Old 08-12-2011, 10:21 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Favorite things to do with onions?

"Jacquie" wrote in message
m...

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
I love onions. I put them in nearly everything. My favorite are
the white onions but currently I have yellow ones because they
were cheap.

What do you like to do with onions?

Red onions in salads for me. White or brown in cooked stuff. I use
onions pretty much every day. Lunch & dinner salads plus in every
savoury dish I make. Sometimes have them fried with steak
especially if bbq'ing. I also make onion gravy (brown gravy with
lightly fried onions). Nice with sausages. I roast them whole with
roast meats.

Thanks! I try to put red onions in salads but they are often
overwhelming. The best salads I ever had were in Half Moon Bay CA
and thereabouts. Two restaurants there used very thinly sliced
onions. I don't know if they soaked them in cold water or what but
they came out tasting sweet and not hot.

My mother always soaked sliced onion in vinegar for an hour or so
before using them in salads, takes the heat out. I find if I
refrigerate onions it takes heat out too.

I always soak my red onions in ice water for ten minutes before I put
them in a salad. We like all onions. I like red or the Vidalia on
burgers and hotdogs.
I put the green ones in my potato and pasta salads. I fry them with

My long lost twin! Do you like your onions raw or cooked on burgers
and hot dogs? I like fried onions but also rather partial to raw red
onions on a burger. On the rare occasion I have a Maccas burger I always
ask for raw red onions and tomato

Old 08-12-2011, 10:24 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Bjørn Steensrud" wrote in message
Janet wrote:

Julie Bove wrote:
I love onions. I put them in nearly everything. My favorite are
the
white onions but currently I have yellow ones because they were
cheap.

What do you like to do with onions?

French onion soup, using the method in Mastering the Art of French
Cooking. I love onions, and use a lot of them.

Yes! It must be the browning that does it. We had zuppa di cipolla at
an
Italan restaurant, unbrowned onions and it was not nearly as good.
Thanks
for the reminder, I'll have a pot ready for dw when she gets back
from her
trip ...

My mother hates browned onions but I LOVE them!

I can't imagine it without browning the onions but each to their own

Old 08-12-2011, 05:44 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/7/2011 3:01 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
I love onions. I put them in nearly everything. My favorite are the white
onions but currently I have yellow ones because they were cheap.

What do you like to do with onions?

- Greek Salad

- Marinated with tomatoes as a spin on greek salad

- onions, garlic, mushrooms and lastly tomatoes with sweet basil stir fried

- green onions, bacon into scrambled eggs

- vidalia onion & mustard salad dressing (yum)

- trying to think of a meal that onions don't go with..... raw in
hamburgers, cooked into spaghet sauces, curry, meatloaf, shepherds pie,
chicken pot pie, mongolian hot pot.....sliced and put into a casserole
with mushroom soup over pork chops... as a side to steak, yum

Old 08-12-2011, 07:36 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

:
: What do you like to do with onions?

: - Greek Salad

: - Marinated with tomatoes as a spin on greek salad

: - onions, garlic, mushrooms and lastly tomatoes with sweet basil stir fried

: - green onions, bacon into scrambled eggs

: - vidalia onion & mustard salad dressing (yum)

: - trying to think of a meal that onions don't go with..... raw in
: hamburgers, cooked into spaghet sauces, curry, meatloaf, shepherds pie,
: chicken pot pie, mongolian hot pot.....sliced and put into a casserole
: with mushroom soup over pork chops... as a side to steak, yum

How about thinly sliced with cream cheese and smoked salmon on a low carg
pita in lieu of the bagel?

Wendy

Old 08-12-2011, 09:56 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/8/2011 11:36 AM, W. Baker wrote:
Tiger wrote:
[...]

ah huh! for sure!! LOL

hubby buys me the lox and then sorta frowns when he sees me eating that

i'm not so sure i slice the onion thin, preferring to up the lox and
cream cheese portions LOL

kate
Old 08-12-2011, 10:29 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

: Tiger wrote:
: : On 12/7/2011 3:01 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
: : I love onions. I put them in nearly everything. My favorite are the white
: : onions but currently I have yellow ones because they were cheap.
: :
[...]

I forgot to add the slice of good tomato on that sandwich! It makes such
a wonderful combination of tastes adn textures that is quite heavenly!

Wendy

Old 09-12-2011, 04:40 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Jacquie" wrote in message
m...

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

I like them both ways but prefer raw. When I make chili beans, I cook onions
with the ground beef. Then when serving I also offer raw finely chopped
onions to put in the chili, Two totally different flavors

Old 09-12-2011, 04:48 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
On 12/7/2011 3:01 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
I love onions. I put them in nearly everything. My favorite are the
white
onions but currently I have yellow ones because they were cheap.

What do you like to do with onions?

- Greek Salad

- Marinated with tomatoes as a spin on greek salad

- onions, garlic, mushrooms and lastly tomatoes with sweet basil stir
fried

- green onions, bacon into scrambled eggs

- vidalia onion & mustard salad dressing (yum)

- trying to think of a meal that onions don't go with..... raw in
hamburgers, cooked into spaghet sauces, curry, meatloaf, shepherds pie,
chicken pot pie, mongolian hot pot.....sliced and put into a casserole
with mushroom soup over pork chops... as a side to steak, yum

Sometimes when I am out of lettuce and we are having Italian, I will slice
onions and tomatoes and marinate in a nice Italian dressing. Nope there is
not much I cook without some kind of onion.
When I make baked or fried cheese I sometimes add sliced green onions. Or I
will make a cheese crisp with a low carb tortilla, and add green onion to
it. I will brown chicken for fajitas and slice onions and caramelize them
slightly , then mix then together and add cheese and make quesadillas with
that mixture, serve it with sour cream and lettuce tomato and salsa.
Do you have a recipe for the mustard and Vidalia dressing?

Old 09-12-2011, 05:20 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" wrote in message
news
I like them both ways but prefer raw. When I make chili beans, I cook
onions with the ground beef. Then when serving I also offer raw finely
chopped onions to put in the chili, Two totally different flavors

Me too!

Old 09-12-2011, 10:45 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
I love onions. I put them in nearly everything. My favorite are the white
onions but currently I have yellow ones because they were cheap.

What do you like to do with onions?

Cheese & onion sarnies with thick slices of onion, loads of salt, pepper &
salad cream.

Chopped onion stirred into mashed potato.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:44 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ian Field" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
I love onions. I put them in nearly everything. My favorite are the
white onions but currently I have yellow ones because they were cheap.

What do you like to do with onions?

Cheese & onion sarnies with thick slices of onion, loads of salt,
pepper & salad cream.

Chopped onion stirred into mashed potato.

Ah yes, I have enjoyed both of your ideas I used to like mashed
potato with chopped onion with salad and next to the beetroot so the
juice would colour and flavour the mash, pink potato

Old 10-12-2011, 09:56 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/8/2011 8:48 PM, Jacquie wrote:

"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
[...]

unfortunately, i'm desperately looking for the Vidalia/Mustard recipe

the farm that the onions first came from has a brand name (now forgotten
or name lost) and they sold their salad dressing via Costco............
we stocked up, but everyone LOVED the dressing and we gave them a fresh
bottle

now, Costco doesn't have them

they are E coast USA based

kate
Old 10-12-2011, 10:01 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
[...]

this isn't the one
http://www.vitafoodproducts.com/p-27...-dressing.aspx

the one is made by ???? Farm

i'll see if my brother still has a bottle, they aren't salad folks
lol

kate