Old 23-08-2011, 03:06 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Hi everybody

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 08:42:00 -0500, "Storrmmee"
wrote:

I have a question, why is removing part of the stomach and making the tube
prefferable to the, lap band, surgery. not sure if i got the name right,
but the stomach is bandaded and can be adjusted/removed supposedly easily...
I am just more curious than anything else, Lee

The lap band is a foreign object. You need to have it tightened
every so often, and they have to find the port under the skin, and
inject more saline in it to tighten it.

Everyone I know who got it, is fat again. Making the stomach
smaller can also result in getting fat again if you abuse it and fail
to watch your weight, but it is less likely, and there is no foreign
object to need removal.

There is a wealth of information on the internet. All the various
options are out there.

Evelyn

Old 23-08-2011, 03:51 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

BlueBrooke wrote:
snip

Actually, there has been discussion in ASD about such surgery "curing"
T2, and there have been some interesting results.

If memory serves, doesn't that have something to do with literally
reconstructing the colon so that food reaches a different part of it first?

Good luck with this, Evelyn. Glad you are feeling so well and losing weight.

Old 23-08-2011, 04:56 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 8/22/2011 4:52 AM, Evelyn wrote:

Just to let my friends on this newsgroup know that I had gastric
surgery a couple of weeks ago. I have already lost almost 30 lbs
from my highest weight. I lost twelve lbs before going into the
hospital and the rest since the surgery. The surgery my doctor chose
was the gastric sleeve, which is less invasive than the bypass.

The good news is that I have great energy, and am not using ANY
diabetes meds or insulin at this time. My numbers are great, but
then I am not eating hardly anything at all. Last night I had my
first soft boiled egg. Till now it has only been protein shakes for
all my meals.

I am glad I did it.

Evelyn

Evelyn, sounds like you are off to a great start on the weight loss,
congratulations!

Please keep us up to date on your progress!

all the best

kate
Old 23-08-2011, 06:48 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

yeah there's like 20 different types
now..bypass..bands..staples..sleeves...clips and whatnot..even balloons..lol

KROM

"Evelyn" wrote
The kind of surgery I had doesn't result in you upchucking the food.
The Rouen-Y surgery disconnects the duodenum and often results in
throwing up. I had the Gastric Sleeve. You can look it up. There
is a lot of information on the net about it. If you eat too much,
you just feel over full.

Old 23-08-2011, 07:08 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

i have had a few friends who have gotten differing ones, but other than what
they shared i know next to nothing, having as many surgeries as i did when
younger, it has never even entered my mind as an option, Lee

Old 24-08-2011, 12:22 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

[...]

yes, I know someone who had the lap banding fail, well it didn't fail,
the person did. They went on to have another procedure but I didn't want
to ask what that was and the weight loss has been miraculous and staying
off thus far. This person did have some post op complications though. I
am so pleased everything went well for you Evelyn and that you are
feeling great

Old 24-08-2011, 03:07 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 09:22:12 +1000, "Ozgirl"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Ozgirl.

:-)
Old 24-08-2011, 03:09 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 10:51:38 -0400, "Janet"
wrote:

BlueBrooke wrote:
snip

Actually, there has been discussion in ASD about such surgery "curing"
T2, and there have been some interesting results.

If memory serves, doesn't that have something to do with literally
reconstructing the colon so that food reaches a different part of it first?

Good luck with this, Evelyn. Glad you are feeling so well and losing weight.

Thanks.

They don't touch the colon. In bypass surgery they disconnect a part
of the stomach and reconnect to the small intestine further down, so
the procedure is not just restrictive, but also malabsorbtive.

I didn't have that surgery. In my case they only just made the
stomach itself smaller.

Evelyn

Old 24-08-2011, 03:50 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 09:22:12 +1000, "Ozgirl"
wrote:

Thanks, Ozgirl.

Are you taking pics of your "journey"?

Old 24-08-2011, 06:10 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

BlueBrooke wrote:
snip

Actually, there has been discussion in ASD about such surgery "curing"
T2, and there have been some interesting results.

If memory serves, doesn't that have something to do with literally
reconstructing the colon so that food reaches a different part of it first?

Hum -- it could have been that type of surgery. I thought it was the
gastric-bypass type of procedure they were talking about, but I could
be wrong on that. I'm sure one of our science nerds will know. :-)
Old 24-08-2011, 11:38 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

BlueBrooke wrote:
snip

Actually, there has been discussion in ASD about such surgery
"curing"
T2, and there have been some interesting results.

If memory serves, doesn't that have something to do with literally
reconstructing the colon so that food reaches a different part of it
first?

Hum -- it could have been that type of surgery. I thought it was the
gastric-bypass type of procedure they were talking about, but I could
be wrong on that. I'm sure one of our science nerds will know. :-)

I do remember the discussion but can't find it as yet. But I did find
this:

http://www.ccjm.org/content/77/7/468.full

"Further, why would bariatric surgery help with diabetes, and why would
one procedure do it better than another? To be honest, we are not sure,
but evidence points not only to weight loss but also to better insulin
sensitivity and to alterations in levels of hormones secreted by the gut
that increase insulin secretion."

There are references to studies on that page too.

Old 24-08-2011, 11:55 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 12:50:25 +1000, "Ozgirl"
wrote:

news
wrote:

Thanks, Ozgirl.

Are you taking pics of your "journey"?

I did take a "before" pic. As of this morning I am down 30 lbs from
my highest weight. 12 lbs I lost on their diet, which was the
easiest diet I ever went on, before surgery. The rest I lost in the
two and a half weeks since.

Evelyn
Old 24-08-2011, 11:56 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

BlueBrooke wrote:
[...]

That is with the bypass surgery. I did not have the bypass so I will
still need to watch my bg levels.

Evelyn