Old 10-12-2011, 10:04 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Favorite things to do with onions?

Tiger Lily wrote:
On 12/8/2011 8:48 PM, Jacquie wrote:
"Tiger Lily" wrote in message

[ . . . . ]
- vidalia onion & mustard salad dressing (yum)
[ . . . . ]

Google on mustard onion dressing.

families: ~Semper Fi~ https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/

Old 10-12-2011, 10:13 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/10/2011 2:04 AM, Nick Cramer wrote:
Tiger wrote:
On 12/8/2011 8:48 PM, Jacquie wrote:
"Tiger wrote in message

[ . . . . ]
- vidalia onion& mustard salad dressing (yum)
[ . . . . ]

Google on mustard onion dressing.

Nick, i did

help!

Google restricts you by country, someone USA based will get a much
closer 'hit' than i can

i find this when i'm looking for outside of Canada suggestions.........
most annoying that search engines are 'restricting us to the country of
origin'

growl

Old 10-12-2011, 01:34 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tiger wrote:
On 12/8/2011 8:48 PM, Jacquie wrote:
"Tiger wrote in message

[ . . . . ]
- vidalia onion& mustard salad dressing (yum)
[ . . . . ]

Google on mustard onion dressing.

Nick, i did

help!

Google restricts you by country, someone USA based will get a much
closer 'hit' than i can

i find this when i'm looking for outside of Canada
suggestions......... most annoying that search engines are
'restricting us to the country of origin'

growl

In that case I would google "onion mustard dressing US". Sometimes I
have to actually put Australia in a google search to get hits here, lol.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:51 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
On 12/8/2011 8:48 PM, Jacquie wrote:

"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
On 12/7/2011 3:01 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
I love onions. I put them in nearly everything. My favorite are the
white
onions but currently I have yellow ones because they were cheap.

What do you like to do with onions?

- Greek Salad

- Marinated with tomatoes as a spin on greek salad

- onions, garlic, mushrooms and lastly tomatoes with sweet basil stir
fried

- green onions, bacon into scrambled eggs

- vidalia onion & mustard salad dressing (yum)

- trying to think of a meal that onions don't go with..... raw in
hamburgers, cooked into spaghet sauces, curry, meatloaf, shepherds
pie, chicken pot pie, mongolian hot pot.....sliced and put into a
casserole with mushroom soup over pork chops... as a side to steak, yum

Sometimes when I am out of lettuce and we are having Italian, I will
slice onions and tomatoes and marinate in a nice Italian dressing. Nope
there is not much I cook without some kind of onion.
When I make baked or fried cheese I sometimes add sliced green onions.
Or I will make a cheese crisp with a low carb tortilla, and add green
onion to it. I will brown chicken for fajitas and slice onions and
caramelize them slightly , then mix then together and add cheese and
make quesadillas with that mixture, serve it with sour cream and lettuce
tomato and salsa.
Do you have a recipe for the mustard and Vidalia dressing?

unfortunately, i'm desperately looking for the Vidalia/Mustard recipe

the farm that the onions first came from has a brand name (now forgotten
or name lost) and they sold their salad dressing via Costco............ we
stocked up, but everyone LOVED the dressing and we gave them a fresh
bottle

now, Costco doesn't have them

they are E coast USA based

I looked up the recipe...there are a few on this page...do any of them sound
like yours?
http://www.yummly.com/recipes/vidali...stard-dressing

kate

Old 10-12-2011, 11:17 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
[...]

i am SO saving your link here, i'd make the one with cider in it, touch
of cloves, dijon mustard & vidalia onions

kate

Old 11-12-2011, 05:49 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks..I'll try that one first

kate

Old 11-12-2011, 06:16 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ian Field" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
I love onions. I put them in nearly everything. My favorite are the
white onions but currently I have yellow ones because they were cheap.

What do you like to do with onions?

Cheese & onion sarnies with thick slices of onion, loads of salt, pepper &
salad cream.

Chopped onion stirred into mashed potato.

What's a sarnie?

Old 11-12-2011, 06:17 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Ian Field" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
I love onions. I put them in nearly everything. My favorite are the
white onions but currently I have yellow ones because they were cheap.

What do you like to do with onions?

Cheese & onion sarnies with thick slices of onion, loads of salt, pepper
& salad cream.

Chopped onion stirred into mashed potato.

Ah yes, I have enjoyed both of your ideas I used to like mashed potato
with chopped onion with salad and next to the beetroot so the juice would
colour and flavour the mash, pink potato

I love mashed potatoes with onion, cheese, bacon and plenty of black pepper.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:47 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote:
[ ....]

I love mashed potatoes with onion, cheese, bacon and plenty of black
pepper.

Does that mean you're cured!?

Old 11-12-2011, 06:50 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote:
[ ....]

I love mashed potatoes with onion, cheese, bacon and plenty of black
pepper.

Does that mean you're cured!?

I wish! I may be the atypical one here but with my gastroparesis, stuff
like that is easy for me to digest and I get better BG numbers than if I
were to eat some high fiber food. Or meat.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:48 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

http://www.wordsources.info/words-mod-sandwich.html

Old 19-12-2011, 04:05 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/7/2011 5:45 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
wrote in message

"Julie wrote in message
I love onions. I put them in nearly everything. My favorite are the
white onions but currently I have yellow ones because they were cheap.

What do you like to do with onions?

Red onions in salads for me. White or brown in cooked stuff. I use onions
pretty much every day. Lunch& dinner salads plus in every savoury dish I
make. Sometimes have them fried with steak especially if bbq'ing. I also
make onion gravy (brown gravy with lightly fried onions). Nice with
sausages. I roast them whole with roast meats.

Thanks! I try to put red onions in salads but they are often overwhelming.
The best salads I ever had were in Half Moon Bay CA and thereabouts. Two
restaurants there used very thinly sliced onions. I don't know if they
soaked them in cold water or what but they came out tasting sweet and not
hot.

I've read of a type of onions called Vidalia onions. White, but with
much less of the hot flavor than most other white onions.