Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default Vegetable/fruit ideas?

Julie,

Please let us know. Are you just complaining to get it off your chest or
are you asking for advice? Your post is not clear on that so we don't
knwo if we should just shut up and listen or should offer you some
suggestions if we have them.

Wendy

Julie Bove > wrote:
: Frankly I am about ready to kick him to the curb over this but... Husband
: is wanting fruit and vegetables and not the food I have been serving him,
: which has been a wide variety of things. But... Always with a salad to
: start, which he does not eat. Complaints range from not enough dressing to
: too much dressing to that he wants real food and not that. *sigh* Of
: course I have tried dressing on the side and changing dressings. He is no
: help as to what dressing he will eat. I just try to give what he orders in
: a restaurant.

: I stopped buying fruit aside from what Angela and I eat because he just
: wasn't eating it! We have a banana tree and I just threw out a bowl of
: little apples and oranges. He said he didn't see them. Nor did he see the
: grapes in the fridge. Or the pears. This after I had quit buying and he
: insisted that he needed fruit.

: I have thrown out countless kinds of raw veggies that Angela and I won't eat
: or have tried to work them into a stir fry when they were a bit past their
: prime, only to have him not eat them.

: I have cut up raw veggies, bought hummus and other dips for him. He
: complained that the dips had too much fat so I bought "light" or "lite" dip.
: We always have bean dip in the house. All go uneaten. So do the pricey
: little packages of cut up veggies and fruit with cheese cubes or a dip.
: *sigh*

: Any cooked foods that I leave in the fridge for him to eat, go uneaten
: unless perhaps I am here to heat them up, but again he will usually
: complain. He likes to eat what he calls "pops", frozen strawberry fruit
: bars with HFCS in them, chips, cookies, muffins, sandwiches, etc. Seems no
: matter what I serve him, this is what he resorts to. And if I don't have
: these things in the house, he complains that I don't have them.

: I rather feel like I am in a no win situation. But is there something I am
: missing here? Angela and I have no problems getting our own food and much
: of the time we do eat raw veggies. I have been on a bean tostada kick and
: those things are super easy to make. I just microwave them. No cooking
: involved. But he even complains about those because it isn't enough food
: for him.

: So is there something I am missing here? Is there some sort of food in the
: fruit/veg category that I could just leave in the fridge for him? And that
: he could serve himself? I have even tried the prepared fruit/veg trays.
: The problem with those is that he either won't touch them or won't eat some
: of the food they contain. Like tomatoes or blueberries. Sometimes he will
: eat the cut up melon things. Sometimes not. But they have to come that
: way. If I cut them up, he won't touch them. Also seems incapable of
: heating up something that I have prepared. Like soup or a stir fry. *sigh*

: There is probably no answer for this but I thought I would try. Thanks!