Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default My three favorite things

Not necessarily the most expensive, most versatile, most *whatever*
things in the kitchen, just my favorites:

1. Bad-ass KitchenAid mixer

2. Polder digital thermometer/timer

3. Big ole 12" cast iron skillet

Yours?

Scooter

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scooter wrote:
> Not necessarily the most expensive, most versatile, most *whatever*
> things in the kitchen, just my favorites:
>
> 1. Bad-ass KitchenAid mixer
>
> 2. Polder digital thermometer/timer
>
> 3. Big ole 12" cast iron skillet
>
> Yours?

Pussy, beer and 2" thick NY strip steaks, cooked rare over a seasoned
hickory or pecan wood fire.

Oh, you mean kitchen appliances.

1. My Cuisinart Little Pro Plus

2. Zyliss garlic press

3. The refrigerator that makes the beer cold

> Scooter

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scooter > wrote:
>Not necessarily the most expensive, most versatile, most *whatever*
>things in the kitchen, just my favorites:

Tilia FoodSaver

Wusthofs

Cuisinart TOB165 countertop convection/toaster oven.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Scooter" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Not necessarily the most expensive, most versatile, most *whatever*
> things in the kitchen, just my favorites:
>
> 1. Bad-ass KitchenAid mixer
>
> 2. Polder digital thermometer/timer
>
> 3. Big ole 12" cast iron skillet
>
> Yours?
>
> Scooter

What do I use all the time and miss when I'm cooking in someone else's
kitchen...

1. Wire whisks
2. Rubber Spatulas
3. Convection Oven

Lynne

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Scooter" > wrote in news:1153448414.592680.58450
@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

> Not necessarily the most expensive, most versatile, most *whatever*
> things in the kitchen, just my favorites:
>
> 1. Bad-ass KitchenAid mixer
>
> 2. Polder digital thermometer/timer
>
> 3. Big ole 12" cast iron skillet
>
> Yours?
>
> Scooter

After careful consideration:

1. The La-Z-Boy recliner
2. Paper plates
3. Plastic cups, knives, forks and spoons

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20 Jul 2006 19:20:14 -0700, "Scooter" > wrote:

>Not necessarily the most expensive, most versatile, most *whatever*
>things in the kitchen, just my favorites:
>
>1. Bad-ass KitchenAid mixer
>
>2. Polder digital thermometer/timer
>
>3. Big ole 12" cast iron skillet
>
>Yours?
>
>Scooter

How do you keep the Polder stable?
I must keep mine in a zip lock bag to keep the
humidity away, then I must drive off any hint
of humidity or moisture by wrapping in a hot
hotpad for a half hour before use. Both the probe
and the readout are pieces of crap in that they
respond to the slightest moisture in any form.

The cooking tools I use the most(other than nuker) :
1. Cuisinart Griddler run off of a 20 amp Variac
2. Sunpentown Super Turbo Oven
3. Paper plates
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote on 20 Jul 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> On 20 Jul 2006 19:20:14 -0700, "Scooter" >
> wrote:
>
> >Not necessarily the most expensive, most versatile, most *whatever*
> >things in the kitchen, just my favorites:
> >
> >1. Bad-ass KitchenAid mixer
> >
> >2. Polder digital thermometer/timer
> >
> >3. Big ole 12" cast iron skillet
> >
> >Yours?

> 1. Wire whisk
>
> 2. Kitchen shears
>
> 3. 12" cast iron wok

1 breathing
2 eating
3 sex

mere kitchen appliances rate down near 20.

--

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect

-Alan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

One, those bendy-plastic cutting boards.

Two, La Morena "Home Made Style Chipotle Sauce." Mix with a pound of
cooked chicken (tofu is a distant second due to lack of texture) and
you've got a FANTASTIC taco or burrito filling.

Three, Westinghouse Salad Express. When I got it I figured there was a
50-50 shot I'd use it once and then store it away forever, but I use it
all the time. Basically, it's a $50 food processor with, like, a
BUCKET instead of a base. Only grates and slices -- non-adjustable --
but if you eat a lot of fresh vegetables it's indispensable.

I go to the Green Market, pick up radishes, lettuce, carrots,
mushrooms, peppers, etc., wash them all in FIT vegetable wash, then
make myself a bucket of salad that'll last three or four days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

#12 Griswold CI skillet

My Kiwi brand chinese cleaver

My double laminate glass top stove. ;-)
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Scooter" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Not necessarily the most expensive, most versatile, most *whatever*
> things in the kitchen, just my favorites:
>
> 1. Bad-ass KitchenAid mixer
>
> 2. Polder digital thermometer/timer
>
> 3. Big ole 12" cast iron skillet
>
> Yours?
>
> Scooter

Okay, I'll bite.....

1. Electric, non-stick fondue pot
2. 18" pizza pan
3. My grandparents' name engraved wedding glasses.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sir Frederick wrote:
> On 20 Jul 2006 19:20:14 -0700, "Scooter" > wrote:
>
> How do you keep the Polder stable?

Stable as in providing an accurate temperature readout? I've never
noticed a problem; I just plug the probe in and I'm good to go. I
suppose I wouldn't know if the readout was off by a couple of degrees
here or there, but I've never seen anything that was obviously
inaccurate.

> I must keep mine in a zip lock bag to keep the
> humidity away, then I must drive off any hint
> of humidity or moisture by wrapping in a hot
> hotpad for a half hour before use. Both the probe
> and the readout are pieces of crap in that they
> respond to the slightest moisture in any form.

Huh. I just throw the probe in a drawer (used to try the ziplock bag to
keep the wire from getting tangled with other utensils, but the probe
kept poking holes in the bag) and the base unit (readout thing) stays
on the fridge. Not much humidity here (desert), but I did the same
thing in the sweaty Midwest and never noticed a problem. Maybe you just
got stuck with a lemon? If I had to go through all that pain, I
would've tossed it a long time ago.

Scooter

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Scooter" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Sir Frederick wrote:
> > On 20 Jul 2006 19:20:14 -0700, "Scooter" > wrote:
> >
> > How do you keep the Polder stable?

> Stable as in providing an accurate temperature readout? I've never
> noticed a problem; I just plug the probe in and I'm good to go. I
> suppose I wouldn't know if the readout was off by a couple of degrees
> here or there, but I've never seen anything that was obviously
> inaccurate.
>
> > I must keep mine in a zip lock bag to keep the
> > humidity away, then I must drive off any hint
> > of humidity or moisture by wrapping in a hot
> > hotpad for a half hour before use. Both the probe
> > and the readout are pieces of crap in that they
> > respond to the slightest moisture in any form.

> Huh. I just throw the probe in a drawer (used to try the ziplock bag to
> keep the wire from getting tangled with other utensils, but the probe
> kept poking holes in the bag) and the base unit (readout thing) stays
> on the fridge. Not much humidity here (desert), but I did the same
> thing in the sweaty Midwest and never noticed a problem. Maybe you just
> got stuck with a lemon? If I had to go through all that pain, I
> would've tossed it a long time ago.
>
> Scooter

We've never had a problem with our Polder either; we've gone through lots of
temp probes and this Polder just keeps ticking. It's been dropped, it's
cracked, it's yellow from the sun, it's about 10 years old and it's still
the most accurate probe we've used. We love it.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote

> "Scooter" > wrote

>> Sir Frederick wrote:

>> Huh. I just throw the probe in a drawer (used to try the ziplock bag to
>> keep the wire from getting tangled with other utensils, but the probe
>> kept poking holes in the bag) and the base unit (readout thing) stays
>> on the fridge. Not much humidity here (desert), but I did the same
>> thing in the sweaty Midwest and never noticed a problem. Maybe you just
>> got stuck with a lemon? If I had to go through all that pain, I
>> would've tossed it a long time ago.

> We've never had a problem with our Polder either; we've gone through lots
> of
> temp probes and this Polder just keeps ticking. It's been dropped, it's
> cracked, it's yellow from the sun, it's about 10 years old and it's still
> the most accurate probe we've used. We love it.

Me three. My Polder works great, I don't put it into a drawer to kick
around, but I don't baby it, either. Just take it out, use it, put it back.
Works
great, I love it. I think you have a lemon.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 13:08:12 -0400, "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>"kilikini" > wrote
>
>> "Scooter" > wrote

>>> Sir Frederick wrote:

>>> Huh. I just throw the probe in a drawer (used to try the ziplock bag to
>>> keep the wire from getting tangled with other utensils, but the probe
>>> kept poking holes in the bag) and the base unit (readout thing) stays
>>> on the fridge. Not much humidity here (desert), but I did the same
>>> thing in the sweaty Midwest and never noticed a problem. Maybe you just
>>> got stuck with a lemon? If I had to go through all that pain, I
>>> would've tossed it a long time ago.

>> We've never had a problem with our Polder either; we've gone through lots
>> of
>> temp probes and this Polder just keeps ticking. It's been dropped, it's
>> cracked, it's yellow from the sun, it's about 10 years old and it's still
>> the most accurate probe we've used. We love it.

>Me three. My Polder works great, I don't put it into a drawer to kick
>around, but I don't baby it, either. Just take it out, use it, put it back.
>Works
>great, I love it. I think you have a lemon.
>
>nancy

Then I have two readouts and three probes, all of which are
crap. I have given up on them. Only the engineering challenge
remains. I expect no practical use. A touch of humidity (not visible
moisture), just a touch of humidity (such as given off by a roast),
or a humid day, and the things are reading fifty degrees high.
The hot pad treatment brings the readout back to possible consideration.
--
Frederick Martin McNeill
Poway, California, United States of America

http://www.fuzzysys.com
http://members.cox.net/fmmcneill
*************************
Phrase of the week :
"The progress of science always depends upon our
questioning the plausible, the respectably accepted,
and the seemingly self-evident."
-- Morris R. Cohen (1880-1947)
:-))))Snort!)
**************************************
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In ups.com,
Scooter > typed:
> Not necessarily the most expensive, most versatile, most *whatever*
> things in the kitchen, just my favorites:
>
> 1. Bad-ass KitchenAid mixer
>
> 2. Polder digital thermometer/timer
>
> 3. Big ole 12" cast iron skillet
>
> Yours?
>
> Scooter

1). One of my smokers (don't make me decide which one)

2). My Redi-Chek wireless digital thermometer

3). Refrigerator for the raw meat and the beer.

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking
MoM MoM is offline

"Scooter" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Not necessarily the most expensive, most versatile, most *whatever*
> things in the kitchen, just my favorites:
>
> 1. Bad-ass KitchenAid mixer
>
> 2. Polder digital thermometer/timer
>
> 3. Big ole 12" cast iron skillet
>
> Yours?
>
> Scooter

1. Kenwood chef mixer
2. Braun food processor
3. huge Titanium skillet

MoM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MoM wrote:
> "Scooter" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
>> Not necessarily the most expensive, most versatile, most *whatever*
>> things in the kitchen, just my favorites:
>>
>> 1. Bad-ass KitchenAid mixer
>>
>> 2. Polder digital thermometer/timer
>>
>> 3. Big ole 12" cast iron skillet
>>
>> Yours?
>>
>> Scooter
>>

> 1. Kenwood chef mixer
> 2. Braun food processor
> 3. huge Titanium skillet
>
> MoM

As in, I'm really pleased I've got one of these:

1 Mortar and pestle

2 Spanish flameproof terra cotta dish (shallow, about 30cm diameter, no lid)

3 Scanpan pressure cooker

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
projectile vomit chick > wrote:

> On 20 Jul 2006 19:20:14 -0700, in rec.food.cooking, "Scooter"
> > hit the crackpipe and declared:
> >Not necessarily the most expensive, most versatile, most *whatever*
> >things in the kitchen, just my favorites:
> >
> >1. Bad-ass KitchenAid mixer
> >
> >2. Polder digital thermometer/timer
> >
> >3. Big ole 12" cast iron skillet
> >
> >Yours?
> >
> >Scooter

> 1. 8 inch vibrating dildo
>
> 2. raspberry jello
>
> 3. big ole cast iron bathtub
>
> Next!

What?
No baby oil on the waterbed with no sheets? ;-)
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Scooter" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Not necessarily the most expensive, most versatile, most *whatever*
> things in the kitchen, just my favorites:
>
> 1. Bad-ass KitchenAid mixer
>
> 2. Polder digital thermometer/timer
>
> 3. Big ole 12" cast iron skillet
>
> Yours?
>
> Scooter

1) tongs

2)instant read thermometer

3) 12" Chef's knife

helen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

1. Fury Chinese Cleaver
2. Corningware glass lidded saucepans (micro/oven/stovetop/dishwasher
friendly)
3. Braun handmixer, with mini food processor attachment/blades.

Admit however that even when we go away for our annual 3 weeks holiday
nearly half of my kitchen comes along too. I will NOT put up with
crappy kitchen appliances/tools even for a brief holiday, though I cull
the list of 'must take items' for weekends away.

First to be packed:
Sunbeam deep sided (about 4") electric frypan AND POWER CORD!!!
3 essential Fury knives (bread, cleaver & utility)
the spare set of plastic utensils - slotted spoon, serving spoon,
masher & egg slice
butter knife & a tablespoon & whisk
veg peeler
ss stockpot - versatile for soup, pasta, stew, casserole
bamboo skewers for the bbq
hand mixer & fp attachment
1 ss baking dish
1 silicon cake pan
1 small cutting board (can bear the thought of using one who's history
I don't know)
ss coffee plunger
and our two favourite mugs for morning coffee
salt & pepper grinders (small acrylic variety)
couple of micro-safe containers (reason?ditto cutting board)
Just as well we've got an 8 seater van is all I can say! (Which seems
ridiculous now there's only the two of us... hehehe)

LadyJane
--
"Never trust a skinny cook!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<snip>

> Admit however that even when we go away for our annual 3 weeks holiday
> nearly half of my kitchen comes along too. I will NOT put up with
> crappy kitchen appliances/tools even for a brief holiday, though I cull
> the list of 'must take items' for weekends away.
>
> First to be packed:
> Sunbeam deep sided (about 4") electric frypan AND POWER CORD!!!
> 3 essential Fury knives (bread, cleaver & utility)
> the spare set of plastic utensils - slotted spoon, serving spoon,
> masher & egg slice
> butter knife & a tablespoon & whisk
> veg peeler
> ss stockpot - versatile for soup, pasta, stew, casserole
> bamboo skewers for the bbq
> hand mixer & fp attachment
> 1 ss baking dish
> 1 silicon cake pan
> 1 small cutting board (can bear the thought of using one who's history
> I don't know)
> ss coffee plunger
> and our two favourite mugs for morning coffee
> salt & pepper grinders (small acrylic variety)
> couple of micro-safe containers (reason?ditto cutting board)
> Just as well we've got an 8 seater van is all I can say! (Which seems
> ridiculous now there's only the two of us... hehehe)
>
> LadyJane
> --
> "Never trust a skinny cook!"

This sounds like EXACTLY what I do when we go to to Florida (condo a couple
of times a year. Redneck Niveria is NICE if you've never been). The list
is different, but the thought is EXACTLY the same. Can't cook w/out *some*
of my stuff.

helen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Helen Harrand" > wrote in message
. ..
> <snip>

paper towels
french press coffee pot
tongs

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Not necessarily the most expensive, most versatile, most *whatever*
>things in the kitchen, just my favorites:
>
>1. Bad-ass KitchenAid mixer
>
>2. Polder digital thermometer/timer
>
>3. Big ole 12" cast iron skillet

1. The shelves full of beans and grains above my sink.
2. The big island, when it's cleaned off.
3. My KitchenAid immersion blender.

serene
--
Kissing Hank's Ass is 10 years old! http://jhuger.com/kisshank