Old 12-10-2011, 06:25 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Favorite vegetable?

the secret to the carrots in the roast is the temp at which you cook them i
always put down a layer of onions then celery then carrots then plop on the
roast, if on the stove bring it to the boil then turn down to just barely
heating to keep it safe, if you don't disturb the carrots and cook slow they
will stay firm and the meat will cook to tender.

will be looking out for that cupon at costco, even with just the two of us,
those won't go wasted, we both love tomatoes cooked, and dh uses them in
sauce, sometimes for a cheat its prepared sauce with a can of diced tomatoes
and some spices.

as to the potatoes, when we get a bag i refused to pay the way to much price
for individuals, we can throw out two thirds of the bag and be evin with the
individuals, but having said that, when the end is coming to the potatoes, i
steam them with the peels on, and they keep for a while longer in the frig,
or i steam them and make into mashed and freez in reasonable, reasonable for
health not want, and then we don't have to buy again until they are on sale.

not to your original question... i love most vegetables so its easier to
tell you what i don't like, bamboo shoots and things like that with a woody
texture, taste is fine but texture not so much, cooked carrots if they are
plain, they reek of a sour dish rag smell if not coated with something so i
can't get them past my nose, and black eyed peas which i have told of
before... pretty much everything else tastes good to me raw or cooked, and
at most is not wonderful but generally edible, Lee
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
I may have asked this before but I'm going to ask it again. I have a hard
time picking just one.

I do love beans of all kinds. I could eat them every day but I don't
because of the carbs. I eat them less often than I used to. But I do
still eat them once a week. Exception being green and wax beans which I
eat several times a day. Those are Angela's favorites by far so she wants
them often.

I also love beets but don't eat them often either. Nobody else in the
house will eat them. Mostly I get them at salad bars but I do keep a few
cans around just for me.

Used to be peas were a favorite vegetable. I still really like them but
since Angela is allergic to them I don't eat them often either. She did
really like them so I don't like to eat them in front of her. But I do
keep a few cans around. When I make tuna casserole I will put some on my
portion and if my husband is home on his too. But again there is that
carb count.

Onions! I tend to keep several kinds and forms on-hand. I put them in
darned near everything! I think not only do they taste good but they are
good for you.

Carrots. Not so much cooked although when my mom does with pot roast they
are very good. I haven't a clue how she does them. She uses the large
ones cut in sticks. She also puts in potatoes and onion soup mix. The
carrots come out with the roast flavor but they are still partially
crunchy. I also like the potatoes in there. Can't say the same about the
roast. To me it is chewy and underdone, but perhaps that is why the
carrots come out that way? I have tried using those and also the baby
carrots since those are the favorite in this house. They always cook to
mush even when I wait to put them in. And they never develop the deep
flavor that my mom's do. So mostly we eat raw carrots here.

Celery. So versatile! I add this to a variety of things and also eat it
raw.

Peppers. I add these to a lot of things too and I love them raw.

Tomatoes. I love these both cooked and raw. Angela is finally deciding
that she likes the raw ones. Still doesn't like them cooked. She was not
pleased when I said I was getting two cases of organic diced from Costco.
They have an upcoming coupon for buy one (case) get one free. I will
donate one case to the food bank. I also found out they are in need of
cat food. Yay! Have been looking for a place to donate that too.
Ballerina and Jazzy are picky eaters and won't eat all of the Wellness
brand that I stocked up on.

Potatoes. Yes they are high in carbs. These are another thing I could
eat every day. But I don't. I quit buying the large bags. When my
husband was home we could usually use one up before it went bad. But now
we can't. So I buy them a few at a time or a small bag of the little
pearl ones. Those cook up quickly and they are very good. And they don't
seem to spike me.

So those are probably my favorites. What are yours?

Old 12-10-2011, 06:28 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

they are wonderful even as dessert, i currently have a spaghetti squash in
the frig, which is also good as dessert, i have two of the regular ones
waiting to cook on the counter, Lee
"RodS" wrote in message ...
On 10/10/2011 5:10 AM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
In , "Julie

wrote:

I may have asked this before but I'm going to ask it again. I have a
hard
time picking just one.

mushrooms

garlic

onions

carrots

romaine lettuce

bean sprouts...low carb aren't they

Am I the only person that likes pumpkin (squash I think you call them)
boiled, mashed, baked, roasted as soup but never as a dessert :-)

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia

Old 12-10-2011, 06:30 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

celery is a weird one for me, if i am not hungry its sorta bla to not good,
but if i am truly hungry its wonderful to me, Lee
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
On 10/9/2011 3:39 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

I'm allergic to Bell Peppers and i can't stand celery.

Ohhhhhhh. You're the one! I knew there was a celery hater here. I'll
have yours then.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:02 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/12/2011 11:31 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
i want to know what reaction you get from bell peppers, because i haven't
heard of it as an allergin before, thanks, Lee

they are in the belladonna family

i get GERD type symptoms and that "dire rear" problem and such

burping up bell peppers for hours after you ate them starts to get very
wearing LOL

then.......... the other side of the problem........

kate

Old 12-10-2011, 10:04 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
the inner parts of the celery are very nice

the outer parts are very good for cooking in stoup LOL

Interesting. I throw out the inner parts. I eat the outer ones.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:04 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
On 10/12/2011 11:31 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
i want to know what reaction you get from bell peppers, because i haven't
heard of it as an allergin before, thanks, Lee

they are in the belladonna family

i get GERD type symptoms and that "dire rear" problem and such

burping up bell peppers for hours after you ate them starts to get very
wearing LOL

then.......... the other side of the problem........

My mom and friend have the same problem from them.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:25 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

its a new one to me and would suck bigtime as i really like them, as a
matter of fact i was thinkin the kind of meatloaf you make would be good
stuffing for green peppers, pablanos and cabbage rolls, Lee

Old 13-10-2011, 12:00 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tiger Lily wrote:
: the inner parts of the celery are very nice

: the outer parts are very good for cooking in stoup LOL

: kate

I guess "soup" is eitboth soup and stew:-) Ingenious work. I wish I had
thought of it. I just souldn't resist, as it really is a good idea.

Wendy-who lives in a mistyped glass house

: On 10/12/2011 11:30 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
: celery is a weird one for me, if i am not hungry its sorta bla to not good,
: but if i am truly hungry its wonderful to me, Lee
: "Julie wrote in message
: ...
:
: ...

Old 13-10-2011, 12:01 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:

: "Tiger Lily" wrote in message
: ...
: the inner parts of the celery are very nice
:
: the outer parts are very good for cooking in stoup LOL

: Interesting. I throw out the inner parts. I eat the outer ones.
Oh, they are so hood(the celery hearts) particularly the claned solid
white heat at the top (or is it the bottom)

Wendy

Old 13-10-2011, 01:14 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

: "Tiger Lily" wrote in message
: ...
: the inner parts of the celery are very nice
:
: the outer parts are very good for cooking in stoup LOL

: Interesting. I throw out the inner parts. I eat the outer ones.
Oh, they are so hood(the celery hearts) particularly the claned solid
white heat at the top (or is it the bottom)

That's the part I don't like at all. Not crunchy enough. I also love the
crunchy center part of lettuce leaves.

Old 13-10-2011, 01:15 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
its a new one to me and would suck bigtime as i really like them, as a
matter of fact i was thinkin the kind of meatloaf you make would be good
stuffing for green peppers, pablanos and cabbage rolls, Lee

Yes. It would be good!