Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default TJ'S " these are a few of my favorite things"

Lynn from Fargo is about to discover TJ'S

I thought as a public service I would like to start a thread listing what I
like at TJ'S and how I use it.

Frozen spinach - I think it's one of the best values in the store - I don't
think I've ever seen a stem.

I just fry some garlic add the spinach, then some salt, lemon juice and a
splash of balsamic.

Frozen Roasted corn - this is good stuff. it has a nice roasted corn
flavor - quite often I sauté it in butter then add a small can of diced
green chilies - Ortega or Hatch if I can find them.

Heavy Cream - years ago # 2 daughter game me a NO charged whipped cream
maker - like the ones at Starbucks. Once charged it stays fresh for weeks
and weeks if I don't eat it first.. :-)

Eggs - are usually the least expensive in town, the same with their butter.

There's about 6 thousand things more but I think it's your turn.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:
> Lynn from Fargo is about to discover TJ'S
>
> I thought as a public service I would like to start a thread listing
> what I like at TJ'S and how I use it.
>
> Frozen spinach - I think it's one of the best values in the store - I
> don't think I've ever seen a stem.
>
> I just fry some garlic add the spinach, then some salt, lemon juice and
> a splash of balsamic.
>
> Frozen Roasted corn - this is good stuff. it has a nice roasted corn
> flavor - quite often I sauté it in butter then add a small can of diced
> green chilies - Ortega or Hatch if I can find them.
>
> Heavy Cream - years ago # 2 daughter game me a NO charged whipped cream
> maker - like the ones at Starbucks. Once charged it stays fresh for
> weeks and weeks if I don't eat it first.. :-)
>
> Eggs - are usually the least expensive in town, the same with their butter.
>

> There's about 6 thousand things more but I think it's your turn.
>
> Dimitri

My favorites:

The wine, if available. In Massachusetts there is a limit to how many
stores can sell alcoho so not all the TJs near me sell wine. I don't
know about ND.

Nuts, raisins, granola, ginger. All that stuff is very good and
reasonably priced.

Yogurt, Chevre and other cheeses. They have a nice selection.

Salsa

Nut butters ( best price on almond and cashew butters)

Frozen vegetables. I don't think I ever tried their frozen spinach -
but I will now.

Olive oil used to be a bargain - but I can get it cheaper elsewhere like
Costco or the Restaurant Depot. But if you don't have access to those
kinds of stores then the olive oil will be a bargain. They have other
oils and flavored vinegars too.

They have a lot of "simmer sauces" like curry or mole which I don't use,
but I do like their barbecue sauce.

They have limited produce - prepackaged stuff - I don't usually buy that
there since I have a nice produce market within walking distance of home.

I am sure there are more things....

Tracy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:
> Lynn from Fargo is about to discover TJ'S
>
> I thought as a public service I would like to start a thread listing
> what I like at TJ'S and how I use it.
>
> Frozen spinach - I think it's one of the best values in the store - I
> don't think I've ever seen a stem.
>
> I just fry some garlic add the spinach, then some salt, lemon juice and
> a splash of balsamic.
>
> Frozen Roasted corn - this is good stuff. it has a nice roasted corn
> flavor - quite often I sauté it in butter then add a small can of diced
> green chilies - Ortega or Hatch if I can find them.
>
> Heavy Cream - years ago # 2 daughter game me a NO charged whipped cream
> maker - like the ones at Starbucks. Once charged it stays fresh for
> weeks and weeks if I don't eat it first.. :-)
>
> Eggs - are usually the least expensive in town, the same with their butter.
>

> There's about 6 thousand things more but I think it's your turn.
>
> Dimitri

Things that come to mind first (there are so many):

black bean and corn salsa (refrigerated)
cheeses
[used to get pinon coffee there but don't see it now]
dried Blenheim apricots (they seem to vary in quality)
sometime other dried fruits (I was a bad LCer today and got a
pomegranate-cherry-cranberry blend--I need nutrients!)
some vities (cheap!!!)
almond flour (best source for that--they used to have some other
nut flours)
olive oil (I need to remember that--it is soooo much cheaper than
most other places now)
organic dairy products--to the degree that they have them
cioppino (frozen--very nice for LCing)
frozen fish
If you like Thai flavors, there is an awesome little
snack--cashews, kaffir lime shreds etc. on a rice cracker base.
(Not for me now, sniff.)

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 6, 2:22*pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> Lynn from Fargo is about to discover TJ'S
>
> I thought as a public service I would like to start a thread listing what I
> like at TJ'S and how I use it.
>
> Frozen spinach - I think it's one of the best values in the store - I don't
> think I've ever seen a stem.
>
> I just fry some garlic add the spinach, then some salt, lemon juice and a
> splash of balsamic.
>
> Frozen Roasted corn - this is good stuff. *it has a nice roasted corn
> flavor - quite often I sauté it in butter then add a small can of diced
> green chilies - Ortega or Hatch if I can find them.
>
> Heavy Cream - years ago # 2 daughter game me a NO charged whipped cream
> maker - like the ones at Starbucks. *Once charged it stays fresh for weeks
> and weeks if I don't eat it first.. :-)
>
> Eggs - are usually the least expensive in town, the same with their butter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kris" > wrote:

> A few of my favorite (TJ's) things:

> Sharp cheddar with carmelized onions

Good separately and a apart but eaten together sounds disgusting, purely
TIAD.

> Anti-OXident blueberry trail mix

Sounds like some sort of drain cleaner.

> Bite-sized macaroons

Teeny tiny macaroons are kinda ***.

> Kris Shannon

You must be Mick Blake's kissing cousin. LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:

> "Kris" > wrote:
> >
> > A few of my favorite (TJ's) things:

> > Sharp cheddar with carmelized onions

> Good separately and a apart but eaten together sounds disgusting, purely
> TIAD.
>
> > Anti-OXident blueberry trail mix

> Sounds like some sort of drain cleaner.
>
> > Bite-sized macaroons

> Teeny tiny macaroons are kinda ***.

Perfect for Lil' Wayne's NAMBLA meetings...don't forget the lace serviettes
and fingah bowls...!!!

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message
m...

> brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> "Kris" > wrote:
>> >
>> > A few of my favorite (TJ's) things:

>> > Sharp cheddar with carmelized onions

>> Good separately and a apart but eaten together sounds disgusting, purely
>> TIAD.
>>
>> > Anti-OXident blueberry trail mix

>> Sounds like some sort of drain cleaner.
>>
>> > Bite-sized macaroons

>> Teeny tiny macaroons are kinda ***.

> Perfect for Lil' Wayne's NAMBLA meetings...don't forget the lace
> serviettes
> and fingah bowls...!!!
>

> --
> Best
> Greg

Lil' Wayne's NAMBLA meetings... LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> I thought as a public service I would like to start a thread
> listing what I like at TJ'S and how I use it.

<snip>
> There's about 6 thousand things more but I think it's your turn.

Their candied ginger has quite a bite to it!

They carry jars of Morello (sour) cherries during the summer.

They've got frozen ostrich steaks.

They've got a very good selection of breads and flatbreads.

They USED to carry a Cuban simmer sauce which was fantastic. But it's
apparently been discontinued -- as someone else mentioned already, TJ's
often stops carrying items for no apparent reason. They also used to carry
some of the best white chocolate around. (White chocolate almost always
seems waxy to me, but this particular brand, Swartenbroeckx, was not waxy.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> Lynn from Fargo is about to discover TJ'S
>
> I thought as a public service I would like to start a thread listing what I
> like at TJ'S and how I use it.
>
> Frozen spinach - I think it's one of the best values in the store - I don't
> think I've ever seen a stem.
>
> I just fry some garlic add the spinach, then some salt, lemon juice and a
> splash of balsamic.
>
> Frozen Roasted corn - this is good stuff. it has a nice roasted corn
> flavor - quite often I sauté it in butter then add a small can of diced
> green chilies - Ortega or Hatch if I can find them.
>
> Heavy Cream - years ago # 2 daughter game me a NO charged whipped cream
> maker - like the ones at Starbucks. Once charged it stays fresh for weeks
> and weeks if I don't eat it first.. :-)
>
> Eggs - are usually the least expensive in town, the same with their butter.
>
> There's about 6 thousand things more but I think it's your turn.
>
> Dimitri

The only thing at our local TJ's that's cheaper than we can get
elsewhere are the 'Two Buck Chuck' wines. At holiday time they do stock
some imported biscuits/cookies we like. Occasionally we get a bottle or
two of cooking sauces, but no favourites.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Their candied ginger has quite a bite to it!
>
> They carry jars of Morello (sour) cherries during the summer.
>
> They've got frozen ostrich steaks.
>
> They've got a very good selection of breads and flatbreads.
>
> They USED to carry a Cuban simmer sauce which was fantastic. But it's
> apparently been discontinued -- as someone else mentioned already, TJ's
> often stops carrying items for no apparent reason. They also used to carry
> some of the best white chocolate around. (White chocolate almost always
> seems waxy to me, but this particular brand, Swartenbroeckx, was not waxy.)

Oh those cherries! I used to love those--and also the apricot
sauce....

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I agree completely with your list. Those are some of our favorites too.
Others a

Frozen garlic in little ice cube trays. So quick to pop a couple out
into a marinade or something.

Frozen shrimp goyza (sp?) Pot sticker like things and the veggies and
shrimp taste really fresh not old nor fishy.

Frozen Naan and also the frozen gnocchi with red sauce.

Dried fruits

Their pie crusts. I cannot abide the Pillsbury kind but TJ's are really
good. Just flour, butter, salt and water. They taste homemade and are
always on hand. I used to find them in the refrigerator case but lately
they've been in the freezer section.

Hawaiian marinated beef

Great prices on Niman Ranch bacon

Hummus

marcella

In article >,
"Dimitri" > wrote:

> Lynn from Fargo is about to discover TJ'S
>
> I thought as a public service I would like to start a thread listing what I
> like at TJ'S and how I use it.
>
> Frozen spinach - I think it's one of the best values in the store - I don't
> think I've ever seen a stem.
>
> I just fry some garlic add the spinach, then some salt, lemon juice and a
> splash of balsamic.
>
> Frozen Roasted corn - this is good stuff. it has a nice roasted corn
> flavor - quite often I sauté it in butter then add a small can of diced
> green chilies - Ortega or Hatch if I can find them.
>
> Heavy Cream - years ago # 2 daughter game me a NO charged whipped cream
> maker - like the ones at Starbucks. Once charged it stays fresh for weeks
> and weeks if I don't eat it first.. :-)
>
> Eggs - are usually the least expensive in town, the same with their butter.
>

> There's about 6 thousand things more but I think it's your turn.
>
> Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 11:22:42 -0800, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>Lynn from Fargo is about to discover TJ'S
>
>I thought as a public service I would like to start a thread listing what I
>like at TJ'S and how I use it.

Once you buy cheese at Trader Joe's, you'll realize how much every
other place is ripping you off.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote on Sat, 07 Mar 2009 12:13:03 -0800:

>> Lynn from Fargo is about to discover TJ'S
>>
>> I thought as a public service I would like to start a thread
>> listing what I like at TJ'S and how I use it.

> Once you buy cheese at Trader Joe's, you'll realize how much
> every other place is ripping you off.

Unfortunately, TJs discontinues things that I enjoy, like solid fat-free
feta cheese.The only place I can find that is at a Safeway store and
it's expensive: about $13 a pound.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> I thought as a public service I would like to start a thread listing what I
> like at TJ'S and how I use it.

Olive oil
Nuts
Tuna in curry sauce (both red and yellow; boxed)
Pork gyoza (frozen)
Brie
Chocolate

They used to have good Italian bread sticks but I haven't seen them
recently.

It might just be the store where I shop, but I'm wary of produce.
I've gotten enough that is rotten or close to it, that I'm very
careful about buying TJ's produce, especially if it's packaged in such
a way that I can't see all of it.

pat
Posted to rec.food.cooking

kimberly wrote (with much snippage on my part):

> Eggs
> Heavy Cream
> Frozen Corn
> Roasting Hens & Fryers
> Thin Sliced Sirloin
> Gyoza
> Coconut Macaroons
> TJ's brand jams, jellies and preserves - Especially the triple berry and
> the boysenberry. Also the peanut butter, and my nephews and nieces all
> love the cashew butter.

I haven't tried *any* of those things from TJ's! I think it's about time for
an exploratory shopping trip.

> TJ's is also the best, and often least expensive, place to get things like
> bread (Milton's Multigrain is $2 cheaper than anywhere else on average,
> including Milton's restaurant!), cheese (great selection, very moderately
> priced), wine & alcohol (Pyrat rum for $7- good rum, great price), and
> beverages (Reed's extra ginger Ginger Beer, Virgil's Root Beer, etc...plus
> I *love* the Italian Blood Orange soda. Soooo tasty!). Also a great source
> for good but not expensive chocolate, nuts, dried fruits.

We buy wine there on occasion, and I agree about the breads. I'm afraid I
have to disagree on the Blood Orange Soda; I found that I like Orangina
better. But of course that's a matter of personal taste.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kimberly wrote:

>> (White chocolate almost always seems waxy to me, but this particular
>> brand, Swartenbroeckx, was not waxy.)

> On the white chocolate: Have you ever tried El Rey's white chocolate? Like
> you, I always thought white chocolate was waxy...just sweet, without much
> flavor too. El Rey's chocolate has a bit of complexity, which is nice, and
> the texture is nothing short of lovely. I buy it at Christmas time for
> truffles and it's always great. Just a thought

Yes, El Rey is my favorite brand of white chocolate now. I buy it from
Chocosphere.com, but only very rarely; I don't have much use for white
chocolate most of the time. I used to make a white chocolate cheesecake
marbled with a chunky pistachio syrup, but I haven't done that for years and
years.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Lynn from Fargo is about to discover TJ'S
>
>I thought as a public service I would like to start a thread listing what I
>like at TJ'S and how I use it.

snippage

I just saw this today. What perfect timing
It's a cute little song and video called "If I wrote a commercial for
TJ's"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdB7GDZY3Pk

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 11:08:05 -0700, koko wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 11:22:42 -0800, "Dimitri" >
> wrote:
>
>>Lynn from Fargo is about to discover TJ'S
>>
>>I thought as a public service I would like to start a thread listing what I
>>like at TJ'S and how I use it.
>>

> snippage
>
> I just saw this today. What perfect timing
> It's a cute little song and video called "If I wrote a commercial for
> TJ's"
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdB7GDZY3Pk
>
> koko

very sweet.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"koko" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 11:22:42 -0800, "Dimitri" >
> wrote:
>
>>Lynn from Fargo is about to discover TJ'S
>>
>>I thought as a public service I would like to start a thread listing what
>>like at TJ'S and how I use it.
>>

> snippage
>
> I just saw this today. What perfect timing
> It's a cute little song and video called "If I wrote a commercial for
> TJ's"
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdB7GDZY3Pk
>
> koko

Very cool & very true

What ever happened to my jar of pickled shallots :-(

Dimitri