Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default (2010-07-09) NS-RFC: If it can't be eaten with a knife and fork...

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Holy chopsticks! Was I first?

Jon

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 13:16:30 -0400, Zeppo wrote:

> "ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> Holy chopsticks! Was I first?
>
> Jon

Well, you were the first to ask if you were the first, so you get first
choice on a TFH.

Enjoy!

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

what nationality's flag is the one that is all white with a red streak going
across it? I don't think this was an optional (as in pick an option)
quiz.....everyone, so far, believe it or not, is on the same page!!!!!
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 12:23:47 -0500, Andy wrote:

> Heck, after 5 votes we've all agreed to disagree!
>
> How often does that happen?
>
> LOL!!!

Heh. You did ask earlier what makes this Friday different from any other
Friday... and we're still none the wiser ;-)

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote on Fri, 09 Jul 2010 19:12:04 +0200:

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

I would modify my response some in that I don't mind using my fingers if
they will not get dirty or require copious napkins to clean them. I
don't mind eating Indian style or Ethiopian and picking up food with
bread but I'm not very good at it and tend to eat more bread than I
really want.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Zeppo wrote on Fri, 9 Jul 2010 13:16:30 -0400:

>Holy chopsticks! Was I first?

I agree with the use of chopsticks and, even if sushi was originally a
finger food, I use chopsticks.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Zeppo" > wrote in message
> Holy chopsticks! Was I first?
>
> Jon
>
> "ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>> --
>> Cheers
>> Chatty Cathy

Wow, first time! 'Improved Reception' looks like it was made for me. I'd
pick one of the tin foil models but the voices in my head said they object.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy polled:

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

At least one of the answers wasn't, "What's a fork?"

I am happy to eat with my hands when the situation is appropriate, and I
*definitely* favor things like whole spices and bones in my food. They add
tons of flavor, I am not stupid enough to try to eat them.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 12:23:47 -0500, Andy > wrote:

> "Zeppo" > wrote:
>
> > Holy chopsticks! Was I first?
> >
> > Jon
> >

> Heck, after 5 votes we've all agreed to disagree!
>
> How often does that happen?

I agreed with a couple of exceptions... like when the meal is an "eat
it with your hands" type. Deep fried chicken comes to mind, not that
I've eaten any deep fried chicken in decades. As far as any other
chicken dish, don't put it on my plate if it has bones. In fact, I
ask pointedly in restaurants when they don't specify boneless on the
menu and won't order it if the answer is "yes, bones". OTOH, what are
short ribs without the rib? I don't actually *order* them, I mooch
off hubby's plate so I don't have to deal with those bones either.
Steaks *never*, never, never with a bone. On the rare occasion I eat
steak in a restaurant, I'll order a boneless cut. Back in the day
when I used to buy bone-in steaks - I deboned them before cooking and
saved the bone for stock.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Chatty Cathy polled:
>
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> At least one of the answers wasn't, "What's a fork?"
>
> I am happy to eat with my hands when the situation is appropriate,
> and I *definitely* favor things like whole spices and bones in my
> food. They add tons of flavor, I am not stupid enough to try to eat
> them.

I know there are people who eat sandwiches with a fork. Hey,
there are people who eat pizza with a fork and knife. I imagine
there are people who eat nachos with utensils. But they aren't
me or anyone I know. What's wrong with finger foods? Maybe
I wouldn't order them on a job interview or something.

Whoever heard of eating ribs with a knife and fork? (laugh) You
out there, Damsel? I like my ribs on the bone, to answer the
second question. And my chicken, and my pork chops. I like
my corn on the cob in the summertime. Why, I eat cherries from
a bowl, but no one pits them for me first!

If someone's on a liquid diet, this might be their survey.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> "James Silverton" > wrote:
>
>> Zeppo wrote on Fri, 9 Jul 2010 13:16:30 -0400:
>>
>>>Holy chopsticks! Was I first?

>> I agree with the use of chopsticks and, even if sushi was originally a
>> finger food, I use chopsticks.

> I had pho at a Pho 76 place in South Philly. They gave me chopsticks, the
> disposable kind.
>
> I gave them my best effort until the waiter, seeing my struggles, walked
> up and offered me a fork.
>
> As embarrassed as I felt, I really needed to get home by next year! LOL!
>
> I was thankful.

Dude! I was just thinking of trying that place. How was it (other than being
very empathic)? I've been on the search for the perfect bowl of Pho lately.
My favorite so far is Pho Xe Lua in Chinatown.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 10:47:54 -0700, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Chatty Cathy polled:
>
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> At least one of the answers wasn't, "What's a fork?"

I try...

> I am happy to eat with my hands when the situation is appropriate, and I
> *definitely* favor things like whole spices and bones in my food. They add
> tons of flavor, I am not stupid enough to try to eat them.

I usually have no objection to whole spices and/or bones in the food on my
plate (even tho' Jack objects to the bones on his) - and yes, I do think
it adds to the flavor while cooking... However, when it comes to things
like oxtail stew that also has those small or tiny bones in it, I have
often almost broken a tooth because I didn't realize the little ones were
still lurking there after removing the bigger ones. But I do hate trying
to eat 'boney' fish even if it has teeny-weeny bones in it - that's why I
tend to give a lot of fresh water fish a miss - because even if it's
'filleted' those damn bones manage to stay there, somehow.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>> Chatty Cathy polled:
>>
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

>> At least one of the answers wasn't, "What's a fork?"
>>
>> I am happy to eat with my hands when the situation is appropriate,
>> and I *definitely* favor things like whole spices and bones in my
>> food. They add tons of flavor, I am not stupid enough to try to eat
>> them.

> I know there are people who eat sandwiches with a fork. Hey,
> there are people who eat pizza with a fork and knife. I imagine
> there are people who eat nachos with utensils.

Sandwiches - check
Pizza - check
Nachos - has been known to happen yes

> But they aren't me or anyone I know. What's wrong with finger foods?

Greasiness. I like a glass of wine with my food, and I abhor greasy
wineglasses.

-j
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Zeppo wrote on Fri, 9 Jul 2010 14:40:58 -0400:

> "Andy" > wrote in message

>>> I agree with the use of chopsticks and, even if sushi was
>>> originally a finger food, I use chopsticks.

>> I had pho at a Pho 76 place in South Philly. They gave me
>> chopsticks, the disposable kind.
>>
>> I gave them my best effort until the waiter, seeing my
>> struggles, walked up and offered me a fork.
>>
>> As embarrassed as I felt, I really needed to get home by next
>> year! LOL!
>>
>> I was thankful.

> Dude! I was just thinking of trying that place. How was it
> (other than being very empathic)? I've been on the search for the
> perfect bowl of Pho lately. My favorite so far is Pho Xe
> Lua in Chinatown.

My favorite Pho place (and several others I've been to) uses large
washable plastic chopsticks, which seem to work well. I think I would
have trouble with Japanese disposable ones. The restaurant does provide
Chinese-style soup spoons but not forks. The chopsticks, spoons, napkins
and various sauces are available from a holder on the table.The waiters
seem to be quite amenable to producing forks if asked.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

About the only thing I don't like which requires fingers-only is
dealing with baby back ribs. Sorry, Tony Roma et al. It's a constant
mess, what with napkins, Wetnaps etc - .
reminds me of the gal I worked with who brought leftover ribs to work
and I had to watch her licking her fingers nonstop after every bite.

Never did master chopsticks, but I do bring 'em home for propping
plants, etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 9, 1:20*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 12:23:47 -0500, Andy > wrote:
> > "Zeppo" > wrote:

> > > Holy chopsticks! Was I first?

> > > Jon

> > Heck, after 5 votes we've all agreed to disagree!

> > How often does that happen?

> I agreed with a couple of exceptions... like when the meal is an "eat
> it with your hands" type. *Deep fried chicken comes to mind, not that
> I've eaten any deep fried chicken in decades. *As far as any other
> chicken dish, don't put it on my plate if it has bones. *In fact, I
> ask pointedly in restaurants when they don't specify boneless on the
> menu and won't order it if the answer is "yes, bones". *OTOH, what are
> short ribs without the rib? *I don't actually *order* them, I mooch
> off hubby's plate so I don't have to deal with those bones either.
> Steaks *never*, never, never with a bone. *On the rare occasion I eat
> steak in a restaurant, I'll order a boneless cut. *Back in the day
> when I used to buy bone-in steaks - I deboned them before cooking and
> saved the bone for stock.
>
> --
> Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

The bones give a lot of flavor to the meat. You're missing a lot of
flavor .... but whatever makes you happy ;-)

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 15:11:47 -0400, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

> My favorite Pho place (and several others I've been to) uses large
> washable plastic chopsticks, which seem to work well.

I despise those things... too awkward and slippery for this round
eyes. I can use them, but given a choice would pick something else.

> I think I would
> have trouble with Japanese disposable ones.

Ugly as most of them are (and the cheap ones split badly too), they
are easier to handle and grip better than those plastic monstrosities.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 14:26:29 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

> Whoever heard of eating ribs with a knife and fork?

My husband does.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 12:38:51 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> The bones give a lot of flavor to the meat. You're missing a lot of
> flavor .... but whatever makes you happy ;-)

I'm not missing any flavor and I've eaten enough bone-in steaks in my
life to know it. I think people who advocate bone-in steaks based on
"flavor" are delusional.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 12:37:29 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

> About the only thing I don't like which requires fingers-only is
> dealing with baby back ribs. Sorry, Tony Roma et al. It's a constant
> mess, what with napkins, Wetnaps etc - .

ICK! Never, never, never in a restaurant... it's bad enough at home.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jack wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:

>>> Chatty Cathy polled:

>> I know there are people who eat sandwiches with a fork. Hey,
>> there are people who eat pizza with a fork and knife. I imagine
>> there are people who eat nachos with utensils.

> Sandwiches - check
> Pizza - check
> Nachos - has been known to happen yes
>
>> But they aren't me or anyone I know. What's wrong with finger foods?

> Greasiness. I like a glass of wine with my food, and I abhor greasy
> wineglasses.

I feel exactly the same way. I really cannot stand to have greasy
hands, wine glass or no. Anything on my hands, like if you're breading
chicken, I wash my hands like five times. But I can eat a sandwich
without making a big mess. Ditto nachos, I grab some un-cheesed
part.

And I am not eating pizza with a fork. You pick it up, fold it, and
eat it that way, the RIGHT way.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:

>jack wrote:

>>> I know there are people who eat sandwiches with a fork. Hey,
>>> there are people who eat pizza with a fork and knife. I imagine
>>> there are people who eat nachos with utensils.

>> Sandwiches - check
>> Pizza - check
>> Nachos - has been known to happen yes
>>
>>> But they aren't me or anyone I know. What's wrong with finger foods?

I don't mind greasy fingers, I lick them off... if the cats don't lick
them off first... how do yoose eat spare ribs, with tongs? Yoose mean
you don't eat finger foods wearing plastic gloves? I can just see
yoose eating potato chips with tweezers. LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/9/2010 5:12 PM, Andy wrote:
> "Nancy > wrote:
>
>> And I am not eating pizza with a fork. You pick it up, fold it, and
>> eat it that way, the RIGHT way.

> nancy,
>
> As if!!!
>
> There's more than one way to tackle a pizza.
>
> For instance, you can't fold a Chicago deep dish pizza.

That's because Chicago Deep Dish isn't pizza. It's a casserole.

Tastes good... but no matter what anyone says, it ain't pizza.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Leppla wrote:
> On 7/9/2010 5:12 PM, Andy wrote:
>> "Nancy > wrote:
>>
>>> And I am not eating pizza with a fork. You pick it up, fold it, and
>>> eat it that way, the RIGHT way.

>> There's more than one way to tackle a pizza.
>>
>> For instance, you can't fold a Chicago deep dish pizza.

> That's because Chicago Deep Dish isn't pizza. It's a casserole.

> Tastes good... but no matter what anyone says, it ain't pizza.

Exactly! Why do they call it pizza, I don't know.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy wrote on Fri, 9 Jul 2010 18:27:31 -0400:

> George Leppla wrote:

>>> There's more than one way to tackle a pizza.
>>>
>>> For instance, you can't fold a Chicago deep dish pizza.

>> That's because Chicago Deep Dish isn't pizza. It's a
>> casserole.

>> Tastes good... but no matter what anyone says, it ain't
>> pizza.

> Exactly! Why do they call it pizza, I don't know.

And why do they call pizza a pie anyway? It's bread or pastry with sauce
and other toppings...Good too!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 12:23:47 -0500, Andy wrote:
>> Heck, after 5 votes we've all agreed to disagree!
>>
>> How often does that happen?
>>
>> LOL!!!

> Heh. You did ask earlier what makes this Friday different from any other
> Friday... and we're still none the wiser ;-)

Isn't that one of the questions asked at the Passover Seder?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in news:i18897$mna
:

> Nancy wrote on Fri, 9 Jul 2010 18:27:31 -0400:
>
>> George Leppla wrote:

>>> That's because Chicago Deep Dish isn't pizza. It's a
>>> casserole.

>>> Tastes good... but no matter what anyone says, it ain't
>>> pizza.

>> Exactly! Why do they call it pizza, I don't know.

> And why do they call pizza a pie anyway?

Apparently, pizza is Italian for pie/tart.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer
gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk,
blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken
bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-
pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das
blinkenlichten
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/9/2010 5:45 PM, Andy wrote:
> "Nancy > wrote:
>
>> George Leppla wrote:

>>> That's because Chicago Deep Dish isn't pizza. It's a casserole.

>>> Tastes good... but no matter what anyone says, it ain't pizza.

>> Exactly! Why do they call it pizza, I don't know.
>>
>> nancy

> I dunno. Take it up with the Chicago Pizza Board.
>
> Now that you just ****ed off millions of Chicagoans!!!

Chicago people are tough... they can take it.

> Who are YOU to settle the Fat vs. skinny pizza debate?

I didn't know there was a debate. There is "Pizza" and then there is
something called "Deep Dish Pizza"... which is good, but it isn't "PIZZA".

I mean, if they can call it "pizza' then why not call a Calzone a pizza?
Or you should be able to call a Stromboli a pizza.

Calzones, Strombolis and Deep Dish pizza may all have the same
ingredients that a pizza has... but they are not PIZZA.

> You probably never set one foot in Chicago.

Huh. Both feet and all the rest of my body... many times. I love
Chicago food, from the hot dogs to the Parker House rolls to the Italian
Beef sandwiches. I even like that Deep Dish Pizza.... and I call it
pizza to keep the peace... but deep down, everyone knows it really isn't.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 9, 1:12*pm, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

Somehow, with this group, the results of this survey don't surprise
me. <g>

maxine in ri
removing the slugs from the salad greens

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 9, 6:36*pm, "gloria.p" > wrote:
> ChattyCathy wrote:
> > On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 12:23:47 -0500, Andy wrote:
> >> Heck, after 5 votes we've all agreed to disagree!

> >> How often does that happen?

> >> LOL!!!

> > Heh. You did ask earlier what makes this Friday different from any other
> > Friday... and we're still none the wiser *;-)

> Isn't that one of the questions asked at the Passover Seder?
>
> gloria p

Just Why is this night different, not any particular night of the
week.<G>

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> > Chatty Cathy polled:
> >
> >> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> > At least one of the answers wasn't, "What's a fork?"
> >
> > I am happy to eat with my hands when the situation is appropriate,
> > and I *definitely* favor things like whole spices and bones in my
> > food. They add tons of flavor, I am not stupid enough to try to eat
> > them.

Same here. I want the bones, the fish head, the whole spices etc. Easy
way to check if the food is 'real' or not LOL.

> I know there are people who eat sandwiches with a fork.

Only the Danish-style open faced ones.

Hey,
> there are people who eat pizza with a fork and knife.

Yes indeed. Not fond of burning the roof of my mouth with that first
bite.

>I imagine
> there are people who eat nachos with utensils.

Occasionally with spoon, if there's too much to stay on the tortilla
crisp

>But they aren't
> me or anyone I know. What's wrong with finger foods? Maybe
> I wouldn't order them on a job interview or something.

If it's burning hot, it's not finger food for me. Utensils were invented
for a reason donchaknow LOL.

> Whoever heard of eating ribs with a knife and fork? (laugh) You
> out there, Damsel? I like my ribs on the bone, to answer the
> second question. And my chicken, and my pork chops. I like
> my corn on the cob in the summertime. Why, I eat cherries from
> a bowl, but no one pits them for me first!
>
> If someone's on a liquid diet, this might be their survey.
>
> nancy

Not fussed with bones, cobs etc. Or pits in olives or cherries either.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/9/2010 1:27 PM, Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>> --
>> Cheers
>> Chatty Cathy
>>

> what nationality's flag is the one that is all white with a red streak going
> across it?

Diagonally from upper left to lower right? City of Strasbourg.

Horizontally across? Dendermonde, Belgium.

I don't think this was an optional (as in pick an option)
> quiz.....everyone, so far, believe it or not, is on the same page!!!!!
> -ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> The bones give a lot of flavor to the meat. You're missing a lot of
>> flavor .... but whatever makes you happy ;-)

> I'm not missing any flavor and I've eaten enough bone-in steaks in my
> life to know it. I think people who advocate bone-in steaks based on
> "flavor" are delusional.

It's a matter of perception. If you can't tell the difference, then FOR YOU
there is no difference. But I can tell the difference, and I'm by no means
alone in that.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>sf wrote:
>
>>> The bones give a lot of flavor to the meat. You're missing a lot of
>>> flavor .... but whatever makes you happy ;-)

>> I'm not missing any flavor and I've eaten enough bone-in steaks in my
>> life to know it. I think people who advocate bone-in steaks based on
>> "flavor" are delusional.

A bone in a steak adds absolutely no extra flavor, a steak doesn't
cook long enough for the bone to make a flavor difference... in a
steak the bone is purely for esthetics and to prove it's the cut of
meat you paid for... and some like to suck bone, well, they simply
love to suck. Now a large hunk of meat that is going to be oven
roasted then the bone does make a flavor difference... when braised
the bone makes a huge difference. Actually if it's flavor one is
after it makes more sense to filet bone-in steaks and save those bones
for soups... I often do just that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz wrote:

> A bone in a steak adds absolutely no extra flavor, a steak doesn't
> cook long enough for the bone to make a flavor difference

Did somebody mention NAMBLA? No? Then what makes you think you have anything
to say?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote

> A bone in a steak adds absolutely no extra flavor, a steak doesn't
> cook long enough for the bone to make a flavor difference... in a
> steak the bone is purely for esthetics and to prove it's the cut of
> meat you paid for...

I agree on the flavor, but it can make some difference on texture as it does
cook a bit different around the bone, depending on how it was cooked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ChattyCathy > wrote:

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

Interesting results. :-)
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote on Fri, 09 Jul 2010 19:12:04 +0200:
>
> > http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
> > --
> > Cheers
> > Chatty Cathy

> I would modify my response some in that I don't mind using my fingers if
> they will not get dirty or require copious napkins to clean them. I
> don't mind eating Indian style or Ethiopian and picking up food with
> bread but I'm not very good at it and tend to eat more bread than I
> really want.

It depends on where I am at. :-)
At home, no big deal. I can get up and wash my hands.

If I am eating something "messy" at work (such as ribs or chicken on the
bone), I will don a fresh, clean pair of disposable gloves to eat with
and I've had co-workers comment on it as a very good idea, and have seen
some of them do it since.

The reason I do that at work is because I may be interrupted in the
middle of my break to have to run back into the lab to do something
(such as issue a unit of blood maybe) so all I have to do is strip the
gloves off to have clean hands and don a fresh pair. :-)

A real time saver when it counts.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sycophant wrote:

> If I am eating something "messy" at work (such as ribs or chicken on the
> bone), I will don a fresh, clean pair of disposable gloves to eat with
> and I've had co-workers comment on it as a very good idea, and have seen
> some of them do it since.

These are gloves which your employer provides for medical work, right? Not
gloves that YOU paid for.

Bob