Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Good Quick Tasty Recipe for Belly Ribs....

I bought some Pork Belly Ribs today (I think that the Americans call them
'Country Ribs'..Not sure...I usually cook my din dins quite late of an
evening, and tonight is no exceptions.:-)

I was looking for something a little different tonight to cook them and
serve.. Only for me though, as my son has taken off to the sunny north
(Queensland)..So I cook and prepare only for myself...Then I don't have to
explain to anyone 'why' I eat at all hours of the evening..:-)

Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bigbazza wrote:
> I bought some Pork Belly Ribs today (I think that the Americans call
> them 'Country Ribs'..Not sure...I usually cook my din dins quite late
> of an evening, and tonight is no exceptions.:-)
>
> Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

Don't know the quantity you bought but these are very tasty. The recipe
came from the Good Housekeeping Cookbook and I've made them many times over
the last 20 years.

Marinated Country Ribs

3-4 lbs. country ribs
11 oz. can mandarin orange slices with juice
1/2 c. teriyaki or soy sauce
2 cloves garlic
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1/4 c. crystallized ginger
1 med. onion, quartered

Puree all the ingredients (except the ribs, doh!) until smooth. Pour over
the ribs and marinate in the fridge for several hours or overnight. 2 hours
before serving: preheat oven to 350F. Arrange meat on a rack in a roasting
pan; reserve the marinade. Bake for 1 hour, turning the ribs once. Brush
generously with marinade and bake another 1-1/2 hours until fork tender,
basting and turning every 20-30 minutes.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Bigbazza wrote:
>> I bought some Pork Belly Ribs today (I think that the Americans call
>> them 'Country Ribs'..Not sure...I usually cook my din dins quite late
>> of an evening, and tonight is no exceptions.:-)
>>
>> Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

> Don't know the quantity you bought but these are very tasty. The recipe
> came from the Good Housekeeping Cookbook and I've made them many times
> over
> the last 20 years.
>
> Marinated Country Ribs
>
> 3-4 lbs. country ribs
> 11 oz. can mandarin orange slices with juice
> 1/2 c. teriyaki or soy sauce
> 2 cloves garlic
> 1/4 c. vegetable oil
> 1/4 c. crystallized ginger
> 1 med. onion, quartered
>
> Puree all the ingredients (except the ribs, doh!) until smooth. Pour over
> the ribs and marinate in the fridge for several hours or overnight. 2
> hours
> before serving: preheat oven to 350F. Arrange meat on a rack in a
> roasting
> pan; reserve the marinade. Bake for 1 hour, turning the ribs once. Brush
> generously with marinade and bake another 1-1/2 hours until fork tender,
> basting and turning every 20-30 minutes.
>
> Jill

Thank you, Jill...Sorry I haven't gotten back to you...By the time I wanted
to cook them, I had already gone ahead, as you folk are in the Upper part of
planet earth..I live down under :-)

I am actually having the rest of them tonight..It is now too late to
marinate them.. but this sounds very nice..I will put it amongst my to try
recipes..It sounds like a nice way to cook them... That 'Crystallised
Ginger' sounds yummy to add to the marinade...Thanks..

Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 20:20:11 +1100, Bigbazza wrote:
>
>> I bought some Pork Belly Ribs today (I think that the Americans call
>> them
>> 'Country Ribs'..Not sure...

> Belly ribs would imply spare ribs. Country ribs come from the
> shoulder or loin/back (close to the shoulder).
>
> What did they look like?
>
> -sw

I did try hard to find a URL that had a pic of them, but failed to find
one...They come from the cut that the Chinese mainly use for cooking... If
you buy a piece of pork belly to cook..It has the rib bones removed and is
approx no more than 2" high..The ribs I use are the belly that is cut in
approx 1 1/2 inch slices of the belly...

Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<asd> wrote in message ...
> Not sure if your grocery stores sell them as well, but my family were big
> fans of using the oven cooking bags. We would combine the ribs with canned
> bbq/baked beans, small cut veg and a combination of sauces that you might
> like, but can easily use catsup, mustard, bbq sauce, brown sugar, hoisin,
> sriracha...whatever is available and will hold up to longer cooking.
>
> Here are the bags and a fantastic way to do country ribs:
> http://www.alcoa.com/reynoldskitchen...7&prod_id=1790
>
> evan

Thanks...I see a great variety of recipes on that sight...I have kept it.. I
only saw one recipe for ribs though...I have never cooked them before in
oven bags...

Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

>Most Americans would find the ribs+belly to fatty to cook VIA the
>traditional American methods.

But there's a trend now towards very fat-laden cuts such as
this. The New York Times did an article on it a few months
ago, and in line with this trend I had roasted pork belly at
the now-defunct Winterland in San Francisco.

(By that, I mean the now-defunct restaurant, not the also
defunct concert venue at the same location.)

Essentially it was a cube 2" (or more) on a side cut from
the pork belly, streaked with fat, about a 2/3 or more fat ratio,
roasted so that some of the outside was slightly crispy but
mostly just globs of fat.

Tasty but not something you want to eat more than once in
a great while. 4 ounces of pure fat is 1000 fat calories,
and that's probably what we're talking about, and only a
couple hundred (at most) protein calories.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Nov 2, 1:20 am, "Bigbazza" > wrote:
> I bought some Pork Belly Ribs today (I think that the Americans call them
> 'Country Ribs'..Not sure...I usually cook my din dins quite late of an
> evening, and tonight is no exceptions.:-)
>
> I was looking for something a little different tonight to cook them and
> serve.. Only for me though, as my son has taken off to the sunny north
> (Queensland)..So I cook and prepare only for myself...Then I don't have to
> explain to anyone 'why' I eat at all hours of the evening..:-)

Here's something a little different in flavor that you can cook any
time it's convenient because it can be interrupted after Step 1 and
finished later.

1. Season the ribs with salt and pepper, place in an ovenproof dish,
and bake at 275°F for 90 minutes.
[optional: stop here, refrigerate ribs covered; later, bring
them back to room temp and continue]

2. Puree these sauce ingredients in a blender:
2 TB soy sauce
2 TB rice wine or dry sherry or dry vermouth
2 TB hoisin sauce
2 TB tomato paste
4 cloves garlic, peeled
2 TB fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 TB sugar
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 teaspoons chili bean paste

3. Raise the oven temp to 350°F. Add the sauce to the ribs, turn to
coat evenly. Bake for 30 minutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 10:34:51 -0800, aem > wrote:

snip to my lou

>2. Puree these sauce ingredients in a blender:
> 2 TB soy sauce
> 2 TB rice wine or dry sherry or dry vermouth
> 2 TB hoisin sauce
> 2 TB tomato paste
> 4 cloves garlic, peeled
> 2 TB fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
> 1 TB sugar
> 1 teaspoon sesame oil
> 2 teaspoons chili bean paste

my darling

Dang, that sauce recipe is a keeper, it looks really good.

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 11/04

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw