Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Favorite things to make with onions?

I love onions. I eat them pretty much every day in some form or another.
Usually in things. Am currently eating the last bit of a red onion in a
bean taco and it's biting me but I love it. Probably shouldn't have
combined it with the zesty salsa beans.

I have never tried making onion rings but I did eat them a few times, years
ago. They were good...provided that they were in fact the good ones. And
by good ones I mean whole onion rings. Not the chopped up onions preformed
into doughy rings that a few places serve.

I made creamed onions once. Didn't care for those because I think they were
creamed and I never actually liked cream.

I love them raw, cooked and especially caramelized. One of my favorite
foods is caramelized onion in mashed potatoes. I put tons of onions in
there.

What is your favorite thing to do with onions?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I love onions. I eat them pretty much every day in some form or another.
>Usually in things. Am currently eating the last bit of a red onion in a
>bean taco and it's biting me but I love it. Probably shouldn't have
>combined it with the zesty salsa beans.
>
> I have never tried making onion rings but I did eat them a few times,
> years ago. They were good...provided that they were in fact the good
> ones. And by good ones I mean whole onion rings. Not the chopped up
> onions preformed into doughy rings that a few places serve.
>
> I made creamed onions once. Didn't care for those because I think they
> were creamed and I never actually liked cream.
>
> I love them raw, cooked and especially caramelized. One of my favorite
> foods is caramelized onion in mashed potatoes. I put tons of onions in
> there.
>
> What is your favorite thing to do with onions?

I like the Walla Walla sweets baked whole, with butter. I do like onions
just about every way though.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 1 Sep 2013 22:15:14 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>What is your favorite thing to do with onions?

Caramelize them with mushrooms and put them on top of a good steak.

Use them with other beef dishes too, and a topping on pizza.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>I love onions. I eat them pretty much every day in some form or another.
>>Usually in things. Am currently eating the last bit of a red onion in a
>>bean taco and it's biting me but I love it. Probably shouldn't have
>>combined it with the zesty salsa beans.
>>
>> I have never tried making onion rings but I did eat them a few times,
>> years ago. They were good...provided that they were in fact the good
>> ones. And by good ones I mean whole onion rings. Not the chopped up
>> onions preformed into doughy rings that a few places serve.
>>
>> I made creamed onions once. Didn't care for those because I think they
>> were creamed and I never actually liked cream.
>>
>> I love them raw, cooked and especially caramelized. One of my favorite
>> foods is caramelized onion in mashed potatoes. I put tons of onions in
>> there.
>>
>> What is your favorite thing to do with onions?

> I like the Walla Walla sweets baked whole, with butter. I do like onions
> just about every way though.

Have not tried them baked whole. Will try that. Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 1 Sep 2013 22:15:14 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>What is your favorite thing to do with onions?

> Caramelize them with mushrooms and put them on top of a good steak.
>
> Use them with other beef dishes too, and a topping on pizza.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Sep 2013 22:15:14 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> >What is your favorite thing to do with onions?

> Caramelize them with mushrooms and put them on top of a good steak.

I *always* do that with steak! Even if I don't have mushrooms on
hand, I'll do the onions.

In Julie's case, she could put them on hamburger patties that she will
eat occasionally...still a very good enhancement.

I also always put them on pizzas....either homemade ones or enhanced
store-bought frozen ones. Good in omlets too.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 1 Sep 2013 22:15:14 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I love onions. I eat them pretty much every day in some form or another.
>Usually in things. Am currently eating the last bit of a red onion in a
>bean taco and it's biting me but I love it. Probably shouldn't have
>combined it with the zesty salsa beans.
>
>I have never tried making onion rings but I did eat them a few times, years
>ago. They were good...provided that they were in fact the good ones. And
>by good ones I mean whole onion rings. Not the chopped up onions preformed
>into doughy rings that a few places serve.
>
>I made creamed onions once. Didn't care for those because I think they were
>creamed and I never actually liked cream.
>
>I love them raw, cooked and especially caramelized. One of my favorite
>foods is caramelized onion in mashed potatoes. I put tons of onions in
>there.
>
>What is your favorite thing to do with onions?

Naturally on a burger.
Smothered liver. Also love raw onions on a liverwurst sandwich.
Fried onions n' eggs.
Herring in cream sauce with onions.
The best:
http://shop.russanddaughters.com/sto...ream%26Onions/
If you're feeling flush:
http://shop.russanddaughters.com/sto...AM-%26-ONIONS/
Sixty+ years ago Appy was considered Po' Folk food.
There are dozens more ways I enjoy onions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" > wrote in message
t...
> In article >, says...
>>
>> I love onions. I eat them pretty much every day in some form or another.
>> Usually in things. Am currently eating the last bit of a red onion in a
>> bean taco and it's biting me but I love it. Probably shouldn't have
>> combined it with the zesty salsa beans.
>>
>> I have never tried making onion rings but I did eat them a few times,
>> years
>> ago. They were good...provided that they were in fact the good ones.
>> And
>> by good ones I mean whole onion rings. Not the chopped up onions
>> preformed
>> into doughy rings that a few places serve.
>>
>> I made creamed onions once. Didn't care for those because I think they
>> were
>> creamed and I never actually liked cream.
>>
>> I love them raw, cooked and especially caramelized. One of my favorite
>> foods is caramelized onion in mashed potatoes. I put tons of onions in
>> there.
>>
>> What is your favorite thing to do with onions?

> Of course, you're going to reject every suggestion with why you (or
> your parents, siblings husband, daughter) would/could never make/eat
> that.
>
> I love french onion soup; and boiled onions baked in a cheesy sauce
> with a brown (crumbs) topping.
>
> Janet.

" I made creamed onions once. Didn't care for those because I think they
were
creamed and I never actually liked cream."

'nuff said!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/2/2013 1:46 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Sep 2013 22:15:14 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> What is your favorite thing to do with onions?

I don't have one.

> Caramelize them with mushrooms and put them on top of a good steak.
>
> Use them with other beef dishes too, and a topping on pizza.

Years ago someone posted this:

German Onion Pie

4 thick slices of bacon, diced (I used german smoked or 'double smoked
bacon' as they call it)
2 cups peeled and chopped yellow onion (I used half yellow and half red
onion)
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup sour cream
1 tblsp flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 9-inch pie shell, unbaked

Preheat oven to 400 degrees f

Saute bacon. Drain most of the fat from the pan. Add the onions and
saute until clear. Do not brown. Set aside to cool.

Beat the eggs and sour cream together in a medium-sized bowl. Sprinkle
the flour over the top and beat it in. Stir in the salt and pepper.

Prick the bottom of the pie shell several times with a fork. Spread the
onions and bacon over the bottom of the pie shell. Pour the sour cream
mixture over the top.

Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees f and bake for another
15 minutes or until pie is nicely browned. Serve hot!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 2, 2013 8:06:20 AM UTC-5, Pico Rico wrote:
> "Janet" > wrote in message
>
> t...
>
> > In article >, says...

> >> I love onions. I eat them pretty much every day in some form or another.

> >> Usually in things. Am currently eating the last bit of a red onion in a

> >> bean taco and it's biting me but I love it. Probably shouldn't have

> >> combined it with the zesty salsa beans.

> >> I have never tried making onion rings but I did eat them a few times,

> >> years

> >> ago. They were good...provided that they were in fact the good ones.

> >> And

> >> by good ones I mean whole onion rings. Not the chopped up onions

> >> preformed

> >> into doughy rings that a few places serve.

> >> I made creamed onions once. Didn't care for those because I think they

> >> were

> >> creamed and I never actually liked cream.

> >> I love them raw, cooked and especially caramelized. One of my favorite

> >> foods is caramelized onion in mashed potatoes. I put tons of onions in

> >> there.

> >> What is your favorite thing to do with onions?

> > Of course, you're going to reject every suggestion with why you (or

> > your parents, siblings husband, daughter) would/could never make/eat

> > that.

> > I love french onion soup; and boiled onions baked in a cheesy sauce

> > with a brown (crumbs) topping.

> > Janet.

> " I made creamed onions once. Didn't care for those because I think they
>
> were creamed and I never actually liked cream."
>

> 'nuff said!

Sometimes, when she writes stuff that is that over-the-top stupid, it makes
me think she's just a fictional character, somebody's hobby. Then I think
of Jerry Springer, and remember that there are a lot of folks out there
who are even more defective than Julie and her family.

--Bryan O|O
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan-TGWWW" > wrote in message

>> " I made creamed onions once. Didn't care for those because I think they
>>
>> were creamed and I never actually liked cream."
>>

>> 'nuff said!

> Sometimes, when she writes stuff that is that over-the-top stupid, it
> makes
> me think she's just a fictional character, somebody's hobby. Then I think
> of Jerry Springer, and remember that there are a lot of folks out there
> who are even more defective than Julie and her family.
>
> --Bryan O|O

Bingo!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

bwrrryan@gmail wrote:

>On Monday, September 2, 2013 8:06:20 AM UTC-5, Pico Rico wrote:
>> "Janet" > wrote in message
>>
>> t...
>>
>> > In article >, says...

>> > Of course, you're going to reject every suggestion with why you (or

>> > your parents, siblings husband, daughter) would/could never make/eat

>> > that.

>> > I love french onion soup; and boiled onions baked in a cheesy sauce

>> > with a brown (crumbs) topping.

>> > Janet.

>> " I made creamed onions once. Didn't care for those because I think they
>>
>> were creamed and I never actually liked cream."
>>

>> 'nuff said!

>Sometimes, when she writes stuff that is that over-the-top stupid, it makes
>me think she's just a fictional character, somebody's hobby. Then I think
>of Jerry Springer, and remember that there are a lot of folks out there
>who are even more defective than Julie and her family.
>
>--Bwrrryan O|O

Compared to Freako Bwrrryan Julie is completely normal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 2, 2013 9:06:01 AM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Compared to Freako Bwrrryan Julie is completely normal.

Sheldon so badly wishes that I was ***. Sorry Sheldon.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> bwrrryan@gmail wrote:
>
>>On Monday, September 2, 2013 8:06:20 AM UTC-5, Pico Rico wrote:
>>> "Janet" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> t...

>>> " I made creamed onions once. Didn't care for those because I think
>>> they
>>>
>>> were creamed and I never actually liked cream."
>>>

>>> 'nuff said!

>>Sometimes, when she writes stuff that is that over-the-top stupid, it
>>makes
>>me think she's just a fictional character, somebody's hobby. Then I think
>>of Jerry Springer, and remember that there are a lot of folks out there
>>who are even more defective than Julie and her family.
>>
>>--Bwrrryan O|O

> Compared to Freako Bwrrryan Julie is completely normal.

Exactly)

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>>I love onions. I eat them pretty much every day in some form or another.
>>>Usually in things. Am currently eating the last bit of a red onion in a
>>>bean taco and it's biting me but I love it. Probably shouldn't have
>>>combined it with the zesty salsa beans.
>>>
>>> I have never tried making onion rings but I did eat them a few times,
>>> years ago. They were good...provided that they were in fact the good
>>> ones. And by good ones I mean whole onion rings. Not the chopped up
>>> onions preformed into doughy rings that a few places serve.
>>>
>>> I made creamed onions once. Didn't care for those because I think they
>>> were creamed and I never actually liked cream.
>>>
>>> I love them raw, cooked and especially caramelized. One of my favorite
>>> foods is caramelized onion in mashed potatoes. I put tons of onions in
>>> there.
>>>
>>> What is your favorite thing to do with onions?

>> I like the Walla Walla sweets baked whole, with butter. I do like onions
>> just about every way though.

> Have not tried them baked whole. Will try that. Thanks!

I don't know if you like beef bouillon flavor, but if you core out a bit of
the middle (not all the way through the onion and add a beef bouillon cube
and butter to fill up the core, then wrap in foil and bake, it's really
good. Like onion soup flavor.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/2/13 1:15 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> What is your favorite thing to do with onions?

An Alsatian onion tart. Superb!

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On 9/2/13 1:15 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> What is your favorite thing to do with onions?

> An Alsatian onion tart. Superb!

Well don't stop there ... ?

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 1, 2013 10:15:14 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:

> I love them raw, cooked and especially caramelized. One of my favorite
> foods is caramelized onion in mashed potatoes. I put tons of onions in
> there.
>

> What is your favorite thing to do with onions?

A recipe we like that uses tons of onions is a curry called chicken dopeeazah.
This recipe seems about right:

http://indianfood.about.com/od/chick...en-Dopiaza.htm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/1/2013 11:15 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I love onions. I eat them pretty much every day in some form or
> another. Usually in things. Am currently eating the last bit of a red
> onion in a bean taco and it's biting me but I love it. Probably
> shouldn't have combined it with the zesty salsa beans.
>
> I have never tried making onion rings but I did eat them a few times,
> years ago. They were good...provided that they were in fact the good
> ones. And by good ones I mean whole onion rings. Not the chopped up
> onions preformed into doughy rings that a few places serve.
>
> I made creamed onions once. Didn't care for those because I think they
> were creamed and I never actually liked cream.
>
> I love them raw, cooked and especially caramelized. One of my favorite
> foods is caramelized onion in mashed potatoes. I put tons of onions in
> there.
>
> What is your favorite thing to do with onions?

Here's a nod for buttermilk dipped and flour battered deep fried onion
rings - sublime.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/1/2013 11:59 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>> I love onions. I eat them pretty much every day in some form or
>>> another. Usually in things. Am currently eating the last bit of a
>>> red onion in a bean taco and it's biting me but I love it. Probably
>>> shouldn't have combined it with the zesty salsa beans.
>>>
>>> I have never tried making onion rings but I did eat them a few times,
>>> years ago. They were good...provided that they were in fact the good
>>> ones. And by good ones I mean whole onion rings. Not the chopped up
>>> onions preformed into doughy rings that a few places serve.
>>>
>>> I made creamed onions once. Didn't care for those because I think
>>> they were creamed and I never actually liked cream.
>>>
>>> I love them raw, cooked and especially caramelized. One of my
>>> favorite foods is caramelized onion in mashed potatoes. I put tons
>>> of onions in there.
>>>
>>> What is your favorite thing to do with onions?

>> I like the Walla Walla sweets baked whole, with butter. I do like
>> onions just about every way though.

> Have not tried them baked whole. Will try that. Thanks!

One consideration when doing that - core out a pocket in the top of the
onion and insert a beef bullion cube. If the foil wrap is secure the
resulting product is like french onion soup with body.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/2/2013 7:28 AM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> On Monday, September 2, 2013 8:06:20 AM UTC-5, Pico Rico wrote:
>> "Janet" > wrote in message
>>
>> t...
>>
>>> In article >, says...

>>> Of course, you're going to reject every suggestion with why you (or

>>> your parents, siblings husband, daughter) would/could never make/eat

>>> that.

>>> I love french onion soup; and boiled onions baked in a cheesy sauce

>>> with a brown (crumbs) topping.

>>> Janet.

>> " I made creamed onions once. Didn't care for those because I think they
>>
>> were creamed and I never actually liked cream."
>>

>> 'nuff said!

> Sometimes, when she writes stuff that is that over-the-top stupid, it makes
> me think she's just a fictional character, somebody's hobby. Then I think
> of Jerry Springer, and remember that there are a lot of folks out there
> who are even more defective than Julie and her family.
>
> --Bryan O|O

Do you personally know her family?

That's a nasty indictment to make, even in a medium as faceless as this.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 2 Sep 2013 13:40:47 +0100, Janet > wrote:

>In article >, says...
>>
>> I love onions. I eat them pretty much every day in some form or another.
>> Usually in things. Am currently eating the last bit of a red onion in a
>> bean taco and it's biting me but I love it. Probably shouldn't have
>> combined it with the zesty salsa beans.
>>
>> I have never tried making onion rings but I did eat them a few times, years
>> ago. They were good...provided that they were in fact the good ones. And
>> by good ones I mean whole onion rings. Not the chopped up onions preformed
>> into doughy rings that a few places serve.
>>
>> I made creamed onions once. Didn't care for those because I think they were
>> creamed and I never actually liked cream.
>>
>> I love them raw, cooked and especially caramelized. One of my favorite
>> foods is caramelized onion in mashed potatoes. I put tons of onions in
>> there.
>>
>> What is your favorite thing to do with onions?

> Of course, you're going to reject every suggestion with why you (or
>your parents, siblings husband, daughter) would/could never make/eat
>that.
>
> I love french onion soup; and boiled onions baked in a cheesy sauce
>with a brown (crumbs) topping.
>
> Janet.

I would love directions for the onions baked in a cheesy sauce. Recipe
not necessary, I can do the sauce, but boiling and construction
directions would be good.

I love onions roasted along with the other veges for a roast dinner.

I also love a white onion sauce. Saute white onions (not the salad
onions, the white onions with the paper skins) in butter very slowly
(no browning) until soft. Add flour, a little dried mustard, salt and
pepper to make a roux, add milk and bring to the boil to desired
consistency. Add fresh chopped herbs of choice, I like parsley and
dill. Serve over corned beef or mutton.

JB

JB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/2/2013 10:59 AM, JBurns wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Sep 2013 13:40:47 +0100, Janet > wrote:
>
>> In article >, says...
>>>
>>> I love onions. I eat them pretty much every day in some form or another.
>>> Usually in things. Am currently eating the last bit of a red onion in a
>>> bean taco and it's biting me but I love it. Probably shouldn't have
>>> combined it with the zesty salsa beans.
>>>
>>> I have never tried making onion rings but I did eat them a few times, years
>>> ago. They were good...provided that they were in fact the good ones. And
>>> by good ones I mean whole onion rings. Not the chopped up onions preformed
>>> into doughy rings that a few places serve.
>>>
>>> I made creamed onions once. Didn't care for those because I think they were
>>> creamed and I never actually liked cream.
>>>
>>> I love them raw, cooked and especially caramelized. One of my favorite
>>> foods is caramelized onion in mashed potatoes. I put tons of onions in
>>> there.
>>>
>>> What is your favorite thing to do with onions?

>> Of course, you're going to reject every suggestion with why you (or
>> your parents, siblings husband, daughter) would/could never make/eat
>> that.
>>
>> I love french onion soup; and boiled onions baked in a cheesy sauce
>> with a brown (crumbs) topping.
>>
>> Janet.

> I would love directions for the onions baked in a cheesy sauce. Recipe
> not necessary, I can do the sauce, but boiling and construction
> directions would be good.
>
> I love onions roasted along with the other veges for a roast dinner.
>
> I also love a white onion sauce. Saute white onions (not the salad
> onions, the white onions with the paper skins) in butter very slowly
> (no browning) until soft. Add flour, a little dried mustard, salt and
> pepper to make a roux, add milk and bring to the boil to desired
> consistency. Add fresh chopped herbs of choice, I like parsley and
> dill. Serve over corned beef or mutton.
>
> JB
>
> JB

That sounds delicious, especially over spring lamb - mutton is a bit
tougher...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 1 Sep 2013 22:15:14 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I love onions. I eat them pretty much every day in some form or another.
>>Usually in things. Am currently eating the last bit of a red onion in a
>>bean taco and it's biting me but I love it. Probably shouldn't have
>>combined it with the zesty salsa beans.
>>
>>I have never tried making onion rings but I did eat them a few times,
>>years
>>ago. They were good...provided that they were in fact the good ones. And
>>by good ones I mean whole onion rings. Not the chopped up onions
>>preformed
>>into doughy rings that a few places serve.
>>
>>I made creamed onions once. Didn't care for those because I think they
>>were
>>creamed and I never actually liked cream.
>>
>>I love them raw, cooked and especially caramelized. One of my favorite
>>foods is caramelized onion in mashed potatoes. I put tons of onions in
>>there.
>>
>>What is your favorite thing to do with onions?

> Naturally on a burger.
> Smothered liver. Also love raw onions on a liverwurst sandwich.
> Fried onions n' eggs.
> Herring in cream sauce with onions.
> The best:
> http://shop.russanddaughters.com/sto...ream%26Onions/
> If you're feeling flush:
> http://shop.russanddaughters.com/sto...AM-%26-ONIONS/
> Sixty+ years ago Appy was considered Po' Folk food.
> There are dozens more ways I enjoy onions.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 9/2/2013 1:46 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On Sun, 1 Sep 2013 22:15:14 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> What is your favorite thing to do with onions?

> I don't have one.
>
>> Caramelize them with mushrooms and put them on top of a good steak.
>>
>> Use them with other beef dishes too, and a topping on pizza.
>>

> Years ago someone posted this:
>
> German Onion Pie
>
> 4 thick slices of bacon, diced (I used german smoked or 'double smoked
> bacon' as they call it)
> 2 cups peeled and chopped yellow onion (I used half yellow and half red
> onion)
> 2 eggs, beaten
> 1 cup sour cream
> 1 tblsp flour
> 1/2 tsp salt
> 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
> 1 9-inch pie shell, unbaked
>
> Preheat oven to 400 degrees f
>
> Saute bacon. Drain most of the fat from the pan. Add the onions and saute
> until clear. Do not brown. Set aside to cool.
>
> Beat the eggs and sour cream together in a medium-sized bowl. Sprinkle the
> flour over the top and beat it in. Stir in the salt and pepper.
>
> Prick the bottom of the pie shell several times with a fork. Spread the
> onions and bacon over the bottom of the pie shell. Pour the sour cream
> mixture over the top.
>
> Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees f and bake for another 15
> minutes or until pie is nicely browned. Serve hot!
>
> Jill

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> I like the Walla Walla sweets baked whole, with butter. I do like onions
>>> just about every way though.

>> Have not tried them baked whole. Will try that. Thanks!

> I don't know if you like beef bouillon flavor, but if you core out a bit
> of the middle (not all the way through the onion and add a beef bouillon
> cube and butter to fill up the core, then wrap in foil and bake, it's
> really good. Like onion soup flavor.

I don't have any cubes. I think there is some reason we can't eat them but
not sure why. But I will look for them. And would have to sub in Nucoa.
Thanks! I used to love French Onion soup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On 9/2/13 1:15 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> What is your favorite thing to do with onions?

> An Alsatian onion tart. Superb!

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sunday, September 1, 2013 10:15:14 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
>

>> I love them raw, cooked and especially caramelized. One of my favorite
>> foods is caramelized onion in mashed potatoes. I put tons of onions in
>> there.
>>

>> What is your favorite thing to do with onions?

> A recipe we like that uses tons of onions is a curry called chicken
> dopeeazah.
> This recipe seems about right:
>
> http://indianfood.about.com/od/chick...en-Dopiaza.htm

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"casa contenta" > wrote in message
> On 9/1/2013 11:15 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I love onions. I eat them pretty much every day in some form or
>> another. Usually in things. Am currently eating the last bit of a red
>> onion in a bean taco and it's biting me but I love it. Probably
>> shouldn't have combined it with the zesty salsa beans.
>>
>> I have never tried making onion rings but I did eat them a few times,
>> years ago. They were good...provided that they were in fact the good
>> ones. And by good ones I mean whole onion rings. Not the chopped up
>> onions preformed into doughy rings that a few places serve.
>>
>> I made creamed onions once. Didn't care for those because I think they
>> were creamed and I never actually liked cream.
>>
>> I love them raw, cooked and especially caramelized. One of my favorite
>> foods is caramelized onion in mashed potatoes. I put tons of onions in
>> there.
>>
>> What is your favorite thing to do with onions?

> Here's a nod for buttermilk dipped and flour battered deep fried onion
> rings - sublime.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/2/13 10:46 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "pltrgyst" > wrote in message
>> On 9/2/13 1:15 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> What is your favorite thing to do with onions?

>> An Alsatian onion tart. Superb!

> Well don't stop there ... ?

http://www.hubertkeller.com/recipes/...ipes-201-A.pdf

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On 9/2/13 10:46 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> An Alsatian onion tart. Superb!

>> Well don't stop there ... ?

> http://www.hubertkeller.com/recipes/...ipes-201-A.pdf

Thank you)))
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Senior Member

I would like to make bloomin Onions!
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Bove[_2_] View Post
I love onions. I eat them pretty much every day in some form or another.
Usually in things. Am currently eating the last bit of a red onion in a
bean taco and it's biting me but I love it. Probably shouldn't have
combined it with the zesty salsa beans.

I have never tried making onion rings but I did eat them a few times, years
ago. They were good...provided that they were in fact the good ones. And
by good ones I mean whole onion rings. Not the chopped up onions preformed
into doughy rings that a few places serve.

I made creamed onions once. Didn't care for those because I think they were
creamed and I never actually liked cream.

I love them raw, cooked and especially caramelized. One of my favorite
foods is caramelized onion in mashed potatoes. I put tons of onions in
there.

What is your favorite thing to do with onions?
I use raw onion(Chopped) with the cup of yogurt cream and pinch of salt and if you need some vegetables u can add like carrot milling, chopped green chillies and cucumber mixed well gently and eat with bread or some variety spicy content rice. Its tastes very much please you too try it.

Well Onion is very much healthy ofcourse both by raw or cooked. Do you know the health benefits of onion ? I let you know the benefits and remedies on using Onion following below.

Benefits and Remedies of eating Onion:

1. Good for the health of Hair, Eyes, Fingers and Toe nails
1. Use to control Blood Preasure.
2. Use to increases the Secretion of Urine.
3. Use to get a good night Sleep for those people who have Insomnia.
4. Use to lowering the blood sugar level for those those who suffer from Diabetes Mellitus

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"clinicaltrials" > wrote in
message . ..

> 'Julie Bove[_2_ Wrote:
>> ;1861973']I love onions. I eat them pretty much every day in some form
>> or another.
>> Usually in things. Am currently eating the last bit of a red onion in a
>>
>> bean taco and it's biting me but I love it. Probably shouldn't have
>> combined it with the zesty salsa beans.
>>
>> I have never tried making onion rings but I did eat them a few times,
>> years
>> ago. They were good...provided that they were in fact the good ones.
>> And
>> by good ones I mean whole onion rings. Not the chopped up onions
>> preformed
>> into doughy rings that a few places serve.
>>
>> I made creamed onions once. Didn't care for those because I think they
>> were
>> creamed and I never actually liked cream.
>>
>> I love them raw, cooked and especially caramelized. One of my favorite
>>
>> foods is caramelized onion in mashed potatoes. I put tons of onions in
>>
>> there.
>>
>> What is your favorite thing to do with onions?

> I use raw onion(Chopped) with the cup of yogurt cream and pinch of salt
> and if you need some vegetables u can add like carrot milling, chopped
> green chillies and cucumber mixed well gently and eat with bread or some
> variety spicy content rice. Its tastes very much please you too try it.
>

> Well Onion is very much healthy ofcourse both by raw or cooked. Do you
> know the health benefits of onion ? I let you know the benefits and
> remedies on using Onion following below.
>
> Benefits and Remedies of eating Onion:
>
> 1. Good for the health of Hair, Eyes, Fingers and Toe nails
> 1. Use to control Blood Preasure.
> 2. Use to increases the Secretion of Urine.
> 3. Use to get a good night Sleep for those people who have Insomnia.
> 4. Use to lowering the blood sugar level for those those who suffer from
> Diabetes Mellitus

I only wish it lowered blood sugar. But it doesn't. Nor does it do
anything for blood pressure. Have not noticed any urine stuff with it.
Don't know agout the hair, eyes or nails but have never read or heard
anywhere else that it helps with those.

And what are carrot mills?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/2/2013 12:15 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I love onions. I eat them pretty much every day in some form or
> another. Usually in things. Am currently eating the last bit of a red
> onion in a bean taco and it's biting me but I love it. Probably
> shouldn't have combined it with the zesty salsa beans.
>
> I love them raw, cooked and especially caramelized. One of my
> favorite foods is caramelized onion in mashed potatoes. I put tons of
> onions in there.
>
> What is your favorite thing to do with onions?

Cut into chunks or slices, grilled, then served with a dash of
balsamic vinegar. Divine.

I also make a pork chop dish with them. Brown some pork chops in olive
oil in a cast iron skillet. Remove the browned chops and add a mess of
sliced sweet onions; toss to evenly coat with the oil in the pan. Put
the browned chops on top and place skillet in a 350 degree oven. About
fifteen minutes before the chops are done, spoon cranberry sauce over
the onions and chops. By the time the chops are done, the cranberry
sauce will have lightly glazed them and coated the onions. The
combination of tart/sweet cranberry sauce and onions is just terrific.

For people who need proportions:

2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
2 pork chops
1 large sweet onion, halved and sliced
1/2 cup good cranberry sauce (I use Trader Joe's house brand)

Heat oil in a 10 or 12 inch cast iron skillet. Season chops, brown in
the oil. Remove from pan. Add onions to pan, toss to coat in remaining
oil. Top with chops, place in 350 degree oven and bake, uncovered, for
about 30-45 minutes (depends on thickness of chops). When you figure
the chops only need about 10-15 more minutes, spoon cranberry sauce
over the entire dish and return to oven.

With apple season approaching, I'm going to try a variation of this
where I'll add sliced apples to the onions. Apple pairs so well with
pork and cranberries that I figure it will work nicely with this recipe.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Moe DeLoughan" > wrote in message
> On 9/2/2013 12:15 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I love onions. I eat them pretty much every day in some form or
>> another. Usually in things. Am currently eating the last bit of a red
>> onion in a bean taco and it's biting me but I love it. Probably
>> shouldn't have combined it with the zesty salsa beans.
>>
>> I love them raw, cooked and especially caramelized. One of my
>> favorite foods is caramelized onion in mashed potatoes. I put tons of
>> onions in there.
>>
>> What is your favorite thing to do with onions?

> Cut into chunks or slices, grilled, then served with a dash of balsamic
> vinegar. Divine.
>
> I also make a pork chop dish with them. Brown some pork chops in olive oil
> in a cast iron skillet. Remove the browned chops and add a mess of sliced
> sweet onions; toss to evenly coat with the oil in the pan. Put the browned
> chops on top and place skillet in a 350 degree oven. About fifteen minutes
> before the chops are done, spoon cranberry sauce over the onions and
> chops. By the time the chops are done, the cranberry sauce will have
> lightly glazed them and coated the onions. The combination of tart/sweet
> cranberry sauce and onions is just terrific.
>
> For people who need proportions:
>
> 2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
> 2 pork chops
> 1 large sweet onion, halved and sliced
> 1/2 cup good cranberry sauce (I use Trader Joe's house brand)
>
> Heat oil in a 10 or 12 inch cast iron skillet. Season chops, brown in the
> oil. Remove from pan. Add onions to pan, toss to coat in remaining oil.
> Top with chops, place in 350 degree oven and bake, uncovered, for about
> 30-45 minutes (depends on thickness of chops). When you figure the chops
> only need about 10-15 more minutes, spoon cranberry sauce over the entire
> dish and return to oven.
>
> With apple season approaching, I'm going to try a variation of this where
> I'll add sliced apples to the onions. Apple pairs so well with pork and
> cranberries that I figure it will work nicely with this recipe.

Sounds wonderful!!! Thank you <saved> )

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/2/13 4:46 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> "pltrgyst" > wrote ...

>>> Well don't stop there ... ?

>> http://www.hubertkeller.com/recipes/...ipes-201-A.pdf

> Thank you)))

You're welcome. But I must add that I prefer to make the crust flat, and
top fairly lightly with the onion and bacon mixture -- sort of like a
pizza, and more like the ones we've had served to us in Alsace.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On 9/2/13 4:46 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "pltrgyst" > wrote ...

>>> http://www.hubertkeller.com/recipes/...ipes-201-A.pdf

>> Thank you)))

> You're welcome. But I must add that I prefer to make the crust flat, and
> top fairly lightly with the onion and bacon mixture -- sort of like a
> pizza, and more like the ones we've had served to us in Alsace.

OK thanks again
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/