Old 09-10-2011, 10:39 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Favorite vegetable?

I may have asked this before but I'm going to ask it again. I have a hard
time picking just one.

I do love beans of all kinds. I could eat them every day but I don't
because of the carbs. I eat them less often than I used to. But I do still
eat them once a week. Exception being green and wax beans which I eat
several times a day. Those are Angela's favorites by far so she wants them
often.

I also love beets but don't eat them often either. Nobody else in the house
will eat them. Mostly I get them at salad bars but I do keep a few cans
around just for me.

Used to be peas were a favorite vegetable. I still really like them but
since Angela is allergic to them I don't eat them often either. She did
really like them so I don't like to eat them in front of her. But I do keep
a few cans around. When I make tuna casserole I will put some on my portion
and if my husband is home on his too. But again there is that carb count.

Onions! I tend to keep several kinds and forms on-hand. I put them in
darned near everything! I think not only do they taste good but they are
good for you.

Carrots. Not so much cooked although when my mom does with pot roast they
are very good. I haven't a clue how she does them. She uses the large ones
cut in sticks. She also puts in potatoes and onion soup mix. The carrots
come out with the roast flavor but they are still partially crunchy. I also
like the potatoes in there. Can't say the same about the roast. To me it
is chewy and underdone, but perhaps that is why the carrots come out that
way? I have tried using those and also the baby carrots since those are the
favorite in this house. They always cook to mush even when I wait to put
them in. And they never develop the deep flavor that my mom's do. So
mostly we eat raw carrots here.

Celery. So versatile! I add this to a variety of things and also eat it
raw.

Peppers. I add these to a lot of things too and I love them raw.

Tomatoes. I love these both cooked and raw. Angela is finally deciding
that she likes the raw ones. Still doesn't like them cooked. She was not
pleased when I said I was getting two cases of organic diced from Costco.
They have an upcoming coupon for buy one (case) get one free. I will donate
one case to the food bank. I also found out they are in need of cat food.
Yay! Have been looking for a place to donate that too. Ballerina and Jazzy
are picky eaters and won't eat all of the Wellness brand that I stocked up
on.

Potatoes. Yes they are high in carbs. These are another thing I could eat
every day. But I don't. I quit buying the large bags. When my husband was
home we could usually use one up before it went bad. But now we can't. So
I buy them a few at a time or a small bag of the little pearl ones. Those
cook up quickly and they are very good. And they don't seem to spike me.

So those are probably my favorites. What are yours?

Old 09-10-2011, 11:00 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, green beans, onions, sweet
potato, tomatoes, peppers, celery, cucumber, radishes and I'll eat
pretty much everything else Not bad for someone who only ate potato,
canned peas and very ripe tomato slices between white bread - and eaten
hours after it was made to let it go soggy, until I was 21....

Old 09-10-2011, 08:10 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article , "Julie Bove"
wrote:

I may have asked this before but I'm going to ask it again. I have a hard
time picking just one.

mushrooms

garlic

onions

carrots

romaine lettuce

bean sprouts...low carb aren't they
Old 09-10-2011, 08:50 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
Broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, green beans, onions, sweet
potato, tomatoes, peppers, celery, cucumber, radishes and I'll eat
pretty much everything else Not bad for someone who only ate potato,
canned peas and very ripe tomato slices between white bread - and eaten
hours after it was made to let it go soggy, until I was 21....

Thanks! I love radishes but rarely ever eat them because for some odd
reason they give me nightmares.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:11 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"chizcurlz" wrote in message

These vegetables and fruits are my favorites and they prevent diabetes:
Pineapple, Lettuce, Tomato, Bitter Melon, Onion and Ginger.

What a bunch of hooey!

Old 10-10-2011, 11:26 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/10/2011 5:10 AM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
In , "Julie
wrote:

I may have asked this before but I'm going to ask it again. I have a hard
time picking just one.

mushrooms

garlic

onions

carrots

romaine lettuce

bean sprouts...low carb aren't they

Am I the only person that likes pumpkin (squash I think you call them)
boiled, mashed, baked, roasted as soup but never as a dessert :-)

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia
Old 11-10-2011, 12:58 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"chizcurlz" wrote in message

These vegetables and fruits are my favorites and they prevent diabetes:
Pineapple, Lettuce, Tomato, Bitter Melon, Onion and Ginger.

No, they do not.

Cheri

Old 11-10-2011, 01:51 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

I may have asked this before but I'm going to ask it again. I have a
hard
time picking just one.

mushrooms

garlic

onions

carrots

romaine lettuce

bean sprouts...low carb aren't they

Am I the only person that likes pumpkin (squash I think you call them)
boiled, mashed, baked, roasted as soup but never as a dessert :-)

I very much dislike squash.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:04 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:

: "RodS" wrote in message ...
: On 10/10/2011 5:10 AM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
: In , "Julie
:
: wrote:
:
: I may have asked this before but I'm going to ask it again. I have a
: hard
: time picking just one.
:
: mushrooms
:
: garlic
:
: onions
:
: carrots
:
: romaine lettuce
:
: bean sprouts...low carb aren't they
:
: Am I the only person that likes pumpkin (squash I think you call them)
: boiled, mashed, baked, roasted as soup but never as a dessert :-)

: I very much dislike squash.

I, personally love it, but find mos of the , what we call winter
squashes(hard shelled ones) I find are too caraby for me unless I eat a
fairly small portion. spaghetti squash is an exception to this and I can
eat what we call pumpkin in a custard version as a dessert without
harm.

Wendy
Old 11-10-2011, 07:33 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/9/2011 3:39 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

I'm allergic to Bell Peppers and i can't stand celery.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:35 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/10/2011 11:03 AM, chizcurlz wrote:
These vegetables and fruits are my favorites and they prevent diabetes:
Pineapple, Lettuce, Tomato, Bitter Melon, Onion and Ginger.

There are many types of Lettuce, some of which are actually BAD for us.
could you specify further?
Old 11-10-2011, 07:38 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

I may have asked this before but I'm going to ask it again. I have a
hard
time picking just one.

mushrooms

garlic

onions

carrots

romaine lettuce

bean sprouts...low carb aren't they

Am I the only person that likes pumpkin (squash I think you call them)
boiled, mashed, baked, roasted as soup but never as a dessert :-)

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia

curried butternut squash soup.......... OMG

we have 2 types of pumpkin here, cooking and not! LOL and i love pumpkin
pie, the low cal pumpkin mousse, and pumpkin soup

acorn squash
hubbard squash
oh..... there are 4 kinds i can 'see' but not name

then, sweet potato chips/fries done in the oven and dipped in a chipolte
sauce......... wowser!

kate
Old 11-10-2011, 07:58 AM
Member

My favorite vegetables are carrot and pumpkin, i always like to get them for my lunch.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:32 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
[...]

Ohhhhhhh. You're the one! I knew there was a celery hater here. I'll have
yours then.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:08 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"sasha001" wrote in message

My favorite vegetables are carrot and pumpkin, i always like to get them
for my lunch.

Thanks!