Old 22-08-2011, 11:52 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Hi everybody

Just to let my friends on this newsgroup know that I had gastric
surgery a couple of weeks ago. I have already lost almost 30 lbs
from my highest weight. I lost twelve lbs before going into the
hospital and the rest since the surgery. The surgery my doctor chose
was the gastric sleeve, which is less invasive than the bypass.

The good news is that I have great energy, and am not using ANY
diabetes meds or insulin at this time. My numbers are great, but
then I am not eating hardly anything at all. Last night I had my
first soft boiled egg. Till now it has only been protein shakes for
all my meals.

I am glad I did it.

Evelyn

Old 22-08-2011, 01:11 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 21:00:09 +1000, "Ozgirl"
wrote:

Oh my goodness, that is fantastic. Good to hear success stories

"Evelyn" wrote in message
.. .

Just to let my friends on this newsgroup know that I had gastric
surgery a couple of weeks ago. I have already lost almost 30 lbs
from my highest weight. I lost twelve lbs before going into the
hospital and the rest since the surgery. The surgery my doctor chose
was the gastric sleeve, which is less invasive than the bypass.

The good news is that I have great energy, and am not using ANY
diabetes meds or insulin at this time. My numbers are great, but
then I am not eating hardly anything at all. Last night I had my
first soft boiled egg. Till now it has only been protein shakes for
all my meals.

I am glad I did it.

Evelyn

Thanks, Ozgirl.

I was only in the hospital for two and a half days. No pain meds
needed at all. I'm doing very well, actually.

Evelyn
Old 22-08-2011, 03:04 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:

: Just to let my friends on this newsgroup know that I had gastric
: surgery a couple of weeks ago. I have already lost almost 30 lbs
: from my highest weight. I lost twelve lbs before going into the
: hospital and the rest since the surgery. The surgery my doctor chose
: was the gastric sleeve, which is less invasive than the bypass.

: The good news is that I have great energy, and am not using ANY
: diabetes meds or insulin at this time. My numbers are great, but
: then I am not eating hardly anything at all. Last night I had my
: first soft boiled egg. Till now it has only been protein shakes for
: all my meals.

: I am glad I did it.

: Evelyn

Good luck with it and keep us informed of your progress.

Slad to hear that is seems to be working so well for you. It is nice to
have you posting again You were missed

Wendy
Old 22-08-2011, 04:17 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" wrote in message

Just to let my friends on this newsgroup know that I had gastric
surgery a couple of weeks ago. I have already lost almost 30 lbs
from my highest weight. I lost twelve lbs before going into the
hospital and the rest since the surgery. The surgery my doctor chose
was the gastric sleeve, which is less invasive than the bypass.

The good news is that I have great energy, and am not using ANY
diabetes meds or insulin at this time. My numbers are great, but
then I am not eating hardly anything at all. Last night I had my
first soft boiled egg. Till now it has only been protein shakes for
all my meals.

I am glad I did it.

Evelyn

Great news Evelyn! I'm glad it worked out so well for you since I know you
have been wanting to do it for a long time.

Cheri

Old 22-08-2011, 06:39 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

glad it is going well for you!

it is a tough choice to make one that shouldnt be taken lightly as this is
as much of a commitment then any diet as you can never eat normal again or
stretch out your stomach undoing what was done with the surgery.

this was a strong choice to make..youre a strong person and I'm very happy
for you!

KROM

Old 22-08-2011, 07:18 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 06:52:00 -0400, Evelyn
wrote:

Just to let my friends on this newsgroup know that I had gastric
surgery a couple of weeks ago. I have already lost almost 30 lbs
from my highest weight. I lost twelve lbs before going into the
hospital and the rest since the surgery. The surgery my doctor chose
was the gastric sleeve, which is less invasive than the bypass.

The good news is that I have great energy, and am not using ANY
diabetes meds or insulin at this time. My numbers are great, but
then I am not eating hardly anything at all. Last night I had my
first soft boiled egg. Till now it has only been protein shakes for
all my meals.

I am glad I did it.

Evelyn

Gutsy move -- yeah, pun intended. :-D -- and sounds like a successful
one, at that. Good for you! And best wishes for continued success
and a speedy recovery.
Old 22-08-2011, 08:02 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 12:44:36 -0500, "KROM" wrote:

if you notice she has only had protein shakes and a egg to eat..you too
would likely not need meds eating 8 ounces of food a day.

this surgery only forces restraint..its not a cure..not that you said it
was..I'm just thinking of the people who say this "cured" them and nobody
thinks what if you fed a person the same food no surgery would it have the
same effect..I think it would..but would be much harder as the surgery lets
you feel full on that diet while a non bypass person would feel starved.

its interesting stuff to think about

Actually, there has been discussion in ASD about such surgery "curing"
T2, and there have been some interesting results.

Yes, if you're only eating eight ounces of food a day, the weight loss
is going to be swift and dramatic. And, yes, if you're only eating
protein, there's no "carb hit" to raise the BG. But with such a small
food intake each day, wouldn't there be issues with liver dumps?

I admit I don't know the in's and out's of all of this stuff, but from
what I've read in ASD from people who have not had this surgery, I
would think there would be BG problems with the limited food intake? I
know, personally, if I'm not eating much my BG can go up, especially
in the mornings. While I'm sure the "meals" are spread throughout the
day, wouldn't the mornings still be an issue? Evelyn says she isn't
needing her meds anymore, so I'm assuming her FBG is fine?

Just a lot of guessing, I know, but from this, and other reports, it
seems there's something going on other than just forced restraint.
Old 22-08-2011, 08:06 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"BlueBrooke" wrote in message
[...]

I know a couple of people in real life that have had it. One was many years
ago and she did eat her way through it after a few years, and one is really
happy with it. I saw a show on Dr. Phil once where there was some depression
going on after the surgery, due to the fact of not being able to eat some
things, but everyone is different and I think Evelyn has given it a lot of
thought before going ahead with it, so I do think she will be one of the
success stories. I think also that medicare and other insurances are
covering the surgery for most type 2's and not adhering strictly to the 100
pound overweight criteria anymore. :-)

Cheri

Old 22-08-2011, 09:18 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote in message

[...]

Is the weight lost a substantial percentage of you body mass ?
Good you meds are down

I am only at the beginning of the third week post surgery. Yes, the
weight loss has been amazing.

Evelyn
Old 22-08-2011, 09:21 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 12:44:36 -0500, "KROM" wrote:

if you notice she has only had protein shakes and a egg to eat..you too
would likely not need meds eating 8 ounces of food a day.

this surgery only forces restraint..its not a cure..not that you said it
was..I'm just thinking of the people who say this "cured" them and nobody
thinks what if you fed a person the same food no surgery would it have the
same effect..I think it would..but would be much harder as the surgery lets
you feel full on that diet while a non bypass person would feel starved.

its interesting stuff to think about

KROM

"atec77" wrote
Is the weight lost a substantial percentage of you body mass ?
Good you meds are down

Bariatric surgery is NOT a cure. You have to police yourself as time
goes on. It is a good head start, that's all. You actually CANNOT
cheat. You go to a party or a gathering, and all you can have is a
protein shake which you have brought with you in your little lunch
bag. All I care about is that I am not so hungry and I am able to
satisfy my hunger easily with a very small amount of food at this
point. We will see where the journey goes.

Evelyn
Old 22-08-2011, 09:24 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 12:06:48 -0700, "Cheri"
wrote:

[...]

I began the process in January. They require attendance at nutrition
classes, educational classes, all sorts of medical testing to get
everything else in line, including a psych workup. One is very well
educated and ready for it by the time you get a surgical date.

As I said, my surgery is called "Gastric Sleeve" which consists of
simply making your stomach into a long narrow tube which only holds
about 4 ounces of anything at a time. The doctor said they have been
getting very good results with this surgery, which is not as drastic
as the bypass.

Evelyn
Old 22-08-2011, 09:28 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 14:04:30 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
wrote:

Evelyn wrote:

[...]

I drop in from time to time and read whatever is going on. Been
frequenting another newsgroup which is VERY busy with a huge number of
posts and posters, so there is only so much time in a day to
computerize! :-) Thanks for the good wishes, Wendy!
Old 22-08-2011, 09:30 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 12:30:45 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Evelyn" wrote in message
.. .

Just to let my friends on this newsgroup know that I had gastric
surgery a couple of weeks ago. I have already lost almost 30 lbs
from my highest weight. I lost twelve lbs before going into the
hospital and the rest since the surgery. The surgery my doctor chose
was the gastric sleeve, which is less invasive than the bypass.

The good news is that I have great energy, and am not using ANY
diabetes meds or insulin at this time. My numbers are great, but
then I am not eating hardly anything at all. Last night I had my
first soft boiled egg. Till now it has only been protein shakes for
all my meals.

I am glad I did it.

Good!

Thanks all for the good wishes. I will have to stick with it for it
to work. There is no such thing as a free lunch, and lots of people
have discovered this surgery is not a magic fix. Still have to diet
and all the rest for it to work.

Evelyn