Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Food for the man who had oral surgery

James got two wisdom teeth taken out, so it was soft food day.

Soup: sieved tomatoes, chopped tomatoes, onions/garlic sauteed in
olive oil, a little salt and pepper, a bay leaf, and some vegetable
juice we didn't care for, but which made a fine soup base -- it was
something like carrot/beet/spinach.

Taters: Mashed russets with garlic butter and grated cheddar.

Ice cream (store-bought, with the unfortunate name "Fudge Tracks")

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene-O-Matic wrote:

> James got two wisdom teeth taken out, so it was soft food day.
>
> Soup: sieved tomatoes, chopped tomatoes, onions/garlic sauteed in
> olive oil, a little salt and pepper, a bay leaf, and some vegetable
> juice we didn't care for, but which made a fine soup base -- it was
> something like carrot/beet/spinach.
>
> Taters: Mashed russets with garlic butter and grated cheddar.

Jook and congee (Asian rice porridges) are also good, there are many
variations...

> Ice cream (store-bought, with the unfortunate name "Fudge Tracks")

Lol...sounds like one of those odd - sounding things you'd see in Japan...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Serene-O-Matic > said:

> James got two wisdom teeth taken out, so it was soft food day.
>
> Soup: sieved tomatoes, chopped tomatoes, onions/garlic sauteed in
> olive oil, a little salt and pepper, a bay leaf, and some vegetable
> juice we didn't care for, but which made a fine soup base -- it was
> something like carrot/beet/spinach.
>
> Taters: Mashed russets with garlic butter and grated cheddar.
>
> Ice cream (store-bought, with the unfortunate name "Fudge Tracks")

When DH has his wisdoms out, he craved scrambled eggs made in the
microwave. I must have cooked half a dozen for his post-surgery
dinner. The funny thing is that I'd only cooked them that way
once, and haven't done it since. But they were quite fluffy,
which made them easier to, um, gum... ;-)

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 06:16:58 -0700, Lobster Man >
wrote:

>sf wrote:
>>
>> I do scrambled eggs in the saute pan... with lots of buttah. Oh, man
>> - they are decadent!
>>

>Some guys are such wimps.
>
>Two days after having the remaining 6 upper teeth removed, and a upper
>denture plate fitted, I was eating steak.

Was it pre-gummed?

<ducking>

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Little Malice wrote:

>>> I do scrambled eggs in the saute pan... with lots of buttah. Oh, man
>>> - they are decadent!

> I normally do too, but for some reason he really liked the microwaved
> eggs that day.

When the babies were small, I used this cookbook "Feed Me! I'm Yours!"
or something like that. It was full of good healthy nursery meals. One
recipe was for scrambled eggs but in a double boiler.Perhaps a version
of shirred eggs? I don't know? They were incredibly smooth and nice. I
don't eat eggs on their own but they were appealing to me too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Little Malice wrote:
> One time on Usenet, Serene-O-Matic > said:
>
>> James got two wisdom teeth taken out, so it was soft food day.
>>
>> Soup: sieved tomatoes, chopped tomatoes, onions/garlic sauteed in
>> olive oil, a little salt and pepper, a bay leaf, and some vegetable
>> juice we didn't care for, but which made a fine soup base -- it was
>> something like carrot/beet/spinach.
>>
>> Taters: Mashed russets with garlic butter and grated cheddar.
>>
>> Ice cream (store-bought, with the unfortunate name "Fudge Tracks")

> When DH has his wisdoms out, he craved scrambled eggs made in the
> microwave. I must have cooked half a dozen for his post-surgery
> dinner. The funny thing is that I'd only cooked them that way
> once, and haven't done it since. But they were quite fluffy,
> which made them easier to, um, gum... ;-)

I'm so lucky in that I don't have wisdom teeth! No, seriously, not everyone
has them and I don't. So, when my brother Scott had all his teeth yanked
out and replaced by implants he needed soft food for a YEAR because that's
how long the process took.

He ate a lot of soup, mac & cheese, mashed potatoes, soft boiled and
scrambled eggs. Spaghetti with tomato sauce but no meat. Biscuits soaked
in gravy, but no meat. More soup, crackers soaked until soggy. You''re
getting the picture, right? It's like feeding a baby. A 50 year old baby.

When he finally got his implanted teeth (LOL) he was so happy to bite into a
nice rare steak. And I'm not sure he'll ever eat a baked potato again.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Lobster Man > said:
> sf wrote:
> > On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 06:23:11 GMT, unge (Little
> > Malice) wrote:

> >>When DH has his wisdoms out, he craved scrambled eggs made in the
> >>microwave. I must have cooked half a dozen for his post-surgery
> >>dinner. The funny thing is that I'd only cooked them that way
> >>once, and haven't done it since. But they were quite fluffy,
> >>which made them easier to, um, gum... ;-)

> > I do scrambled eggs in the saute pan... with lots of buttah. Oh, man
> > - they are decadent!

I normally do too, but for some reason he really liked the microwaved
eggs that day.

> Some guys are such wimps.
>
> Two days after having the remaining 6 upper teeth removed, and a upper
> denture plate fitted, I was eating steak.

That's two days later -- I was talking about same day as the
surgery...

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 06:16:58 -0700, Lobster Man >
> wrote:
>

>>sf wrote:
>>
>>>I do scrambled eggs in the saute pan... with lots of buttah. Oh, man
>>>- they are decadent!
>>>

>>Some guys are such wimps.
>>
>>Two days after having the remaining 6 upper teeth removed, and a upper
>>denture plate fitted, I was eating steak.

> Was it pre-gummed?

No. Medium rare.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Little Malice wrote:
> One time on Usenet, Serene-O-Matic > said:
>
>> James got two wisdom teeth taken out, so it was soft food day.
>>
>> Soup: sieved tomatoes, chopped tomatoes, onions/garlic sauteed in
>> olive oil, a little salt and pepper, a bay leaf, and some vegetable
>> juice we didn't care for, but which made a fine soup base -- it was
>> something like carrot/beet/spinach.
>>
>> Taters: Mashed russets with garlic butter and grated cheddar.
>>
>> Ice cream (store-bought, with the unfortunate name "Fudge Tracks")

> When DH has his wisdoms out, he craved scrambled eggs made in the
> microwave. I must have cooked half a dozen for his post-surgery
> dinner. The funny thing is that I'd only cooked them that way
> once, and haven't done it since. But they were quite fluffy,
> which made them easier to, um, gum... ;-)

:-) After I posted yesterday, I made him dinner of an omelet with
farmhouse cheddar, then topped with chopped ripe avocado. He said it
was slightly hard to eat, but delicious.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene-O-Matic wrote:

> James got two wisdom teeth taken out, so it was soft food day.

About half a year ago, I had two wisdom teeth
removed. That was when I bought my Braun
hand blender. It was a really great purchase.
For quite some time, everything was pureed.

Even after I returned to normal food, I found
it to be a very handy tool for making pureed
roasted red bell pepper (which is mixed with
a Dijon mustard to give a nice red mustard)
and making pesto.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Serene-O-Matic > said:
> Little Malice wrote:
> > One time on Usenet, Serene-O-Matic > said:
> >
> >> James got two wisdom teeth taken out, so it was soft food day.
> >>
> >> Soup: sieved tomatoes, chopped tomatoes, onions/garlic sauteed in
> >> olive oil, a little salt and pepper, a bay leaf, and some vegetable
> >> juice we didn't care for, but which made a fine soup base -- it was
> >> something like carrot/beet/spinach.
> >>
> >> Taters: Mashed russets with garlic butter and grated cheddar.
> >>
> >> Ice cream (store-bought, with the unfortunate name "Fudge Tracks")

> > When DH has his wisdoms out, he craved scrambled eggs made in the
> > microwave. I must have cooked half a dozen for his post-surgery
> > dinner. The funny thing is that I'd only cooked them that way
> > once, and haven't done it since. But they were quite fluffy,
> > which made them easier to, um, gum... ;-)
> >

> :-) After I posted yesterday, I made him dinner of an omelet with
> farmhouse cheddar, then topped with chopped ripe avocado. He said it
> was slightly hard to eat, but delicious.

Mmmm, sounds wonderful! But then it's been 20 years since I had
the last of my wisdom teeth removed. Jill's lucky, she doesn't have
any. That's right up there with having them come in straight in the
first place. :-) I don't use avocado that much because DH doesn't
care for it, but putting it on omelet (or a salad) is a nice idea,
thanks...

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Mark Thorson > said:
> Serene-O-Matic wrote:
> >
> > James got two wisdom teeth taken out, so it was soft food day.

> About half a year ago, I had two wisdom teeth
> removed. That was when I bought my Braun
> hand blender. It was a really great purchase.
> For quite some time, everything was pureed.
>
> Even after I returned to normal food, I found
> it to be a very handy tool for making pureed
> roasted red bell pepper (which is mixed with
> a Dijon mustard to give a nice red mustard)
> and making pesto.

Do you roast your own peppers, Mark? Or buy them -- I've used
the jarred once in a recipe that called for them. I've heard
that those lucky souls with gas stoves can roast them right
on their range top, but I could be mistaken...

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Little Malice wrote:

> Do you roast your own peppers, Mark? Or buy them -- I've
> used the jarred once in a recipe that called for them.
> I've heard that those lucky souls with gas stoves can roast
> them right on their range top, but I could be mistaken...

I always roast them. I've never bought the ones
in jars. It's simple as dirt to roast them on
a gas stovetop. It became much easier once I
learned the trick of just leaving it on the
burner, turning from time to time. Before that,
I would hold the pepper in the hottest part of
the flame with tongs. That gave a slightly more
uniform result, but the labor wasn't worth it.
It's better to just set it and not-forget it,
turning it whenever the sides exposed to the
flame become thoroughly blackened.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Little Malice wrote:

> Do you roast your own peppers, Mark? Or buy them -- I've used
> the jarred once in a recipe that called for them. I've heard
> that those lucky souls with gas stoves can roast them right
> on their range top, but I could be mistaken...

That's how I do mine. I just wash them and toss 'em on the flame,
turning as they blacken. They do give off a slightly "hempish" smell,
lol, which gave my kids a pause wondering what Mom was up to? LOL
I roast a batch of them and toss them into my dutch oven to steam while
doing the rest. After they sit awhile I can pull the charred skin off
and proceed with whatever I want to do with them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene-O-Matic > wrote:

> James got two wisdom teeth taken out, so it was soft food day.
>
> Soup: sieved tomatoes, chopped tomatoes, onions/garlic sauteed in
> olive oil, a little salt and pepper, a bay leaf, and some vegetable
> juice we didn't care for, but which made a fine soup base -- it was
> something like carrot/beet/spinach.
>
> Taters: Mashed russets with garlic butter and grated cheddar.
>
> Ice cream (store-bought, with the unfortunate name "Fudge Tracks")

Here is what I posted in a similar thread about a month ago:

As to mashed potatoes, you can make rissoles out of them and stuff them
with, say, finely minced sautéed or stewed mushrooms, or with cooked and
finely minced meat. Serve the mushroom-filled version with sour cream
and the meat-filled one with mushroom sauce. Make various kashas, for
example semolina kasha which can be savoury or sweet. Make Indian dal
dishes. Also consider pease pudding. For dessert, make kisel, a fruit
juice, starch, sugar and water or milk concoction, a kind of fool. Or
indeed make a fresh fruit fool with berries, sugar and cream. Or crème
brûlée. Or mousse au chocolat.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Little Malice wrote:

> Mmmm, sounds wonderful! But then it's been 20 years since I had
> the last of my wisdom teeth removed. Jill's lucky, she doesn't have
> any. That's right up there with having them come in straight in the
> first place. :-)

Oh, yeah! I was one of the unfortunates. My jaw is so small that
they had to pull *eight* teeth to make room (four regular, four
wisdom), and then give me braces to fill in the gaps. Not fun. But
when I got my wisdoms pulled, I felt fine by that evening, so I
lucked into a high pain tolerance along with my tiny jaw.

> I don't use avocado that much because DH doesn't
> care for it, but putting it on omelet (or a salad) is a nice idea,
> thanks...

I love avocados beyond all reason. One of my favorite thing to eat
is tortilla soup with avocado chunks on top. Sometimes I'll fake it
by making any tomato-based soup, throwing in some tortilla chips,
and adding avocado.

Now I'm kinda hungry. This place does that to me. :-)

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Little Malice wrote:

> Do you roast your own peppers, Mark? Or buy them -- I've used
> the jarred once in a recipe that called for them. I've heard
> that those lucky souls with gas stoves can roast them right
> on their range top, but I could be mistaken...

My range is electric, and I do them under the broiler. Works great.
Broil, turning often, until all sides are starting to blacken and
blister. Toss them in a paper bag and close the bag. Let them cool
a while, then slip the skins off.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Little Malice wrote:
>
>> Do you roast your own peppers, Mark? Or buy them -- I've used the
>> jarred once in a recipe that called for them. I've heard
>> that those lucky souls with gas stoves can roast them right
>> on their range top, but I could be mistaken...
>>

> That's how I do mine. I just wash them and toss 'em on the flame,
> turning as they blacken. They do give off a slightly "hempish" smell,
> lol, which gave my kids a pause wondering what Mom was up to? LOL

Poor Guy can't stand the smell of peppers. On pepper-roasting day,
he's in misery.

Serene

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 18:47:09 -0400, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>Little Malice wrote:
>
>> Do you roast your own peppers, Mark? Or buy them -- I've used
>> the jarred once in a recipe that called for them. I've heard
>> that those lucky souls with gas stoves can roast them right
>> on their range top, but I could be mistaken...
>>

>That's how I do mine. I just wash them and toss 'em on the flame,
>turning as they blacken.

I don't have a gas stove, just electric, so I just put the peppers on
a cookie sheet and put them under the broiler. Turn every 3-4 minutes.
I find it takes about 15 minutes to char them to my satisfaction.

Jo Anne
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:

> Here is what I posted in a similar thread about a month ago:
>
> As to mashed potatoes, you can make rissoles out of them and stuff them
> with, say, finely minced sautéed or stewed mushrooms, or with cooked and
> finely minced meat.

That would've been too much for him yesterday, but today he's eating
food that's a little more solid. He decided that he had a hankering
for canned chili con carne (no beans), so I bought him that, and I
got more potatoes, because mashed potatoes seem to be really going
down well. Later, I think I'll make some borscht or something.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene-O-Matic wrote:
and I got more
> potatoes, because mashed potatoes seem to be really going down well.
> Later, I think I'll make some borscht or something.
>
> Serene

Back in the late 70's, my parents and I would travel to Baltimore at
times. My folks always liked to go down to the docks and see the ships
and not infrequently the officers would invite them aboard, and in
return they would take the officers out to dinner, which was a treat for
them to get off the ship and go to someplace new.
One visit to Baltimore was memorable as the ship was Russian. More
surprising was that we were invited on board and shown some limited
areas of the ship. The officer who was guiding us spoke pretty good
English. We three were shown around until at one point my father seemed
to have lagged behind. My mother turned to me and just said in a casual
fashion "...daddy seems to be missing" to which the officer replied in a
slightly alarmed manner "Madam! Daddy is NOT missing!" LOL. I think he
had images of an international incident or something? We found Daddy
tucked into a wardroom seated while two older female cooks (in ugly
house dresses, and babushkas) served him borscht and dark bread. They
seemed to quite proud. I don't recall ever hearing how he managed to
talk his way there but he always did manage to charm ladies.. lol. He
said it was excellent soup!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 23, 7:30 pm, Serene-O-Matic > wrote:
> James got two wisdom teeth taken out, so it was soft food day.

I feel for James. . .It reminds me of way back, when I was a skinny 17
year old girl, who underwent the extraction of 4 impacted wisdom
teeth, by a "gorilla."

My mouth was so swollen, I couldn't get my teeth to clinch shut, for
over a week. I didn't want to eat for the first 3 days (I was running
a high fever), but the first food I ate after that, was a homemade
chicken soup my mother made. She also made custard, and mashed
potatoes and gravy.

Just hearing about extractions of wisdom teeth, knee jerks me back to
my own experience. . .I hope James is doing well.

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, goomba38
@comcast.net says...
> Little Malice wrote:
>
> > Do you roast your own peppers, Mark? Or buy them -- I've used
> > the jarred once in a recipe that called for them. I've heard
> > that those lucky souls with gas stoves can roast them right
> > on their range top, but I could be mistaken...
> >

> That's how I do mine. I just wash them and toss 'em on the flame,
> turning as they blacken. They do give off a slightly "hempish" smell,
> lol, which gave my kids a pause wondering what Mom was up to? LOL
> I roast a batch of them and toss them into my dutch oven to steam while
> doing the rest. After they sit awhile I can pull the charred skin off
> and proceed with whatever I want to do with them.

I dunno, I'd be more worried that your kids know what the smell is. I
remember a time I came home to a house reeking of the stuff and I looked
at my father and asked "Ok, who's smoking pot in the house?"

The gig was up there and then. But then I had the goods on the old man
who was dry roasting the stuff. We had a batch growing out back.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Serene-O-Matic > said:
> Little Malice wrote:
>
> > Do you roast your own peppers, Mark? Or buy them -- I've used
> > the jarred once in a recipe that called for them. I've heard
> > that those lucky souls with gas stoves can roast them right
> > on their range top, but I could be mistaken...

> My range is electric, and I do them under the broiler. Works great.
> Broil, turning often, until all sides are starting to blacken and
> blister. Toss them in a paper bag and close the bag. Let them cool
> a while, then slip the skins off.

I'm going to try this soon -- I also have an electric range. At least
until we remodel the kitchen in a couple of years, then we'll see...

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Goomba38 > said:
> Little Malice wrote:
>
> > Do you roast your own peppers, Mark? Or buy them -- I've used
> > the jarred once in a recipe that called for them. I've heard
> > that those lucky souls with gas stoves can roast them right
> > on their range top, but I could be mistaken...
> >

> That's how I do mine. I just wash them and toss 'em on the flame,
> turning as they blacken. They do give off a slightly "hempish" smell,
> lol, which gave my kids a pause wondering what Mom was up to? LOL
> I roast a batch of them and toss them into my dutch oven to steam while
> doing the rest. After they sit awhile I can pull the charred skin off
> and proceed with whatever I want to do with them.

Thanks for this -- I've saved yours and Mark's instructions and will
try them if/when I get a gas stove... :-)

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote

> I feel for James. . .It reminds me of way back, when I was a skinny 17
> year old girl, who underwent the extraction of 4 impacted wisdom
> teeth, by a "gorilla."

> Just hearing about extractions of wisdom teeth, knee jerks me back to
> my own experience. . .I hope James is doing well.

All these horror stories. I have had dentists, usually the younger,
fresh out of school types my dentist keeps partnering up with, who
say I can't *wait* to get my hands on those wisdom teeth. They
are perfectly straight, give me no problems, not even a cavity.

So they want me to go through that pain for no reason. Not
likely. Still have a full set of teeth.

nancy

I Survived Surgery!!! Dave Bugg Barbecue 61 23-07-2009 07:48 PM
Post Dental Surgery Food? [email protected] General Cooking 29 24-07-2005 08:27 PM
Surgery jmcquown General Cooking 28 21-06-2004 11:32 PM
What to eat after oral surgery? Wayne Boatwright General Cooking 58 11-11-2003 05:26 AM
Gift for the oral surgery patient! Wayne Boatwright General Cooking 8 09-11-2003 03:01 AM