Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Friday's survey on the RFC website: Garlic...

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

Vote now!

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now!

Actually the question should read dry garlic as opposed to jarred...
hardly anyone has ever tasted fresh garlic... those heads of garlic are
dried, just like bagged onions are classified by the USDA as "Dry"
onions.

Sheldon Nitpic

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy said...

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now!

THAT'S IT?? Garlic??

Isn't garlic like, umh, kinda/sorta like breathing???

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Chatty Cathy > wrote:

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now!
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Fun. :-)

I'm glad that you keep doing these...
--
Peace, Om

Remove extra . to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20 Oct 2006 06:19:12 -0700, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>Chatty Cathy wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> Vote now!

>Actually the question should read dry garlic as opposed to jarred...
>hardly anyone has ever tasted fresh garlic... those heads of garlic are
>dried, just like bagged onions are classified by the USDA as "Dry"
>onions.
>
>Sheldon Nitpic

picky picky picky! I also would have liked to know how many use
granulated garlic. I'd like to see a garlic survey that lists the
types available and we just check off all that apply to us. For
instance, I use the whole "drie" heads (I also buy the bags of peeled
garlic from the green grocer when I plan to use a lot soon) and
granulated, but not jarred or garlic juice. Is there something I've
missed?
--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote

> picky picky picky! I also would have liked to know how many use
> granulated garlic.

I was going to mention it, but I thought, poor Cathy, she
can't win with this. I do not consider granulated garlic to be
jarred garlic, even if I keep some in a jar. To me, jarred is that
minced stuff in oil that I have no use for.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> <sf> wrote
>
>> picky picky picky! I also would have liked to know how many use
>> granulated garlic.

> I was going to mention it, but I thought, poor Cathy, she
> can't win with this. I do not consider granulated garlic to be
> jarred garlic, even if I keep some in a jar. To me, jarred is that
> minced stuff in oil that I have no use for.
>
> nancy

My jarred garlic is packed in water, not oil. I only use it if I don't have
bulbs of garlic on hand and a recipe - usually soup - calls for "fresh"
(hehheh) minced garlic. I don't recall using it for anything requiring
garlic be sauteed in butter. I also have some of Penzey's granulated garlic
which I use from time to time.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-10-20, Sheldon > wrote:

> hardly anyone has ever tasted fresh garlic... those heads of garlic are
> dried, just like bagged onions are classified by the USDA as "Dry"
> onions.

Yes, but isn't this the nature of these plants? With proper handling
and storage members of the onion family stay juicy and usable long
after harvest. Being so close to Gilroy CA, I often see fresh garlic
in farmer's markets, the stalk still green from the field. Other than
being almost overwhelmingly aromatic, there's not much difference over
relatively fresh dried garlic. I will admit dry garlic can become too
old. I've seen it in some stores, the dry bulbs withered and the
garlic shrunken and sucked in from the husk. Not good. OTOH, I've
*NEVER* found a jar of garlic in any form worth a damn.

I'm extremely fortunate in that the Mex veg stand around the corner
buys bulk fresh peeled cloves and bags them up, about 2 bulbs worth
for $1.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
I will admit dry garlic can become too
> old. I've seen it in some stores, the dry bulbs withered and the
> garlic shrunken and sucked in from the husk. Not good. OTOH, I've
> *NEVER* found a jar of garlic in any form worth a damn.

I recently joined Sam's Club and saw restaurant sized jugs of peeled
whole garlic cloves for sale. How do they peel them on that scale?? I
wondered how fresh or flavorful they remain and for how long?

What can I say... I like to bang the flat blade of my knife on a clove
and peel each one as I use it. It only takes a second and I feel
virtuous, lol.
Goomba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now!

I use garlic in all forms, fresh, jarred/minced and powdered, it just
depends on what it's going in and the desired effect. As for garlic ice
cream; while the idea may not sound terribly palatable it's really
better than you'd expect. We used to have a Garlic Festival in
Arlington, WA where garlic ice cream was always served. It's really
rather good.

JD

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-10-20, Goomba38 > wrote:

> I recently joined Sam's Club and saw restaurant sized jugs of peeled
> whole garlic cloves for sale. How do they peel them on that scale?? I
> wondered how fresh or flavorful they remain and for how long?

Oh yeah! ...I've been buying the little hand bagged peeled garlic from
the Mex veg stand for so long, I forgot stores do offer this same
option sold in square plastic jugs. I'd buy the smaller ones so as
not to have the really big ones go bad before I could use them. In
either case, these are whole garlic cloves with no more processing
than removal of the dry skin. This product is nothing like the
horrible pre-chopped or minced garlic that's further processed and has
crap added for preservation.

As for longevity, I'd say it's pretty good if you can get it fresh
enough. I keep the peeled bulbs in the fridge and have had bulbs in a
sealed bag keep for up to a month with no problems. The trick is
making sure it's fresh when you buy it. You can tell old peeled
garlic cloves by the yellowish brown spots that begin to appear.
These spots are actually the garlic turning translucent and beginning
to sour. If you dare open the container, you can smell the sourness.

I still keep a dry bulb of garlic around in case of emergencies.

nb

> What can I say... I like to bang the flat blade of my knife on a clove
> and peel each one as I use it. It only takes a second and I feel
> virtuous, lol.
> Goomba

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Chatty Cathy said...
>
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> Vote now!

> THAT'S IT?? Garlic??
>
> Isn't garlic like, umh, kinda/sorta like breathing???

Hahaha! It is around here!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On 20 Oct 2006 06:19:12 -0700, "Sheldon" > wrote:
>

> >Chatty Cathy wrote:
> >> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
> >>
> >> Vote now!

> >Actually the question should read dry garlic as opposed to jarred...
> >hardly anyone has ever tasted fresh garlic... those heads of garlic are
> >dried, just like bagged onions are classified by the USDA as "Dry"
> >onions.
> >
> >Sheldon Nitpic

> picky picky picky! I also would have liked to know how many use
> granulated garlic. I'd like to see a garlic survey that lists the
> types available and we just check off all that apply to us. For
> instance, I use the whole "drie" heads (I also buy the bags of peeled
> garlic from the green grocer when I plan to use a lot soon) and
> granulated, but not jarred or garlic juice. Is there something I've
> missed?

Dehydrated garlic is available in forms other than granulated;
powdered, minced.

>From Penzeys:

Garlic
Garlic is probably the most heavily used seasoning in the world. All of
the world's great cuisines, from Chinese, to Italian, to French, make
abundant use of this pungent flavoring. The world's finest garlic is
American, grown and harvested in central California. One pound of
dehydrated garlic is made from 9 pounds of fresh garlic bulbs.
Granulated garlic powder is the most popular type of garlic, since it
is easy to sprinkle on meats, vegetables and bread, and measures easily
for recipes.

To rehydrate: Use ½ tsp. in 1 tsp. water to equal 2 fresh cloves. It
is important to rehydrate garlic for a few minutes before adding it to
tart foods like tomatoes, or to sauces that contain vinegar or lemon
juice (the acidic nature of these foods will stop the garlic flavor
from developing to its full strength). When adding dry, use ¼ tsp. for
each garlic clove needed. Sprinkle on poultry, steak, chops or fish,
use about ½ tsp. per lb. with salt and pepper to taste.

It's important to rehydrate all herbs before using... rehydrated herbs
are actually better than "fresh", unless you can verify they were
harvested like an hour ago... stupidmarket "fresh" herbs are old.

Bulb garlic from the stupidmarket is actually old, probably 2-3 months
out of the ground... tastes nothing like fresh picked... so yoose
imbeciles, and yoose know who you are, who pooh-pooh dehy garlic don't
have a clue.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now!
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

So, don't I get credit for this one?

...fred

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote

> I recently joined Sam's Club and saw restaurant sized jugs of peeled whole
> garlic cloves for sale. How do they peel them on that scale?? I wondered
> how fresh or flavorful they remain and for how long?

My thoughts exactly. Never bought that for just those reasons.

> What can I say... I like to bang the flat blade of my knife on a clove and
> peel each one as I use it. It only takes a second and I feel virtuous,
> lol.

Heh. I don't feel virtuous (wouldn't that be a joke! laugh), but I
like to peel my own garlic. I never got why it was such a big deal.
Just me.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote on 20 Oct 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> "Goomba38" > wrote
>
> > I recently joined Sam's Club and saw restaurant sized jugs of peeled
> > whole garlic cloves for sale. How do they peel them on that scale??
> > I wondered how fresh or flavorful they remain and for how long?

> My thoughts exactly. Never bought that for just those reasons.
>
> > What can I say... I like to bang the flat blade of my knife on a
> > clove and peel each one as I use it. It only takes a second and I
> > feel virtuous, lol.

> Heh. I don't feel virtuous (wouldn't that be a joke! laugh), but I
> like to peel my own garlic. I never got why it was such a big deal.
> Just me.
>
> nancy

I've even got one of those garlic peeling tubes...never use it...Seems I
like the skins sticking to my fingers when I bash a clove too hard and
release the sugary juices.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 14:38:13 +0200, Chatty Cathy
> wrote:

>http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
>Vote now!

Where's the granulated garlic option? I use all three kinds. ( feel
obligated to give you a rough time)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 14:38:13 +0200, Chatty Cathy
> > wrote:
>
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> Vote now!

> Where's the granulated garlic option? I use all three kinds. ( feel
> obligated to give you a rough time)

I know, I know To be honest, the stuff that passes for granulated
garlic over here is so awful that I didn't think to mention it.
Obviously the type you can get is fine. I use 'fresh' <Cathy waves to
Sheldon> whenever possible and only when desperate, I use that minced
stuff in a jar...

<ducking and hiding behind DH>

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

JD wrote:

> As for garlic ice
> cream; while the idea may not sound terribly palatable it's really
> better than you'd expect. We used to have a Garlic Festival in
> Arlington, WA where garlic ice cream was always served. It's really
> rather good.

I have heard about it and always wanted to try it, but never have. Now I
must!

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kuvasz guy wrote:
> Chatty Cathy wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> Vote now!
>>
>> --
>> Cheers
>> Chatty Cathy

> So, don't I get credit for this one?

Not unless your name is Cathy LOL.

On second thoughts, maybe I should have... <Cathy passes her flak jacket
to fred>

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Chatty Cathy said...
>
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> Vote now!

> THAT'S IT?? Garlic??
>
> Isn't garlic like, umh, kinda/sorta like breathing???

Of course it is!! I often feel sorry for 'other people' when I am out in
public

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Chatty Cathy > wrote:
>
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> Vote now!
>>
>> --
>> Cheers
>> Chatty Cathy

> Fun. :-)
>
> I'm glad that you keep doing these...

But some more 'ideas' would be welcome <hint, hint>. My 'list' is almost
depleted

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy said...

> Andy wrote:
>> Chatty Cathy said...
>>
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>>
>>> Vote now!

>> THAT'S IT?? Garlic??
>>
>> Isn't garlic like, umh, kinda/sorta like breathing???
>>

> Of course it is!! I often feel sorry for 'other people' when I am out

in
> public

Heh heh heh!!!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Chatty Cathy > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Chatty Cathy > wrote:
> >
> >> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
> >>
> >> Vote now!
> >>
> >> --
> >> Cheers
> >> Chatty Cathy

> > Fun. :-)
> >
> > I'm glad that you keep doing these...

> But some more 'ideas' would be welcome <hint, hint>. My 'list' is almost
> depleted

Let me catch up on sleep... (on vacation for 2 weeks starting tomorrow
morning).

I'd be delighted to send a few suggestions by private mail. ;-)

Cheers!
--
Peace, Om

Remove extra . to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> Let me catch up on sleep... (on vacation for 2 weeks starting tomorrow
> morning).
>
> I'd be delighted to send a few suggestions by private mail. ;-)

Thanks
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 21:10:33 +0200, Chatty Cathy
> wrote:

>But some more 'ideas' would be welcome <hint, hint>. My 'list' is almost
>depleted

I'd spread them out a little, myself.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 21:10:33 +0200, Chatty Cathy
> > wrote:
>
>> But some more 'ideas' would be welcome <hint, hint>. My 'list' is almost
>> depleted

> I'd spread them out a little, myself.

I tried that, but someone (who will remain nameless) Ping-ed me earlier
this week and gave me grief about WANTING to vote LOL. He got his wish
(I hope).

Anyway, tell ya what - I'll do a survey tomorrow (or the next day) along
the lines of: How often do *you* think should this topic be changed?
This is a democracy, after all...

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy - who feels like eating escargone...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy said...

> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>> On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 21:10:33 +0200, Chatty Cathy
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> But some more 'ideas' would be welcome <hint, hint>. My 'list' is
>>> almost depleted

>> I'd spread them out a little, myself.

> I tried that, but someone (who will remain nameless) Ping-ed me
> earlier this week and gave me grief about WANTING to vote LOL. He got
> his wish (I hope).

THE NERVE OF SOME FOLK!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Chatty Cathy said...
>
>> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>>> On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 21:10:33 +0200, Chatty Cathy

>>> I'd spread them out a little, myself.

>> I tried that, but someone (who will remain nameless) Ping-ed me
>> earlier this week and gave me grief about WANTING to vote LOL. He got
>> his wish (I hope).

> THE NERVE OF SOME FOLK!!!

Yup!

THE BUMS!!!

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy said...

> Andy wrote:
>> Chatty Cathy said...

>>> I tried that, but someone (who will remain nameless) Ping-ed me
>>> earlier this week and gave me grief about WANTING to vote LOL. He got
>>> his wish (I hope).

>> THE NERVE OF SOME FOLK!!!
>>

> Yup!
>
> THE BUMS!!!

Touché! LOL!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> kuvasz guy wrote:
> > Chatty Cathy wrote:
> >> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
> >>
> >> Vote now!
> >>
> >> --
> >> Cheers
> >> Chatty Cathy

> > So, don't I get credit for this one?

> Not unless your name is Cathy LOL.
>
> On second thoughts, maybe I should have... <Cathy passes her flak jacket
> to fred>

Nah, no flak jacket required -- A man's gotta stand up for his
principles... I'm ok with being a lonely voice in the wilderness...

...fred

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 21:10:33 +0200, Chatty Cathy
> > wrote:
>
> >But some more 'ideas' would be welcome <hint, hint>. My 'list' is almost
> >depleted

> I'd spread them out a little, myself.

I kinda agree...

...fred

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20 Oct 2006 16:06:11 -0700, "kuvasz guy" > wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>> On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 21:10:33 +0200, Chatty Cathy
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >But some more 'ideas' would be welcome <hint, hint>. My 'list' is almost
>> >depleted

>> I'd spread them out a little, myself.

>I kinda agree...
>
>..fred

I agree also. How about just one a week? Or even every 2 weeks,
unless of course tons of ideas just start pouring in......

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 18:00:01 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On 20 Oct 2006 16:06:11 -0700, "kuvasz guy" > wrote:
>
>>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>>> On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 21:10:33 +0200, Chatty Cathy

>>> I'd spread them out a little, myself.

>>I kinda agree...
>>
>>..fred

>I agree also. How about just one a week? Or even every 2 weeks,
>unless of course tons of ideas just start pouring in......

Maybe until a minimum number of responses have rolled in? 100? 150?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> I still keep a dry bulb of garlic around in case of emergencies.

In history garlic has been used both as an aphrodisiac and as a
contraceptive )

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 10:48:14 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>To me, jarred is that minced stuff in oil that I have no use for.

Me too.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 19:30:53 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 18:00:01 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>>>I kinda agree...
>>>
>>>..fred

>>I agree also. How about just one a week? Or even every 2 weeks,
>>unless of course tons of ideas just start pouring in......

>Maybe until a minimum number of responses have rolled in? 100? 150?

Two a week sounds fair to me... a midweek survey and one for the
weekend... having them every day is interesting, but if you don't even
READ rfc daily you miss out on most of them!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 12:36:36 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>Heh. I don't feel virtuous (wouldn't that be a joke! laugh), but I
>like to peel my own garlic. I never got why it was such a big deal.
>Just me.

My kids actually introduced me to the peeled variety in a bag. They
cook very well, but neither one likes preparing garlic.
--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 23:51:17 -0400, Karen AKA Kajikit
> wrote:

>Two a week sounds fair to me... a midweek survey and one for the
>weekend... having them every day is interesting, but if you don't even
>READ rfc daily you miss out on most of them!

I think one a week is fine. I read rfc almost daily, but I still miss
many of the surveys.
--
See return address to reply by email