Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Favorite vegetable?

I may have asked this before but I'm going to ask it again. I have a hard
time picking just one.

I do love beans of all kinds. I could eat them every day but I don't
because of the carbs. I eat them less often than I used to. But I do still
eat them once a week. Exception being green and wax beans which I eat
several times a day. Those are Angela's favorites by far so she wants them
often.

I also love beets but don't eat them often either. Nobody else in the house
will eat them. Mostly I get them at salad bars but I do keep a few cans
around just for me.

Used to be peas were a favorite vegetable. I still really like them but
since Angela is allergic to them I don't eat them often either. She did
really like them so I don't like to eat them in front of her. But I do keep
a few cans around. When I make tuna casserole I will put some on my portion
and if my husband is home on his too. But again there is that carb count.

Onions! I tend to keep several kinds and forms on-hand. I put them in
darned near everything! I think not only do they taste good but they are
good for you.

Carrots. Not so much cooked although when my mom does with pot roast they
are very good. I haven't a clue how she does them. She uses the large ones
cut in sticks. She also puts in potatoes and onion soup mix. The carrots
come out with the roast flavor but they are still partially crunchy. I also
like the potatoes in there. Can't say the same about the roast. To me it
is chewy and underdone, but perhaps that is why the carrots come out that
way? I have tried using those and also the baby carrots since those are the
favorite in this house. They always cook to mush even when I wait to put
them in. And they never develop the deep flavor that my mom's do. So
mostly we eat raw carrots here.

Celery. So versatile! I add this to a variety of things and also eat it
raw.

Peppers. I add these to a lot of things too and I love them raw.

Tomatoes. I love these both cooked and raw. Angela is finally deciding
that she likes the raw ones. Still doesn't like them cooked. She was not
pleased when I said I was getting two cases of organic diced from Costco.
They have an upcoming coupon for buy one (case) get one free. I will donate
one case to the food bank. I also found out they are in need of cat food.
Yay! Have been looking for a place to donate that too. Ballerina and Jazzy
are picky eaters and won't eat all of the Wellness brand that I stocked up
on.

Potatoes. Yes they are high in carbs. These are another thing I could eat
every day. But I don't. I quit buying the large bags. When my husband was
home we could usually use one up before it went bad. But now we can't. So
I buy them a few at a time or a small bag of the little pearl ones. Those
cook up quickly and they are very good. And they don't seem to spike me.

So those are probably my favorites. What are yours?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, green beans, onions, sweet
potato, tomatoes, peppers, celery, cucumber, radishes and I'll eat
pretty much everything else Not bad for someone who only ate potato,
canned peas and very ripe tomato slices between white bread - and eaten
hours after it was made to let it go soggy, until I was 21....

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> [...]
> She was not pleased when I said I was getting two cases of organic
> diced from Costco. They have an upcoming coupon for buy one (case) get
> one free. I will donate one case to the food bank. I also found out
> they are in need of cat food. Yay! Have been looking for a place to
> donate that too. Ballerina and Jazzy are picky eaters and won't eat
> all of the Wellness brand that I stocked up on.
>
> Potatoes. Yes they are high in carbs. These are another thing I
> could eat every day. But I don't. I quit buying the large bags.
> When my husband was home we could usually use one up before it went
> bad. But now we can't. So I buy them a few at a time or a small bag
> of the little pearl ones. Those cook up quickly and they are very
> good. And they don't seem to spike me.
>
> So those are probably my favorites. What are yours?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> I may have asked this before but I'm going to ask it again. I have a hard
> time picking just one.

mushrooms

garlic

onions

carrots

romaine lettuce

bean sprouts...low carb aren't they
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, green beans, onions, sweet
> potato, tomatoes, peppers, celery, cucumber, radishes and I'll eat
> pretty much everything else Not bad for someone who only ate potato,
> canned peas and very ripe tomato slices between white bread - and eaten
> hours after it was made to let it go soggy, until I was 21....

Thanks! I love radishes but rarely ever eat them because for some odd
reason they give me nightmares.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"chizcurlz" > wrote in message

> These vegetables and fruits are my favorites and they prevent diabetes:
> Pineapple, Lettuce, Tomato, Bitter Melon, Onion and Ginger.

What a bunch of hooey!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/10/2011 5:10 AM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
> In >, "Julie >
> wrote:
>
>> I may have asked this before but I'm going to ask it again. I have a hard
>> time picking just one.

> mushrooms
>
> garlic
>
> onions
>
> carrots
>
> romaine lettuce
>
> bean sprouts...low carb aren't they

Am I the only person that likes pumpkin (squash I think you call them)
boiled, mashed, baked, roasted as soup but never as a dessert :-)

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"chizcurlz" > wrote in message

> These vegetables and fruits are my favorites and they prevent diabetes:
> Pineapple, Lettuce, Tomato, Bitter Melon, Onion and Ginger.

No, they do not.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"RodS" > wrote in message ...
> On 10/10/2011 5:10 AM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
>> In >, "Julie
>> >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I may have asked this before but I'm going to ask it again. I have a
>>> hard
>>> time picking just one.

>> mushrooms
>>
>> garlic
>>
>> onions
>>
>> carrots
>>
>> romaine lettuce
>>
>> bean sprouts...low carb aren't they

> Am I the only person that likes pumpkin (squash I think you call them)
> boiled, mashed, baked, roasted as soup but never as a dessert :-)

I very much dislike squash.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "RodS" > wrote in message ...
: > On 10/10/2011 5:10 AM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
: >> In >, "Julie
: >> >
: >> wrote:
: >>
: >>> I may have asked this before but I'm going to ask it again. I have a
: >>> hard
: >>> time picking just one.
: >>
: >> mushrooms
: >>
: >> garlic
: >>
: >> onions
: >>
: >> carrots
: >>
: >> romaine lettuce
: >>
: >> bean sprouts...low carb aren't they
: >
: > Am I the only person that likes pumpkin (squash I think you call them)
: > boiled, mashed, baked, roasted as soup but never as a dessert :-)

: I very much dislike squash.

I, personally love it, but find mos of the , what we call winter
squashes(hard shelled ones) I find are too caraby for me unless I eat a
fairly small portion. spaghetti squash is an exception to this and I can
eat what we call pumpkin in a custard version as a dessert without
harm.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/9/2011 3:39 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> [...]
> pleased when I said I was getting two cases of organic diced from Costco.
> They have an upcoming coupon for buy one (case) get one free. I will donate
> one case to the food bank. I also found out they are in need of cat food.
> Yay! Have been looking for a place to donate that too. Ballerina and Jazzy
> are picky eaters and won't eat all of the Wellness brand that I stocked up
> on.
>
> Potatoes. Yes they are high in carbs. These are another thing I could eat
> every day. But I don't. I quit buying the large bags. When my husband was
> home we could usually use one up before it went bad. But now we can't. So
> I buy them a few at a time or a small bag of the little pearl ones. Those
> cook up quickly and they are very good. And they don't seem to spike me.
>
> So those are probably my favorites. What are yours?

I'm allergic to Bell Peppers and i can't stand celery.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/10/2011 11:03 AM, chizcurlz wrote:
> These vegetables and fruits are my favorites and they prevent diabetes:
> Pineapple, Lettuce, Tomato, Bitter Melon, Onion and Ginger.

There are many types of Lettuce, some of which are actually BAD for us.
could you specify further?
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/10/2011 4:26 PM, RodS wrote:
> On 10/10/2011 5:10 AM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
>> In >, "Julie
>> >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I may have asked this before but I'm going to ask it again. I have a
>>> hard
>>> time picking just one.

>> mushrooms
>>
>> garlic
>>
>> onions
>>
>> carrots
>>
>> romaine lettuce
>>
>> bean sprouts...low carb aren't they

> Am I the only person that likes pumpkin (squash I think you call them)
> boiled, mashed, baked, roasted as soup but never as a dessert :-)
>
> (- -)
> =m=(_)=m=
> RodS T2
> Australia

curried butternut squash soup.......... OMG

we have 2 types of pumpkin here, cooking and not! LOL and i love pumpkin
pie, the low cal pumpkin mousse, and pumpkin soup

acorn squash
hubbard squash
oh..... there are 4 kinds i can 'see' but not name

then, sweet potato chips/fries done in the oven and dipped in a chipolte
sauce......... wowser!

kate
Member

My favorite vegetables are carrot and pumpkin, i always like to get them for my lunch.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> [...]
>> Yay! Have been looking for a place to donate that too. Ballerina and
>> Jazzy
>> are picky eaters and won't eat all of the Wellness brand that I stocked
>> up
>> on.
>>
>> Potatoes. Yes they are high in carbs. These are another thing I could
>> eat
>> every day. But I don't. I quit buying the large bags. When my husband
>> was
>> home we could usually use one up before it went bad. But now we can't.
>> So
>> I buy them a few at a time or a small bag of the little pearl ones.
>> Those
>> cook up quickly and they are very good. And they don't seem to spike me.
>>
>> So those are probably my favorites. What are yours?
>>

> I'm allergic to Bell Peppers and i can't stand celery.

Ohhhhhhh. You're the one! I knew there was a celery hater here. I'll have
yours then.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"sasha001" > wrote in message

> My favorite vegetables are carrot and pumpkin, i always like to get them
> for my lunch.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

the secret to the carrots in the roast is the temp at which you cook them i
always put down a layer of onions then celery then carrots then plop on the
roast, if on the stove bring it to the boil then turn down to just barely
heating to keep it safe, if you don't disturb the carrots and cook slow they
will stay firm and the meat will cook to tender.

will be looking out for that cupon at costco, even with just the two of us,
those won't go wasted, we both love tomatoes cooked, and dh uses them in
sauce, sometimes for a cheat its prepared sauce with a can of diced tomatoes
and some spices.

as to the potatoes, when we get a bag i refused to pay the way to much price
for individuals, we can throw out two thirds of the bag and be evin with the
individuals, but having said that, when the end is coming to the potatoes, i
steam them with the peels on, and they keep for a while longer in the frig,
or i steam them and make into mashed and freez in reasonable, reasonable for
health not want, and then we don't have to buy again until they are on sale.

not to your original question... i love most vegetables so its easier to
tell you what i don't like, bamboo shoots and things like that with a woody
texture, taste is fine but texture not so much, cooked carrots if they are
plain, they reek of a sour dish rag smell if not coated with something so i
can't get them past my nose, and black eyed peas which i have told of
before... pretty much everything else tastes good to me raw or cooked, and
at most is not wonderful but generally edible, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> [...]
> pleased when I said I was getting two cases of organic diced from Costco.
> They have an upcoming coupon for buy one (case) get one free. I will
> donate one case to the food bank. I also found out they are in need of
> cat food. Yay! Have been looking for a place to donate that too.
> Ballerina and Jazzy are picky eaters and won't eat all of the Wellness
> brand that I stocked up on.
>
> Potatoes. Yes they are high in carbs. These are another thing I could
> eat every day. But I don't. I quit buying the large bags. When my
> husband was home we could usually use one up before it went bad. But now
> we can't. So I buy them a few at a time or a small bag of the little
> pearl ones. Those cook up quickly and they are very good. And they don't
> seem to spike me.
>
> So those are probably my favorites. What are yours?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

they are wonderful even as dessert, i currently have a spaghetti squash in
the frig, which is also good as dessert, i have two of the regular ones
waiting to cook on the counter, Lee
"RodS" > wrote in message ...
> On 10/10/2011 5:10 AM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
>> In >, "Julie
>> >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I may have asked this before but I'm going to ask it again. I have a
>>> hard
>>> time picking just one.

>> mushrooms
>>
>> garlic
>>
>> onions
>>
>> carrots
>>
>> romaine lettuce
>>
>> bean sprouts...low carb aren't they

> Am I the only person that likes pumpkin (squash I think you call them)
> boiled, mashed, baked, roasted as soup but never as a dessert :-)
>
> (- -)
> =m=(_)=m=
> RodS T2
> Australia

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

celery is a weird one for me, if i am not hungry its sorta bla to not good,
but if i am truly hungry its wonderful to me, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> [...]
>>> are picky eaters and won't eat all of the Wellness brand that I stocked
>>> up
>>> on.
>>>
>>> Potatoes. Yes they are high in carbs. These are another thing I could
>>> eat
>>> every day. But I don't. I quit buying the large bags. When my husband
>>> was
>>> home we could usually use one up before it went bad. But now we can't.
>>> So
>>> I buy them a few at a time or a small bag of the little pearl ones.
>>> Those
>>> cook up quickly and they are very good. And they don't seem to spike
>>> me.
>>>
>>> So those are probably my favorites. What are yours?
>>>

>> I'm allergic to Bell Peppers and i can't stand celery.

> Ohhhhhhh. You're the one! I knew there was a celery hater here. I'll

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i want to know what reaction you get from bell peppers, because i haven't
heard of it as an allergin before, thanks, Lee
"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> [...]
>> Yay! Have been looking for a place to donate that too. Ballerina and
>> Jazzy
>> are picky eaters and won't eat all of the Wellness brand that I stocked
>> up
>> on.
>>
>> Potatoes. Yes they are high in carbs. These are another thing I could
>> eat
>> every day. But I don't. I quit buying the large bags. When my husband
>> was
>> home we could usually use one up before it went bad. But now we can't.
>> So
>> I buy them a few at a time or a small bag of the little pearl ones.
>> Those
>> cook up quickly and they are very good. And they don't seem to spike me.
>>
>> So those are probably my favorites. What are yours?
>>

> I'm allergic to Bell Peppers and i can't stand celery.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

the inner parts of the celery are very nice

the outer parts are very good for cooking in stoup LOL

kate

On 10/12/2011 11:30 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
> celery is a weird one for me, if i am not hungry its sorta bla to not good,
> but if i am truly hungry its wonderful to me, Lee
> "Julie > wrote in message

>>> I'm allergic to Bell Peppers and i can't stand celery.

>> Ohhhhhhh. You're the one! I knew there was a celery hater here. I'll
>> have yours then.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/12/2011 11:31 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
> i want to know what reaction you get from bell peppers, because i haven't
> heard of it as an allergin before, thanks, Lee

they are in the belladonna family

i get GERD type symptoms and that "dire rear" problem and such

burping up bell peppers for hours after you ate them starts to get very
wearing LOL

then.......... the other side of the problem........

kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thanks, never heard of that, glad thats not one i am allergic to, lol, Lee
"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 10/12/2011 11:31 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> i want to know what reaction you get from bell peppers, because i haven't
>> heard of it as an allergin before, thanks, Lee

> they are in the belladonna family
>
> i get GERD type symptoms and that "dire rear" problem and such
>
> burping up bell peppers for hours after you ate them starts to get very
> wearing LOL
>
> then.......... the other side of the problem........
>
> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> the secret to the carrots in the roast is the temp at which you cook them
> i always put down a layer of onions then celery then carrots then plop on
> the roast, if on the stove bring it to the boil then turn down to just
> barely heating to keep it safe, if you don't disturb the carrots and cook
> slow they will stay firm and the meat will cook to tender.
>
> will be looking out for that cupon at costco, even with just the two of
> us, those won't go wasted, we both love tomatoes cooked, and dh uses them
> in sauce, sometimes for a cheat its prepared sauce with a can of diced
> tomatoes and some spices.
>
> as to the potatoes, when we get a bag i refused to pay the way to much
> price for individuals, we can throw out two thirds of the bag and be evin
> with the individuals, but having said that, when the end is coming to the
> potatoes, i steam them with the peels on, and they keep for a while longer
> in the frig, or i steam them and make into mashed and freez in reasonable,
> reasonable for health not want, and then we don't have to buy again until
> they are on sale.
>
> not to your original question... i love most vegetables so its easier to
> tell you what i don't like, bamboo shoots and things like that with a
> woody texture, taste is fine but texture not so much, cooked carrots if
> they are plain, they reek of a sour dish rag smell if not coated with
> something so i can't get them past my nose, and black eyed peas which i
> have told of before... pretty much everything else tastes good to me raw
> or cooked, and at most is not wonderful but generally edible, Lee

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> the inner parts of the celery are very nice
>
> the outer parts are very good for cooking in stoup LOL

Interesting. I throw out the inner parts. I eat the outer ones.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 10/12/2011 11:31 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> i want to know what reaction you get from bell peppers, because i haven't
>> heard of it as an allergin before, thanks, Lee

> they are in the belladonna family
>
> i get GERD type symptoms and that "dire rear" problem and such
>
> burping up bell peppers for hours after you ate them starts to get very
> wearing LOL
>
> then.......... the other side of the problem........

My mom and friend have the same problem from them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

its a new one to me and would suck bigtime as i really like them, as a
matter of fact i was thinkin the kind of meatloaf you make would be good
stuffing for green peppers, pablanos and cabbage rolls, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> On 10/12/2011 11:31 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>>> i want to know what reaction you get from bell peppers, because i
>>> haven't
>>> heard of it as an allergin before, thanks, Lee

>> they are in the belladonna family
>>
>> i get GERD type symptoms and that "dire rear" problem and such
>>
>> burping up bell peppers for hours after you ate them starts to get very
>> wearing LOL
>>
>> then.......... the other side of the problem........

> My mom and friend have the same problem from them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tiger Lily > wrote:
: the inner parts of the celery are very nice

: the outer parts are very good for cooking in stoup LOL

: kate

I guess "soup" is eitboth soup and stew:-) Ingenious work. I wish I had
thought of it. I just souldn't resist, as it really is a good idea.

Wendy-who lives in a mistyped glass house

: On 10/12/2011 11:30 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
: > celery is a weird one for me, if i am not hungry its sorta bla to not good,
: > but if i am truly hungry its wonderful to me, Lee
: > "Julie > wrote in message
: > ...
: >>
: >> "Tiger > wrote in message
: >> ...
: >>> On 10/9/2011 3:39 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
: >>>> I may have asked this before but I'm going to ask it again. I have a
: >>>> hard
: >>>> time picking just one.
: >>>>
[...]

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
: ...
: > the inner parts of the celery are very nice
: >
: > the outer parts are very good for cooking in stoup LOL

: Interesting. I throw out the inner parts. I eat the outer ones.
Oh, they are so hood(the celery hearts) particularly the claned solid
white heat at the top (or is it the bottom)

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > the inner parts of the celery are very nice
> : >
> : > the outer parts are very good for cooking in stoup LOL
>
> : Interesting. I throw out the inner parts. I eat the outer ones.
> Oh, they are so hood(the celery hearts) particularly the claned solid
> white heat at the top (or is it the bottom)

That's the part I don't like at all. Not crunchy enough. I also love the
crunchy center part of lettuce leaves.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> its a new one to me and would suck bigtime as i really like them, as a
> matter of fact i was thinkin the kind of meatloaf you make would be good
> stuffing for green peppers, pablanos and cabbage rolls, Lee

Yes. It would be good!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I have a love/hate relationship with the entire bella donna family

i have been instructed to never even TRY eggplant due to family history

maybe if i have an EpiPen with me i could try Moussaka just once????????
it looks SO good!

kate

On 10/12/2011 1:38 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
> thanks, never heard of that, glad thats not one i am allergic to, lol, Lee
> "Tiger > wrote in message
>> On 10/12/2011 11:31 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>>> i want to know what reaction you get from bell peppers, because i haven't
>>> heard of it as an allergin before, thanks, Lee

>> they are in the belladonna family
>>
>> i get GERD type symptoms and that "dire rear" problem and such
>>
>> burping up bell peppers for hours after you ate them starts to get very
>> wearing LOL
>>
>> then.......... the other side of the problem........
>>
>> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

whimper

ok, i'm getting some more feta cheese stuffed jalapeno peppers or the
red chili peppers

why can i eat those? oh......... not belladonna family, chili pepper family

kate (making a shopping list)

oh
and get this one...............know those oven roasted red peppers you
can get??? i can eat a couple slices of those no problem

i would REALLY like to know what is being changed by each type of
cooking and what isn't changed by not cooking different colours of bell
peppers

sigh

On 10/12/2011 3:25 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
> its a new one to me and would suck bigtime as i really like them, as a
> matter of fact i was thinkin the kind of meatloaf you make would be good
> stuffing for green peppers, pablanos and cabbage rolls, Lee
> "Julie > wrote in message

>>> they are in the belladonna family
>>>
>>> i get GERD type symptoms and that "dire rear" problem and such
>>>
>>> burping up bell peppers for hours after you ate them starts to get very
>>> wearing LOL
>>>
>>> then.......... the other side of the problem........

>> My mom and friend have the same problem from them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/12/2011 5:00 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> Tiger > wrote:
> : the inner parts of the celery are very nice
>
> : the outer parts are very good for cooking in stoup LOL
>
> : kate
>
> I guess "stoup" is eithboth soup and stew:-) Ingenious work. I wish I had
> thought of it. I just couldn't resist, as it really is a good idea.
>
> Wendy-who lives in a mistyped glass house

Wendy, i typically start off with a HUGE pot of broth stock

by time i go 'oh, this would be good' i end up with............. well,
it started as soup but is sorta thicker now and i have no more broth,
but i'm not going to add dumplings (whimper, i love dumplings, i would
eat them ALL)

so, i make Stoup

and everyone who has had my Stoup comes back the next day for another
round

TG the huge stock pot contains enough for 2 LARGE bowls for 5 people for
2 nights LOL

recipe? it's the 'clean the fridge out' recipe

i'm glad i love soup/stoup and i don't thicken the broth to a gravy, so
i can't call it stew.......... the contents thicken the stoup for me

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/12/2011 5:01 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> Julie > wrote:
>
> : "Tiger > wrote in message
> : ...
> :> the inner parts of the celery are very nice
> :>
> :> the outer parts are very good for cooking in stoup LOL
>
> : Interesting. I throw out the inner parts. I eat the outer ones.
> Oh, they are so hood(the celery hearts) particularly the claned solid
> white heat at the top (or is it the bottom)
>
> Wendy

they are the ONLY parts to eat

i detest that stringy sh** from the outer layers

but, those outer layers are good for flavouring the broth, then tossing out

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/12/2011 6:14 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "W. > wrote in message
>> Julie > wrote:
>>
>> : "Tiger > wrote in message
>> : ...
>> :> the inner parts of the celery are very nice
>> :>
>> :> the outer parts are very good for cooking in stoup LOL
>>
>> : Interesting. I throw out the inner parts. I eat the outer ones.
>> Oh, they are so hood(the celery hearts) particularly the claned solid
>> white heat at the top (or is it the bottom)

> That's the part I don't like at all. Not crunchy enough. I also love the
> crunchy center part of lettuce leaves.

crunchy or stringy?

how old is the celery hearts you are eating?????????

i love the CRUNCHY and sweet celery hearts

but, we each have our own likes

enjoy yours

kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 10/12/2011 5:01 PM, W. Baker wrote:
>> Julie > wrote:
>>
>> : "Tiger > wrote in message
>> : ...
>> :> the inner parts of the celery are very nice
>> :>
>> :> the outer parts are very good for cooking in stoup LOL
>>
>> : Interesting. I throw out the inner parts. I eat the outer ones.
>> Oh, they are so hood(the celery hearts) particularly the claned solid
>> white heat at the top (or is it the bottom)
>>
>> Wendy
>>

> they are the ONLY parts to eat
>
> i detest that stringy sh** from the outer layers
>
> but, those outer layers are good for flavouring the broth, then tossing
> out

I love the strings unless they get stuck in my teeth.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 10/12/2011 6:14 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "W. > wrote in message
>>> Julie > wrote:
>>>
>>> : "Tiger > wrote in message
>>> : ...
>>> :> the inner parts of the celery are very nice
>>> :>
>>> :> the outer parts are very good for cooking in stoup LOL
>>>
>>> : Interesting. I throw out the inner parts. I eat the outer ones.
>>> Oh, they are so hood(the celery hearts) particularly the claned solid
>>> white heat at the top (or is it the bottom)

>> That's the part I don't like at all. Not crunchy enough. I also love
>> the
>> crunchy center part of lettuce leaves.
>>

> crunchy or stringy?
>
> how old is the celery hearts you are eating?????????
>
> i love the CRUNCHY and sweet celery hearts
>
> but, we each have our own likes
>
> enjoy yours

It's just the really thin inner parts that I don't use. I don't generally
buy the hearts though unless the whole celery looks bad. I really do prefer
the outer parts.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/13/2011 2:02 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Tiger > wrote in message
>> On 10/12/2011 5:01 PM, W. Baker wrote:
>>> Julie > wrote:
>>>
>>> : "Tiger > wrote in message
>>> : ...
>>> :> the inner parts of the celery are very nice
>>> :>
>>> :> the outer parts are very good for cooking in stoup LOL
>>>
>>> : Interesting. I throw out the inner parts. I eat the outer ones.
>>> Oh, they are so hood(the celery hearts) particularly the claned solid
>>> white heat at the top (or is it the bottom)
>>>
>>> Wendy
>>>

>> they are the ONLY parts to eat
>>
>> i detest that stringy sh** from the outer layers
>>
>> but, those outer layers are good for flavouring the broth, then tossing
>> out

> I love the strings unless they get stuck in my teeth.

wow, sounds like you have found the perfect food for you!

that's great!

i love so many different foods that i don't really miss celery hearts
anymore (unless they are on sale and i want some)

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/13/2011 2:03 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Tiger > wrote in message

>>> That's the part I don't like at all. Not crunchy enough. I also love
>>> the
>>> crunchy center part of lettuce leaves.
>>>

>> crunchy or stringy?
>>
>> how old is the celery hearts you are eating?????????
>>
>> i love the CRUNCHY and sweet celery hearts
>>
>> but, we each have our own likes
>>
>> enjoy yours

> It's just the really thin inner parts that I don't use. I don't generally
> buy the hearts though unless the whole celery looks bad. I really do prefer
> the outer parts.

You need to find a retired neighbour who would love the hearts!

I often buy a 'flat' of whatever is on sale as i get 5 times more than
the individual portions will allow.

We have a couple of 90+ range folks on our street, i split the flat into
3, come out ahead and there is NO waste and the seniors LOVE the 'treat'
that they cannot afford

we have to take care of each other........... too many of us have
forgotten that responsibility.............. i'm on disability, don't go
on about how 'nice it is you can afford that'

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 10/13/2011 2:03 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> crunchy or stringy?
>>>
>>> how old is the celery hearts you are eating?????????
>>>
>>> i love the CRUNCHY and sweet celery hearts
>>>
>>> but, we each have our own likes
>>>
>>> enjoy yours

>> It's just the really thin inner parts that I don't use. I don't
>> generally
>> buy the hearts though unless the whole celery looks bad. I really do
>> prefer
>> the outer parts.
>>

> You need to find a retired neighbour who would love the hearts!
>
> I often buy a 'flat' of whatever is on sale as i get 5 times more than the
> individual portions will allow.
>
> We have a couple of 90+ range folks on our street, i split the flat into
> 3, come out ahead and there is NO waste and the seniors LOVE the 'treat'
> that they cannot afford
>
> we have to take care of each other........... too many of us have
> forgotten that responsibility.............. i'm on disability, don't go on
> about how 'nice it is you can afford that'

No retired neighbors that I know of. But why would they not be able to
afford celery? It's not expensive!