jmcquown

Default Surgery

Dog3 wrote:
> For those that care, I'm going in for another surgery, hopefully the
> last, at noon on Monday. For those of you that care, I'll be at
> Missouri Baptist, 3015 N. Ballas Road, St. Louis MO 63131. The phone
> there is 314-996-5000. I'll be there about a week. They will NOT
> allow me to bring my cell phone.
>
> Michael

Of course we care, Michael! You'll be in my thoughts.

Jill

Nexis

"Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
4...
> For those that care, I'm going in for another surgery, hopefully the last,
> at noon on Monday. For those of you that care, I'll be at Missouri

Baptist,
> 3015 N. Ballas Road, St. Louis MO 63131. The phone there is 314-996-5000.
> I'll be there about a week. They will NOT allow me to bring my cell

phone.

> Michael
>
> --
> Deathbed statement...
>
> "Codeine . . . bourbon."
> ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d. December 12, 1968

Good luck, and bless you.

kimberly

limey

Good luck, Michael - we'll all be thinking of you. Sounds like you're
coming out of the woods at last.

Dora

Julian9EHP

I hope they'll let you take a radio/cassette player. Music -- and, for me, NPR
-- helps a lot.

Get well.

E. P.
Jack Schidt®

"Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
4...
> For those that care, I'm going in for another surgery, hopefully the last,
> at noon on Monday. For those of you that care, I'll be at Missouri

Baptist,
> 3015 N. Ballas Road, St. Louis MO 63131. The phone there is 314-996-5000.
> I'll be there about a week. They will NOT allow me to bring my cell

phone.

> Michael
>
> --

Oh no, not again!

Are they taking anything out that we might be interested in?

Jack Shaddup

Wayne

Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in
:

> "Jack Schidt®" > got ****ed off and typed
> :
>

>> "Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
>> 4...
>>> For those that care, I'm going in for another surgery, hopefully the
>>> last, at noon on Monday. For those of you that care, I'll be at
>>> Missouri

>> Baptist,
>>> 3015 N. Ballas Road, St. Louis MO 63131. The phone there is
>>> 314-996-5000. I'll be there about a week. They will NOT allow me to
>>> bring my cell

>> phone.
>>>
>>> Michael
>>>
>>> --

>> Oh no, not again!
>>
>> Are they taking anything out that we might be interested in?
>>
>> Jack Shaddup

> No, it's a reversal of that ostomy thing. I'm going back to normal.
>
> Michael

Wow, you're not having to wait too long for this, although i'm sure it
must seem like a long time. I've known two other people who have had
temporary ostomies and both had to wait over a year for the reversal.

That's great news!

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Paul M. Cook©®

"Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
> "Jack Schidt®" > got ****ed off and typed
> :
>

> > "Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
> > 4...
> >> For those that care, I'm going in for another surgery, hopefully the
> >> last, at noon on Monday. For those of you that care, I'll be at
> >> Missouri

> > Baptist,
> >> 3015 N. Ballas Road, St. Louis MO 63131. The phone there is
> >> 314-996-5000. I'll be there about a week. They will NOT allow me to
> >> bring my cell

> > phone.
> >>
> >> Michael
> >>
> >> --

> > Oh no, not again!
> >
> > Are they taking anything out that we might be interested in?
> >
> > Jack Shaddup

> No, it's a reversal of that ostomy thing. I'm going back to normal.

Hi,

I missed your whole ordeal back last winter., I take it you had a colostomy
due to something like diverticulitis. Well I had the same thing in July of
03. Almost killed me, literally. Well we both made it. I had my reconnect
in January of 04. I just thought I'd tell you it is a lot easier the second
time around. You'll recover quickly. You may have a period of some pain
about a week port-op but it will pass.

Good luck,
Paul

Gregory Morrow

"Dog3 wrote:

> Deathbed statement...
>
> "Codeine . . . bourbon."
> ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d. December 12, 1968

Michael I've got a 1965 _What's My Line?_ episode (taped from the Game Show
Network) with Tallulah as the Celebrity Mystery Guest ("My new picture _Die
Die My Darling!_ will be released soon..."). If you want a copy of the tape
e-mail me at: gregorymorrowatmsndotcom....

--
Best
Greg

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Dog3
<dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote:

> "Jack Schidt®" > got ****ed off and typed
> :
> >
> > Are they taking anything out that we might be interested in?
> >
> > Jack Shaddup

> No, it's a reversal of that ostomy thing. I'm going back to normal.
>
> Michael

You sure that's not "back to going normal?" <=8-)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sam I Am updated 5/30/04.
Only 7 days until my birthday. "Shop early, shop often, shop
hahabogus

Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in
4:

> Well, I haven't been coming much lately. I've been going a lot though.

Well at least you can tell the difference...

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
Puester

"Paul M. Cook©®" wrote:

> I missed your whole ordeal back last winter., I take it you had a colostomy
> due to something like diverticulitis. Well I had the same thing in July of
> 03. Almost killed me, literally. Well we both made it. I had my reconnect
> in January of 04. I just thought I'd tell you it is a lot easier the second
> time around. You'll recover quickly. You may have a period of some pain
> about a week port-op but it will pass.

Was that a Freudian slip ("port-op") or just sloppy typing?

;-)
gloria p
limey

"Dog3" wrote in message
> For those that care, I'm going in for another surgery, hopefully the last,
> at noon on Monday. For those of you that care, I'll be at Missouri

Baptist,
> 3015 N. Ballas Road, St. Louis MO 63131. The phone there is 314-996-5000.
> I'll be there about a week. They will NOT allow me to bring my cell

phone.

> Michael

Michael, I hope someone keeps us all posted on your progress.

Dora

Paul M. Cook©®

"Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
4...
> "Paul M. Cook©®" > got ****ed off and typed
> :
>

> > "Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
> >> "Jack Schidt®" > got ****ed off and typed
> >> :

> >> No, it's a reversal of that ostomy thing. I'm going back to normal.
> >>

> > Hi,
> >
> > I missed your whole ordeal back last winter., I take it you had a
> > colostomy due to something like diverticulitis. Well I had the same
> > thing in July of 03. Almost killed me, literally. Well we both made
> > it. I had my reconnect in January of 04. I just thought I'd tell you
> > it is a lot easier the second time around. You'll recover quickly.
> > You may have a period of some pain about a week port-op but it will
> > pass.
> >
> > Good luck,
> > Paul

> I had a lot of issues. The worst was a Pheochromocytoma. It was awful,
> rare and a mess. The worst is over. I'm just anxiety ridden over the rest
> of it.

I hope to put some of your anxiety to rest. Compared to your first surgery
the second will be vastly easier. Mainly because you are in far better
health now and the incision will be about half the size of the first one.
It will take some weeks though before you regain normal bowel movements.
But you'll be back on your feet in 4 weeks or less and easily able to get
around and live a normal life while the rest of you heals up.

Paul

tinytowngoddess

"Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote
> "Jack Schidt®" > got ****ed off and typed

> > Are they taking anything out that we might be interested in?
> >
> > Jack Shaddup

> No, it's a reversal of that ostomy thing. I'm going back to normal.
>
> Michael

Michael,

FWIW, my mother had a temporary colostomy for 10 months last year while a
hole in her colon was allowed to heal. She had a fairly easy time of it with
her colostomy (I did all the changing, daily cleaning, etc, and I learned A
LOT about what people are really capable of doing for the ones they love).
Her reversal was "textbook", according to her doctor, and we agreed. She had
almost no pain, and she was incredibly relieved to be back to "normal." She
has noticed some slight differences in her functions since the reversal, but
nothing that causes her any problems.

My heart goes out to you, and I'll be thinking of you on Monday.

Regards,

Jean
Tinytowngoddess

Replace IAM with Tinytowngoddess to reply.
--
*******************
We are what we repeatedly do.

Jack Schidt®

"Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
> "Jack Schidt®" > got ****ed off and typed
> :
>

> > "Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
> > 4...
> >> For those that care, I'm going in for another surgery, hopefully the
> >> last, at noon on Monday. For those of you that care, I'll be at
> >> Missouri

> > Baptist,
> >> 3015 N. Ballas Road, St. Louis MO 63131. The phone there is
> >> 314-996-5000. I'll be there about a week. They will NOT allow me to
> >> bring my cell

> > phone.
> >>
> >> Michael
> >>
> >> --

> > Oh no, not again!
> >
> > Are they taking anything out that we might be interested in?
> >
> > Jack Shaddup

> No, it's a reversal of that ostomy thing. I'm going back to normal.
>
> Michael

'Normal' is a relative term. Good luck and we'll be drink...er, thinking of
you.

Jack Gas

Paul M. Cook©®

"Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
4...
> "Paul M. Cook©®" > got ****ed off and typed
> :
>

> > "Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
> > 4...
> >> "Paul M. Cook©®" > got ****ed off and
> >> typed :

> >> I had a lot of issues. The worst was a Pheochromocytoma. It was
> >> awful, rare and a mess. The worst is over. I'm just anxiety ridden
> >> over the rest of it.

> > I hope to put some of your anxiety to rest. Compared to your first
> > surgery the second will be vastly easier. Mainly because you are in
> > far better health now and the incision will be about half the size of
> > the first one. It will take some weeks though before you regain normal
> > bowel movements. But you'll be back on your feet in 4 weeks or less
> > and easily able to get around and live a normal life while the rest of
> > you heals up.
> >
> > Paul

> Will I be able to eat? My doctor, as always, was vague. When this is

over,
> I'm volunteering. People just don't know enough and newbies in the
> hospital are terrified. It's not that bad and I want to help.

You'll have the dreaded NG tube for 2-3 days or until your colon begins to
work again. Mine started again on day 3. After that they will have you on
a semi-liquid diet for 2 days then you can start eating normally but limited
to soft foods including chopped meats. Nothing spicy or too rich. I ate a
lot of steamed cod and mashed potatoes for dinner and pancakes and eggs for
breakfast. I was never hungry at all. About the 10th day you'll be able to
eat normally but go easy just to be safe. After the end of the second week
you can eat anything you want but your tolerance for passing stool through
your rectum will dictate to what degree you do this. It's been out of
commission for a while and it can be a bit uncomfortable for a week or two.

But overall it's nothing compared to the first operation.

Paul

Paul M. Cook©®

"Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
> "Paul M. Cook©®" > got ****ed off and typed
> :
>

> > "Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
> > 4...
> >> "Paul M. Cook©®" > got ****ed off and
> >> typed :

> >> Will I be able to eat? My doctor, as always, was vague. When this is

> > over,
> >> I'm volunteering. People just don't know enough and newbies in the
> >> hospital are terrified. It's not that bad and I want to help.

> > You'll have the dreaded NG tube for 2-3 days or until your colon
> > begins to work again. Mine started again on day 3. After that they
> > will have you on a semi-liquid diet for 2 days then you can start
> > eating normally but limited to soft foods including chopped meats.
> > Nothing spicy or too rich. I ate a lot of steamed cod and mashed
> > potatoes for dinner and pancakes and eggs for breakfast. I was never
> > hungry at all. About the 10th day you'll be able to eat normally but
> > go easy just to be safe. After the end of the second week you can eat
> > anything you want but your tolerance for passing stool through your
> > rectum will dictate to what degree you do this. It's been out of
> > commission for a while and it can be a bit uncomfortable for a week or
> > two.
> >
> > But overall it's nothing compared to the first operation.
> >
> > Paul

> Thanks. The docs have told me this already. Were you out for 6 weeks?

I could not do my normal work routine for about 4 weeks. I could get around
OK, go shopping and other light duties but I would tire easily. After week
2 you'll feel well enough to even go on short walks. You will tire fairly
quickly though so plan on sleeping a lot. I was totally off the pain
killers by week 3, didn't need very many of them really. So after about 1
week home you can expect to be over the worst of it.

Paul

Paul M. Cook©®

"kilikini" > wrote in message
> "Paul M. Cook©®" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
> > 4...
> > > "Paul M. Cook©®" > got ****ed off and

typed
> > > :

> (snip)
>

> > > Will I be able to eat? My doctor, as always, was vague. When this is

> > over,
> > > I'm volunteering. People just don't know enough and newbies in the
> > > hospital are terrified. It's not that bad and I want to help.

> > You'll have the dreaded NG tube for 2-3 days or until your colon begins

> > work again. Mine started again on day 3. After that they will have you

> on
> > a semi-liquid diet for 2 days then you can start eating normally but

> limited
> > to soft foods including chopped meats. >>>>>>>>

> Semi-liquid diet..........hmmm, does that include bloody marys?

Sure, I drank wine with my dinners. Just not so much. I was totally off
the meds by the time I got home so it was OK in moderation.

Paul

Goomba

"Paul M. Cook©®" wrote:

> I could not do my normal work routine for about 4 weeks. I could get around
> OK, go shopping and other light duties but I would tire easily. After week
> 2 you'll feel well enough to even go on short walks. You will tire fairly
> quickly though so plan on sleeping a lot. I was totally off the pain
> killers by week 3, didn't need very many of them really. So after about 1
> week home you can expect to be over the worst of it.
>
> Paul

Jeesuz Paul.. can't you take a second to trim up your quotes? What a nuisance it
is to read otherwise.
Goomba the Grouchy

Paul M. Cook©®

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> "Paul M. Cook©®" wrote:
>

> > I could not do my normal work routine for about 4 weeks. I could get

around
> > OK, go shopping and other light duties but I would tire easily. After

week
> > 2 you'll feel well enough to even go on short walks. You will tire

fairly
> > quickly though so plan on sleeping a lot. I was totally off the pain
> > killers by week 3, didn't need very many of them really. So after about

1
> > week home you can expect to be over the worst of it.
> >
> > Paul

> Jeesuz Paul.. can't you take a second to trim up your quotes? What a

nuisance it
> is to read otherwise.

In some circles, Goomba, it is bad netiquette to chop messages. Can't
please everyone.

Paul

Goomba

"Paul M. Cook©®" wrote:

> > Jeesuz Paul.. can't you take a second to trim up your quotes? What a

> nuisance it
> > is to read otherwise.

> In some circles, Goomba, it is bad netiquette to chop messages. Can't
> please everyone.
>
> Paul

No freakin' way!? In all my years I've *never* heard that complaint made. Can
you cite a source that says that? Netiquette guides often suggest it not only
for ease of reading, but in consideration that some USENET users (particularly
outside of the US) pay for their internet time by the minute and those wastes of
extra bandwidth are costing them money.
Goomba

Paul M. Cook©®

You'll have to take my word on it.

Paul

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> "Paul M. Cook©®" wrote:
>
> > > Jeesuz Paul.. can't you take a second to trim up your quotes? What a

> > nuisance it
> > > is to read otherwise.

> > In some circles, Goomba, it is bad netiquette to chop messages. Can't
> > please everyone.
> >
> > Paul

> No freakin' way!? In all my years I've *never* heard that complaint made.

Can
> you cite a source that says that? Netiquette guides often suggest it not

only
> for ease of reading, but in consideration that some USENET users

(particularly
> outside of the US) pay for their internet time by the minute and those

wastes of
> extra bandwidth are costing them money.
> Goomba

The Hacketts

"Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
4...
: For those that care, I'm going in for another surgery,
hopefully the last,
: at noon on Monday. For those of you that care, I'll be at
Missouri Baptist,
: 3015 N. Ballas Road, St. Louis MO 63131. The phone there is
314-996-5000.
: I'll be there about a week. They will NOT allow me to bring my
cell phone.
:
: Michael
: ==============

I too, hope this will be the last time you'll need to go in for
this... we'll pray for a great recovery!

--
Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

sf

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 00:35:40 GMT, "The Hacketts"
> wrote:

> "Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
> 4...
> : For those that care, I'm going in for another surgery,
> hopefully the last,
> : at noon on Monday. For those of you that care, I'll be at
> Missouri Baptist,
> : 3015 N. Ballas Road, St. Louis MO 63131. The phone there is
> 314-996-5000.
> : I'll be there about a week. They will NOT allow me to bring my
> cell phone.
> :
> : Michael
> : ==============
>
> I too, hope this will be the last time you'll need to go in for
> this... we'll pray for a great recovery!

I agree! I hope you come out a-okay!

sf

Who could take being in the hospital w/o a cell phone, but
not w/o my computer! Can't you sneak a laptop in?

Default User

"Paul M. Cook©®" wrote:

> You'll have the dreaded NG tube for 2-3 days or until your colon begins to
> work again.

About ten years ago I had abdominal surgery. I think I hated the damn NG
more than the incision.

Brian Rodenborn
Paul M. Cook©®

"Default User" > wrote in message
> "Paul M. Cook©®" wrote:
>
> > You'll have the dreaded NG tube for 2-3 days or until your colon begins

> > work again.

> About ten years ago I had abdominal surgery. I think I hated the damn NG
> more than the incision.

I hear that. I my case I was waking up from my second surgery feeling bad
enough as it was. Then a nurse noticed the lack of the NG tube and
proceeded to insert it while I was conscious. I have never experienced pain
like that in my life. That was by far the worst experience of my 6 month
long ordeal.

Paul

"Paul M. Cook©®" wrote:

> "Default User" > wrote in message
> > "Paul M. Cook©®" wrote:
> >
> > > You'll have the dreaded NG tube for 2-3 days or until your colon begins

> > > work again.

> > About ten years ago I had abdominal surgery. I think I hated the damn NG
> > more than the incision.

> I hear that. I my case I was waking up from my second surgery feeling bad
> enough as it was. Then a nurse noticed the lack of the NG tube and
> proceeded to insert it while I was conscious. I have never experienced pain
> like that in my life. That was by far the worst experience of my 6 month
> long ordeal.

Mine went in well before the surgery. A list of increasing invasive
tubes went it, IV, NG, catheter (go ahead and shudder guys).

In the end, they fixed me.

Brian Rodenborn
Orion

>> For those that care, I'm going in for another surgery, hopefully the
last, at noon on Monday. For those of you that care, I'll be at Missouri
Baptist, 3015 N. Ballas Road, St. Louis MO 63131. The phone there is
314-996-5000. I'll be there about a week. They will NOT allow me to bring
my cell phone.

Michael

Best of luck with the surgery. May you heal swiftly.

Suzan