Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Quick but Tasty Dinner Tonight

Fresh penne pasta from the Italian market, served with long-simmered meat
sauce from the freezer; garlic toast made from ciabatta from the Italian
market, rubbed with fresh garlic, brushed with olive oil, toasted 1st side,
lightly toasted 2nd side, then topped with slices of fresh mozzarella and
broiled 'til cheese melted. Salad of field greens with mild Italian
vinaigrette. Tiramisu from the Italian market. 30 minutes from start to
table. So good I'd like to eat it all over again. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
All happiness depends on a leisurely breakfast. ~John Gunther

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.250...
> Fresh penne pasta from the Italian market, served with long-simmered meat
> sauce from the freezer; garlic toast made from ciabatta from the Italian
> market, rubbed with fresh garlic, brushed with olive oil, toasted 1st
> side,
> lightly toasted 2nd side, then topped with slices of fresh mozzarella and
> broiled 'til cheese melted. Salad of field greens with mild Italian
> vinaigrette. Tiramisu from the Italian market. 30 minutes from start to
> table. So good I'd like to eat it all over again. :-)
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Lemon cake
dried apricot cookies
decaf coffee
Revelation 13

Later
Grilled Chili dogs & squirt

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 03 Jun 2009 11:07:03p, Dimitri told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 5.250...
>> Fresh penne pasta from the Italian market, served with long-simmered

meat
>> sauce from the freezer; garlic toast made from ciabatta from the Italian
>> market, rubbed with fresh garlic, brushed with olive oil, toasted 1st
>> side, lightly toasted 2nd side, then topped with slices of fresh
>> mozzarella and broiled 'til cheese melted. Salad of field greens with
>> mild Italian vinaigrette. Tiramisu from the Italian market. 30 minutes
>> from start to table. So good I'd like to eat it all over again. :-)
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> Lemon cake
> dried apricot cookies
> decaf coffee
> Revelation 13
>
> Later
> Grilled Chili dogs & squirt
>
> Dimitri

Did you make the dried apricot cookies? I would love to have the recipe.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Anyhow, the hole in the doughnut is at least digestible. ~H.L. Mencken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Fresh penne pasta from the Italian market, served with long-simmered meat
> sauce from the freezer; garlic toast made from ciabatta from the Italian
> market, rubbed with fresh garlic, brushed with olive oil, toasted 1st side,
> lightly toasted 2nd side, then topped with slices of fresh mozzarella and
> broiled 'til cheese melted. Salad of field greens with mild Italian
> vinaigrette. Tiramisu from the Italian market. 30 minutes from start to
> table. So good I'd like to eat it all over again. :-)

Sounds wonderful.

I tried to recreate kumara soup like we had in NZ recently.
I didn't have real kumara
of course, but I used Royal Garnet yams (the very dark
orange ones.) The only onions
I had home were Vidalias.

As I suspected, the soup was very sweet but DH said it was a
keeper recipe.
I will try again with the pale yellow sweet potatoes and
regular yellow onions.

I used:
2 yams
1 large onion
2 stalks celery
2 cloves garlic
sea salt, black pepper
dash of balsamic vinegar
tsp. curry powder
2 sprigs of lovage
finely chopped fresh thyme.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.250...
> Fresh penne pasta from the Italian market, served with long-simmered meat
> sauce from the freezer; garlic toast made from ciabatta from the Italian
> market, rubbed with fresh garlic, brushed with olive oil, toasted 1st
> side,
> lightly toasted 2nd side, then topped with slices of fresh mozzarella and
> broiled 'til cheese melted. Salad of field greens with mild Italian
> vinaigrette. Tiramisu from the Italian market. 30 minutes from start to
> table. So good I'd like to eat it all over again. :-)
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright
> All happiness depends on a leisurely breakfast. ~John Gunther

Sounds like you have a great Italian market! I am envious. We probably
have some in the city, but nothing close by.

Dale P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Fresh penne pasta from the Italian market, served with long-simmered meat
> sauce from the freezer; garlic toast made from ciabatta from the Italian
> market, rubbed with fresh garlic, brushed with olive oil, toasted 1st side,
> lightly toasted 2nd side, then topped with slices of fresh mozzarella and
> broiled 'til cheese melted. Salad of field greens with mild Italian
> vinaigrette. Tiramisu from the Italian market. 30 minutes from start to
> table. So good I'd like to eat it all over again. :-)

How do you manage all those carbs? Doesn't it do things to your blood
glucose levels?

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> > Fresh penne pasta from the Italian market, served with long-simmered meat
> > sauce from the freezer; garlic toast made from ciabatta from the Italian
> > market, rubbed with fresh garlic, brushed with olive oil, toasted 1st side,
> > lightly toasted 2nd side, then topped with slices of fresh mozzarella and
> > broiled 'til cheese melted. Salad of field greens with mild Italian
> > vinaigrette. Tiramisu from the Italian market. 30 minutes from start to
> > table. So good I'd like to eat it all over again. :-)
> >

> How do you manage all those carbs? Doesn't it do things to your blood
> glucose levels?

Works for me:

2/3 cup pasta
one small toast
one carb portion worth of tiramisu (counts for evening snack)

and salad to fill my stomach without upping my carbs

Don't forget the walk after dinner!

I'm on insulin twice a day.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 04 Jun 2009 11:07:32a, Janet Wilder told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Fresh penne pasta from the Italian market, served with long-simmered
>> meat sauce from the freezer; garlic toast made from ciabatta from the
>> Italian market, rubbed with fresh garlic, brushed with olive oil,
>> toasted 1st side, lightly toasted 2nd side, then topped with slices of
>> fresh mozzarella and broiled 'til cheese melted. Salad of field greens
>> with mild Italian vinaigrette. Tiramisu from the Italian market. 30
>> minutes from start to table. So good I'd like to eat it all over
>> again. :-)
>>

> How do you manage all those carbs? Doesn't it do things to your blood
> glucose levels?

I'm only on oral meds, but well controlled. Eating something like this
will give me a spike of very short duration, about a half hour. I don't do
it often, so I don't worry too much about it.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sugar is a type of bodily fuel, yes, but your body runs about as

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 04 Jun 2009 09:59:06a, Puester told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Fresh penne pasta from the Italian market, served with long-simmered
>> meat sauce from the freezer; garlic toast made from ciabatta from the
>> Italian market, rubbed with fresh garlic, brushed with olive oil,
>> toasted 1st side, lightly toasted 2nd side, then topped with slices of
>> fresh mozzarella and broiled 'til cheese melted. Salad of field greens
>> with mild Italian vinaigrette. Tiramisu from the Italian market. 30
>> minutes from start to table. So good I'd like to eat it all over
>> again. :-)
>>

> Sounds wonderful.
>
> I tried to recreate kumara soup like we had in NZ recently.
> I didn't have real kumara
> of course, but I used Royal Garnet yams (the very dark
> orange ones.) The only onions
> I had home were Vidalias.
>
> As I suspected, the soup was very sweet but DH said it was a
> keeper recipe.
> I will try again with the pale yellow sweet potatoes and
> regular yellow onions.
>
> I used:
> 2 yams
> 1 large onion
> 2 stalks celery
> 2 cloves garlic
> sea salt, black pepper
> dash of balsamic vinegar
> tsp. curry powder
> 2 sprigs of lovage
> finely chopped fresh thyme.
>
> gloria p

The soup sounds wonderful. I don't like the yellow sweet potatoes so I
would probabaly stick with the dark orange yams and use regular yellow
onion instead of a sweet onion.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 05:16:20 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>Fresh penne pasta from the Italian market, served with long-simmered meat
>sauce from the freezer; garlic toast made from ciabatta from the Italian
>market, rubbed with fresh garlic, brushed with olive oil, toasted 1st side,
>lightly toasted 2nd side, then topped with slices of fresh mozzarella and
>broiled 'til cheese melted. Salad of field greens with mild Italian
>vinaigrette. Tiramisu from the Italian market. 30 minutes from start to
>table. So good I'd like to eat it all over again. :-)

Dang, I can picture this meal. Sounds wonderful.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 04 Jun 2009 05:23:11p, koko told us...

> On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 05:16:20 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>Fresh penne pasta from the Italian market, served with long-simmered
>>meat sauce from the freezer; garlic toast made from ciabatta from the
>>Italian market, rubbed with fresh garlic, brushed with olive oil,
>>toasted 1st side, lightly toasted 2nd side, then topped with slices of
>>fresh mozzarella and broiled 'til cheese melted. Salad of field greens
>>with mild Italian vinaigrette. Tiramisu from the Italian market. 30
>>minutes from start to table. So good I'd like to eat it all over again.
>> :-)

> Dang, I can picture this meal. Sounds wonderful.
>
> koko

Thanks, Koko!

--
Wayne Boatwright
The poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese.