Old 07-12-2011, 10:01 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Favorite things to do with onions?

I love onions. I put them in nearly everything. My favorite are the white
onions but currently I have yellow ones because they were cheap.

What do you like to do with onions?

Old 07-12-2011, 01:47 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
I love onions. I put them in nearly everything. My favorite are the
white onions but currently I have yellow ones because they were cheap.

What do you like to do with onions?

French onion soup, using the method in Mastering the Art of French Cooking.
I love onions, and use a lot of them.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:37 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

i lovethem in almost everything, a friend has recently taken to carmelizing
them in the crock pot, after a long process, she either makes it as a soup
base or puts it on sands as a spread, that is on my "to try" list, Lee

Old 07-12-2011, 10:30 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
i lovethem in almost everything, a friend has recently taken to carmelizing
them in the crock pot, after a long process, she either makes it as a soup
base or puts it on sands as a spread, that is on my "to try" list, Lee

I have done that. Very good!

Old 07-12-2011, 10:39 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
I love onions. I put them in nearly everything. My favorite are the
white onions but currently I have yellow ones because they were cheap.

What do you like to do with onions?

Red onions in salads for me. White or brown in cooked stuff. I use
onions pretty much every day. Lunch & dinner salads plus in every
savoury dish I make. Sometimes have them fried with steak especially if
bbq'ing. I also make onion gravy (brown gravy with lightly fried
onions). Nice with sausages. I roast them whole with roast meats.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:45 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
I love onions. I put them in nearly everything. My favorite are the
white onions but currently I have yellow ones because they were cheap.

What do you like to do with onions?

Red onions in salads for me. White or brown in cooked stuff. I use onions
pretty much every day. Lunch & dinner salads plus in every savoury dish I
make. Sometimes have them fried with steak especially if bbq'ing. I also
make onion gravy (brown gravy with lightly fried onions). Nice with
sausages. I roast them whole with roast meats.

Thanks! I try to put red onions in salads but they are often overwhelming.
The best salads I ever had were in Half Moon Bay CA and thereabouts. Two
restaurants there used very thinly sliced onions. I don't know if they
soaked them in cold water or what but they came out tasting sweet and not
hot.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:54 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
I love onions. I put them in nearly everything. My favorite are
the white onions but currently I have yellow ones because they were
cheap.

What do you like to do with onions?

Red onions in salads for me. White or brown in cooked stuff. I use
onions pretty much every day. Lunch & dinner salads plus in every
savoury dish I make. Sometimes have them fried with steak especially
if bbq'ing. I also make onion gravy (brown gravy with lightly fried
onions). Nice with sausages. I roast them whole with roast meats.

Thanks! I try to put red onions in salads but they are often
overwhelming. The best salads I ever had were in Half Moon Bay CA and
thereabouts. Two restaurants there used very thinly sliced onions. I
don't know if they soaked them in cold water or what but they came out
tasting sweet and not hot.

My mother always soaked sliced onion in vinegar for an hour or so before
using them in salads, takes the heat out. I find if I refrigerate onions
it takes heat out too.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:41 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:

: "Ozgirl" wrote in message
: ...
:
:
: "Julie Bove" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

I alwasy have sliced red onions when I have a hamburger out. I get it on
a be of lettuce, no bun, of course, and I cut the slices into 4 pieced and
eat them with the hamburger and soem ketchup as well as the side of a good
pickle spear. At some places I have the cole slaw because it si not at
all sweet, while at some others I skip it.

Of course, I use them in most of my cooking.

Wendy

Old 08-12-2011, 05:38 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

I always soak my red onions in ice water for ten minutes before I put them
in a salad. We like all onions. I like red or the Vidalia on burgers and
hotdogs.
I put the green ones in my potato and pasta salads. I fry them with
mushrooms for topping on grilled steak. I put them in my ham and cheese
omelets.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:57 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet wrote:

Julie Bove wrote:
I love onions. I put them in nearly everything. My favorite are the
white onions but currently I have yellow ones because they were cheap.

What do you like to do with onions?

French onion soup, using the method in Mastering the Art of French
Cooking. I love onions, and use a lot of them.

Yes! It must be the browning that does it. We had zuppa di cipolla at an
Italan restaurant, unbrowned onions and it was not nearly as good. Thanks
for the reminder, I'll have a pot ready for dw when she gets back from her
trip ...

Old 08-12-2011, 07:05 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Bjrn Steensrud" wrote in message
Janet wrote:

Julie Bove wrote:
I love onions. I put them in nearly everything. My favorite are the
white onions but currently I have yellow ones because they were cheap.

What do you like to do with onions?

French onion soup, using the method in Mastering the Art of French
Cooking. I love onions, and use a lot of them.

Yes! It must be the browning that does it. We had zuppa di cipolla at an
Italan restaurant, unbrowned onions and it was not nearly as good. Thanks
for the reminder, I'll have a pot ready for dw when she gets back from her
trip ...

My mother hates browned onions but I LOVE them!