Posted to alt.food.diabetic
KROM KROM is offline

Default Hi everybody

the reason it is interesting to me is I know a few people who have had it
done..sadly one person had a bad one and passed away so for years I was VERY
anti bypass...but seeing it as a last resort I see its value and there are
safer surgeries now.

recently a friend was debating getting it and told her to ask the doctor if
she could try to live as if she had the surgery..eating a Dixie cup of
protein shake and taking vitamins..

they reacted as if she had asked them to cut her head off!

they insisted the surgery was her only option.

my thing is we know these surgeries get results but nobody has tested a
person with a stapled jaw eating the exact same diet as the bypass person to
see if it truly is the "gut brain" theory of it its something else.

when I was 16 they insisted I was obese because I was large for my age and
they put me on a extreme diet of 8 ounces protein a day and water..and of
course within a month I was 5 percent body fat and you could see the muscle
striations in my chest and legs and back..I am genetically well muscled and
its what got me started in body building..but the point is it clearly worked
but why no the same diet but with unlimited green veggies or something less
drastic

but ever since them insisting I was near death at 20 pounds max overweight
at 16 it made me interested in fitness and diet..plus my mother dying a
horrible death from diabetes at 37..she was always following the latest fad
she read in the mags to "cure" herself.

sadly I have no answers..my friend got the surgery and did well but returned
to eating pre surgery and gained it back and we lost touch

but I always wondered what the results would be if she tried to eating as if
she had the surgery minus the surgery test...

KROM

"BlueBrooke" wrote in message

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 12:44:36 -0500, "KROM" > wrote:

>if you notice she has only had protein shakes and a egg to eat..you too
>would likely not need meds eating 8 ounces of food a day.
>
>this surgery only forces restraint..its not a cure..not that you said it
>was..I'm just thinking of the people who say this "cured" them and nobody
>thinks what if you fed a person the same food no surgery would it have the
>same effect..I think it would..but would be much harder as the surgery lets
>you feel full on that diet while a non bypass person would feel starved.
>
>its interesting stuff to think about

Actually, there has been discussion in ASD about such surgery "curing"
T2, and there have been some interesting results.

Yes, if you're only eating eight ounces of food a day, the weight loss
is going to be swift and dramatic. And, yes, if you're only eating
protein, there's no "carb hit" to raise the BG. But with such a small
food intake each day, wouldn't there be issues with liver dumps?

I admit I don't know the in's and out's of all of this stuff, but from
what I've read in ASD from people who have not had this surgery, I
would think there would be BG problems with the limited food intake? I
know, personally, if I'm not eating much my BG can go up, especially
in the mornings. While I'm sure the "meals" are spread throughout the
day, wouldn't the mornings still be an issue? Evelyn says she isn't
needing her meds anymore, so I'm assuming her FBG is fine?

Just a lot of guessing, I know, but from this, and other reports, it
seems there's something going on other than just forced restraint.