Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Evelyn Evelyn is offline

Default Hi everybody

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 12:06:48 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"BlueBrooke" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 12:44:36 -0500, "KROM" > wrote:
>>
>>>if you notice she has only had protein shakes and a egg to eat..you too
>>>would likely not need meds eating 8 ounces of food a day.
>>>
>>>this surgery only forces restraint..its not a cure..not that you said it
>>>was..I'm just thinking of the people who say this "cured" them and nobody
>>>thinks what if you fed a person the same food no surgery would it have the
>>>same effect..I think it would..but would be much harder as the surgery
>>>lets
>>>you feel full on that diet while a non bypass person would feel starved.
>>>
>>>its interesting stuff to think about

>> Actually, there has been discussion in ASD about such surgery "curing"
>> T2, and there have been some interesting results.
>>
>> Yes, if you're only eating eight ounces of food a day, the weight loss
>> is going to be swift and dramatic. And, yes, if you're only eating
>> protein, there's no "carb hit" to raise the BG. But with such a small
>> food intake each day, wouldn't there be issues with liver dumps?
>>
>> I admit I don't know the in's and out's of all of this stuff, but from
>> what I've read in ASD from people who have not had this surgery, I
>> would think there would be BG problems with the limited food intake? I
>> know, personally, if I'm not eating much my BG can go up, especially
>> in the mornings. While I'm sure the "meals" are spread throughout the
>> day, wouldn't the mornings still be an issue? Evelyn says she isn't
>> needing her meds anymore, so I'm assuming her FBG is fine?
>>
>> Just a lot of guessing, I know, but from this, and other reports, it
>> seems there's something going on other than just forced restraint.

>I know a couple of people in real life that have had it. One was many years
>ago and she did eat her way through it after a few years, and one is really
>happy with it. I saw a show on Dr. Phil once where there was some depression
>going on after the surgery, due to the fact of not being able to eat some
>things, but everyone is different and I think Evelyn has given it a lot of
>thought before going ahead with it, so I do think she will be one of the
>success stories. I think also that medicare and other insurances are
>covering the surgery for most type 2's and not adhering strictly to the 100
>pound overweight criteria anymore. :-)
>
>Cheri

I began the process in January. They require attendance at nutrition
classes, educational classes, all sorts of medical testing to get
everything else in line, including a psych workup. One is very well
educated and ready for it by the time you get a surgical date.

As I said, my surgery is called "Gastric Sleeve" which consists of
simply making your stomach into a long narrow tube which only holds
about 4 ounces of anything at a time. The doctor said they have been
getting very good results with this surgery, which is not as drastic
as the bypass.

Evelyn