Posted to alt.food.diabetic
KROM KROM is offline

Default Hi everybody

please keep in my mind I was musing on the surgery itself and in no way
commenting on her surgery other then to wish her the best.

just wanted to be clear..its a interesting topic to me is all.

KROM

"Cheri" wrote in message ...

"BlueBrooke" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 12:44:36 -0500, "KROM" > wrote:
>
>>if you notice she has only had protein shakes and a egg to eat..you too
>>would likely not need meds eating 8 ounces of food a day.
>>
>>this surgery only forces restraint..its not a cure..not that you said it
>>was..I'm just thinking of the people who say this "cured" them and nobody
>>thinks what if you fed a person the same food no surgery would it have the
>>same effect..I think it would..but would be much harder as the surgery
>>lets
>>you feel full on that diet while a non bypass person would feel starved.
>>
>>its interesting stuff to think about

> Actually, there has been discussion in ASD about such surgery "curing"
> T2, and there have been some interesting results.
>
> Yes, if you're only eating eight ounces of food a day, the weight loss
> is going to be swift and dramatic. And, yes, if you're only eating
> protein, there's no "carb hit" to raise the BG. But with such a small
> food intake each day, wouldn't there be issues with liver dumps?
>
> I admit I don't know the in's and out's of all of this stuff, but from
> what I've read in ASD from people who have not had this surgery, I
> would think there would be BG problems with the limited food intake? I
> know, personally, if I'm not eating much my BG can go up, especially
> in the mornings. While I'm sure the "meals" are spread throughout the
> day, wouldn't the mornings still be an issue? Evelyn says she isn't
> needing her meds anymore, so I'm assuming her FBG is fine?
>
> Just a lot of guessing, I know, but from this, and other reports, it
> seems there's something going on other than just forced restraint.

I know a couple of people in real life that have had it. One was many years
ago and she did eat her way through it after a few years, and one is really
happy with it. I saw a show on Dr. Phil once where there was some depression
going on after the surgery, due to the fact of not being able to eat some
things, but everyone is different and I think Evelyn has given it a lot of
thought before going ahead with it, so I do think she will be one of the
success stories. I think also that medicare and other insurances are
covering the surgery for most type 2's and not adhering strictly to the 100
pound overweight criteria anymore. :-)

Cheri