Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How to make a classic bourbon old fashioned—the right way

http://www.today.com/food/how-make-c...shioned-t49216
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/9/2015 5:42 PM, Janet B wrote:

> http://www.today.com/food/how-make-c...shioned-t49216
> Janet US

I enjoy bourbon, but never tried making one. Easy enough so I may do it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 22:44:48 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 10/9/2015 5:42 PM, Janet B wrote:
>>
>> http://www.today.com/food/how-make-c...shioned-t49216
>> Janet US
>>

> I enjoy bourbon, but never tried making one. Easy enough so I may do it.

Sounds good to me.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/9/2015 9:15 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Looks like it would taste like Southern Comfort(tm).

You and Marty can swill that back, sot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/10/2015 8:42 AM, Janet B wrote:

> http://www.today.com/food/how-make-c...shioned-t49216
> Janet US

I found it all too easy to drink! Probably best I don't make my own.

--

Xeno

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 15:42:20 -0600, Janet B >
wrote:

>http://www.today.com/food/how-make-c...shioned-t49216
>Janet US

Screw all that trash in my bourbon and water!! I like my Fine Fresh
Squeezed Kentucky Corn Juice the OLD FASHIONED way, straight up!!

John (bourbonophile) Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 10/9/2015 5:42 PM, Janet B wrote:
> >
> > http://www.today.com/food/how-make-c...shioned-t49216
> > Janet US
> >

> I enjoy bourbon, but never tried making one. Easy enough so I may do it.

Ed. Please point me to a decent bourbon for cooking. Whatever you
suggest, I'll probably try a drink or two also. (It all tastes bad and
harsh to me). Also...is Jack Daniels Black Label the same taste just
made elsewhere and therefor not officially bourbon?

I want to buy some for 2 recipes. The Bobby Flay bourbon butter that I
posted today but also I want to have some to come up with a good
honey-boubon sauce for a chicken dip. I'll have to experiment with
that one.

I guess I'm just looking for a decent all-around bourbon but I don't
anything about any of the hard licquor.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-10-10 05:42:23 +0000, John Kuthe said:

> On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 15:42:20 -0600, Janet B >
> wrote:
>

>> http://www.today.com/food/how-make-c...shioned-t49216
>> Janet US

> Screw all that trash in my bourbon and water!! I like my Fine Fresh
> Squeezed Kentucky Corn Juice the OLD FASHIONED way, straight up!!

Agreed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 08:56:40 -0700, gtr > wrote:

>On 2015-10-10 05:42:23 +0000, John Kuthe said:
>
>> On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 15:42:20 -0600, Janet B >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> http://www.today.com/food/how-make-c...shioned-t49216
>>> Janet US

>> Screw all that trash in my bourbon and water!! I like my Fine Fresh
>> Squeezed Kentucky Corn Juice the OLD FASHIONED way, straight up!!

>Agreed.

People who put trash in bourbon really don't like bourbon!!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/9/2015 9:15 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Looks like it would taste like Southern Comfort(tm).
>
> -sw

To an alky like you, what doesn't?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-10-10 16:21:55 +0000, John Kuthe said:

> On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 08:56:40 -0700, gtr > wrote:
>
>> On 2015-10-10 05:42:23 +0000, John Kuthe said:

>>> Screw all that trash in my bourbon and water!! I like my Fine Fresh
>>> Squeezed Kentucky Corn Juice the OLD FASHIONED way, straight up!!

>> Agreed.

> People who put trash in bourbon really don't like bourbon!!

Oh, I like the occasional Manhattan or Sazerac well enough. But they
remain 2nd best to good bourbon with a chunk or two of ice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-10-10 3:06 PM, gtr wrote:

>> People who put trash in bourbon really don't like bourbon!!

> Oh, I like the occasional Manhattan or Sazerac well enough. But they
> remain 2nd best to good bourbon with a chunk or two of ice.

I once had a Manhattan made with Bourbon and it was really bad. IMO, rye
whiskey makes a much better one. I don't even like rye. I don't drink
it straight, on the rocks, with water, soda, ginger ale or the other
standards mixes, but I love it with some red Vermouth.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-10-10, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> I enjoy bourbon, but never tried making one. Easy enough so I may do it.

I recall the thread about making a Manhattan. I even bought a bottle
of that Luxardo Maraschino liqueur. Lordy, was that stuff ever
nasty. Took me 6 mos to sip it gone and the liquor store that ordered it
for me still has the other bottle, two yrs later.

I'll stick w/ Bourbon and water, thank you.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-10-10 19:55:32 +0000, notbob said:

> On 2015-10-10, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> I enjoy bourbon, but never tried making one. Easy enough so I may do it.

> I recall the thread about making a Manhattan. I even bought a bottle
> of that Luxardo Maraschino liqueur. Lordy, was that stuff ever
> nasty. Took me 6 mos to sip it gone and the liquor store that ordered it
> for me still has the other bottle, two yrs later.
>
> I'll stick w/ Bourbon and water, thank you.

I love Maraschino but you practically have to use an eye dropper to
avoid it electing itself president.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/10/2015 9:55 AM, Gary wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> On 10/9/2015 5:42 PM, Janet B wrote:
>>>
>>> http://www.today.com/food/how-make-c...shioned-t49216
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> I enjoy bourbon, but never tried making one. Easy enough so I may do it.

> Ed. Please point me to a decent bourbon for cooking. Whatever you
> suggest, I'll probably try a drink or two also. (It all tastes bad and
> harsh to me). Also...is Jack Daniels Black Label the same taste just
> made elsewhere and therefor not officially bourbon?
>
> I want to buy some for 2 recipes. The Bobby Flay bourbon butter that I
> posted today but also I want to have some to come up with a good
> honey-boubon sauce for a chicken dip. I'll have to experiment with
> that one.
>
> I guess I'm just looking for a decent all-around bourbon but I don't
> anything about any of the hard licquor.

I've never been a fan of Jack Daniels, but it is very popular. Nor am I
a fan of Jim Beam. Jack can qualify as a bourbon but chooses not to.
To qualify as bourbon it has to be made in USA and more than 51% corn.

IMO. the cheap brands are all harsh. There are many good ones in the
mid-price range. Makers Mark is a good one. Take a look at the local
price and just about anything in that category will be good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 10, 2015 at 11:34:06 AM UTC-5, Mirrror of TrVth wrote:

> On 10/9/2015 9:15 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>
> > Looks like it would taste like Southern Comfort(tm).
> >
> > -sw

> To an alky like you, what doesn't?

Only if you use that sorry ass liquor. S.C. is
pretty cheap, sorry stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 10, 2015 at 10:42:44 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I've never been a fan of Jack Daniels, but it is very popular. Nor am I
> a fan of Jim Beam. Jack can qualify as a bourbon but chooses not to.
> To qualify as bourbon it has to be made in USA and more than 51% corn.
>
> IMO. the cheap brands are all harsh. There are many good ones in the
> mid-price range. Makers Mark is a good one. Take a look at the local
> price and just about anything in that category will be good.

I'm not a fan of Jack Daniels either, but did enjoy the
tour of the distillery. My personal favorite is Very
Old Barton.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-10-11 03:42:35 +0000, Ed Pawlowski said:

> I've never been a fan of Jack Daniels, but it is very popular. Nor am I
> a fan of Jim Beam. Jack can qualify as a bourbon but chooses not to.
> To qualify as bourbon it has to be made in USA and more than 51% corn.

I like Jack Daniels well enough but it's a little sweeter than I
prefer. Jim Beam is okay too, but a little too mineral.

> IMO. the cheap brands are all harsh. There are many good ones in the
> mid-price range. Makers Mark is a good one. Take a look at the local
> price and just about anything in that category will be good.

MM is solid as is Knob Creek and Booker's small batch. My favorite
right now is Four Roses--almost any configuration but I'm regularly
buying the barrel select. I also am a big fan of Belle Meade. There
are others at $35 and up that are good, but these two have impressed me
enough to make them my regulars.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 11, 2015 at 12:03:42 PM UTC-5, gtr wrote:

> On 2015-10-11 04:34:29 +0000, said:
>
> > S.C. is
> > pretty cheap, sorry stuff.

> It's a liqueur; loud and gaudy and obvious. And tasty.

If you like it, ok. But I wouldn't use it for an
Old Fashion.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How to make a classic bourbon old fashioned葉he right way

I wouldn't mix bourbon or brandy with anything.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-10-11 4:55 PM, wrote:
> I wouldn't mix bourbon or brandy with anything.

I have never been impressed with bourbon, but I have used brandy in a
lot of things. I have used it with steak au poivre, I pour it on my
Christmas fruit cakes. I use it for flmabees. Once in a while I drink it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How to make a classic bourbon old fashioned?he right way

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 13:55:05 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>I wouldn't mix bourbon or brandy with anything.

Much like you don't mix attributions and context with anything?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-10-11 20:55:05 +0000, said:

> I wouldn't mix bourbon or brandy with anything.

Sidecar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2015101115441110204-xxx@yyyzzz...
> On 2015-10-11 20:55:05 +0000, said:
>
>> I wouldn't mix bourbon or brandy with anything.

> Sidecar.

Eggnog.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> IMO. the cheap brands are all harsh. There are many good ones in the
> mid-price range. Makers Mark is a good one.

Thank you, Ed. And others that responded. Not knowing anything about
booze, I'll spring for the Makers Mark. I'll try tasting it but I know
I won't like that. Maybe good for cooking though.

Surprising, the honey-boubon sauce is good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-10-12 10:33 AM, Gary wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> IMO. the cheap brands are all harsh. There are many good ones in the
>> mid-price range. Makers Mark is a good one.

> Thank you, Ed. And others that responded. Not knowing anything about
> booze, I'll spring for the Makers Mark. I'll try tasting it but I know
> I won't like that. Maybe good for cooking though.

Perhaps you should keep an eye out for miniatures. That would be a cheap
way to try some in case you won't like it. If you are sure you won't
like it and are going to end up using it for cooking you may as well
just buy a cheaper brand. The fine qualities of good liquor are wased
when it is used for cooking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> IMO. the cheap brands are all harsh. There are many good ones in the
>> mid-price range. Makers Mark is a good one.

> Thank you, Ed. And others that responded. Not knowing anything about
> booze, I'll spring for the Makers Mark. I'll try tasting it but I know
> I won't like that. Maybe good for cooking though.
>
> Surprising, the honey-boubon sauce is good.

It's quite good.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-10-12 14:39:51 +0000, Dave Smith said:

> On 2015-10-12 10:33 AM, Gary wrote:
>> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>>
>>> IMO. the cheap brands are all harsh. There are many good ones in the
>>> mid-price range. Makers Mark is a good one.

>> Thank you, Ed. And others that responded. Not knowing anything about
>> booze, I'll spring for the Makers Mark. I'll try tasting it but I know
>> I won't like that. Maybe good for cooking though.
>>

> Perhaps you should keep an eye out for miniatures. That would be a
> cheap way to try some in case you won't like it. If you are sure you
> won't like it and are going to end up using it for cooking you may as
> well just buy a cheaper brand. The fine qualities of good liquor are
> wased when it is used for cooking.

They certainly have MM in the mini size.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-10-12, Dave Smith > wrote:

> On 2015-10-12 10:33 AM, Gary wrote:

>> Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> Makers Mark is a good one.

Very good. very smooth.

>> I'll spring for the Makers Mark. Maybe good for cooking though.

I'm sure it is good for cooking. Unfortunately, it's pretty dang
pricey for jes cooking. A
750ml bottle (about a fifth) is somewhere around $35, depending on
where you live. I was gonna buy a bottle fer bourbon-pecan pie, then
I saw the price. Whoa! That's even more than my beloved Wild Turkey.

> Perhaps you should keep an eye out for miniatures.

Great suggestion.

Personally, I'd avoid ANYTHING made by Jim Beam and they make a lotta
high-end Bourbons. Booker's, Basil Hayden's, Knob Creek, etc. I
won't touch 'em.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-10-12 19:02:20 +0000, notbob said:

> Personally, I'd avoid ANYTHING made by Jim Beam and they make a lotta
> high-end Bourbons. Booker's, Basil Hayden's, Knob Creek, etc. I
> won't touch 'em.

Is it a taste element you don't like?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2015-10-12, Dave Smith > wrote:

> Very good. very smooth.
>
> >> I'll spring for the Makers Mark. Maybe good for cooking though.

> I'm sure it is good for cooking. Unfortunately, it's pretty dang
> pricey for jes cooking. A
> 750ml bottle (about a fifth) is somewhere around $35, depending on
> where you live. I was gonna buy a bottle fer bourbon-pecan pie, then
> I saw the price. Whoa! That's even more than my beloved Wild Turkey.

For a decently priced bourbon for cooking/baking I would use Evan
Williams.

D.M,
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-10-13 00:26:20 +0000, Don Martinich said:

> For a decently priced bourbon for cooking/baking I would use Evan
> Williams.

I'd use any cheaper bourbon; Jim Beam would do, but I actualy like
drinking Old Grandad, always have. In any case for anything you're
cooking most any of the refined aspects are going to burn off quickly
anyway.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Don Martinich wrote:

> For a decently priced bourbon for cooking/baking I would use Evan
> Williams.

Thanks Don, and also to all that added their comments here.
I went to the ABC store with a list of what to buy and what not to.

Since I'm going to experiment with making the honey/bourbon bbq
sauce, I decided a small "airline" bottle might not be enough.
I decided to buy a pint or so. Still clueless though. As I said,
I don't drink the stuff so even the very best would taste bad to
me.

The clerk there was very helpful and seemed to know about all
varieties. I choose a small bottle (350ml) bottle of the cheap
stuff...bottom shelf but the clerk agreed that it would be fine
to experiment with.

They didn't have a small bottle of Maker's Mark.

So..I bought a 375ml bottle of
"Ancient Age" 'Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey'.

I'll play with a sauce recipe for now. If I come up with a good taste,
maybe I'll upgrade the bourbon but I doubt I'd taste a difference.

Anyway, thanks to all that gave opinions.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> I drank a few shots of this the other night.

You sloshed yourself into a coma as per usual.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/24/2015 9:48 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I drank a few shots of this the other night. It reminded me how much
> I HATE bourbon <shiver>.

>> Omelet wrote:

>> He hates me 'cause I never slept with him...

> He hates himself because he is all he has to sleep with
> I don't know, sometimes he used to seem normal, then he went petty
> trough vindictive and now I just shun contact. I have enough crazies to
> deal with in my world without encouraging those who refuse to take their
> meds.

For the record, I never once even considered sleeping with you. And
you know that. You're the one who somehow got the idea that I was
going to move in with you - and you posted that to RFC just out of the
total blue.

After having met you twice at casual austin.food gatherings 2 or 3
years ago and not giving you any indication that there was any sort of
romantic interest in the least, you somehow twisted that into MY
MOVING IN WITH YOU?

That was just way too Psycho for me. I sat there at stared at the
screen for at least 15 minutes wondering, WTF? That was just way too
spooky. I've met weird, semi-psycho women before but you win, hands
down. Mapi of austin.general still holds the male title, but at least
he announced his psychosis right there lying on the floor of the bar
at B.D. Reilly's rather than romantically obsessing over me for 2
years.

Needless to say, you need to come to terms with what happened and why
your mind works that way and stop making up excuses for your fixation
and disappointment before we become the next Yoli and Michael. I'd
prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

And Jeremy, I was just tired of your decade of bullshit and visions of
grandeur about all these things you're "working on" or have not done
in the past. Even posting a call for meetings with imaginary people
about imaginary projects of yours at "the normal time and place", as
if you are somebody important with a life. I'm pretty sure you're
manic depressive mixed with habitual liar.

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw