Old 19-12-2011, 03:23 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Favorite things to do with onions?

On 12/10/2011 2:56 AM, Tiger Lily wrote:
On 12/8/2011 8:48 PM, Jacquie wrote:

"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
On 12/7/2011 3:01 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
I love onions. I put them in nearly everything. My favorite are the
white
onions but currently I have yellow ones because they were cheap.

What do you like to do with onions?

- Greek Salad

- Marinated with tomatoes as a spin on greek salad

- onions, garlic, mushrooms and lastly tomatoes with sweet basil stir
fried

- green onions, bacon into scrambled eggs

- vidalia onion & mustard salad dressing (yum)

- trying to think of a meal that onions don't go with..... raw in
hamburgers, cooked into spaghet sauces, curry, meatloaf, shepherds
pie, chicken pot pie, mongolian hot pot.....sliced and put into a
casserole with mushroom soup over pork chops... as a side to steak, yum

Sometimes when I am out of lettuce and we are having Italian, I will
slice onions and tomatoes and marinate in a nice Italian dressing. Nope
there is not much I cook without some kind of onion.
When I make baked or fried cheese I sometimes add sliced green onions.
Or I will make a cheese crisp with a low carb tortilla, and add green
onion to it. I will brown chicken for fajitas and slice onions and
caramelize them slightly , then mix then together and add cheese and
make quesadillas with that mixture, serve it with sour cream and lettuce
tomato and salsa.
Do you have a recipe for the mustard and Vidalia dressing?

unfortunately, i'm desperately looking for the Vidalia/Mustard recipe

the farm that the onions first came from has a brand name (now forgotten
or name lost) and they sold their salad dressing via Costco............
we stocked up, but everyone LOVED the dressing and we gave them a fresh
bottle

now, Costco doesn't have them

they are E coast USA based

kate

You might check if one of these gives the recipe you want:

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/ho...lia_sauce.html

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/vida...0000001173730/

http://www.yummly.com/recipes/vidali...stard-dressing

http://www.yummly.com/recipes/vidali...-honey-mustard

http://mcclainsgourmet.com/recipes/h...en-salad-.html

Note, however, that these recipes tend to have honey or sugar near
the start of the list of ingredients.

Robert Miles

Old 19-12-2011, 06:42 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" wrote in message
On 12/7/2011 5:45 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
wrote in message

"Julie wrote in message
I love onions. I put them in nearly everything. My favorite are the
white onions but currently I have yellow ones because they were cheap.

What do you like to do with onions?

Red onions in salads for me. White or brown in cooked stuff. I use
onions
pretty much every day. Lunch& dinner salads plus in every savoury dish
make. Sometimes have them fried with steak especially if bbq'ing. I also
make onion gravy (brown gravy with lightly fried onions). Nice with
sausages. I roast them whole with roast meats.

Thanks! I try to put red onions in salads but they are often
overwhelming.
The best salads I ever had were in Half Moon Bay CA and thereabouts. Two
restaurants there used very thinly sliced onions. I don't know if they
soaked them in cold water or what but they came out tasting sweet and not
hot.

I've read of a type of onions called Vidalia onions. White, but with
much less of the hot flavor than most other white onions.

I'm pretty sure they're yellow, not white. And I don't find white onions to
be hot at all. Just the red ones.

Old 20-12-2011, 03:35 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
[...]

ty Robert

while sugar is a main component of this dressing, it pours thing enough
(versus 1,000 Island for example) that a 1/2 tablespoon goes a LONG way
to dressing a large bowl of salad, and the dressing has lots of flavour
as well, again, don't need lots of it

it's a nice change to the various balsamic or sun dried tomato type
dressings that we also enjoy

i'm still trying to find the garlic/bacon ranch dressing we stumbled
upon to 'try out' and it is amazing on spinach/pickled beet/shredded
carrot/whatever i feel like salad

kate

Old 20-12-2011, 06:42 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
[...]

while sugar is a main component of this dressing, it pours thin*** enough
(versus 1,000 Island for example) that a 1/2 tablespoon goes a LONG way
to dressing a large bowl of salad, and the dressing has lots of flavour
as well, again, don't need lots of it

it's a nice change to the various balsamic or sun dried tomato type
dressings that we also enjoy

i'm still trying to find the garlic/bacon ranch dressing we stumbled
upon to 'try out' and it is amazing on spinach/pickled beet/shredded
carrot/whatever i feel like salad

kate

*** typo correction
Old 20-12-2011, 07:06 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
i honestly don't remember their color, just the taste lol, Lee

The picture here shows yellow. I have bought them, but here we have the
Walla Walla which IMO is one of the best sweet onions. So if I want a sweet
onion that's what I usually buy.

Old 20-12-2011, 07:48 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
i never met an onion i didn't like, hotness only adjusts amount, thanks for
reminding me about the color, Lee

I only have trouble with the red ones sometimes. But mostly I just love
onions!

Old 21-12-2011, 04:37 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/20/2011 12:06 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
wrote in message
i honestly don't remember their color, just the taste lol, Lee

The picture here shows yellow. I have bought them, but here we have the
Walla Walla which IMO is one of the best sweet onions. So if I want a sweet
onion that's what I usually buy.

the Walla Walla grow very nicely in Victoria as well

must be a soil/rain combination........... mom & dad have brought 'well
underway' Walla Walla's out to Calgary.............. they turn to a
different onion flavour and don't grow near as big as the monster's that
grow in Victoria

Dad (when he was alive) was very competitive with a family friend Gary,
and they typically alternated years when whom won over the other........
the initial sharing of secrets became "secrets" again as they refined
the process and lost to the other by 1/4 inch less circumference or one
being 1/2 ounce heavier than the other

LOL

kate