Old 31-08-2009, 01:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default meat cocktails

An AP article in today's paper. Stunt bartenders making savory
carnivore cocktails. Most based on bacon-infused vodka. Raves for a
BLT cocktail that seems a little cute. I like bacon. I like vodka.
But.

Usually when something confuses me this much, I have to give it a
try.

Bulka

Old 31-08-2009, 01:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

bulka wrote:

An AP article in today's paper. Stunt bartenders making savory
carnivore cocktails. Most based on bacon-infused vodka. Raves for a
BLT cocktail that seems a little cute. I like bacon. I like vodka.
But.

Usually when something confuses me this much, I have to give it a
try.

It sounds like a cup of broth, with alcohol in it.
And cold.

I just can't imagine it would be good.

The precolumbian Mexican's, i have heard, put chocolate in chicken broth
for a refresing drink and considered it worthy only of the ruling class.

I read several articles about post modern chefs using tobacco in food,
it never seemed to catch on though....
--

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Old 31-08-2009, 01:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 30, 8:06*pm, bulka wrote:
An AP article in today's paper. *Stunt bartenders making savory
carnivore cocktails. *Most based on bacon-infused vodka. Raves for a
BLT cocktail that seems a little cute. *I like bacon. *I like vodka.
But.

Usually when something confuses me this much, I have to give it a
try.

Bulka

Isn't there a drink made with beef broth? A Bull something-or-other.

Then there's always Clamato drinks...

Kris
Old 31-08-2009, 02:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq. wrote:
Mark Thorson wrote:

bulka wrote:

An AP article in today's paper. Stunt bartenders making savory
carnivore cocktails. Most based on bacon-infused vodka. Raves for a
BLT cocktail that seems a little cute. I like bacon. I like vodka.
But.

Usually when something confuses me this much, I have to give it a
try.

It sounds like a cup of broth, with alcohol in it.
And cold.

I just can't imagine it would be good.

The precolumbian Mexican's, i have heard, put chocolate in chicken broth
for a refresing drink and considered it worthy only of the ruling class.

I read several articles about post modern chefs using tobacco in food,
it never seemed to catch on though....

Mr. J. - Wasn't their idea of chocolate hot and spicy? That would put an
entirely different twist on the modern day chocolate add I think.

Bob

Old 31-08-2009, 02:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Kris wrote:
On Aug 30, 8:06 pm, bulka wrote:
An AP article in today's paper. Stunt bartenders making savory
carnivore cocktails. Most based on bacon-infused vodka. Raves for a
BLT cocktail that seems a little cute. I like bacon. I like vodka.
But.

Usually when something confuses me this much, I have to give it a
try.

Bulka

Isn't there a drink made with beef broth? A Bull something-or-other.

Then there's always Clamato drinks...

Kris

Kris -

I love Clamato much more than even V8. But I limit it's use in my diet
due to the amount of sodium in it. It does certainly hit several taste
buds in a favorable way though :-) Humm... maybe being infused with
bacon would do well here.

Bob
Old 31-08-2009, 02:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 30, 7:32*pm, Kris wrote:
On Aug 30, 8:06*pm, bulka wrote:

An AP article in today's paper. *Stunt bartenders making savory
carnivore cocktails. *Most based on bacon-infused vodka. Raves for a
BLT cocktail that seems a little cute. *I like bacon. *I like vodka..
But.

Usually when something confuses me this much, I have to give it a
try.

Bulka

Isn't there a drink made with beef broth? A Bull something-or-other.

Then there's always Clamato drinks...

Kris

That's called a Bullshot - it is hot beef bouillon in a mug with a
shot of some kind of brown alcohol- bourbon?
Lynn in Fargo
Read about that "Bakon" vodka in the new Bon Appetit (?) There's a
bartender infusing his own spirits (gin?) and making BLT Martinis:
Lettuce water ice cube, tomato water and bacon flavored liquor.
Personally, I'm holding out for a Bacon, Liver 'n Onions highball.
Lynn in Fargo
Old 31-08-2009, 02:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 17:06:41 -0700 (PDT), bulka wrote:

An AP article in today's paper. Stunt bartenders making savory
carnivore cocktails. Most based on bacon-infused vodka. Raves for a
BLT cocktail that seems a little cute. I like bacon. I like vodka.
But.

Usually when something confuses me this much, I have to give it a
try.

I like bacon, I'll drink vodka if I absolutely have to, but I don't
care for the two together in the same glass. I don't even drink
Bloody Ceasers, but I do make 4 or 5 virgins weekly (That means:
without vodka. I can't devirginize people).

-sw
Old 31-08-2009, 02:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 17:32:42 -0700 (PDT), Kris wrote:

Isn't there a drink made with beef broth? A Bull something-or-other.

Then there's always Clamato drinks...

There's Beefamato. There's also Shrimpmato - which I would have
bought this weekend but it's Best Before date was next week - which
means it was pretty old.

Both of those could be used to make Bloody Mary-like drinks (but not
a Bloody Ceasar).

Clamato rules.

-sw
Old 31-08-2009, 02:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 30, 9:07 pm, Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig
wrote:
On Aug 30, 7:32 pm, Kris wrote:

On Aug 30, 8:06 pm, bulka wrote:

[...]

There is a bar in Chicago where I've had a "roadkill bloody mary" -
an unremarkable drink, but garnished with a quarter-pound of
antipasto-ish cubes of various sausage.

It is the infusion that interests me. Different than just spiking the
soup, but different enough to matter?

Bulka

Old 31-08-2009, 02:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

bulka wrote:

[...]

I honestly do not know more than gossip, i saw a cooking show on PBS
once that had a person go to various cultures and explore their foods
and in one segment about Mexico they gave over a good 10 minutes of the
entire hour show to talk about the chicken and chocolate drink, which
iirc they did put spices in.

Im some what familiar with, in that i know they exist, certain documents
only very few of which have been translated, relating the spanish
influence on the use of chocolate. I think Brillant Savarin cieted some
of them. As far as i know they were the ones that came up with adding
it to milk.

Which of course opened up eggs and flour, cinnamon is often favored in
Spanish chocolates and in know of a Catalan chocolate torte that uses a
cup of port to very good effect.

As i understand it, among the precolumbian Mexicans chocolate had a
value (philosophical as well as economic) that limited its consumption
to the ruling class. And that culture in general did not have an
analgous form of "dessert" foods. At least not to the complex degree
the Spanish had. But then chocolate was probly analgouse to sugar or
sweet in Spanish cuisine, in that it was a reward for being one of the
special people, one of the ruling class that could afford the rare treat.

But i dunno, reduce the entire western, imperalist, colonial conquests
to chocolate cake?

Seems like it would have come about, sooner or later anyway

Old 31-08-2009, 02:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq. wrote:

The precolumbian Mexican's, i have heard, put chocolate in chicken broth
for a refresing drink and considered it worthy only of the ruling class.

molé?

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Old 31-08-2009, 02:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:
Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq. wrote:

The precolumbian Mexican's, i have heard, put chocolate in chicken
broth for a refresing drink and considered it worthy only of the
ruling class.

molé?

That's exactly an example I was reaching for. not that mole is
particularly spicy, but I sort of remember reading something about the
how "Hot Chocolate" was before Cortez (my memories are faulty for that
period) took it back to Europe.

Thanks Janet.

Old 31-08-2009, 03:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
jj jj is offline

bulka wrote:

An AP article in today's paper. Stunt bartenders making savory
carnivore cocktails. Most based on bacon-infused vodka. Raves for a
BLT cocktail that seems a little cute. I like bacon. I like vodka.
But.
Usually when something confuses me this much, I have to give it a
try.
Bulka

LOL, www.BaconMartini.com It's a creation of the DoubleDown saloon in
Vegas (and now NYC) so maybe one should get one of those new KFC
"doubledown" items mentioned here in RFC as an accompaniment.
Old 31-08-2009, 03:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 21:50:59 -0400, Bob Muncie wrote:

That's exactly an example I was reaching for. not that mole is
particularly spicy, but I sort of remember reading something about the
how "Hot Chocolate" was before Cortez (my memories are faulty for that
period) took it back to Europe.

I'll never forget when we were studying the Aztec's in 6th grade.
My end of study project was to bring in some genuine xocolàtl, a
bitter chocolate drink made with (a little bit) of chili pepper and
dyed red with achiote. There was no sugar, and I think it even had
raw egg in it. It was horrible, everybody in class hated it,
including the teacher. I don't blame them. But it was *AUTHENTIC*,
dammit!

Then some bitch, Wendy Wilmer, three presentations after mine had
the same idea. She used Hershey syrup and warm milk. Everybody
loved that one. She probably got a better grade then me, too. That
bitch!

So whenever somebody says they don't like a food, recipe, or idea
I've posted here in RFC and I lash out you, don't take it
personally. It's really Wendy I'm mad at. That bitch!

(Tongue in cheek, I think. I did just now track her down on the
Internet, living 150 miles away from where we went to grade school,
and 5 miles away from where I lived in Columbus OH a decade ago.
Same age, same surname, running tri-athalons - must be a *******.
Everything fits perfectly. I bet she leaned that way because of me.
I feel better now.)

Heh.

-sw

Cocktails Ophelia[_9_] General Cooking 125 31-07-2013 02:08 AM
October Cocktails drinKay General 0 29-10-2009 06:47 PM
Low-Cal Cocktails mixr General 3 12-08-2009 10:38 AM
Cocktails (5) Collection Edwin Recipes (moderated) 0 05-11-2006 11:10 PM
Cocktails (5) Cocktails [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 15-07-2005 04:27 AM