Wayne Boatwright

Default Gift for the oral surgery patient!

A little while ago my doorbell rang. My neighbor thrusted a baking dish
toward me while saying, "hope this helps". Mmmmmm, it will!

She is English, and brought me a dish of her mum's Bread and Butter
Pudding. I coaxed her to dictate it to me as I keyed it in the recipe
software, and here 'tis. Oh, I took just a teaspoon, then two, of the
stuff and it is really delicious.

If you need a little comfort food, you must give this a try!

Wayne

* Exported from MasterCook *

Fruited Bread and Butter Pudding

Recipe By : Rebecca Smithhart
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :1:00
Categories : Desserts, Comfort Food
8 slices firm white bread with an open crumb -- day-old
2 ounces unsalted butter -- softened
1/3 cup dried cherries
brandy or water
4 each eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 cups whole milk
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
cinnamon
nutmeg

Preheat oven to 325° F. Butter an 8x8 inch Pyrex baking dish and set
aside.

Trim crusts from bread, or leave a bit on. Set aside to dry a bit.

Cover dried cherries with brandy or water and bring just to a boil.
Allow to cool, then drain and set aside.

Whisk eggs with sugar until well combined, but not frothy.

Scald milk and set aside to cool to lukewarm.

Spread butter on one side of the bread slices. Cut or tear into
irregular shapes about 1x2 inches.

arrange one layer of bread pieces in baking dish. Dust very lightly with
cinnamon and nutmeg. Scatter 1/2 the amount of cherries over bread.

Repeat with second layer of bread, spices, and cherries.

Stir egg mixture into warm milk, adding vanilla and salt.

Ladle custard mixture over bread, being careful not to disarrange the
bread pieces. (Do not pour.) If the bread has an open crumb, it will
readily absorb the liquid. Allow prepared dish to stand for 15-20
minutes, occasionally pressing lightly with a fork to insure that all
bread pieces are saturated and not floating.

Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 45-50 minutes, or until a knife
inserted in the center comes out clean. If pudding is not as brown as
desired, continue baking for another 10 minutes, then switch on broiler
and watch closely until top of pudding is golden brown.

Remove from oven to a cooling rack. Allow to cool until warm, but not
still hot. Serve plain or with pouring cream. Pudding should be stored
in the refrigerator, but should be allowed to come to room temperature
before serving.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES :
A firm bread with an open crumb will more easily absorb the
custard and result in a better texture.
Cherries may also be soaked in rum, brandy, or a mixture of
both. It's important to drain the liquid before using.
The total amount of cinnamon and nutmeg should not exceed 1/4
teaspoon combined. The flavor should be quite subtle.
The pudding will rise like a soufflé, but will fall while
cooling. More than two layers of bread will cause the pudding to rise
out of the dish and may spill over.

Jack Schidt®

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. ..
> A little while ago my doorbell rang. My neighbor thrusted a baking dish
> toward me while saying, "hope this helps". Mmmmmm, it will!

<snip terrific recipe.

Dude you are so milking this oral surgery thang......damn, you're gumming it
to death!! ;-D

Just kidding, speedy recovery and enjoy the pudding.

Jack Peridontal

PENMART01

While envisioning his English neighbor Wayne Boatwright thrust his penis into
his left fist:

>A little while ago my doorbell rang. My neighbor thrusted a baking dish
>toward me while saying, "hope this helps". Mmmmmm, it will!
>
>She is English

She'd faint if she knew... there's no such word as "thrusted" in the English
language.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Rick & Cyndi

:
: She is English, and brought me a dish of her mum's Bread and
Butter
: Pudding. I coaxed her to dictate it to me as I keyed it in the
recipe
: software, and here 'tis. Oh, I took just a teaspoon, then two,
of the
: stuff and it is really delicious.
:
: If you need a little comfort food, you must give this a try!
:
: Wayne
:
: * Exported from MasterCook *
:
: Fruited Bread and Butter Pudding
:
: Recipe By : Rebecca Smithhart
: Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :1:00
: Categories : Desserts, Comfort Food
: Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
: -------- ------------ --------------------------------
: 8 slices firm white bread with an open crumb --
day-old
: 2 ounces unsalted butter -- softened
: 1/3 cup dried cherries
: brandy or water
: 4 each eggs
: 1/2 cup granulated sugar
: 3 cups whole milk
: 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
: 1/4 teaspoon salt
: cinnamon
: nutmeg
:
:

(snipping directions...)

Sounds really good. Being that DH won't eat things with dried or
candied cherries - I think I'd put in some Craisins and dried
apricots... It's such a shame that I recently decided to knock
off the extra carbs, huh?

--
Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Rhonda Anderson

"Rick & Cyndi" > wrote in

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> . ..
>: A little while ago my doorbell rang. My neighbor thrusted a
> baking dish
>: toward me while saying, "hope this helps". Mmmmmm, it will!
>:
>: She is English, and brought me a dish of her mum's Bread and
> Butter
>: Pudding. I coaxed her to dictate it to me as I keyed it in the
> recipe
>: software, and here 'tis. Oh, I took just a teaspoon, then two,
> of the
>: stuff and it is really delicious.
>:
>: If you need a little comfort food, you must give this a try!
>:
>: Wayne
>:
>: * Exported from MasterCook *
>:
>: Fruited Bread and Butter Pudding
>:
>: Recipe By : Rebecca Smithhart
>: Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :1:00
>: Categories : Desserts, Comfort Food
>: Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>: -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>: 8 slices firm white bread with an open crumb --
> day-old
>: 2 ounces unsalted butter -- softened
>: 1/3 cup dried cherries
>: brandy or water
>: 4 each eggs
>: 1/2 cup granulated sugar
>: 3 cups whole milk
>: 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
>: 1/4 teaspoon salt
>: cinnamon
>: nutmeg
>:
>:
>
> (snipping directions...)
>
> Sounds really good. Being that DH won't eat things with dried or
> candied cherries - I think I'd put in some Craisins and dried
> apricots... It's such a shame that I recently decided to knock
> off the extra carbs, huh?

You could try sultanas (golden raisins in US) or raisins. That's the way
I've always had bread and butter pudding. At Easter I made one using
leftover hot cross buns instead of plain bread, and didn't add any extra
dried fruit - very nice. Also, a recipe I found some years back replaced
some of the milk with cream for a richer custard so I usually do that.

--
Rhonda Anderson
Penrith, NSW, Australia
Wayne Boatwright

Rhonda Anderson > wrote in
. 1:

> You could try sultanas (golden raisins in US) or raisins. That's the way
> I've always had bread and butter pudding. At Easter I made one using
> leftover hot cross buns instead of plain bread, and didn't add any extra
> dried fruit - very nice. Also, a recipe I found some years back replaced
> some of the milk with cream for a richer custard so I usually do that.

Thanks, Rhonda! I'll jot this down on the recipe for future use. B&B
puddings are not all that common in the US as they are in the UK and AU,
and I've never made one myself, but have eaten them in the UK. A good one
is really lovely!

The dried cherries were a nice twist and worth repeating. I like your idea
of using hot cross buns and will definitely try that around Easter. HCBs
in the US usually have either raisins or sultanas and some candied peel. I
always buy mine, since I haven't liked the ones I've made myself...too dry.

I think my friend must have used more butter than indicated in the recipe,
as it was quite rich and doubt that it would have needed cream. Either
addition would be that much better!

Wayne

A.T. Hagan

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 01:13:16 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> [...]

>and watch closely until top of pudding is golden brown.
>
>Remove from oven to a cooling rack. Allow to cool until warm, but not
>still hot. Serve plain or with pouring cream. Pudding should be stored
>in the refrigerator, but should be allowed to come to room temperature
>before serving.
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
>NOTES :
> A firm bread with an open crumb will more easily absorb the
>custard and result in a better texture.
> Cherries may also be soaked in rum, brandy, or a mixture of
>both. It's important to drain the liquid before using.
> The total amount of cinnamon and nutmeg should not exceed 1/4
>teaspoon combined. The flavor should be quite subtle.
> The pudding will rise like a soufflé, but will fall while
>cooling. More than two layers of bread will cause the pudding to rise

Oh, very nice, Wayne!

I was just today thinking I wanted to find a good custardy bread
pudding recipe for all of the bread bits we're accumulating in the
freezer since we got that bread machine.

Thanks much.

......Alna.

--
Curiosity killed the cat -
lack of it is killing mankind.
Wayne Boatwright

(A.T. Hagan) wrote in
:

> [...]
>>
>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>>
>>NOTES :
>> A firm bread with an open crumb will more easily absorb
>> the
>>custard and result in a better texture.
>> Cherries may also be soaked in rum, brandy, or a mixture
>> of
>>both. It's important to drain the liquid before using.
>> The total amount of cinnamon and nutmeg should not exceed
>> 1/4
>>teaspoon combined. The flavor should be quite subtle.
>> The pudding will rise like a soufflé, but will fall while
>>cooling. More than two layers of bread will cause the pudding to rise
>>out of the dish and may spill over.

> Oh, very nice, Wayne!
>
> I was just today thinking I wanted to find a good custardy bread
> pudding recipe for all of the bread bits we're accumulating in the
> freezer since we got that bread machine.

Oh good, you'll try it then! A great thing to do with your spare bits of
homemade bread. It's delicious and very custardy with a buttery taste.
Just what the doctor ordered. <G> Well, almost. Enjoy!

Wayne