hard as rocks. A) not enough cream for 3 pounds of
> chocolate, B) not enough bourbon for 3 pounds of chocolate, C) well, if you
> like that kind of chocolate I guess that's fine, but....d) ganache NEVER
> needs to be put in the freezer!

You were right, Way too stiff a ganache. Should have used 1/2 cup
maybe plus of bourbon!

They are good though. Mostly chocolate with just a hint of bourbon.
Needs more bourbon though.

Note to self for next year! :-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> On Dec 12, 7:36 am, "Janet" > wrote:
>> John Kuthe wrote:
>>> I used 3# of chopped chocolate (Herhsey's Special Dark) and 1 cup
>>> cream, 1/3 scant cup bourbon.

>>> It made a fantastic ganache and it's setting in the freezer now.
>>> It's gonna be great!

>>> John Kuthe...

>> They are going to be hard as rocks. A) not enough cream for 3 pounds
>> of chocolate, B) not enough bourbon for 3 pounds of chocolate, C)
>> well, if you like that kind of chocolate I guess that's fine,
>> but....d) ganache NEVER needs to be put in the freezer!

> You were right, Way too stiff a ganache. Should have used 1/2 cup
> maybe plus of bourbon!
>
> They are good though. Mostly chocolate with just a hint of bourbon.
> Needs more bourbon though.
>
> Note to self for next year! :-)
>
> John Kuthe...

Generally speaking, I'd use about 4 tablespoons of whatever alcohol you are
using per pound of chocolate, depending on how strong the flavor is, what
other flavors you may be using, and what effect you are aiming at.

By the way, if you haven't rolled your ganache in cocoa or anything like
that yet, you can carefully melt your ganache and add more hot cream and
more bourbon, and let it set up again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

> Well, the recipes I found were a couple of variations on a single theme.
> They called for 1 3/4 lbs of chocolate (type not specified) and 1 cup
> cream. I feel that 6 oz heavy cream per pound of chocolate is the best
> proportion, so I would use more cream. I also like to add a pinch of salt
> and a small quantity of invert sugar. I usually use a combination of two
> chocolates, and not Callebaut, which is what this recipe mentioned, which
> I find to be rather bland.
>
> Then, she says to spin the chocolate in a food processor and add the cream
> in the processor. Although you can certainly do this--and it is more
> common with thinner ganaches that are to be poured over a cake, I'd
> suggest pouring the cream over the finely chopped chocolate, waiting a few
> minutes, then stirring from the center of the bowl to emulsify.
>
> The recipe then said to refrigerate the ganache. I actually beat a
> quantity of unsalted, softened butter in when the ganache has reached room
> temperature but not set, plus any liqueurs (spices having been infused and
> strained out at an earlier stage). Then I let it set up overnight at cool
> room temperature. The recipe I saw suggested 1/4 cup orange liqueur for
> the 1 3/4 lb chocolate. I don't think that's enough. (I also use some
> other ingredients in orange ganache.)
>
> She then says to form the truffles and roll in cocoa. I form the truffles,
> undercoat with a thin layer of tempered couverture, and dip in tempered
> couverture, garnishing as appropriate.
>
> Her recipe was very basic, aimed at someone who didn't want to get
> technical or temper chocolate. As long as you use decent chocolate they
> are going to be okay, but not have the flavor, mouthfeel, or staying power
> I would look for in an outstanding truffle.
>
> Of course, most commerical "truffles" are really molded chocolates, the
> product of severe corner-cutting on ingredients and method, and not worth
> eating, IMHO.

I'm saving this post, and I look forward to trying out your methods. I'm a
sucker for Valhrona chocolate; that's probably what I'd use for truffles
unless I had a compelling reason to vary. (I use El Rey white chocolate,
though.) Some of my favorite chocolate flavor combinations a

Dark chocolate and cardamom
Dark chocolate and cranberry
Dark chocolate, cinnamon, and cloves
Milk chocolate and ginger
Milk chocolate and orange
Milk chocolate, orange, and hazelnut
White chocolate and lemon
White chocolate and pistachio
White chocolate and lavender

Now I have to make those combinations into truffles!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 04:50:39 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Janet wrote:
>
>> Well, the recipes I found were a couple of variations on a single theme.
>> They called for 1 3/4 lbs of chocolate (type not specified) and 1 cup
>> cream. I feel that 6 oz heavy cream per pound of chocolate is the best
>> proportion, so I would use more cream. I also like to add a pinch of salt
>> and a small quantity of invert sugar. I usually use a combination of two
>> chocolates, and not Callebaut, which is what this recipe mentioned, which
>> I find to be rather bland.
>>
>> Then, she says to spin the chocolate in a food processor and add the cream
>> in the processor. Although you can certainly do this--and it is more
>> common with thinner ganaches that are to be poured over a cake, I'd
>> suggest pouring the cream over the finely chopped chocolate, waiting a few
>> minutes, then stirring from the center of the bowl to emulsify.
>>
>> The recipe then said to refrigerate the ganache. I actually beat a
>> quantity of unsalted, softened butter in when the ganache has reached room
>> temperature but not set, plus any liqueurs (spices having been infused and
>> strained out at an earlier stage). Then I let it set up overnight at cool
>> room temperature. The recipe I saw suggested 1/4 cup orange liqueur for
>> the 1 3/4 lb chocolate. I don't think that's enough. (I also use some
>> other ingredients in orange ganache.)
>>
>> She then says to form the truffles and roll in cocoa. I form the truffles,
>> undercoat with a thin layer of tempered couverture, and dip in tempered
>> couverture, garnishing as appropriate.
>>
>> Her recipe was very basic, aimed at someone who didn't want to get
>> technical or temper chocolate. As long as you use decent chocolate they
>> are going to be okay, but not have the flavor, mouthfeel, or staying power
>> I would look for in an outstanding truffle.
>>
>> Of course, most commerical "truffles" are really molded chocolates, the
>> product of severe corner-cutting on ingredients and method, and not worth
>> eating, IMHO.

>I'm saving this post, and I look forward to trying out your methods. I'm a
>sucker for Valhrona chocolate; that's probably what I'd use for truffles
>unless I had a compelling reason to vary. (I use El Rey white chocolate,
>though.) Some of my favorite chocolate flavor combinations a
>
>Dark chocolate and cardamom
>Dark chocolate and cranberry
>Dark chocolate, cinnamon, and cloves
>Milk chocolate and ginger
>Milk chocolate and orange
>Milk chocolate, orange, and hazelnut
>White chocolate and lemon
>White chocolate and pistachio
>White chocolate and lavender
>
>Now I have to make those combinations into truffles!

Eat all those ingredients and shove a sausage tube up your ass.

Ahahahahahaha. . . .

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

>> I'm saving this post, and I look forward to trying out your methods. I'm
>> a sucker for Valhrona chocolate; that's probably what I'd use for
>> truffles unless I had a compelling reason to vary. (I use El Rey white
>> chocolate, though.) Some of my favorite chocolate flavor combinations
>>
>> Dark chocolate and cardamom
>> Dark chocolate and cranberry
>> Dark chocolate, cinnamon, and cloves
>> Milk chocolate and ginger
>> Milk chocolate and orange
>> Milk chocolate, orange, and hazelnut
>> White chocolate and lemon
>> White chocolate and pistachio
>> White chocolate and lavender
>>
>> Now I have to make those combinations into truffles!
>>

> Eat all those ingredients and shove a sausage tube up your ass.
>
> Ahahahahahaha. . . .

So now we all know how YOU make truffles.

Bob