Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default (2009-05-16) NS-RFC: Eating a burger with a knife and fork

http://www.recfoodcooking.com

Shamelessly stole the idea for this one from another thread...
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> "ChattyCathy" wrote
>
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>>
>> Shamelessly stole the idea for this one from another thread...

> I'll take the formal ossacions one for my new job please!
>
> Carol

Enjoy <g>
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" wrote

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>
> Shamelessly stole the idea for this one from another thread...

I'll take the formal ossacions one for my new job please!

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 16, 4:40 pm, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>
> Shamelessly stole the idea for this one from another thread...
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Once.

Saint-Michel-des-Saints, Quebec.

I ordered "Un Hamburger Imperial" at a local restaurant thinking it
was a "deluxe hamburger" (all the fixin's, I'd hoped) and got a
hamburger patty on a bun smothered in brown gravy (as in poutine brown
gravy). The "fixin's" came along too, on the side, but one could not
possibly have picked this puppy up in their hands to eat it. So,
knife and fork.

--
Silvar Beitel
(very occasional poster)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy said...

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>
> Shamelessly stole the idea for this one from another thread...

I'd never put a fork to a burger!

Could explode!!! One never knows! ))

Andy
Voter #7
--
Eat first, talk later.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...

> Could explode!!! One never knows! ))
>
> Andy

Kind of like your head?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ChattyCathy > wrote:

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>
> Shamelessly stole the idea for this one from another thread...

Only if serving it with no bun. :-)
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>
> Shamelessly stole the idea for this one from another thread...

No, I don't eat sandwiches with a fork. I might cut one into
halves or thirds if it's unwieldy or messy.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote on Sat, 16 May 2009 22:40:51 +0200:

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

> Shamelessly stole the idea for this one from another thread...
> --

Ordinarily, I wouldn't but it's convenient to have a fork for some of
the more elaborate versions with various vegetables. Mustard or ketchup
makes a good lubricant and things tend to escape!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'd prefer to eat 'em the hand, but most restos make 'em too thick,
load 'em up, and then put 'em in a bun which turns to paperthin mush
after the initial bite. Knife and fork afford the only way I can
consume the thing. At home, I toast inside of the bun and try to keep
the burger thin so the average mouth can bite the whole deal.

I like fresh tomato, onion and ketchup - maybe a very small amt of
cheese.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 16, 4:40*pm, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>
> Shamelessly stole the idea for this one from another thread...
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

If it has not bun, of course I use a fork. Don't usually need a
knife, since they are made of chopped meat and cut easily with the
side of the fork.
MCINL
maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 May 2009 17:19:39 -0400, Rooney wrote:

> "Andy" > wrote in message ...
>>

>> Could explode!!! One never knows! ))
>>
>> Andy

> Kind of like your head?

we should be so lucky. i wouldn't mind watching the fork-sticking part,
though.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 May 2009 17:48:34 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>>
>> Shamelessly stole the idea for this one from another thread...

> No, I don't eat sandwiches with a fork. I might cut one into
> halves or thirds if it's unwieldy or messy.
>
> nancy

i was just thinking that i've done that once or twice.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

tweeny wrote:

> I'd prefer to eat 'em the hand, but most restos make 'em too thick,
> load 'em up, and then put 'em in a bun which turns to paperthin mush
> after the initial bite. Knife and fork afford the only way I can
> consume the thing. At home, I toast inside of the bun and try to keep
> the burger thin so the average mouth can bite the whole deal.
>
> I like fresh tomato, onion and ketchup - maybe a very small amt of
> cheese.

This might make a good survey: How thick are your burgers? Many home cooks
like to make burgers about an inch thick. If the most flavor comes from the
browned exterior of the patty, it makes more sense to make two thin patties
than one thick one, because you double that browned surface area. On the
other hand, a thick patty will be juicier.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy surveyed:

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>
> Shamelessly stole the idea for this one from another thread...

Gotta give an MCINL to this one: I use a knife and fork to eat a burger if
the burger is too big or sloppy to eat neatly with my hands. It doesn't
matter whether I'm in a restaurant, at home, at a friend's house, or
elsewhere.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 19, 6:21*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> tweeny wrote:
> > I'd prefer to eat 'em the hand, but most restos make 'em too thick,
> > load 'em up, and then put 'em in a bun which turns to paperthin mush
> > after the initial bite. *Knife and fork afford the only way I can
> > consume the thing. At home, I toast *inside of the bun and try to keep
> > the burger thin so the average mouth can bite the whole deal.

> > I like fresh tomato, onion and ketchup - maybe a very small amt of
> > cheese.

> This might make a good survey: How thick are your burgers? Many home cooks
> like to make burgers about an inch thick. If the most flavor comes from the
> browned exterior of the patty, it makes more sense to make two thin patties
> than one thick one, because you double that browned surface area. On the
> other hand, a thick patty will be juicier.

Well, barring the creation of an actual survey...

My burgers are pretty thin. Usually a quarter pound, sometimes a
third of a pound,
flattened to about half an inch thick. Ground chuck, pretty juicy if
I don't get
interrupted while grilling. DH likes them medium to medium well, so
that's
what I shoot for. Nothing inside or mixed with the burger but salt.

I don't go overboard on toppings. A slather of mayo on a toasted bun,
a slice
of sweet onion, a little tomato and some iceberg lettuce. Lots of
salt and
pepper.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> This might make a good survey: How thick are your burgers? Many home cooks
> like to make burgers about an inch thick. If the most flavor comes from the
> browned exterior of the patty, it makes more sense to make two thin patties
> than one thick one, because you double that browned surface area. On the
> other hand, a thick patty will be juicier.

My personal theory is that restaurants like double burgers because they
increase the turns. People get their food faster, so they leave faster.
The number of burgers per hour coming out of the kitchen is higher.
Home cooks make them thick because they taste better.

Just my personal opinion.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boob Twilly" wrote:

> This might make a good survey: How thick are your burgers? Many home cooks
> like to make burgers about an inch thick. If the most flavor comes from
> the
> browned exterior of the patty, it makes more sense to make two thin
> patties
> than one thick one, because you double that browned surface area. On the
> other hand, a thick patty will be juicier.

When I prepare burgers the flavor is from freshly ground quality meat cooked
to perfection, not from extra surface char to cover up the taste of lousy
meat Twilly burgers... that's why folks drown their lousy mystery meat
Twilly burgers with as many and as much condiments as will fit.

The real reason for the advent of the double burger is purely psychological
marketing, the same as for the double scoop ice cream cone, it enables
eaterys to charge more for less, or even charge less for more so long as it
increases revenue... two small pattys or two small scoops, folks believe
they are getting more so are willing to part with more dollars than they
ordinarilly would. The large economy size of any product is rarely so
economical... that gallon jug of mayo is no bargain if you toss 10% in the
trash because by then it's so fercoct with schmutz from dipping in with
dirty utensils. But it got you to give the store the price of 4 quarts all
at once when you ordinarilly would have been quite satisfied with 1 qt, and
probably would have actually saved money buying it when it went on sale...
yesterday Hellman's quarts were two/$4, still I bought just one, it'll be on
sale again at least three times before I use it up so why should I give the
store an extra $2 in advance for the priviledge of storing their mayo. The
double burger began as a way to shrink the portion relative to the price
without ****ing folks off. Madison Avenue calls it "Bundling"... it's a way
of training people to purchase two, three, and six of something when they
really only wanted one... this is an easy way to increase revenue... in the
case of food products it's a clever ploy for extracting more dollars from
people by making them think they are getting a bargain but who then don't
even eat all they bought... businesses, especially food businesses becaeu
their product is perishable don't count the product going out the door
nearly as carefully as cash coming in, revenue... has to do with variable
costs vs fixed costs, and the fact that there are many budgeting folders for
expenses but only one folder for all cash coming in/revenue... the more
cash/revenue coming in during the hours of operation the greater the
profit... selling double burgers probably increases profits by 30%... in a
fast food joint that more than covers the cost of payroll. They don't care
that customers have to cram it down or toss part in the trash... do whatever
you want with it so long as you paid for it. Fast food burgers need as much
char surface as possible to hide the fact that they're made with stinkin'
Twilly mystery meat.

I've never yet prepared a double burger at home, there's no point ****ing
with perfection, and that's my point.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> When I prepare burgers the flavor is from freshly ground quality meat
> cooked to perfection, not from extra surface char to cover up the taste of
> lousy meat Twilly burgers... that's why folks drown their lousy mystery
> meat Twilly burgers with as many and as much condiments as will fit.

No, when *you* prepare burgers the only flavor is from your ass, because you
can't keep your hands out of it.

But when most people prepare burgers, the flavor -- as with *all* seared
meat -- comes from the Maillard reaction of browning the meat. But as you
revealed when you bragged about your lackluster beef stew, you just don't
understand the importance of browning. You might as well just steam your
burgers.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default TWILLY LIAR was: Eating a burger with a knife and fork

"Boob Twilly" wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
>> When I prepare burgers the flavor is from freshly ground quality meat
>> cooked to perfection, not from extra surface char to cover up the taste
>> of
>> lousy meat Twilly burgers... that's why folks drown their lousy mystery
>> meat Twilly burgers with as many and as much condiments as will fit.

> No, when *you* prepare burgers the only flavor is from your ass, because
> you
> can't keep your hands out of it.
>
> But when most people prepare burgers, the flavor -- as with *all* seared
> meat -- comes from the Maillard reaction of browning the meat. But as you
> revealed when you bragged about your lackluster beef stew, you just don't
> understand the importance of browning. You might as well just steam your
> burgers.

Everything I've ever cooked is perfection... to date no one has seen
anything cooked by your filthy fingers... TWILLY LIAR! You're an Ugli
little bastid who screws his sister... that is your sister in your RFC
Mugshot, no doubt about it, she's got your baboon butt face and yoose both
have the same humpty dumpty bods, only your sister doesn't have all your
facial fur.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 19, 6:52*pm, "brooklyn1" > wrote:
> "Boob Twilly" wrote:
> > Sheldon wrote:

> >> When I prepare burgers the flavor is from freshly ground quality meat
> >> cooked to perfection, not from extra surface char to cover up the taste
> >> of
> >> lousy meat Twilly burgers... that's why folks drown their lousy mystery
> >> meat Twilly burgers with as many and as much condiments as will fit.

> > No, when *you* prepare burgers the only flavor is from your ass, because
> > you
> > can't keep your hands out of it.

> > But when most people prepare burgers, the flavor -- as with *all* seared
> > meat -- comes from the Maillard reaction of browning the meat. But as you
> > revealed when you bragged about your lackluster beef stew, you just don't
> > understand the importance of browning. You might as well just steam your
> > burgers.

> Everything I've ever cooked is perfection... to date no one has seen
> anything cooked by your filthy fingers... TWILLY LIAR! *You're an Ugli
> little bastid who screws his sister... that is your sister in your RFC
> Mugshot, no doubt about it, she's got your baboon butt face and yoose both
> have the same humpty dumpty bods, only your sister doesn't have all your
> facial fur.

See guys, when you think of Sheldon as crazy, you can enjoy his over
the top posts, even when he is directing vitriol at yourselves. I
mean, read the above paragraph. He thinks he's being insulting,
accusing someone of incest and saying that the person has a "baboon
butt face."

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pussy Katz ranted:

>> But when most people prepare burgers, the flavor -- as with *all* seared
>> meat -- comes from the Maillard reaction of browning the meat. But as you
>> revealed when you bragged about your lackluster beef stew, you just don't
>> understand the importance of browning. You might as well just steam your
>> burgers.
>>

> Everything I've ever cooked is perfection...

Perfection to YOU, I suppose, but then you just don't know any better. Pity.
What I wrote above is spot-on. You failed to brown your stew meat properly,
which was clearly shown in the pictures you posted. Now you claim that the
interior of your burgers tastes better than the exterior, which means you
failed to brown *them* correctly also. I guess it's no great loss to you,
since at your age your sense of smell has deteriorated to the point that you
can't tell the difference anyway, and that anemic-looking stuff you eat is
easier on your teeth. It might as well be tofu right out of the package.

> to date no one has seen anything cooked by your filthy fingers...

That's simply untrue. Lin took pictures of our Thanksgiving dinner last year
and posted them here. You may now admit that you've been caught in another
lie.

> You're an Ugli little bastid who screws his sister... that is your sister
> in your RFC Mugshot, no doubt about it, she's got your baboon butt face
> and yoose both have the same humpty dumpty bods, only your sister doesn't
> have all your facial fur.

Been hitting the cheap vodka HARD this evening, haven't you? Feeling quite
the loser, aren't you? I mean, the only thing you have which makes you feel
good is your self-proclaimed proficiency in the kitchen, yet you've been
shown to have a horrible weakness in a FUNDAMENTAL aspect of cooking. So you
seek your false self-esteem in the bottle, and lash out like a baby having a
tantrum at those who make you feel inferior. Cirrhosis is a terrible way to
go, Sticky-Fingers, I recommend you throttle down your drinking by at least
90%.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 May 2009 17:24:19 -0700, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Pussy Katz ranted:
>
>>> But when most people prepare burgers, the flavor -- as with *all* seared
>>> meat -- comes from the Maillard reaction of browning the meat. But as you
>>> revealed when you bragged about your lackluster beef stew, you just don't
>>> understand the importance of browning. You might as well just steam your
>>> burgers.
>>>

>> Everything I've ever cooked is perfection...

> Perfection to YOU, I suppose, but then you just don't know any better. Pity.
> What I wrote above is spot-on. You failed to brown your stew meat properly,
> which was clearly shown in the pictures you posted. Now you claim that the
> interior of your burgers tastes better than the exterior, which means you
> failed to brown *them* correctly also. I guess it's no great loss to you,
> since at your age your sense of smell has deteriorated to the point that you
> can't tell the difference anyway, and that anemic-looking stuff you eat is
> easier on your teeth. It might as well be tofu right out of the package.

everything sheldon knows about fine food he learned in the navy.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 20, 9:54*am, blake murphy > wrote:

> everything sheldon knows about fine food he learned in the navy.

Hey now, the Navy has contributed significantly to workplace safety.
In the Navy, you learn proper lifting skills, bending at the knees
rather than the waist, even when picking up an object as light as a
bar of soap.

> your pal,
> blake

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 May 2009 14:54:02 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:

>everything sheldon knows about fine food he learned in the navy.
>
>your pal,
>blake

And the spam website.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Tue, 19 May 2009 17:24:19 -0700, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>

>>Pussy Katz ranted:

>>>Everything I've ever cooked is perfection...

>>Perfection to YOU, I suppose, but then you just don't know any better. Pity.
>>What I wrote above is spot-on. You failed to brown your stew meat properly,
>>which was clearly shown in the pictures you posted. Now you claim that the
>>interior of your burgers tastes better than the exterior, which means you
>>failed to brown *them* correctly also. I guess it's no great loss to you,
>>since at your age your sense of smell has deteriorated to the point that you
>>can't tell the difference anyway, and that anemic-looking stuff you eat is
>>easier on your teeth. It might as well be tofu right out of the package.
>>

> everything sheldon knows about fine food he learned in the navy.
>
> your pal,
> blake

He had a fit when i mentioned me mums boiled meat loaf even after i
posted the Escoffier version of it "Sou Fassum Provencale" he still
maintained his patented "Sheldonianisms" regarding it.

Besides, any 'Maillard' reaction isn't going to help bad ingredients.

A fresh caramelized carrot is going to be better than a caramelized 2
week old carrot.

Though i gots to say, i still don't brown bones im going to use for
stock, i prefer to put them in the water raw and let them simmer for 24
hours or more.

Animal flesh is another matter, I do love a good boiled beef and i will
definitely give it a good surface browning before i set it to simmer for
at a minimum of 2 hours.

THe "elderly relative" was shocked when i quickly whipped up a dish of
rice and veggies with cubes of boiled beef for her on the spur of the
moment.

After a long day of medical tests and running around from labs to
offices & back again she just wanted to collapse when we got home but
was very hungry (fasting blood sugar or something) and so i quickly stir
fried some left over rice, fresh veggies and some cubed boiled beef i
had previously cooked and stuck in the freezer. Served it with a dash
of soy sauce and sesame oil and a sprinkle of cayenne and she was very
happy with it but couldn't figure out how i got the beef so well done &
so tender so quickly
--
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 May 2009 09:16:46 -0700, Joseph Littleshoes
> wrote:

>After a long day of medical tests and running around from labs to
>offices & back again she just wanted to collapse when we got home but
>was very hungry (fasting blood sugar or something) and so i quickly stir
>fried some left over rice, fresh veggies and some cubed boiled beef i
>had previously cooked and stuck in the freezer. Served it with a dash
>of soy sauce and sesame oil and a sprinkle of cayenne and she was very
>happy with it but couldn't figure out how i got the beef so well done &
>so tender so quickly

Hope your dear "older relative" feels better soon.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 20 May 2009 09:16:46 -0700, Joseph Littleshoes
> > wrote:
>

>>After a long day of medical tests and running around from labs to
>>offices & back again she just wanted to collapse when we got home but
>>was very hungry (fasting blood sugar or something) and so i quickly stir
>>fried some left over rice, fresh veggies and some cubed boiled beef i
>>had previously cooked and stuck in the freezer. Served it with a dash
>>of soy sauce and sesame oil and a sprinkle of cayenne and she was very
>>happy with it but couldn't figure out how i got the beef so well done & so tender so quickly

> Hope your dear "older relative" feels better soon.

Thanks SF, she's fine it was just some routine tests. Every spring her
doctor orders up a battery of various tests, usually takes a few weeks
to get them all scheduled and done.

THe running around to various offices tires her more than anything else.
To day i snagged one of the big wheeled chairs, not wheel chairs, but
chairs on wheels used to transport patients around the facility. Worked
out very well for her.
--
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default BUKKAKE-WALLOWING SHELDON was: Eating a burger with a knife and fork

Joseph wrote:

> To day i snagged one of the big wheeled chairs, not wheel chairs, but
> chairs on wheels used to transport patients around the facility.

I'm having a hard time envisioning this. At first I thought it was like one
of those executive chairs with wheels, but those wouldn't commonly be used
for transportation. Googling "patient transport" comes up with this kind of
thing:

http://images.bizrate.com/resize?sq=160&uid=673417228

Is that what you used, or is it something different?

Regardless, best wishes to your relative.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Thanks Bob.

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Joseph wrote:
>
>> To day i snagged one of the big wheeled chairs, not wheel chairs, but
>> chairs on wheels used to transport patients around the facility.

> I'm having a hard time envisioning this. At first I thought it was like one
> of those executive chairs with wheels, but those wouldn't commonly be used
> for transportation. Googling "patient transport" comes up with this kind of
> thing:
>
> http://images.bizrate.com/resize?sq=160&uid=673417228
>
> Is that what you used, or is it something different?
>
> Regardless, best wishes to your relative.
>
> Bob

Not precisely.

The medical center where the elderly relative is treated is hugh, covers
10 or more square blocks and is but one part of a larger medical
complex that treats patient interchangeably from one organization to the
other. Colloquially referred to as 'pill hill' a complex of several
different hospitals.

Its not unusual to see people pushing other people around on the street
form one building to another in the type of wheeled chairs they keep at
the entrances stacked up like shopping carts in supermarkets.

Here's a picture of a rather more elaborate version than what i used.
A 'transport chair"

http://www.wisecare.com.au/odin/imag...ged-people.jpg

It was all actually routine tests and stuff she has done every year.
But then early this morning around 1 am i get woken up by some strange,
garbled phone calls coming out of my answering machine, twice, barely
audible and sounding like a tele marketer so i paid no attention and
went back to sleep.

At about 2 am the police are pounding on the door! demanding to see the
elderly relative.

With an ambulance standing by they rush her to the hospital, seems her
cumoden levels were critically high and they were very concerned about her.

Kept us up till 8 am in the emergency room where they performed all
sorts of tests and procedures on her. Insisted on 'monitoring' her for
a few hours and then discharged her with new instructions for her meds.

As much as we groused about it during and after, it is nice to know they
are that on top of things and that concerned.

Her two primary care physicians are both very nice Women and actually
came down to the hospital after being altered by the duty physician that
she was there.

Kathleen (the elderly relative) got a sustained chuckle out of the staff
with her question about the degree of concern they were exhibiting
toward her ... "do you treat all retired IRS employees this well?"

She felt fine and couldn't understand the degree of concern they were
exhibiting.

All's well that ends well.
--
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

> But then early this morning around 1 am i get woken up by some
> strange, garbled phone calls coming out of my answering machine,
> twice, barely audible and sounding like a tele marketer so i paid no
> attention and
> went back to sleep.
>
> At about 2 am the police are pounding on the door! demanding to see
> the elderly relative.
>
> With an ambulance standing by they rush her to the hospital, seems her
> cumoden levels were critically high and they were very concerned
> about her.

Wow, Joseph! What a crazy thing.

> Kept us up till 8 am in the emergency room where they performed all
> sorts of tests and procedures on her. Insisted on 'monitoring' her
> for a few hours and then discharged her with new instructions for her
> meds.
>
> As much as we groused about it during and after, it is nice to know
> they are that on top of things and that concerned.
>
> Her two primary care physicians are both very nice Women and actually
> came down to the hospital after being altered by the duty physician
> that she was there.
>
> Kathleen (the elderly relative) got a sustained chuckle out of the
> staff with her question about the degree of concern they were
> exhibiting
> toward her ... "do you treat all retired IRS employees this well?"

Too funny! I guess high levels of coumadin don't kill your sense of
humor.

> She felt fine and couldn't understand the degree of concern they were
> exhibiting.
>
> All's well that ends well.

I'm glad. Thanks for the story.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Joseph wrote:

> Here's a picture of a rather more elaborate version than what i used.
> A 'transport chair"
>
> http://www.wisecare.com.au/odin/imag...ged-people.jpg

Why, that looks pretty comfortable! Good for them!

> At about 2 am the police are pounding on the door! demanding to see the
> elderly relative.
>
> With an ambulance standing by they rush her to the hospital, seems her
> cumoden levels were critically high and they were very concerned about
> her.

That shows an unusual degree of concern; it's heartwarming to hear that
someone actually cared enough to go to those lengths.

> As much as we groused about it during and after, it is nice to know they
> are that on top of things and that concerned.

ABSOLUTELY!

> Kathleen (the elderly relative) got a sustained chuckle out of the staff
> with her question about the degree of concern they were exhibiting toward
> her ... "do you treat all retired IRS employees this well?"

They must not have known...

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

> At about 2 am the police are pounding on the door! demanding to see the
> elderly relative.
>
> With an ambulance standing by they rush her to the hospital, seems her
> cumoden levels were critically high and they were very concerned about her.
>
> Kept us up till 8 am in the emergency room where they performed all
> sorts of tests and procedures on her. Insisted on 'monitoring' her for
> a few hours and then discharged her with new instructions for her meds.
>
> As much as we groused about it during and after, it is nice to know they
> are that on top of things and that concerned.

That was terrific service. I'm glad she's OK.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 May 2009 17:41:40 -0700, Joseph Littleshoes
> wrote:

>It was all actually routine tests and stuff she has done every year.
>But then early this morning around 1 am i get woken up by some strange,
>garbled phone calls coming out of my answering machine, twice, barely
>audible and sounding like a tele marketer so i paid no attention and
>went back to sleep.
>
>At about 2 am the police are pounding on the door! demanding to see the
>elderly relative.
>
>With an ambulance standing by they rush her to the hospital, seems her
>cumoden levels were critically high and they were very concerned about her.
>
>Kept us up till 8 am in the emergency room where they performed all
>sorts of tests and procedures on her. Insisted on 'monitoring' her for
>a few hours and then discharged her with new instructions for her meds.
>
>As much as we groused about it during and after, it is nice to know they
>are that on top of things and that concerned.
>
>Her two primary care physicians are both very nice Women and actually
>came down to the hospital after being altered by the duty physician that
>she was there.
>
>Kathleen (the elderly relative) got a sustained chuckle out of the staff
>with her question about the degree of concern they were exhibiting
>toward her ... "do you treat all retired IRS employees this well?"

ROFLMAO!

>She felt fine and couldn't understand the degree of concern they were
>exhibiting.
>
>All's well that ends well.

I'm glad she is so well taken care of. Next time a telemarketer calls
you at 1am, you might want to consider picking up.

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to James Bond's agent number to reply.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I must have missed the recipe.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Thanks Dam's

Damsel wrote:

> I'm glad she is so well taken care of. Next time a telemarketer calls
> you at 1am, you might want to consider picking up.
>
> Carol

Good idea Carol, however, in my defense.

(and to try out my new sig file

The telephone messages were faint, they barely woke me, i could barely
hear them, and they cut off after just a few words, garbled and
indistinct as they were.

The police, 2 of them, "POUNDING" assertively & aggressively if not
brutishly on the front door was quite distinct and enough to rouse me
from torpidity

Especially when, in my bathrobe and slippers i finally opened the door
and i could not produce the "elderly relative" immediately on demand!
It was actually demanded of me why the elderly relative was not
opening the door! My explaining to them that she is 80 years old and
asleep at 2 AM in the morning seemed to vaguely appease them but they
got a bit arrogant when had i lead them to the back of the house and
through the kitchen to Kathleen's bed room.

But she assured them of her comfort and tranquility amongst her down
comforters and cuddling pussy cats and they were very nice the rest of
their stay.
--
Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!
Release the hounds!
http://www.dancingmice.net/Karn%20Evil%209.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

> Good idea Carol, however, in my defense.
>
> (and to try out my new sig file
>
> The telephone messages were faint, they barely woke me, i could barely
> hear them, and they cut off after just a few words, garbled and
> indistinct as they were.
>
> The police, 2 of them, "POUNDING" assertively & aggressively if not
> brutishly on the front door was quite distinct and enough to rouse me
> from torpidity
>
> Especially when, in my bathrobe and slippers i finally opened the door
> and i could not produce the "elderly relative" immediately on demand!
> It was actually demanded of me why the elderly relative was not
> opening the door! My explaining to them that she is 80 years old and
> asleep at 2 AM in the morning seemed to vaguely appease them but they
> got a bit arrogant when had i lead them to the back of the house and
> through the kitchen to Kathleen's bed room.
>
> But she assured them of her comfort and tranquility amongst her down
> comforters and cuddling pussy cats and they were very nice the rest of
> their stay.
> --
> Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Maybe I missed something here, JL - but I just can't figure out why
anybody would wanna call your elderly relative at 1am in the morning in
the first place, let alone send the cops over to investigate when
nobody took the calls! Did they think you two lived in another time
zone or something? What was so darn urgent that it couldn't wait until
7 or 8am?

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
>

>>Good idea Carol, however, in my defense.
>>
>>(and to try out my new sig file
>>
>>The telephone messages were faint, they barely woke me, i could barely
>>hear them, and they cut off after just a few words, garbled and
>>indistinct as they were.
>>
>>The police, 2 of them, "POUNDING" assertively & aggressively if not
>>brutishly on the front door was quite distinct and enough to rouse me
>>from torpidity
>>
>>Especially when, in my bathrobe and slippers i finally opened the door
>>and i could not produce the "elderly relative" immediately on demand!
>> It was actually demanded of me why the elderly relative was not
>>opening the door! My explaining to them that she is 80 years old and
>>asleep at 2 AM in the morning seemed to vaguely appease them but they
>>got a bit arrogant when had i lead them to the back of the house and
>>through the kitchen to Kathleen's bed room.
>>
>>But she assured them of her comfort and tranquility amongst her down
>>comforters and cuddling pussy cats and they were very nice the rest of
>>their stay.
>>--
>>Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

> Maybe I missed something here, JL - but I just can't figure out why
> anybody would wanna call your elderly relative at 1am in the morning in
> the first place, let alone send the cops over to investigate when
> nobody took the calls! Did they think you two lived in another time
> zone or something? What was so darn urgent that it couldn't wait until
> 7 or 8am?

She had some blood tests done at about 4 - 5 pm and when we came home
around 6 i got on the internet till midnight or so and they weren't able
to get through on the phone.

They kept trying because her cumoden levels were critically high. And
finally got through about 1 am, but the calls were very odd.

Even when i tried to call back the number the police had for me i got
some weird phone tree run-around and the police had to contact the
hospital who insisted we rush right to the emergency room.
--
Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!
http://www.dancingmice.net/Karn%20Evil%209.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote:

>> Maybe I missed something here, JL - but I just can't figure out why
>> anybody would wanna call your elderly relative at 1am in the morning
>> in the first place, let alone send the cops over to investigate when
>> nobody took the calls! Did they think you two lived in another time
>> zone or something? What was so darn urgent that it couldn't wait
>> until 7 or 8am?
>>

> She had some blood tests done at about 4 - 5 pm and when we came home
> around 6 i got on the internet till midnight or so and they weren't
> able to get through on the phone.
>
> They kept trying because her cumoden levels were critically high. And
> finally got through about 1 am, but the calls were very odd.
>
> Even when i tried to call back the number the police had for me i got
> some weird phone tree run-around and the police had to contact the
> hospital who insisted we rush right to the emergency room.

Ah, OK. But I can't help but wonder if 'somebody' at the hospital didn't
mess up her medication dosage at some point, though (I had to google
for 'cumoden' - I gather it's some kind of blood-thinning medication?)
and that's why they were in such an all-fire panic about it...

Anyway, glad it all worked out in the end, and that your elderly
relative is doing fine - but maybe it's time to consider getting some
other method of internet access? <veg>

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy