Old 13-10-2011, 08:39 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Favorite vegetable?

I have a love/hate relationship with the entire bella donna family

i have been instructed to never even TRY eggplant due to family history

maybe if i have an EpiPen with me i could try Moussaka just once????????
it looks SO good!

kate

On 10/12/2011 1:38 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
thanks, never heard of that, glad thats not one i am allergic to, lol, Lee
"Tiger wrote in message
On 10/12/2011 11:31 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
i want to know what reaction you get from bell peppers, because i haven't
heard of it as an allergin before, thanks, Lee

they are in the belladonna family

i get GERD type symptoms and that "dire rear" problem and such

burping up bell peppers for hours after you ate them starts to get very
wearing LOL

then.......... the other side of the problem........

kate

Old 13-10-2011, 08:43 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

whimper

ok, i'm getting some more feta cheese stuffed jalapeno peppers or the
red chili peppers

why can i eat those? oh......... not belladonna family, chili pepper family

kate (making a shopping list)

oh
and get this one...............know those oven roasted red peppers you
can get??? i can eat a couple slices of those no problem

i would REALLY like to know what is being changed by each type of
cooking and what isn't changed by not cooking different colours of bell
peppers

sigh

On 10/12/2011 3:25 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
its a new one to me and would suck bigtime as i really like them, as a
matter of fact i was thinkin the kind of meatloaf you make would be good
stuffing for green peppers, pablanos and cabbage rolls, Lee
"Julie wrote in message

"Tiger wrote in message
On 10/12/2011 11:31 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
i want to know what reaction you get from bell peppers, because i
haven't
heard of it as an allergin before, thanks, Lee

they are in the belladonna family

i get GERD type symptoms and that "dire rear" problem and such

burping up bell peppers for hours after you ate them starts to get very
wearing LOL

then.......... the other side of the problem........

My mom and friend have the same problem from them.

Old 13-10-2011, 08:50 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/12/2011 5:00 PM, W. Baker wrote:
Tiger wrote:
: the inner parts of the celery are very nice

: the outer parts are very good for cooking in stoup LOL

: kate

I guess "stoup" is eithboth soup and stew:-) Ingenious work. I wish I had
thought of it. I just couldn't resist, as it really is a good idea.

Wendy-who lives in a mistyped glass house

Wendy, i typically start off with a HUGE pot of broth stock

by time i go 'oh, this would be good' i end up with............. well,
it started as soup but is sorta thicker now and i have no more broth,
but i'm not going to add dumplings (whimper, i love dumplings, i would
eat them ALL)

so, i make Stoup

and everyone who has had my Stoup comes back the next day for another
round

TG the huge stock pot contains enough for 2 LARGE bowls for 5 people for
2 nights LOL

recipe? it's the 'clean the fridge out' recipe

i'm glad i love soup/stoup and i don't thicken the broth to a gravy, so
i can't call it stew.......... the contents thicken the stoup for me

kate
Old 13-10-2011, 08:51 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/12/2011 5:01 PM, W. Baker wrote:
Julie wrote:

: "Tiger wrote in message
: ...
: the inner parts of the celery are very nice
:
: the outer parts are very good for cooking in stoup LOL

: Interesting. I throw out the inner parts. I eat the outer ones.
Oh, they are so hood(the celery hearts) particularly the claned solid
white heat at the top (or is it the bottom)

Wendy

they are the ONLY parts to eat

i detest that stringy sh** from the outer layers

but, those outer layers are good for flavouring the broth, then tossing out

kate
Old 13-10-2011, 08:52 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/12/2011 6:14 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
"W. wrote in message
Julie wrote:

: "Tiger wrote in message
: ...
: the inner parts of the celery are very nice
:
: the outer parts are very good for cooking in stoup LOL

: Interesting. I throw out the inner parts. I eat the outer ones.
Oh, they are so hood(the celery hearts) particularly the claned solid
white heat at the top (or is it the bottom)

That's the part I don't like at all. Not crunchy enough. I also love the
crunchy center part of lettuce leaves.

crunchy or stringy?

how old is the celery hearts you are eating?????????

i love the CRUNCHY and sweet celery hearts

but, we each have our own likes

enjoy yours

kate

Old 13-10-2011, 09:02 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
On 10/12/2011 5:01 PM, W. Baker wrote:
Julie wrote:

: "Tiger wrote in message
: ...
: the inner parts of the celery are very nice
:
: the outer parts are very good for cooking in stoup LOL

: Interesting. I throw out the inner parts. I eat the outer ones.
Oh, they are so hood(the celery hearts) particularly the claned solid
white heat at the top (or is it the bottom)

Wendy

they are the ONLY parts to eat

i detest that stringy sh** from the outer layers

but, those outer layers are good for flavouring the broth, then tossing
out

I love the strings unless they get stuck in my teeth.

Old 13-10-2011, 09:03 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
On 10/12/2011 6:14 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
"W. wrote in message
Julie wrote:

: "Tiger wrote in message
: ...
: the inner parts of the celery are very nice
:
: the outer parts are very good for cooking in stoup LOL

: Interesting. I throw out the inner parts. I eat the outer ones.
Oh, they are so hood(the celery hearts) particularly the claned solid
white heat at the top (or is it the bottom)

That's the part I don't like at all. Not crunchy enough. I also love
the
crunchy center part of lettuce leaves.

crunchy or stringy?

how old is the celery hearts you are eating?????????

i love the CRUNCHY and sweet celery hearts

but, we each have our own likes

enjoy yours

It's just the really thin inner parts that I don't use. I don't generally
buy the hearts though unless the whole celery looks bad. I really do prefer
the outer parts.

Old 13-10-2011, 09:11 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/13/2011 2:02 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
"Tiger wrote in message
On 10/12/2011 5:01 PM, W. Baker wrote:
Julie wrote:

: "Tiger wrote in message
: ...
: the inner parts of the celery are very nice
:
: the outer parts are very good for cooking in stoup LOL

: Interesting. I throw out the inner parts. I eat the outer ones.
Oh, they are so hood(the celery hearts) particularly the claned solid
white heat at the top (or is it the bottom)

Wendy

they are the ONLY parts to eat

i detest that stringy sh** from the outer layers

but, those outer layers are good for flavouring the broth, then tossing
out

I love the strings unless they get stuck in my teeth.

wow, sounds like you have found the perfect food for you!

that's great!

i love so many different foods that i don't really miss celery hearts
anymore (unless they are on sale and i want some)

kate
Old 13-10-2011, 09:14 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/13/2011 2:03 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
"Tiger wrote in message
On 10/12/2011 6:14 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
"W. wrote in message
Julie wrote:

: "Tiger wrote in message
: ...
: the inner parts of the celery are very nice
:
: the outer parts are very good for cooking in stoup LOL

: Interesting. I throw out the inner parts. I eat the outer ones.
Oh, they are so hood(the celery hearts) particularly the claned solid
white heat at the top (or is it the bottom)

That's the part I don't like at all. Not crunchy enough. I also love
the
crunchy center part of lettuce leaves.

crunchy or stringy?

how old is the celery hearts you are eating?????????

i love the CRUNCHY and sweet celery hearts

but, we each have our own likes

enjoy yours

It's just the really thin inner parts that I don't use. I don't generally
buy the hearts though unless the whole celery looks bad. I really do prefer
the outer parts.

You need to find a retired neighbour who would love the hearts!

I often buy a 'flat' of whatever is on sale as i get 5 times more than
the individual portions will allow.

We have a couple of 90+ range folks on our street, i split the flat into
3, come out ahead and there is NO waste and the seniors LOVE the 'treat'
that they cannot afford

we have to take care of each other........... too many of us have
forgotten that responsibility.............. i'm on disability, don't go
on about how 'nice it is you can afford that'

kate
Old 13-10-2011, 09:43 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger wrote in message
On 10/12/2011 6:14 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
"W. wrote in message
Julie wrote:

: "Tiger wrote in message
: ...
[...]

No retired neighbors that I know of. But why would they not be able to
afford celery? It's not expensive!

Old 13-10-2011, 09:57 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

i have no idea what changes but just so you feel less alone, i can eat
strawberries until i explode if they are fresh, once frozen they make me
deathly ill to the point of needing the er, and i can eat "fresh" pineapple
if frozen or i can eat it canned or cooked but never fresh... last time i
did it was in a fluffy salad at a salad bar, i thought it was canned... by
the time we finished our meal and left the resto, i hurled like a vengful
cat from the top of your frig... right there in the parking lot, my stomach
had enough and simply expelled the contents, it took a while to figure out
what it was... no more fluffy salads for me, Lee

Old 13-10-2011, 04:32 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/13/2011 2:57 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
i have no idea what changes but just so you feel less alone, i can eat
strawberries until i explode if they are fresh, once frozen they make me
deathly ill to the point of needing the er, and i can eat "fresh" pineapple
if frozen or i can eat it canned or cooked but never fresh... last time i
did it was in a fluffy salad at a salad bar, i thought it was canned... by
the time we finished our meal and left the resto, i hurled like a vengful
cat from the top of your frig... right there in the parking lot, my stomach
had enough and simply expelled the contents, it took a while to figure out
what it was... no more fluffy salads for me, Lee

priceless, strawberries and pineapple make me break out in a red rash,
so i have always had to eat them MODERATELY

i wouldn't be eating them if i had your reaction to them!

just have to wonder what the body is doing.... how can we all be so
different?

kate
Old 13-10-2011, 04:37 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/13/2011 2:59 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
i call this cookinging method, "adventure" soup/stoup/cassarole... depending
on what and how thick it gets,... same process, whats in this frig that
needs going... Lee

giggle, the "intuitive" versus "sensing" cook

when we finally got cooking classes in school i was 12 years
old......... and had been cooking for the family for 5 years

my teacher was the "sensing" cook
boy, i drove her nuts
she would tell us what to make....... i knew how to make that, so i just
did (read the recipe? why? LOL) and that drove her up the wall........
it was worse when she did taste tests and liked my version better than
the others! LOL

kate