Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default (2009-05-16) NS-RFC: Eating a burger with a knife and fork

On May 19, 6:21*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> tweeny wrote:
> > I'd prefer to eat 'em the hand, but most restos make 'em too thick,
> > load 'em up, and then put 'em in a bun which turns to paperthin mush
> > after the initial bite. *Knife and fork afford the only way I can
> > consume the thing. At home, I toast *inside of the bun and try to keep
> > the burger thin so the average mouth can bite the whole deal.

> > I like fresh tomato, onion and ketchup - maybe a very small amt of
> > cheese.

> This might make a good survey: How thick are your burgers? Many home cooks
> like to make burgers about an inch thick. If the most flavor comes from the
> browned exterior of the patty, it makes more sense to make two thin patties
> than one thick one, because you double that browned surface area. On the
> other hand, a thick patty will be juicier.

Well, barring the creation of an actual survey...

My burgers are pretty thin. Usually a quarter pound, sometimes a
third of a pound,
flattened to about half an inch thick. Ground chuck, pretty juicy if
I don't get
interrupted while grilling. DH likes them medium to medium well, so
that's
what I shoot for. Nothing inside or mixed with the burger but salt.

I don't go overboard on toppings. A slather of mayo on a toasted bun,
a slice
of sweet onion, a little tomato and some iceberg lettuce. Lots of
salt and
pepper.

Cindy Hamilton