Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger[_1_] Bob Terwilliger[_1_] is offline

Default (2009-05-16) NS-RFC: Eating a burger with a knife and fork

tweeny wrote:

> I'd prefer to eat 'em the hand, but most restos make 'em too thick,
> load 'em up, and then put 'em in a bun which turns to paperthin mush
> after the initial bite. Knife and fork afford the only way I can
> consume the thing. At home, I toast inside of the bun and try to keep
> the burger thin so the average mouth can bite the whole deal.
>
> I like fresh tomato, onion and ketchup - maybe a very small amt of
> cheese.

This might make a good survey: How thick are your burgers? Many home cooks
like to make burgers about an inch thick. If the most flavor comes from the
browned exterior of the patty, it makes more sense to make two thin patties
than one thick one, because you double that browned surface area. On the
other hand, a thick patty will be juicier.

Bob