Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default favorite vegetable soup veggies?

I want to make a pot of vegetable (possibly vegetable beef) soup this week,
and was thinking about the veggies. I love yukons diced small, carrots, and
green beans in mine. What do you use? My aunt made some wonderful soup last
weekend, with potatoes, carrots, corn, green beans, and celery. Personally,
I don't care for corn in soup myself- but the rest was fabulous

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 15:19:19 -0800, "Nexis" > wrote:

>I want to make a pot of vegetable (possibly vegetable beef) soup this week,
>and was thinking about the veggies. I love yukons diced small, carrots, and
>green beans in mine. What do you use? My aunt made some wonderful soup last
>weekend, with potatoes, carrots, corn, green beans, and celery. Personally,
>I don't care for corn in soup myself- but the rest was fabulous
>
>kimberly

I make a wonderful vegetable soup from the old Foods of the World
series, The Great West volume. It is called Dill soup, as dill is
added towards the end.

It calls for, a mirepoix of celery, carrots, and onions, then tomatoes
are added, then diced potatoes. Then stock. And cauliflower, green
beans, and green peas. Then the dill sprigs at the last.

I sometimes vary this by adding basil instead of the dill, or putting
a dollop of pesto in it when it is served. That, and grated Parmesan,
make for a wonderful soup.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nexis wrote on 22 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> I want to make a pot of vegetable (possibly vegetable beef) soup this
> week, and was thinking about the veggies. I love yukons diced small,
> carrots, and green beans in mine. What do you use? My aunt made some
> wonderful soup last weekend, with potatoes, carrots, corn, green
> beans, and celery. Personally, I don't care for corn in soup myself-
> but the rest was fabulous
>
> kimberly

Consider adding 1 or all of okra or brocolli or cauliflower.

Are you going to brown the beef bones in a hot oven for best color and
taste of the broth? If so consider roasting some of the root veggies in
your soup as well.

--
-Alan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I love cabbage in vegetable soup. When I was in kindergarten, I
checked out a Peter Rabbit or Beatrix Potter cookbook. It had a
recipe for Farmer McGregor's vegetable soup which contained cabbage.
I had never had cabbage in vegetable soup before. My mom made it for
me and I have loved cabbage in my vegetable soup ever since.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tara" > wrote in message
>I love cabbage in vegetable soup. When I was in kindergarten, I
> checked out a Peter Rabbit or Beatrix Potter cookbook. It had a
> recipe for Farmer McGregor's vegetable soup which contained cabbage.
> I had never had cabbage in vegetable soup before. My mom made it for
> me and I have loved cabbage in my vegetable soup ever since.
>
> Tara

Tara, I have to agree with you. I love cabbage in my vegetable soup, but DH
doesn't. Since I'm such a wuss, I never put cabbage in the soup. I could
eat fried cabbage with a little onion in it, almost every day, too. DH buys
cabbage because he says he's going to make cole slaw. Usually it just sits
in the frig until it's thrown out. I want my fried cabbage!
I think I'm going to start making MYSELF some cabbage when I make him
broccoli, of which I'm not that fond, but he is. Good solution.
Tara, is your name an "India" name? I just got thru watching a film and the
person's name was Tara.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Randall wrote:
> "Tara" > wrote in message
> >I love cabbage in vegetable soup.

> Tara, I have to agree with you. I love cabbage in my vegetable soup, but DH
> doesn't. Since I'm such a wuss, I never put cabbage in the soup.

Dee, try fine sliced China Cabbage in your soup to share with DH, it's
flavor is much less bitter-strong. Add thin slices of Golden Beets to
the mix, and chop the inner, younger beet tops into the pot last along
with a drizzle of toasted sesame oil.

Picky

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nexis wrote:

> I want to make a pot of vegetable (possibly vegetable beef) soup this week,
> and was thinking about the veggies. I love yukons diced small, carrots, and
> green beans in mine. What do you use? My aunt made some wonderful soup last
> weekend, with potatoes, carrots, corn, green beans, and celery. Personally,
> I don't care for corn in soup myself- but the rest was fabulous
>
> kimberly

===
My world famous vegetable soup contains more or less most veggies, depending on
what is in the fridge when I make it. Diced beef, carrots, fresh green beans,
diced potatoes, corn (whole ear cut about 1 inch thick, yields about 8 pieces),
cabbage, peas, barley (lots of it), celery and as I said before, any other
veggie that was left over from a salad. When the soup is done, I puree about
1/3 and pour it back into the pot and let set for about 10 more minutes, this
thickens the soup - never have liked runny soups.

Cheers,

Ray
Austin, TX
===

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"PickyJaz" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Dee Randall wrote:
>> "Tara" > wrote in message
>> >I love cabbage in vegetable soup.

>> Tara, I have to agree with you. I love cabbage in my vegetable soup, but
>> DH
>> doesn't. Since I'm such a wuss, I never put cabbage in the soup.

> Dee, try fine sliced China Cabbage in your soup to share with DH, it's
> flavor is much less bitter-strong. Add thin slices of Golden Beets to
> the mix, and chop the inner, younger beet tops into the pot last along
> with a drizzle of toasted sesame oil.
>
> Picky

Good idea -- a few weeks ago he made a recipe with chinese cabbage. It
actually was a fried rice recipe with chinese cabbage. It had an egg and
some other things in it, but he used a full head (small) of cabbage and it
was down-right delicious. I can't recall if there was a little shrimp in it
or not.
Chinese cabbage is something we both can eat, so I'll try it next time. I
agree with him that regular cabbage in a soup can seem overpowering. We
both like beets, and I've seen golden beets lately and wondered what I would
do with them differently than I do with regular beets -- now you've supplied
me with an answer.
Thanks,
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <kj6Lf.4573$z82.855@fed1read07>, "Nexis" >
wrote:

> I want to make a pot of vegetable (possibly vegetable beef) soup this week,
> and was thinking about the veggies. I love yukons diced small, carrots, and
> green beans in mine. What do you use? My aunt made some wonderful soup last
> weekend, with potatoes, carrots, corn, green beans, and celery. Personally,
> I don't care for corn in soup myself- but the rest was fabulous
>
> kimberly

I'm with your aunt. I use diced tomatoes in mine, too, after running
the stick blender through them.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-19-2006, Yummy! and church review. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman" > wrote in message

> Nexis wrote:
>
>> I want to make a pot of vegetable (possibly vegetable beef) soup this
>> week,
>> and was thinking about the veggies. I love yukons diced small, carrots,
>> and
>> green beans in mine. What do you use? My aunt made some wonderful soup
>> last
>> weekend, with potatoes, carrots, corn, green beans, and celery.
>> Personally,
>> I don't care for corn in soup myself- but the rest was fabulous
>>
>> kimberly

> ===
> My world famous vegetable soup contains more or less most veggies,
> depending on
> what is in the fridge when I make it. Diced beef, carrots, fresh green
> beans,
> diced potatoes, corn (whole ear cut about 1 inch thick, yields about 8
> pieces),
> cabbage, peas, barley (lots of it), celery and as I said before, any other
> veggie that was left over from a salad. When the soup is done, I puree
> about
> 1/3 and pour it back into the pot and let set for about 10 more minutes,
> this
> thickens the soup - never have liked runny soups.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ray
> Austin, TX
> ===

Instead of puree-ing, or even in addition to puree-ing, perhaps a little
added polenta (2 or 3 tablespoons) will change the consistency of your soup,
or even add some parmesan reggiano rinds or grana padano cheese rinds, they
will thicken it up. I don't know how the cheese will go with diced beef,
though. I usually use the cheese only in vegetable soups without meat.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nexis wrote:
> I want to make a pot of vegetable (possibly vegetable beef) soup this week,
> and was thinking about the veggies. I love yukons diced small, carrots, and
> green beans in mine. What do you use? My aunt made some wonderful soup last
> weekend, with potatoes, carrots, corn, green beans, and celery. Personally,
> I don't care for corn in soup myself- but the rest was fabulous
>
> kimberly

Tomatoes, carrots, onions, celery, potatoes (any kind), peas, green
beans, cabbage, sometimes baby limas....and I'm trying to think what
else....definitely not corn.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"-L." > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Nexis wrote:
>> I want to make a pot of vegetable (possibly vegetable beef) soup this
>> week,
>> and was thinking about the veggies. I love yukons diced small, carrots,
>> and
>> green beans in mine. What do you use? My aunt made some wonderful soup
>> last
>> weekend, with potatoes, carrots, corn, green beans, and celery.
>> Personally,
>> I don't care for corn in soup myself- but the rest was fabulous
>>
>> kimberly

> Tomatoes, carrots, onions, celery, potatoes (any kind), peas, green
> beans, cabbage, sometimes baby limas....and I'm trying to think what
> else....definitely not corn.
>
> -L.

Onions, definitely onions. And a little flat leaf parsley - use curly if you
prefer it. Sometimes the tops of green onions.
If my vegetable soup has a strong tomato flavor, I like a little corn in it.
I prefer a little bit of peas to limas. If I use green beans, I cut them
small.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nexis wrote:
> I want to make a pot of vegetable (possibly vegetable beef) soup this week,
> and was thinking about the veggies. I love yukons diced small, carrots, and
> green beans in mine. What do you use? My aunt made some wonderful soup last
> weekend, with potatoes, carrots, corn, green beans, and celery. Personally,
> I don't care for corn in soup myself- but the rest was fabulous
>
> kimberly

I don't like Campbell's style. I prefer a minestrone, along with the
veggies you mention (gotta have bell peppers too), leafy greens, kidney
beans, pasta, and cheese.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> Nexis wrote:
>> I want to make a pot of vegetable (possibly vegetable beef) soup
>> this week, and was thinking about the veggies. I love yukons diced
>> small, carrots, and green beans in mine. What do you use? My aunt
>> made some wonderful soup last weekend, with potatoes, carrots, corn,
>> green beans, and celery. Personally, I don't care for corn in soup
>> myself- but the rest was fabulous
>>
>> kimberly

> I don't like Campbell's style. I prefer a minestrone, along with the
> veggies you mention (gotta have bell peppers too), leafy greens,
> kidney beans, pasta, and cheese.
>
> Sheldon

For minestrone you also need some diced zucchini and cannelli beans but
plain old Navy or Great Northern white beans will work. Spinach serves well
for the leafy greens but I've even used turnip greens with good results.
For the cheese I prefer grated Pecorino Romano.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I start with V8 juice, browned bones with marrow (if possible), beef
base, beef, onions, garlic, bay leaf, basil & celery.
When the meat is cooked and approaching tender, I add:
diced tomatoes, carrots, rutabega, parsnips, & potatoes.
Later when the hard veggies are close to being tender, I add whole
fresh green beans, snow or sugar snap peas, maybe zuchinni or summer
squash. The last thing that goes in is usually finely shredded cabbage.
The whole kit and caboodle gets served with light sour cream and "hard"
soup dumplings.

I am incapable of making less than two gallons of soup.
Lynn from Fargo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nexis wrote:
> I want to make a pot of vegetable (possibly vegetable beef) soup this week,
> and was thinking about the veggies. I love yukons diced small, carrots, and
> green beans in mine. What do you use? My aunt made some wonderful soup last
> weekend, with potatoes, carrots, corn, green beans, and celery. Personally,
> I don't care for corn in soup myself- but the rest was fabulous
>
> kimberly

Kimberly,

You've got plenty of suggestions on vegies to use in your soup, but the
one vegie that I have found to make the biggest difference in a soup or
stew is butternut squash. You could substitute other winter squashes,
but butternut is my favorite.

And here's an odd one: I sometimes add some fresh squeezed orange
juice to vegie soup. I don't add enough to be able to really identify
the taste, it just adds a bit of fruitiness. I add about two or three
oranges worth to a big pot. That idea should get me thrown out of the
group, but give it a try.

Ken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken wrote:
> Nexis wrote:
>> I want to make a pot of vegetable (possibly vegetable beef) soup
>> this week, and was thinking about the veggies. I love yukons diced
>> small, carrots, and green beans in mine. What do you use? My aunt
>> made some wonderful soup last weekend, with potatoes, carrots, corn,
>> green beans, and celery. Personally, I don't care for corn in soup
>> myself- but the rest was fabulous
>>
>> kimberly

> Kimberly,
>
> You've got plenty of suggestions on vegies to use in your soup, but
> the
> one vegie that I have found to make the biggest difference in a soup
> or
> stew is butternut squash. You could substitute other winter squashes,
> but butternut is my favorite.
>
> And here's an odd one: I sometimes add some fresh squeezed orange
> juice to vegie soup. I don't add enough to be able to really identify
> the taste, it just adds a bit of fruitiness. I add about two or three
> oranges worth to a big pot. That idea should get me thrown out of the
> group, but give it a try.
>
> Ken

Oranges are an interesting addition; so is pineapple although I don't keep
pineapples around for when I plan to make soup. I usually have an orange or
a lemon in the fridge, so why do you think the idea so ridiculous? Citrus
fruit is used in a lot of sauces and marinades; no reason not to add it to
soup as well.

And I totally concur on your recommendation for butternut squash. I adore
butternut squash soup.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Nexis wrote:
>> I want to make a pot of vegetable (possibly vegetable beef) soup this
>> week,
>> and was thinking about the veggies. I love yukons diced small, carrots,
>> and
>> green beans in mine. What do you use? My aunt made some wonderful soup
>> last
>> weekend, with potatoes, carrots, corn, green beans, and celery.
>> Personally,
>> I don't care for corn in soup myself- but the rest was fabulous
>>
>> kimberly

> I don't like Campbell's style. I prefer a minestrone, along with the
> veggies you mention (gotta have bell peppers too), leafy greens, kidney
> beans, pasta, and cheese.
>
> Sheldon

You wouldn't happen to have a recipe for a good minestrone would you,
Sheldon? I've only recently discovered that I like it! I'd definitely be
interested in making it, but I prefer recipes that are tried and true

Thanks
kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo wrote on 22 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> I start with V8 juice, browned bones with marrow (if possible), beef
> base, beef, onions, garlic, bay leaf, basil & celery.
> When the meat is cooked and approaching tender, I add:
> diced tomatoes, carrots, rutabega, parsnips, & potatoes.
> Later when the hard veggies are close to being tender, I add whole
> fresh green beans, snow or sugar snap peas, maybe zuchinni or summer
> squash. The last thing that goes in is usually finely shredded cabbage.
> The whole kit and caboodle gets served with light sour cream and "hard"
> soup dumplings.
>
> I am incapable of making less than two gallons of soup.
> Lynn from Fargo

I wish I could cut back to only 2 gallons...

--
-Alan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote on 22 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Ken wrote:
> > Nexis wrote:
> >> I want to make a pot of vegetable (possibly vegetable beef) soup
> >> this week, and was thinking about the veggies. I love yukons diced
> >> small, carrots, and green beans in mine. What do you use? My aunt
> >> made some wonderful soup last weekend, with potatoes, carrots,
> >> corn, green beans, and celery. Personally, I don't care for corn in
> >> soup myself- but the rest was fabulous
> >>
> >> kimberly

> > Kimberly,
> >
> > You've got plenty of suggestions on vegies to use in your soup, but
> > the
> > one vegie that I have found to make the biggest difference in a soup
> > or
> > stew is butternut squash. You could substitute other winter
> > squashes, but butternut is my favorite.
> >
> > And here's an odd one: I sometimes add some fresh squeezed orange
> > juice to vegie soup. I don't add enough to be able to really
> > identify the taste, it just adds a bit of fruitiness. I add about
> > two or three oranges worth to a big pot. That idea should get me
> > thrown out of the group, but give it a try.
> >
> > Ken

> Oranges are an interesting addition; so is pineapple although I don't
> keep pineapples around for when I plan to make soup. I usually have
> an orange or a lemon in the fridge, so why do you think the idea so
> ridiculous? Citrus fruit is used in a lot of sauces and marinades; no
> reason not to add it to soup as well.
>
> And I totally concur on your recommendation for butternut squash. I
> adore butternut squash soup.
>
> Jill

I regularly add whole forked lemons tp mustgovian soups....Brightens up
the soup broth a lot.

--
-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" > wrote in message
> I want to make a pot of vegetable (possibly vegetable beef) soup this

week,
> and was thinking about the veggies. I love yukons diced small, carrots,

and
> green beans in mine. What do you use? My aunt made some wonderful soup

last
> weekend, with potatoes, carrots, corn, green beans, and celery.

Personally,
> I don't care for corn in soup myself- but the rest was fabulous

I use carrots, celery, corn, green beans, peas, cabbage, tomatoes and
(sometimes) turnip. I don't use potatoes in my veggie soup - probably
because my gramma didn't, and that's who taught me how to make this!

I can either make it vegetarian (vegetable stock or tomato/V8 Juice as the
liquid) or beef- based (leftover roast and beef stock.) Depends on what I
have on hand.

Lisa Ann

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken wrote:

> Nexis wrote:
> > I want to make a pot of vegetable (possibly vegetable beef) soup this week,
> > and was thinking about the veggies. I love yukons diced small, carrots, and
> > green beans in mine. What do you use? My aunt made some wonderful soup last
> > weekend, with potatoes, carrots, corn, green beans, and celery. Personally,
> > I don't care for corn in soup myself- but the rest was fabulous
> >
> > kimberly

> Kimberly,
>
> You've got plenty of suggestions on vegies to use in your soup, but the
> one vegie that I have found to make the biggest difference in a soup or
> stew is butternut squash. You could substitute other winter squashes,
> but butternut is my favorite.
>
> And here's an odd one: I sometimes add some fresh squeezed orange
> juice to vegie soup. I don't add enough to be able to really identify
> the taste, it just adds a bit of fruitiness. I add about two or three
> oranges worth to a big pot. That idea should get me thrown out of the
> group, but give it a try.
>
> Ken

When I make a beef veg soup, I sometimes cook a bit of turnip in a
small amount of water on the side and puree it with the liquid to add to
the broth......For Chicken soup, I add, besides the vegs, etc, a tiny
sprinkle of cinnamon....Sharon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

biig > wrote in :

> Tara wrote:
>>
>> I love cabbage in vegetable soup. When I was in kindergarten, I
>> checked out a Peter Rabbit or Beatrix Potter cookbook. It had a
>> recipe for Farmer McGregor's vegetable soup which contained cabbage.
>> I had never had cabbage in vegetable soup before. My mom made it for
>> me and I have loved cabbage in my vegetable soup ever since.
>>
>> Tara

> I put shredded cabbage in chicken soup too. It mostly disappears
> except for the chunkier parts. I think it adds great flavour....Sharon

Whatever goes into a good minestrone.

http://soup.allrecipes.com/az/JamiesMinestrone.asp

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 20:10:32 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

>Tara, I have to agree with you. I love cabbage in my vegetable soup, but DH
>doesn't. Since I'm such a wuss, I never put cabbage in the soup. I could
>eat fried cabbage with a little onion in it, almost every day, too. DH buys
>cabbage because he says he's going to make cole slaw. Usually it just sits
>in the frig until it's thrown out. I want my fried cabbage!

Funny -- my husband loves cooked cabbage but he hates cole slaw.

>Tara, is your name an "India" name? I just got thru watching a film and the
>person's name was Tara.

I'm named after Tara in Gone With the Wind. What movie did you see?

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tara" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 20:10:32 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> > wrote:
>
>>Tara, I have to agree with you. I love cabbage in my vegetable soup, but
>>DH
>>doesn't. Since I'm such a wuss, I never put cabbage in the soup. I could
>>eat fried cabbage with a little onion in it, almost every day, too. DH
>>buys
>>cabbage because he says he's going to make cole slaw. Usually it just
>>sits
>>in the frig until it's thrown out. I want my fried cabbage!

> Funny -- my husband loves cooked cabbage but he hates cole slaw.
>
>>Tara, is your name an "India" name? I just got thru watching a film and
>>the
>>person's name was Tara.

> I'm named after Tara in Gone With the Wind. What movie did you see?
>
> Tara

I know this will not be funny, but its how minds can play tricks. I bought
this movie and had it around for a long, long time before I watched it the
other night. I had been referring to this movie as "Tara, queen of the
Elephants." Here is an excerpt I just found stating that the elephant
keeper's name was Parbati, not Tara. "Author Mark Shand and Parbati Barua
(a Rajah's daughter and elephant driver) make a 300-mile journey by elephant
through the forests of India."

I confused her name with a famous elephant named Tara. Oh, my.
Sorry, Tara.
What a case I am.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I like pureed tomatoes, onions, celery, green peppers, and small diced
sweet potato in my vegetable soup. The sweet potatoes give a slightly
different taste than carrots. I also love cabbage.

Denise

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Randall wrote:
> "Tara" > wrote in message
>
>>On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 20:10:32 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:
>>

>>>Tara, I have to agree with you. I love cabbage in my vegetable soup, but
>>>DH
>>>doesn't. Since I'm such a wuss, I never put cabbage in the soup. I could
>>>eat fried cabbage with a little onion in it, almost every day, too. DH
>>>buys
>>>cabbage because he says he's going to make cole slaw. Usually it just
>>>sits
>>>in the frig until it's thrown out. I want my fried cabbage!

>>Funny -- my husband loves cooked cabbage but he hates cole slaw.
>>

>>>Tara, is your name an "India" name? I just got thru watching a film and
>>>the
>>>person's name was Tara.

>>I'm named after Tara in Gone With the Wind. What movie did you see?
>>
>>Tara

> I know this will not be funny, but its how minds can play tricks. I bought
> this movie and had it around for a long, long time before I watched it the
> other night. I had been referring to this movie as "Tara, queen of the
> Elephants." Here is an excerpt I just found stating that the elephant
> keeper's name was Parbati, not Tara. "Author Mark Shand and Parbati Barua
> (a Rajah's daughter and elephant driver) make a 300-mile journey by elephant
> through the forests of India."
>
> I confused her name with a famous elephant named Tara. Oh, my.
> Sorry, Tara.
> What a case I am.
> Dee Dee

Tara in Sanskrit means "Star", it is a common girl's name in India.
There is also a female boddhisattava Tara - the Goddess of compassion in
Buddhism, it is a Tibetan name too. So, Dee Dee, you were not way off in
assuming it could be an Indian name.

What does "Tara" mean in the western context?

- Kamala.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kamala Ganesh" > wrote in message
> Dee Randall wrote:
>> "Tara" > wrote in message

>>>Funny -- my husband loves cooked cabbage but he hates cole slaw.

>>>I'm named after Tara in Gone With the Wind. What movie did you see?
>>>
>>>Tara

>> I know this will not be funny, but its how minds can play tricks. I
>> bought this movie and had it around for a long, long time before I
>> watched it the other night. I had been referring to this movie as "Tara,
>> queen of the Elephants." Here is an excerpt I just found stating that the
>> elephant keeper's name was Parbati, not Tara. "Author Mark Shand and
>> Parbati Barua (a Rajah's daughter and elephant driver) make a 300-mile
>> journey by elephant through the forests of India."
>>
>> I confused her name with a famous elephant named Tara. Oh, my.
>> Sorry, Tara.
>> What a case I am.
>> Dee Dee
>>

> Tara in Sanskrit means "Star", it is a common girl's name in India. There
> is also a female boddhisattava Tara - the Goddess of compassion in
> Buddhism, it is a Tibetan name too. So, Dee Dee, you were not way off in
> assuming it could be an Indian name.
>
> What does "Tara" mean in the western context?
>
> - Kamala.

Perhaps Tar in the context of Gone with the Wind is a *******ization of word
terra, or land-earth. Wasn't their land called, Tara?
Here I go again - spouting off.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jude" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Kamala Ganesh wrote:
>
>> Tara in Sanskrit means "Star", it is a common girl's name in India.
>> There is also a female boddhisattava Tara - the Goddess of compassion in
>> Buddhism, it is a Tibetan name too. So, Dee Dee, you were not way off in
>> assuming it could be an Indian name.
>>
>> What does "Tara" mean in the western context?
>>

> Well, there's 'terra' is in earth.
>
> My daughter's name is Tara, but it's short for Kantara, which is based
> on the sapnish verb that means 'to sing'. (also think cantor in jewish
> religion.)

Beautiful -- now we have a pleasant combination -- singing star.

My beautiful dog - Akita, I named her "Hoshi" and even had her name carved
in aluminum on her kennel gate. In Japanese, Hoshi means Star; she was!
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> >> I know this will not be funny, but its how minds can play tricks. I
> >> bought this movie and had it around for a long, long time before I
> >> watched it the other night. I had been referring to this movie as "Tara,
> >> queen of the Elephants." Here is an excerpt I just found stating that the
> >> elephant keeper's name was Parbati, not Tara. "Author Mark Shand and
> >> Parbati Barua (a Rajah's daughter and elephant driver) make a 300-mile
> >> journey by elephant through the forests of India."
> >>
> >> I confused her name with a famous elephant named Tara. Oh, my.
> >> Sorry, Tara.
> >> What a case I am.
> >> Dee Dee
> >>

> > Tara in Sanskrit means "Star", it is a common girl's name in India. There
> > is also a female boddhisattava Tara - the Goddess of compassion in
> > Buddhism, it is a Tibetan name too. So, Dee Dee, you were not way off in
> > assuming it could be an Indian name.
> >
> > What does "Tara" mean in the western context?
> >
> > - Kamala.

> Perhaps Tar in the context of Gone with the Wind is a *******ization of word
> terra, or land-earth. Wasn't their land called, Tara?
> Here I go again - spouting off.
> Dee Dee

The plantation was called Tara after the family land in
Ireland...Sharon who has seen Gone With The Wind 9 times....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"biig" > wrote in message ...

>> > Tara in Sanskrit means "Star", it is a common girl's name in India.
>> > There
>> > is also a female boddhisattava Tara - the Goddess of compassion in
>> > Buddhism, it is a Tibetan name too. So, Dee Dee, you were not way off
>> > in
>> > assuming it could be an Indian name.
>> >
>> > What does "Tara" mean in the western context?
>> >
>> > - Kamala.

>> Perhaps Tar in the context of Gone with the Wind is a *******ization of
>> word
>> terra, or land-earth. Wasn't their land called, Tara?
>> Here I go again - spouting off.
>> Dee Dee

> The plantation was called Tara after the family land in
> Ireland...Sharon who has seen Gone With The Wind 9 times....

Good memory, Sharon. I've seen it a number of times, too.
Now, I'm wondering again -- wonder if the family 'land' was called Tara,
(terra=earth,dirt, etc) as we might call a ranch, "Bonanza," or if the
family name was Tara -- probably the former?
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Randall wrote:

> >> Perhaps Tar in the context of Gone with the Wind is a *******ization of
> >> word
> >> terra, or land-earth. Wasn't their land called, Tara?
> >> Here I go again - spouting off.
> >> Dee Dee

> > The plantation was called Tara after the family land in
> > Ireland...Sharon who has seen Gone With The Wind 9 times....

> Good memory, Sharon. I've seen it a number of times, too.
> Now, I'm wondering again -- wonder if the family 'land' was called Tara,
> (terra=earth,dirt, etc) as we might call a ranch, "Bonanza," or if the
> family name was Tara -- probably the former?
> Dee Dee

\
Actually, the part about the Irish land being Tara came from the
sequal, where Scarlett goes to Ireland after Rhett leaves her after
Melanie's death. It was the actual name of some land there, as in
possibly a fictional county called Tara. I don't know if there is
actually a county called that. ........Sharon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 13:31:34 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:
>
>"biig" > wrote in message ...

>> The plantation was called Tara after the family land in
>> Ireland...Sharon who has seen Gone With The Wind 9 times....

>Good memory, Sharon. I've seen it a number of times, too.
>Now, I'm wondering again -- wonder if the family 'land' was called Tara,
>(terra=earth,dirt, etc) as we might call a ranch, "Bonanza," or if the
>family name was Tara -- probably the former?

Tara was the ancient seat of the high kings of Ireland. In Gone With
the Wind, Scarlett's Irish father named his Georgia plantation after
the ancient Tara.

Tara

OB Food: I also like lima or butter beans in my vegetable soup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <B8xLf.30276$gh4.14906@trnddc06>,
Kamala Ganesh > wrote:

> What does "Tara" mean in the western context?

Irish place name belonging to a hill in entral Ireland which was an
ancient seat of kingship. Means hill.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.