Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Janet is offline

Default I'm going to make Bourbon Truffles this year!

Goomba wrote:
> Janet wrote:
>> Goomba wrote:

>>> Jean, you need to google up Kay Hartman's Truffle recipes. She was
>>> the RFC Truffle Goddess and was famous for them. I'm hoping to make
>>> some for gifts this year also... assuming I can get my act together
>>> for it? LOL

>> I found a couple of her recipes, and I would not recommend using the
>> method or the proportions given. But to each his own.

> Really? Why? What do you find off about her proportions or method?
> Every time I've made them they were wonderful!

Well, the recipes I found were a couple of variations on a single theme.
They called for 1 3/4 lbs of chocolate (type not specified) and 1 cup cream.
I feel that 6 oz heavy cream per pound of chocolate is the best proportion,
so I would use more cream. I also like to add a pinch of salt and a small
quantity of invert sugar. I usually use a combination of two chocolates, and
not Callebaut, which is what this recipe mentioned, which I find to be
rather bland.

Then, she says to spin the chocolate in a food processor and add the cream
in the processor. Although you can certainly do this--and it is more common
with thinner ganaches that are to be poured over a cake, I'd suggest pouring
the cream over the finely chopped chocolate, waiting a few minutes, then
stirring from the center of the bowl to emulsify.

The recipe then said to refrigerate the ganache. I actually beat a quantity
of unsalted, softened butter in when the ganache has reached room
temperature but not set, plus any liqueurs (spices having been infused and
strained out at an earlier stage). Then I let it set up overnight at cool
room temperature. The recipe I saw suggested 1/4 cup orange liqueur for the
1 3/4 lb chocolate. I don't think that's enough. (I also use some other
ingredients in orange ganache.)

She then says to form the truffles and roll in cocoa. I form the truffles,
undercoat with a thin layer of tempered couverture, and dip in tempered
couverture, garnishing as appropriate.

Her recipe was very basic, aimed at someone who didn't want to get technical
or temper chocolate. As long as you use decent chocolate they are going to
be okay, but not have the flavor, mouthfeel, or staying power I would look
for in an outstanding truffle.

Of course, most commerical "truffles" are really molded chocolates, the
product of severe corner-cutting on ingredients and method, and not worth
eating, IMHO.