Old 12-11-2013, 02:00 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Vegetable/fruit ideas?

Frankly I am about ready to kick him to the curb over this but... Husband
is wanting fruit and vegetables and not the food I have been serving him,
which has been a wide variety of things. But... Always with a salad to
start, which he does not eat. Complaints range from not enough dressing to
too much dressing to that he wants real food and not that. *sigh* Of
course I have tried dressing on the side and changing dressings. He is no
help as to what dressing he will eat. I just try to give what he orders in
a restaurant.

I stopped buying fruit aside from what Angela and I eat because he just
wasn't eating it! We have a banana tree and I just threw out a bowl of
little apples and oranges. He said he didn't see them. Nor did he see the
grapes in the fridge. Or the pears. This after I had quit buying and he
insisted that he needed fruit.

I have thrown out countless kinds of raw veggies that Angela and I won't eat
or have tried to work them into a stir fry when they were a bit past their
prime, only to have him not eat them.

I have cut up raw veggies, bought hummus and other dips for him. He
complained that the dips had too much fat so I bought "light" or "lite" dip.
We always have bean dip in the house. All go uneaten. So do the pricey
little packages of cut up veggies and fruit with cheese cubes or a dip.
*sigh*

Any cooked foods that I leave in the fridge for him to eat, go uneaten
unless perhaps I am here to heat them up, but again he will usually
complain. He likes to eat what he calls "pops", frozen strawberry fruit
bars with HFCS in them, chips, cookies, muffins, sandwiches, etc. Seems no
matter what I serve him, this is what he resorts to. And if I don't have
these things in the house, he complains that I don't have them.

I rather feel like I am in a no win situation. But is there something I am
missing here? Angela and I have no problems getting our own food and much
of the time we do eat raw veggies. I have been on a bean tostada kick and
those things are super easy to make. I just microwave them. No cooking
involved. But he even complains about those because it isn't enough food
for him.

So is there something I am missing here? Is there some sort of food in the
fruit/veg category that I could just leave in the fridge for him? And that
he could serve himself? I have even tried the prepared fruit/veg trays.
The problem with those is that he either won't touch them or won't eat some
of the food they contain. Like tomatoes or blueberries. Sometimes he will
eat the cut up melon things. Sometimes not. But they have to come that
way. If I cut them up, he won't touch them. Also seems incapable of
heating up something that I have prepared. Like soup or a stir fry. *sigh*

There is probably no answer for this but I thought I would try. Thanks!

Old 12-11-2013, 02:23 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie,

Please let us know. Are you just complaining to get it off your chest or
are you asking for advice? Your post is not clear on that so we don't
knwo if we should just shut up and listen or should offer you some
suggestions if we have them.

Wendy

Old 12-11-2013, 04:45 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Julie,

Please let us know. Are you just complaining to get it off your chest or
are you asking for advice? Your post is not clear on that so we don't
knwo if we should just shut up and listen or should offer you some
suggestions if we have them.

I thought it was pretty clear. Yes, I am complaining. I did ask for
suggestions but I have a feeling there is no answer to this. He won't eat
hummus, any dips, raw veggies, salad, stir fries... I did buy 5 different
prepared salads of fruit, nuts and meats, also fruit like Waldorf and a
vegetable slaw. Also a prepared chef's salad.

Not really sure what else there is. Angela and I mainly eat either canned
green beans, other beans or raw veggies. He said he won't eat beans either.
Would not touch the bean relish that I made.

We are not fruit lovers so I don't want to buy fruit to have to throw it
out. I did buy two cups of watermelon. He did just eat one. And I bought
cottage cheese with pineapple.

I think it might all boil down to him being as my FIL used to put it,
"difficult". Perhaps if someone could just agree with me on that, it would
help. Because he is making me feel like *I* am doing something wrong by not
giving him the right food. But... If he can't tell me what the right food
is, specifically, then I am always wrong. Right? I think...

Old 12-11-2013, 05:33 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

"W. Baker" wrote in message
[...]

Stop trying to read his mind! Let him go grocery shopping himself.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet
Old 12-11-2013, 05:45 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alice Faber" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote:

"W. Baker" wrote in message
[...]

That would be my suggestion. Not only would I *let* him shop for himself, I
would insist on it. Within a few days of his being "difficult" he would also
be cooking for himself. There's always a can of Dinty Moore Beef Stew in the
pantry if mine wanted to act like that. LOL

Cheri

Old 12-11-2013, 07:15 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote:

"W. Baker" wrote in message
[...]

He won't and currently can't. He is at the moment more disabled than me but
won't get into that here.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:16 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote:

"W. Baker" wrote in message
[...]

But he can't right now. And I won't get into that here.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:46 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:

: "W. Baker" wrote in message
: ...
: Julie,
:
[...]

I would agree with you about his beign "difficult" about his food.
Unfortunately, I don't have any good suggestions for you, unless you just
tell him to buy and cook his own food, which, I fear, might lead to an
explosion.

Wendy
Old 12-11-2013, 03:33 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote:

"W. Baker" wrote in message
[...]

Well then, that's a different story.

Cheri

Old 12-11-2013, 06:34 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote:

"W. Baker" wrote in message
[...]

Can you give him pen and paper and have him write suggested veggies
and fruit and work off of his list? Then if he complains tell him to
be quiet. At that point if he still complains you know he is either
just a cranky old man (yes, younger ones can be that ;-) or just
being difficult to annoy you.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:30 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

: "W. Baker" wrote in message
: ...
: Julie,
:
[...]

Although he would not do that, he simply could not at the moment, being even
more disabled than me.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:33 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote:

"W. Baker" wrote in message
[...]

I have tried that and I do tell him to shut up all the time. I do know he
is suffering right now but there is nothing I can do about that. I have
tried to buy/feed him only the foods that are purported not to make his
medical condition worse and perhaps even make it better but he does not want
those foods. Alas his favorite foods only aggravate the condition and
won't be a party to that.

Old 13-11-2013, 12:06 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 14:33:45 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

.. .

"Julie Bove" wrote:

"W. Baker" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry. I don't know what to say then. It sounds like no matter what
you do he will be unhappy. Just do the best you can and try not to
take it personal.
Old 13-11-2013, 01:58 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Karen" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 14:33:45 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

. ..

"Julie Bove" wrote:

"W. Baker" wrote in message
[...]

That is what I am thinking. But I just wondered if there was something I
was missing. I don't like fruit at all and I tend to eat the same
vegetables most of the time.

Old 13-11-2013, 09:33 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 11/11/2013 6:00 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

Maybe the man just needs a new cook.