Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Low carb diet

So... The quandry. Angela is supposed to follow a low carb diet. But I
can not because I don't digest most protein, fats or fiber very well.

And she doesn't like low carb foods. Because of her allergies she can not
have wheat, peas, lentils, peanuts or almonds. She can have dairy only
twice a week and eggs once a week. Because of her thyroid problem she can't
have soy except in limited amounts. Like soy sauce once in a while, soy
lecithin (mainly in vitamins and supplements) and soybean oil (mainly in
restaurants).

For the most part she doesn't like meat. She will eat chicken if it is
mixed into rice or potatoes or if it is plain. No sauces of any kind. She
will eat Ian's chicken nuggets on occasion but with something like 42g of
carb, they are not low carb. Ditto for the Ian's fish sticks or the
Starfish breaded gluten free fish. Actually I think the fish has even more
carbs but not a lot. Maybe 44. She will eat tuna casserole but that
contains rice pasta so that's not low carb. Once in a great while I can get
her to eat tuna salad.

She doesn't really like any other kind of meat or fish. She does like some
lamb kebabs from Central Market but at $4.00 per kebab they are not
something I can afford to get often. But then she gets a psychological
thing going about the cute little baby lambs and sometimes when I do buy
them she can't bring herself to eat them.

She will eat turkey in a wrap (not lot carb) or with mashed potatoes. Once
in awhile she will grab a few slices of turkey or bologna and just eat that.
Once in a while she will eat pepperoni, salami or bacon.

The only way I can get her to eat beef is to mix it with something else.
And then she only gets a few bites by default because they are sticking to
her other food. Like rice, pasta or potatoes. All high carb things of
course.

She found a ham she liked the looks of the other day but it was HUGE! I
don't eat ham and her dad isn't home. I tried to talk her into a ham steak
or a package of lunch meat type ham but then she said she didn't even like
ham (I know she doesn't like it) but that the big ham just looked good. She
will eat ham if mixed into eggs but that's about it.

She will eat my meatloaf. I do plan to make a lot of those for the freezer
when the weather cools off. I hate to use the oven for long periods of time
now. I do put oats in there but not a lot and a bit of flax instead of
eggs. Also a lot of veggies that she wouldn't normally eat. I puree them.
She does know they are in there but doesn't seem to mind.

So protein is a problem. She does eat hummus and sometimes dried beans.
But no nuts or seeds of any kind. If I could find an alternate nut butter
that was safe, she would try it. But all of the ones we find say they may
contain traces of what she is allergic to. There is a sunseed butter that
is safe but she doesn't like it.

Vegetables are another matter. She will eat raw carrots, raw celery,
cucumbers and sometimes raw peppers and radishes. She will eat salad but
only if it is Romaine or Iceberg Lettuce with or without cabbage (she can't
eat much cabbage because of her thyroid) and maybe carrots. She will eat
canned green beans and wax beans.

When I make meals I almost always include onion, celery and sometimes bell
pepper. If I chop them finely enough she seems not to notice them. But
those meals were pretty high in carbs.

What to do? What to do?

Because our finances are strained at the moment I have to make do with what
we have and/or can get for cheap. I just had to spend over $700 on the
kitchen plumbing and now our toilet is broken. I already know that I need a
new one. I spent $250 on it last year at about this time to get a new
flapper. Yes, really! People pointed out to me that I could get a new
toilet for that. And certainly not by that plumber. I'm sure he would have
charged me at least double that. But I had a contractor put one in my
husband's bathroom in the Spring and I think it was around $250. I am just
waiting for him to call me back because with Angela just starting on
Metformin and my propensity for the big D I would prefer that we had two
toilets! Anyway...

I am going to have to serve up the foods that I have with us perhaps just
eating less of them and adding more raw veggies to the meal. Or more canned
green beans. I do have things that I bought that are lower in carbs like a
mix of potatoes and green beans. They come frozen. I don't know if I can
get her to eat the beans in the mix. She is good to try things but if she
doesn't like something she won't eat it. And up until now the only beans
she will eat are the canned. I do make roasted potatoes with a ton of added
onion chunks but she just eats around the onions. Gah!

So how do you get someone on a low carb diet who doesn't like low carb?

She has already made a few changes. When we go out for Mexican food she has
part of an appetizer such as nachos or bean dip and chips with a salad
topped with a piece of chicken.

At Bob's Burger and Brew she has an amended taco salad. They could not
guarantee that their chicken taco meat was safe for her in terms of
containing wheat. So they will make it for her with plain grilled chicken.
It is not sold in greasy wheat shell but with tri-colored chips around the
edge. She eats just one or two of the chips. I get the same salad but with
ground beef. And we get a small side order of Jo Jos which never gets fully
eaten even though not just the two of us eat from it but the whole table.
They also offer a raw veggie plate which we get with Italian dressing.

I did buy low carb ice cream. She liked the ice cream just okay but they
were bars with chocolate and she didn't like the chocolate at all. Plus
they contain sugar alcohols which I really didn't like her to have.

Her favorite foods are ice cream, cheese, eggs (these things must be limited
because of her allergies), rice, rice or corn pasta, corn, popcorn, potatoes
and some candies. She isn't really a big candy eater overall but she does
like Jr. Mints, hard candies, Smarties, Starburst, Nerds, so...basically the
ones that are all sugar. She has recently tried sugar free pudding and she
does like some flavors but since it contains dairy she can't have it often.
I could make it from a mix with rice milk but that would up the carb count
considerably.

I just don't know what I'm going to feed her. Especially school lunches!
Last year she ate very little for breakfast or lunch. Mostly just apples or
carrots for either one. Sometimes some kind of bar but she is limited due
to her allergies to just a few kinds of bars. I think they run about 15 to
24g per bar depending on what kind they are. Either Odwalla or granola
bars.

She doesn't want to take a thermos to school and I don't blame her! She has
to haul so much stuff in her backpack, I can't help but wonder if it wasn't
to blame for her back injury.

I will look at Costco next time we are there and see if we can get some
lightweight containers to pack salad in that are disposable. She did have
some salad containers but they were large and although not overly heavy she
didn't like hauling them back and forth. Failing that I will just go to a
store with a salad bar and buy some of their containers. So she could take
a salad sometimes and some meat and raw veg other times but I think that
would be tiring day after day.

The only good thing here is that her dance schedule for this year will be
such that she can eat her dinner before she leaves. So that is one meal I
won't have to worry about. Assuming I can come up with things to fix.

Gah! What to do! What to do?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I think that now she is 13 she is old enough to understand she has a
medical problem and it needs to be treated in a certain way. Now is the
time for her to realise that she just can't have a lot of the things she
prefers and has to bite the bullet and eat things that are better for
her but not her first choice. I have told you all often enough about my
friend's boy who has so many things he can't eat it that's its almost
down to one brand of Lemonade, rice and freshly cooked meat, can't even
have it reheated. He is now 11 and that's how it is for him. Basically
he eats what he is allowed or he starves, so he eats. To have the kinds
of health problems she is having at such a young age can mean a lifetime
of misery if she doesn't get a handle on it now. Go to a dietician and
let them figure out a workable diet for her.

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> So... The quandry. Angela is supposed to follow a low carb diet.
> But I can not because I don't digest most protein, fats or fiber very
> well.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>I think that now she is 13 she is old enough to understand she has a
>medical problem and it needs to be treated in a certain way. Now is the
>time for her to realise that she just can't have a lot of the things she
>prefers and has to bite the bullet and eat things that are better for her
>but not her first choice. I have told you all often enough about my
>friend's boy who has so many things he can't eat it that's its almost down
>to one brand of Lemonade, rice and freshly cooked meat, can't even have it
>reheated. He is now 11 and that's how it is for him. Basically he eats
>what he is allowed or he starves, so he eats. To have the kinds of health
>problems she is having at such a young age can mean a lifetime of misery if
>she doesn't get a handle on it now. Go to a dietician and let them figure
>out a workable diet for her.

That is going to be tough. I know I could never eat things that I didn't
like. I would sooner starve than to have to eat things I don't like.

I don't think the dietician is an option. She would have to see the one
that I saw and she knows nothing of food allergies. She told me to drink
lactose free milk. I told her lactose wasn't the problem. It was the milk
protein. She just told me I would have to figure something out.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 8/16/2011 11:43 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> I think that now she is 13 she is old enough to understand she has a
>> medical problem and it needs to be treated in a certain way. Now is the
>> time for her to realise that she just can't have a lot of the things she
>> prefers and has to bite the bullet and eat things that are better for her
>> but not her first choice. I have told you all often enough about my
>> friend's boy who has so many things he can't eat it that's its almost down
>> to one brand of Lemonade, rice and freshly cooked meat, can't even have it
>> reheated. He is now 11 and that's how it is for him. Basically he eats
>> what he is allowed or he starves, so he eats. To have the kinds of health
>> problems she is having at such a young age can mean a lifetime of misery if
>> she doesn't get a handle on it now. Go to a dietician and let them figure
>> out a workable diet for her.

> That is going to be tough. I know I could never eat things that I didn't
> like. I would sooner starve than to have to eat things I don't like.
>
> I don't think the dietician is an option. She would have to see the one
> that I saw and she knows nothing of food allergies. She told me to drink
> lactose free milk. I told her lactose wasn't the problem. It was the milk
> protein. She just told me I would have to figure something out.

the word was casein that you were looking for
the 'dietician' sounds like an idiot

i agree with Jan, it's time for ANGELA to decide what ANGELA will and
will and can and cannot eat.............. teach her how to find out, you
have spent your life in misery at the beck and call of your mother
making you sick

do you want this for Angela? or do you want her to be savvy on her own??

it's now or later............. she's young and capable of learning

but....... good luck

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 8/16/2011 11:43 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>> I think that now she is 13 she is old enough to understand she has a
>>> medical problem and it needs to be treated in a certain way. Now is the
>>> time for her to realise that she just can't have a lot of the things she
>>> prefers and has to bite the bullet and eat things that are better for
>>> her
>>> but not her first choice. I have told you all often enough about my
>>> friend's boy who has so many things he can't eat it that's its almost
>>> down
>>> to one brand of Lemonade, rice and freshly cooked meat, can't even have
>>> it
>>> reheated. He is now 11 and that's how it is for him. Basically he eats
>>> what he is allowed or he starves, so he eats. To have the kinds of
>>> health
>>> problems she is having at such a young age can mean a lifetime of misery
>>> if
>>> she doesn't get a handle on it now. Go to a dietician and let them
>>> figure
>>> out a workable diet for her.

>> That is going to be tough. I know I could never eat things that I didn't
>> like. I would sooner starve than to have to eat things I don't like.
>>
>> I don't think the dietician is an option. She would have to see the one
>> that I saw and she knows nothing of food allergies. She told me to drink
>> lactose free milk. I told her lactose wasn't the problem. It was the
>> milk
>> protein. She just told me I would have to figure something out.
>>

> the word was casein that you were looking for
> the 'dietician' sounds like an idiot
>
> i agree with Jan, it's time for ANGELA to decide what ANGELA will and will
> and can and cannot eat.............. teach her how to find out, you have
> spent your life in misery at the beck and call of your mother making you
> sick
>
> do you want this for Angela? or do you want her to be savvy on her own??
>
> it's now or later............. she's young and capable of learning
>
> but....... good luck

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:
Julie, this is so difficult for both you and Angela. I don't hav etoo
much to offer, but if she likes the lamb kebobs could you make some me
made with either chicken or beef with the vegetables like peppers and
tomatoes? they are not difficult to do and might give her some nice
dinners. Does she like hamburgers when you go out? If so, she can have
them on some lettuce instead of the bun which she can't eat anyway.
She could get grilled chicken the same way. that's what I do when I go
out, order a sandwich with no bread. Will she eat raw veggies like
broccoli or cauliflower dipped in humus or some other lew c arb dressing
or dip? Those dips can make many vegetables more palitable for kids.

When was she last tested for allergies? It would make life simpler if
she has grown out of a few more.

That's about it for now.

I am so sorry about ths .

Wendy

[...]

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
> Julie, this is so difficult for both you and Angela. I don't hav etoo
> much to offer, but if she likes the lamb kebobs could you make some me
> made with either chicken or beef with the vegetables like peppers and
> tomatoes? they are not difficult to do and might give her some nice
> dinners. Does she like hamburgers when you go out? If so, she can have
> them on some lettuce instead of the bun which she can't eat anyway.
> She could get grilled chicken the same way. that's what I do when I go
> out, order a sandwich with no bread. Will she eat raw veggies like
> broccoli or cauliflower dipped in humus or some other lew c arb dressing
> or dip? Those dips can make many vegetables more palitable for kids.

She will not eat anything on the kebabs but meat. No veggies. And I have
no BBQ so no way of making them. She hates hamburgers. She can get grilled
chicken at some restaurants but at others it is not safe because it contains
wheat. I don't know why they do that. For that reason she has to eat more
burgers than she would like. Because of her wheat allergy she hasn't had a
bun in years. Neither of us like burgers or chicken wrapped in lettuce. It
just makes the lettuce wilted and greasy. We just get them plain.

She really shouldn't have broccoli or cauliflower because of her thyroid.
She doesn't like it much anyway. She will eat a piece or two but that's
about it. Mostly she likes carrots and celery but she gets annoyed with
having to eat vegetables with dips and would much rather eat chips.

Last night I caught her sneaking chips with her dip. She said she was
eating vegetables. When I asked her to show me the vegetable she admittd
they were chips.

> When was she last tested for allergies? It would make life simpler if
> she has grown out of a few more.

She is due to be tested but... The Dr. who did the last testing is now
deceased. The Dr. who did the testing prior charges $2,000. We can't
afford that. Our insurance won't cover it. I have yet to find a new Dr. who
will do that kind of testing.

> That's about it for now.
>
> I am so sorry about ths .
>
> Wendy

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove > wrote:
>> Julie, this is so difficult for both you and Angela. I don't hav
>> etoo
>> much to offer, but if she likes the lamb kebobs could you make some
>> me
>> made with either chicken or beef with the vegetables like peppers
>> and
>> tomatoes? they are not difficult to do and might give her some nice
>> dinners. Does she like hamburgers when you go out? If so, she can
>> have
>> them on some lettuce instead of the bun which she can't eat anyway.
>> She could get grilled chicken the same way. that's what I do when I
>> go
>> out, order a sandwich with no bread. Will she eat raw veggies like
>> broccoli or cauliflower dipped in humus or some other lew c arb
>> dressing
>> or dip? Those dips can make many vegetables more palitable for kids.

> She will not eat anything on the kebabs but meat. No veggies. And I
> have no BBQ so no way of making them. She hates hamburgers. She can
> get grilled chicken at some restaurants but at others it is not safe
> because it contains wheat. I don't know why they do that. For that
> reason she has to eat more burgers than she would like. Because of
> her wheat allergy she hasn't had a bun in years. Neither of us like
> burgers or chicken wrapped in lettuce. It just makes the lettuce
> wilted and greasy. We just get them plain.
>
> She really shouldn't have broccoli or cauliflower because of her
> thyroid. She doesn't like it much anyway. She will eat a piece or two
> but that's about it. Mostly she likes carrots and celery but she gets
> annoyed with having to eat vegetables with dips and would much rather
> eat chips.
>
> Last night I caught her sneaking chips with her dip. She said she was
> eating vegetables. When I asked her to show me the vegetable she
> admittd they were chips.

The time has come to toss out the stuff she shouldn't be eating and then
don't buy more.

For a few weeks now I have been unable to buy much food - price wise -
because I had to pay my car registration. So for weeks now there has
been nothing but main meals (meat, vegetables, salad veggies, cereal for
one kid who eats it) plus milk, yoghurt, fruit, cheese, some juice,
bread and butter. Of course there has been whining about no snacks etc
but tough boobies, it was that or starve. Jasmine is the one who fully
doesn't understand these kinds of things and she has ripped open every
cupboard in the house looking for chips, biscuits etc but hasn't found
any. Now that rego is paid I might just stay as it is.

I have never found lettuce leaves to wilt with burgers etc. I buy large
icebergs for that kind of thing and crisp the leaves in the fridge as
soon as I have got it home and washed it. Subway will do a salad made to
your specs, with meat, without, whatever, you choose everything that
goes on it. She might like san choy bow adapted to her tastes and
allergies. Really just spiced meat and she can choose what flavourings.
Nachos is another good thing with lettuce. Burrito fillings, ditto.
Anything you make that goes with bread, wraps or corn chips can be put
in lettuce. Can fill up on the raw veggies she does like. I eat nachos
and tacos on a plate without the chips and wrap and top it with shredded
lettuce, chopped tomatoes, red onions, sour lite cream and mashed
avocado. Eat with knife and fork. Take her likes and build around that.

Jasmine go a pizza pamphlet out of the letter box earlier this week and
has stuck it under my nose a couple of times a day since Last night I
made her "pizza" on lightly toasted bread. Not what Angela could have
but an example of how to work something in. In our case it was for
financial reasons so I adapted. If I make her burgers I do them on
English muffins so they look like a McMuffin Sometimes I keep a cup
and straw from a takeaway place and fill it up at home with watered down
juice or diet drink. Mentally she is 2 so it works.

If my 16 yr old complains about hunger and its not dinner time I tell
him to drink a large glass of water or have a mandarin. That actually
works. A couple of years ago my two eldest grandkids (who are 10 and 8
now) were visiting and I got some skewers and we cut up different fruits
to make fruit kebabs. I had a few marshmallows and some chocolate sauce
as well as yoghurt and after they made their kebabs they chose not to
have the marshmallows and choc sauce. Often when kids are given a choice
of a range of things they tend to go for healthy stuff.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> The time has come to toss out the stuff she shouldn't be eating and then
> don't buy more.

I can't do that because I eat many of those things Plus at this point in
time there is simply no money to buy other food. We are going to have to
make do with what we have for at least a few weeks. I can buy some meat and
produce. But since I bought that freezer it is full to almost stuffed and
we will have to eat those things up.

> For a few weeks now I have been unable to buy much food - price wise -
> because I had to pay my car registration. So for weeks now there has been
> nothing but main meals (meat, vegetables, salad veggies, cereal for one
> kid who eats it) plus milk, yoghurt, fruit, cheese, some juice, bread and
> butter. Of course there has been whining about no snacks etc but tough
> boobies, it was that or starve. Jasmine is the one who fully doesn't
> understand these kinds of things and she has ripped open every cupboard in
> the house looking for chips, biscuits etc but hasn't found any. Now that
> rego is paid I might just stay as it is.

We don't have a lot of snacks except that we had bought some for my husband
when he was home. He eats mainly meat, ice cream, chips and other junk
food. Once in a while he will go on a vegetable or fruit kick.

> I have never found lettuce leaves to wilt with burgers etc. I buy large
> icebergs for that kind of thing and crisp the leaves in the fridge as soon
> as I have got it home and washed it. Subway will do a salad made to your
> specs, with meat, without, whatever, you choose everything that goes on
> it.

Subway is a horrible place for people with wheat alleriges. Because they
are touching the bread and then touching the meat, cheese, lettuce, etc.
they have cross contaminated all of it. Not a safe place to eat at all
unless it is one of the experimental ones in Texas (I think that's where
they are) that sell gluten free bread. They have a separate area for with a
whole separate batch of fillings so none get cross contaminated.

As for the lettuce, I have never *not* had it get soggy. To me it is just a
nasty, nasty thing to do.

>Really just spiced meat and she can choose what flavourings. Nachos is
>another good thing with lettuce. Burrito fillings, ditto. Anything you make
>that goes with bread, wraps or corn chips can be put in lettuce. Can fill
>up on the raw veggies she does like. I eat nachos and tacos on a plate
>without the chips and wrap and top it with shredded lettuce, chopped
>tomatoes, red onions, sour lite cream and mashed avocado. Eat with knife
>and fork. Take her likes and build around that.

I don't think she would like that at all. She does like salad but only
specific things on it. And remember, she can have dairy only twice a week.
Taco shells are pretty low in carbs so I'm not concerned about that.

> Jasmine go a pizza pamphlet out of the letter box earlier this week and
> has stuck it under my nose a couple of times a day since Last night I
> made her "pizza" on lightly toasted bread. Not what Angela could have but
> an example of how to work something in. In our case it was for financial
> reasons so I adapted. If I make her burgers I do them on English muffins
> so they look like a McMuffin Sometimes I keep a cup and straw from a
> takeaway place and fill it up at home with watered down juice or diet
> drink. Mentally she is 2 so it works.

Thankfully neither of us like pizza very much. My husband is the big pizza
lover so when we get it, it is usually for him. I was making GF pizza for a
while when we first found it but we can really both do without it.

> If my 16 yr old complains about hunger and its not dinner time I tell him
> to drink a large glass of water or have a mandarin. That actually works. A
> couple of years ago my two eldest grandkids (who are 10 and 8 now) were
> visiting and I got some skewers and we cut up different fruits to make
> fruit kebabs. I had a few marshmallows and some chocolate sauce as well as
> yoghurt and after they made their kebabs they chose not to have the
> marshmallows and choc sauce. Often when kids are given a choice of a range
> of things they tend to go for healthy stuff.

I tend to keep a limited amount of stuff in the house. When I don't I wind
up throwing it out. I have thrown out watermelon countless times when she
said she would eat it and didn't. Same for bologna. And certain kinds of
cheese. Yesterday it was guacamole and sour cream. The guacamole was never
even opened. She ate about half of the sour cream.

Tonight I am making chicken and potatoes. I will just have to suffer
through it since I don't like chicken at all. The potatoes are a new item.
Susan would just love them because they come in a steamer bag. Yes, I know
they contain crabs but it is a limited amount of potatoes in that bag. I
won't be able to put too much on her plate and she won't be able to go back
for more.

I had a coupon for Target for $7 off any grocery order of $75 so that is
where we did our weekly shopping. The chicken is probably enough for two
meals and I also got some pre-cooked chicken strips. She really prefers the
chicken if I don't cook it. I also got some shredded lettuce and I hope it
holds up. The last few times I got it, it got mushy before we could eat it.
Our fridge just isn't big enough for a whole head of lettuce! I have sliced
turkey and was planning to make her some Teff wraps. They are very thin so
they look like they should be low in carbs but I don't think they are.

I guess I am just going to have to ease into this while we use up the food
we have in the house, which is really quite a lot. At least of some things.
I will have to give some things to the food bank. Like the case of baked
beans and the case of apple juice in the cute little apple bottles.

She is not a super big juice drinker but she does like it once in a while.
Thankfully we do have diet juice here and I did get two bottles for free
yesterday at Target. They had a special on diet soda where if you bought a
12 pack you got a free bottle of Snapple.

My next shopping trip will be to QFC because I have coupons for free items
there.

I just can't believe how expensive everything is getting and how many things
around here are breaking down and needing to be replaced or repaired!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Julie Bove > wrote:

julie,

You can make kebabas in the broiler of your oven. I live in a city
apartment and would make them for the kids occasionally.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> julie,
>
> You can make kebabas in the broiler of your oven. I live in a city
> apartment and would make them for the kids occasionally.

I won't use the broiler. Too messy. I also don't think I could make
kebabs. I won't touch raw meat.

Too bad the chicken kebabs they sell have either wheat or peanut in them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> julie,
>
> You can make kebabas in the broiler of your oven. I live in a city
> apartment and would make them for the kids occasionally.

I make them under the grill, under the hotplate it is, not in the actual
oven (when I don't want to start up the BBQ) or even in an electric fry
pan.
I use my electric fry pan almost daily. Last night we had satay chicken
stirfry in it. Tonight I have a bag full of marinated chicken legs which
I am going to roast, don't care if I lose the marinade. In the fry pan I
am cooking halved new potatoes and sweet potatoes in oil and having some
greens and carrots on the side. I have a large sachet of liquid chicken
gravy left in the pantry so it will all turn out like a roast dinner

I went to Super Butcher this morning. Its my "off pay" week. They had
advertised by email a pack of 7 meals for 4 people for $43. When I got
there they told me it was just a recommendation of what to make with
their weekly specials. I was disappointed but starting throwing things
in the basket anyway as I had travelled 15 minutes from home and their
stuff is good. I only needed 6 meals because I still had that bag of
legs So, I tossed in a pack of their delicious sausages, 2 packs of
minced beef, one pack of sausage mince (to add to 1 pack of mince to
make rissoles) which actually had real colour in it. 2 large pieces of
chuck to make stew, 2 packs of tiny chicken legs and some bacon (will
have them with eggs and maybe chips and veggies for the kids, I am happy
to have bacon, eggs, grilled tomatoes and mushrooms. One pack of mince
will probably go to making a Shepherd's pie. When the guy rang it up it
was $42.75, lol. 25 cents less than the advertised $43.

Probably give the kids risini pasta with the stew, they have gone off
rice. Potatoes are going to feature in most stuff this week but can't be
helped. I'll have salad with my meat, its what I like anyway. I think a
few cans of tomatoes are going to be used too.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove > wrote:
>>
>> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> : ...
>> : > Julie Bove > wrote:
>>
>> julie,
>>
>> You can make kebabas in the broiler of your oven. I live in a city
>> apartment and would make them for the kids occasionally.

> I won't use the broiler. Too messy. I also don't think I could make
> kebabs. I won't touch raw meat.
>
> Too bad the chicken kebabs they sell have either wheat or peanut in
> them.

Well, the unfortunate thing now is that Angela really needs to have
certain things to get healthy so you might have to bite the bullet. Use
the disposables gloves. When Jazz was an infant she got asthma after
bronchiolitis. I had a major mask problem ever since I had a rubber mask
pumping ether into me when I had tonsils out at 3. For 2 days nurses
held her while she was on the nebuliser. After that they forced me to do
it. As they said, my child's life could depend on this and I was the
only one home with her most of the time. Yes they were brutal but it was
necessary. My kids' life and health had to come before my phobia. I
think you might have to overcome some of your problems like with fresh
meat, to help Angela. No one else is going to do it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Julie Bove > wrote:
: >
: > : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: > : ...
: > : > Julie Bove > wrote:
: >
: > julie,
: >
: > You can make kebabas in the broiler of your oven. I live in a city
: > apartment and would make them for the kids occasionally.

: I won't use the broiler. Too messy. I also don't think I could make
: kebabs. I won't touch raw meat.

: Too bad the chicken kebabs they sell have either wheat or peanut in them.
If you won't touch aw meat you are giving your daughter a much harder row
to hoe, as using al pre-prepared meat is very limiting as so much of it
ihas things she should not eat in or on it, even the non-gluten nuggests
now are very carby so they are out. You both have many dietary limittions
but it is so much worse when you set, in effect, additional limits on the
food because you don't like to handle it. It makes for an extremely tough
situation, unless you get Angela, with her busy schedule to learn to cook
the things you are unwilling to cook.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>>> Julie Bove > wrote:
>>>
>>> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>>> : ...
>>> : > Julie Bove > wrote:
>>>
>>> julie,
>>>
>>> You can make kebabas in the broiler of your oven. I live in a city
>>> apartment and would make them for the kids occasionally.

>> I won't use the broiler. Too messy. I also don't think I could make
>> kebabs. I won't touch raw meat.
>>
>> Too bad the chicken kebabs they sell have either wheat or peanut in them.

> Well, the unfortunate thing now is that Angela really needs to have
> certain things to get healthy so you might have to bite the bullet. Use
> the disposables gloves. When Jazz was an infant she got asthma after
> bronchiolitis. I had a major mask problem ever since I had a rubber mask
> pumping ether into me when I had tonsils out at 3. For 2 days nurses held
> her while she was on the nebuliser. After that they forced me to do it. As
> they said, my child's life could depend on this and I was the only one
> home with her most of the time. Yes they were brutal but it was necessary.
> My kids' life and health had to come before my phobia. I think you might
> have to overcome some of your problems like with fresh meat, to help
> Angela. No one else is going to do it.

There is no way I will handle raw meat even with gloves on. And no way I
will use the broiler. There is no way of knowing if she would even like the
kebabs. Chances are she wouldn't. She just doesn't like meat when I cook
it. I found part of tonight's dinner on the kitchen floor. I guess she
thought I wouldn't see it there? A piece of meat and a potato with one bite
taken out of them. She said she liked the potatoes. Apparently not. I
didn't like them one bit. Most likely because of the garlic. Luckily it
was a small dinner but apparently too much meat for me.

My stomach has really been bothering me lately and the foods I seem to
digest the best are white bread, white rice, and mashed potatoes. I hate
eating these things around her but... I guess I have no choice. Especially
since we are down to one toilet now.

I am hoping the guy will show up tomorrow like he said he would to finish my
driveway and then I can ask him if he could put in a new toilet. After we
get that paid off I will take her to Smart Eats. They sell gluten free
stuff and low carb stuff. In most cases you get one or the other. And I
think most of the low carb stuff will be out for her because it contains
nuts or soy. But we might find something she can eat.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > Julie Bove > wrote:
> : >
> : > : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : > : ...
> : > : > Julie Bove > wrote:
> : >
> : > julie,
> : >
> : > You can make kebabas in the broiler of your oven. I live in a city
> : > apartment and would make them for the kids occasionally.
>
> : I won't use the broiler. Too messy. I also don't think I could make
> : kebabs. I won't touch raw meat.
>
> : Too bad the chicken kebabs they sell have either wheat or peanut in
> them.
> If you won't touch aw meat you are giving your daughter a much harder row
> to hoe, as using al pre-prepared meat is very limiting as so much of it
> ihas things she should not eat in or on it, even the non-gluten nuggests
> now are very carby so they are out. You both have many dietary limittions
> but it is so much worse when you set, in effect, additional limits on the
> food because you don't like to handle it. It makes for an extremely tough
> situation, unless you get Angela, with her busy schedule to learn to cook
> the things you are unwilling to cook.

I do know how to cook. She just won't eat most of what I cook. She doesn't
like my chicken and I don't know why. I was overcooking it for a while
because that is what I learned to do from my mother. I can not eat meat
myself unless it is very overcooked and dried out because that is what I
grew up on.

Tonight I made chicken tenders in a skillet with only some Herbamare. No
comment at all on the chicken. Which I guess is better than a complaint. I
did however find a piece of meat and a potato on the kitchen floor, each
with a bite taken out of them. She did say she liked the potatoes. But I
hated them so I don't think I will be buying them again.

She does like the cooked, frozen chicken strips. They are not breaded. And
because I wrote to the company I have a couple of really good coupons for
them. So I can get them for little money. She also likes the refrigerated
cooked strips, again unbreaded that Target sells. They don't cost a lot.
And she likes some Mexican seasoned shredded chicken that I got at Costco.
I have forgotten to look for it the last few times I was in.

I have tried to cook chicken a variety of ways. The only way she ever liked
it was in Chicken Vesuvio and she refuses to eat it now because of the wine
in it. Not that she could eat it now because it contains a lot of potatoes.
It is not good at all with the wine in it. I did try it without. Really
seemed like it was lacking something.

I don't know when and if her tastebuds will change. If she eats the same
thing day after day I guess that's fine with me. She does however seem to
get bored with foods faster than I did/do. I ate the same lunch every day
through all of 7th grade, then switched to something else for all of 8th
grade. Throughout 9th grade and high school, I pretty much lived off of
trail mix and salad when I was out. I had something more substantial for
breakfast but was too busy with extracurricular activities to take much time
out to eat. And when I did go out to eat I had salads.

Member

Apart from obesity, low-carbohydrate diets are used as treatments for some other conditions, notably diabetes and epilepsy, but also for chronic fatigue syndrome (see ketosis) and polycystic ovarian syndrome.
__________________
used car
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Hormel and a few others make pre cooked meats like roasts and chicken
breasts that aren't breaded

http://www.hormelfoods.com/brands/ho...edEntrees.aspx

KROM

"W. Baker" wrote

using all pre-prepared meat is very limiting as so much of it
ihas things she should not eat in or on it, even the non-gluten nuggests
now are very carby so they are out. You both have many dietary limittions
but it is so much worse when you set, in effect, additional limits on the
food because you don't like to handle it. It makes for an extremely tough
situation

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"KROM" > wrote in message ...
> Hormel and a few others make pre cooked meats like roasts and chicken
> breasts that aren't breaded
>
> http://www.hormelfoods.com/brands/ho...edEntrees.aspx

But the only ones that don't contain her allergens are the Roast Beef Au
Jus, the same but Italian seasoned (yuck) and the Pork Au Jus. She does
like the first and last ones but she likes them with pasta. She will only
eat a tiny bit of the meat and mostly the pasta.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "KROM" > wrote in message ...
: > Hormel and a few others make pre cooked meats like roasts and chicken
: > breasts that aren't breaded
: >
: > http://www.hormelfoods.com/brands/ho...edEntrees.aspx

: But the only ones that don't contain her allergens are the Roast Beef Au
: Jus, the same but Italian seasoned (yuck) and the Pork Au Jus. She does
: like the first and last ones but she likes them with pasta. She will only
: eat a tiny bit of the meat and mostly the pasta.

Can yu tel her that she can't have more than a tiny portion of pasta , but
could try string beans(fresh or canned) or spaghetti squash in place of
the pasta. let her know that there really are no cjoices out side this ,
unless she will eatthe meat plain, with aoem vegetable , etc. She did
learn not to eat foods she is allergic. Now she has some now things she
has to learn she cannot't eat in large enough portions that she fills her
enough, so she has to keep trying too find what she can like and is able
to keep her from getting sick.

Can you find a couse at a Y or some such place that could help you learn
new ways of cooking fresh foods? It might be good for both of you. You
do not have to cook like your Mother. You are young enough to learn new
techniques. It is not a matter of recipes, but methods of cooking like
broiling, etc. You can easily not get everything greasy by broiling if
you take a shlalow metal or enamel over metal pan without a handle, cover
it with aluminum foile and put a grate on the pan and then use that to
broil the chicken or meat. With chicken, you firt start with it sking
side down, and only when close to done, but not all dried out, turn it
over and brown the skin side. You can put herbs, lemon juice, salt and
pepper, etc on the chicken before you broil it.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> I don't know when and if her tastebuds will change.

It seems to me it's her behavior that has to change. Why is this all
about what she likes? This is a requirement for her health. She's just
got to do it.

I doubt very much she'll starve herself to death rather than eat food
that she doesn't prefer.

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "KROM" > wrote in message
> : > Hormel and a few others make pre cooked meats like roasts and chicken
> : > breasts that aren't breaded
> : >
> : >
> http://www.hormelfoods.com/brands/ho...edEntrees.aspx
>
> : But the only ones that don't contain her allergens are the Roast Beef Au
> : Jus, the same but Italian seasoned (yuck) and the Pork Au Jus. She does
> : like the first and last ones but she likes them with pasta. She will
> only
> : eat a tiny bit of the meat and mostly the pasta.
>
> Can yu tel her that she can't have more than a tiny portion of pasta , but
> could try string beans(fresh or canned) or spaghetti squash in place of
> the pasta. let her know that there really are no cjoices out side this ,
> unless she will eatthe meat plain, with aoem vegetable , etc. She did
> learn not to eat foods she is allergic. Now she has some now things she
> has to learn she cannot't eat in large enough portions that she fills her
> enough, so she has to keep trying too find what she can like and is able
> to keep her from getting sick.

Spaghetti squash is just nasty. Nobody in the house will eat it. She will
eat canned green beans but only one serving.

> Can you find a couse at a Y or some such place that could help you learn
> new ways of cooking fresh foods? It might be good for both of you. You
> do not have to cook like your Mother. You are young enough to learn new
> techniques. It is not a matter of recipes, but methods of cooking like
> broiling, etc. You can easily not get everything greasy by broiling if
> you take a shlalow metal or enamel over metal pan without a handle, cover
> it with aluminum foile and put a grate on the pan and then use that to
> broil the chicken or meat. With chicken, you firt start with it sking
> side down, and only when close to done, but not all dried out, turn it
> over and brown the skin side. You can put herbs, lemon juice, salt and
> pepper, etc on the chicken before you broil it.

I just do not like to use the broiler at all ever. It makes the house too
hot. I also will not cook any chicken with skin nor will Angela eat chicken
with skin on it.

There is no Y around here. There are a couple that I know of. Not close
by. I don't think they offer any cooking classes. I did go to cooking
school. I do know how to cook.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> There is no way I will handle raw meat even with gloves on. And no way I
> will use the broiler. There is no way of knowing if she would even like the
> kebabs. Chances are she wouldn't. She just doesn't like meat when I cook
> it. I found part of tonight's dinner on the kitchen floor. I guess she
> thought I wouldn't see it there? A piece of meat and a potato with one bite
> taken out of them. She said she liked the potatoes. Apparently not. I
> didn't like them one bit. Most likely because of the garlic. Luckily it
> was a small dinner but apparently too much meat for me.

Here we have a mother who refuses to touch raw meat even with gloves on
in order to help her daughter.

And in the other corner a teenaged girl who throws food on the floor
after taking a bite out of it.

Seems to me the least of your problems is preparing food that Angela
will deign to eat.

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> I don't know when and if her tastebuds will change.

> It seems to me it's her behavior that has to change. Why is this all
> about what she likes? This is a requirement for her health. She's just
> got to do it.

Well maybe *you* can eat food that you don't like. I can't and she can't
either. I would seriously rather starve than to eat something I don't like.
In fact if something I don't like goes in my mouth it just won't go down. I
start retching and gagging and it comes right back out. She is the same
way. So I have to try to come up with things she will like to eat.

> I doubt very much she'll starve herself to death rather than eat food
> that she doesn't prefer.

I would! I do not like torturing myself.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> There is no way I will handle raw meat even with gloves on. And no way I
>> will use the broiler. There is no way of knowing if she would even like
>> the
>> kebabs. Chances are she wouldn't. She just doesn't like meat when I
>> cook
>> it. I found part of tonight's dinner on the kitchen floor. I guess she
>> thought I wouldn't see it there? A piece of meat and a potato with one
>> bite
>> taken out of them. She said she liked the potatoes. Apparently not. I
>> didn't like them one bit. Most likely because of the garlic. Luckily it
>> was a small dinner but apparently too much meat for me.

> Here we have a mother who refuses to touch raw meat even with gloves on
> in order to help her daughter.

How would my touching raw meat help her? There are plenty of ways to cook
meat without touching it. If I've made it to 52 without touching raw meat I
can make it another 52 years without touching it. Unless something else ges
me first.

> And in the other corner a teenaged girl who throws food on the floor
> after taking a bite out of it.
>
> Seems to me the least of your problems is preparing food that Angela

Oh you're a fine one to give advice about kids. Seeing as how you have so
many yourself!

There are plenty of ways to dispose of food you don't like. I know of at
least a dozen of them and my parents didn't know of a lot of them. Because
I recently asked them. She is just not as clever as I am/was.

I would just as soon she tell me if she doesn't like something. Then I
won't make it again. Not for her anyway. No need to waste my time and
money.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> news
>> In article >,
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>
>>> I don't know when and if her tastebuds will change.

>> It seems to me it's her behavior that has to change. Why is this all
>> about what she likes? This is a requirement for her health. She's
>> just
>> got to do it.

> Well maybe *you* can eat food that you don't like. I can't and she
> can't either. I would seriously rather starve than to eat something I
> don't like. In fact if something I don't like goes in my mouth it just
> won't go down. I start retching and gagging and it comes right back
> out. She is the same way. So I have to try to come up with things
> she will like to eat.
>>
>> I doubt very much she'll starve herself to death rather than eat food
>> that she doesn't prefer.

> I would! I do not like torturing myself.

Julie, I am not sure you are understanding the severity of Angela's
health problems. 1. having the problems she has at 13 is so rare, this
could be the beginning of a lifetime of shocking things for her -
health-wise. 2. She is not you and she, if she is made to realise the
severity of her condition, may very well choose different foods rather
than starve. You can't speak for her. 3. What if she ends up needing
insulin to survive but hates needles? Do you let her die because you
don't want to force her to do what is necessary to live? 4. Do you
really want to see her on a dangerous drug at age 13? 2,000 mg Metformin
could do terrible things to her. I would be avoiding that like the
plague at her age. Her health problems aren't going to go away unless
you actively help her make some serious dietary changes, whether she
likes them or not. She is well and truly old enough to realise the
consequences.

Young kids all over the world have to go on special diets and medical
treatments to stay alive, its just a fact of life and these kids have to
deal with it, whether they are 2 or 13. I can see your point about not
wanting to force things she doesn't like but its not a choice thing
anymore, its really serious life threatening stuff. I personally would
be getting an appt with a kids' hospital endo. Jasmine's open heart
surgery and 6 weeks in intensive care cost close to $200,000. I paid
nothing, I couldn't have paid $200 but if I was told without paying she
wouldn't have the op then I would do everything in my power to get that
money even if I had to sell myself on street corners, no joke. I would
actually do something so abhorrent to raise that money. Please don't
give in to her on this Julie. As a mother, this is very hard for me to
watch.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> So... The quandry. Angela is supposed to follow a low carb diet. But I can
> not because I don't digest most protein, fats or fiber very well.
>
> And she doesn't like low carb foods. Because of her allergies she can not
> have wheat, peas, lentils, peanuts or almonds. She can have dairy only twice
> a week and eggs once a week.

Goat milk will solve that. Duck eggs might solve the egg problem

Because of her thyroid problem she can't
> have soy except in limited amounts. Like soy sauce once in a while, soy
> lecithin (mainly in vitamins and supplements) and soybean oil (mainly in
> restaurants).
>
> For the most part she doesn't like meat. She will eat chicken if it is mixed
> into rice or potatoes or if it is plain. No sauces of any kind. She will
> eat Ian's chicken nuggets on occasion but with something like 42g of carb,
> they are not low carb. Ditto for the Ian's fish sticks or the Starfish
> breaded gluten free fish.

You could bread with potato flakes or use any of the following gluten free
grains http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/reci...des/grains.php

> Actually I think the fish has even more
> carbs but not a lot. Maybe 44. She will eat tuna casserole but that
> contains rice pasta so that's not low carb.

plenty of gluten free grains/pasta

> Once in a great while I can get

her to eat tuna salad.

> She doesn't really like any other kind of meat or fish. She does like some
> lamb kebabs from Central Market but at $4.00 per kebab they are not something
> I can afford to get often. But then she gets a psychological thing going
> about the cute little baby lambs and sometimes when I do buy them she can't
> bring herself to eat them.

her problem, but more for you

> She will eat turkey in a wrap (not lot carb) or with mashed potatoes. Once
> in awhile she will grab a few slices of turkey or bologna and just eat that.
> Once in a while she will eat pepperoni, salami or bacon.

all such wonderful non-junk foods?

> She will eat my meatloaf. I do plan to make a lot of those for the freezer
> when the weather cools off. I hate to use the oven for long periods of time
> now. I do put oats in there but not a lot and a bit of flax instead of eggs.
> Also a lot of veggies that she wouldn't normally eat. I puree them. She
> does know they are in there but doesn't seem to mind.

Let meatloaf be your savior, but how do you make meatloaf without touching raw
meat?

> So how do you get someone on a low carb diet who doesn't like low carb?

Just a suggestion, and I know how prickly you get when you actually get help,
but I'd write a gut-wrenching letter to Rachel Ray and Dr Oz (In fact todays
episode showed an extremely low-carb, gluten free, low fat, low calorie pizza
that used cauliflower for the base...yes, this is where you tell us your tale
of woe about her and veggies) and see if they think you would make a good show
or even a good reality series. I'd also write to every food show on the food
channel and see if anyone would take pity on you.

And then there are the clinical trials that you might qualify for, but of
course haven't looked for.

> She has already made a few changes. When we go out for Mexican food she has
> part of an appetizer such as nachos or bean dip and chips with a salad topped
> with a piece of chicken.

all low-carb?

> Gah! What to do! What to do?

You could of course actually involve your daughter in the solution instead of
treating her like a baby. The fact that you tolerate her throwing food on the
floor shows your inability to treat her like an adult. You could have her cook
those raw meats you won't touch...but that would require you getting involved
with her instead of her problem.

It might be interesting to find out what she has done in regards to searching
for answers to her problems...she is searching for answers, isn't she?

--

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras lobortis volutpat
commodo. Morbi lobortis, massa fringilla adipiscing suscipit, velit urna
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I've taken to using grated zucchini sauteed in olive oil as a pasta
substitute under things like chicken breast cooked in pasta sauce. Maybe
she'd like it.

In any case, as others have said, she is going to have to start taking some
responsibility for her own nutrition, and to try to overcome this excessive
finickiness. Allergies are one thing, but she seems to have an awful lot of
extreme food phobias.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> It seems to me it's her behavior that has to change. Why is this all
>>> about what she likes? This is a requirement for her health. She's just
>>> got to do it.

>> Well maybe *you* can eat food that you don't like. I can't and she can't
>> either. I would seriously rather starve than to eat something I don't
>> like. In fact if something I don't like goes in my mouth it just won't go
>> down. I start retching and gagging and it comes right back out. She is
>> the same way. So I have to try to come up with things she will like to
>> eat.
>>>
>>> I doubt very much she'll starve herself to death rather than eat food
>>> that she doesn't prefer.

>> I would! I do not like torturing myself.

> Julie, I am not sure you are understanding the severity of Angela's health
> problems. 1. having the problems she has at 13 is so rare, this could be
> the beginning of a lifetime of shocking things for her - health-wise. 2.
> She is not you and she, if she is made to realise the severity of her
> condition, may very well choose different foods rather than starve. You
> can't speak for her. 3. What if she ends up needing insulin to survive but
> hates needles? Do you let her die because you don't want to force her to
> do what is necessary to live? 4. Do you really want to see her on a
> dangerous drug at age 13? 2,000 mg Metformin could do terrible things to
> her. I would be avoiding that like the plague at her age. Her health
> problems aren't going to go away unless you actively help her make some
> serious dietary changes, whether she likes them or not. She is well and
> truly old enough to realise the consequences.

I am certainly not speaking for her. I just hate it when people make
blanket statements like that. She doesn't hate needles. I did. I have to
use them now. I still don't like them. I never will. I punched a nurse
when I was a kid because I didn't want her to draw my blood. Angela has
never had problems getting shots or blood draws. She has no problems when I
have tested her BG.

She is on the Metformin. I don't think we can avoid that. We don't know if
the low carb diet will help or not. I do know it doesn't help me. It makes
my blood sugar go high. I guess we won't know with her unless/until they do
another A1c because she isn't testing at home.

> Young kids all over the world have to go on special diets and medical
> treatments to stay alive, its just a fact of life and these kids have to
> deal with it, whether they are 2 or 13. I can see your point about not
> wanting to force things she doesn't like but its not a choice thing
> anymore, its really serious life threatening stuff. I personally would be
> getting an appt with a kids' hospital endo. Jasmine's open heart surgery
> and 6 weeks in intensive care cost close to $200,000. I paid nothing, I
> couldn't have paid $200 but if I was told without paying she wouldn't have
> the op then I would do everything in my power to get that money even if I
> had to sell myself on street corners, no joke. I would actually do
> something so abhorrent to raise that money. Please don't give in to her on
> this Julie. As a mother, this is very hard for me to watch.

There is no way I could go to a kid's hospital Endo. The only place like
that around here is Children's Hospital. It is not near here and we have to
go there for her back and foot. There is a severe lack of Children's
Hospitals around here apparently and people come from many states over to
get to this one. As such the waiting list for an appointment can be as long
as 6 months. And they do not have any appointments after school You would
think being a place for children, they would do this.

Maybe the school your daughter goes to doesn't mind if they miss school for
a Drs. appointment. Angela's school does. In fact she was chastised for
this on her report card. Now I have no choice but to take her there for her
back and her foot because nobody else around here will treat children of her
age. And it remains to be seen if she will have to miss any school for
those things. She does go next week for both things. We'll see.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> [...]

> And then there are the clinical trials that you might qualify for, but of
> course haven't looked for.
>

>> She has already made a few changes. When we go out for Mexican food she
>> has
>> part of an appetizer such as nachos or bean dip and chips with a salad
>> topped
>> with a piece of chicken.

> all low-carb?
>

>> Gah! What to do! What to do?

> You could of course actually involve your daughter in the solution instead
> of
> treating her like a baby. The fact that you tolerate her throwing food on
> the
> floor shows your inability to treat her like an adult. You could have her
> cook
> those raw meats you won't touch...but that would require you getting

Where did I say that she threw food on the floor? I didn't. I said I found
it on the floor. How it got there I do not know. I really don't care.
Could be one of our cats did it. The kitten does like to get into the
trash. I did get a lidded trash can today. So if it is the cats doing it,
that problem will be solves unless they figure out how to open the lid.
Which they may well do because they are very smart.

As for touching raw meat... Do you really think she would do it? Nope.
She has no interest whatever in cooking. And that's fine. As long as she
knows how to get food that works for me. She can do stuff in the microwave.
My dad will soon turn 80 and my mom is 78. They rarely ever cook. Not
everyone enjoys that sort of thing. I do. I just don't like messing with
dead things.

> It might be interesting to find out what she has done in regards to
> searching
> for answers to her problems...she is searching for answers, isn't she?

Why would she be searching for answers? She's 13!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> I've taken to using grated zucchini sauteed in olive oil as a pasta
> substitute under things like chicken breast cooked in pasta sauce. Maybe
> she'd like it.
>
> In any case, as others have said, she is going to have to start taking
> some responsibility for her own nutrition, and to try to overcome this
> excessive finickiness. Allergies are one thing, but she seems to have an
> awful lot of extreme food phobias.

Nope. She haters zucchini. I will put a little in when I make a vegetable
soup. If I put too much everyone starts complaining. Nobody really likes
it here. We don't like any kind of squash. She doesn't really like pasta
sauce on her chicken either. She just likes plain chicken breast.

There is an Italian place in Lynnwood that makes chicken that she loves. It
is a cutlet, unbreaded. The menu says it is marinated. I asked them what
they marinate it in and they said olive oil and lemon juice. Seems simple
enough but when I tried to make it she didn't like it. I did try it at the
restaurant and I didn't like it at all. But then I don't like chicken.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> Where did I say that she threw food on the floor? I didn't. I said I found
> it on the floor. How it got there I do not know. I really don't care.

There it is:"I don't care". Of course you don't, because if you did, you'd get
answers you don't want

> Could be one of our cats did it. The kitten does like to get into the
> trash. I did get a lidded trash can today. So if it is the cats doing it,
> that problem will be solves unless they figure out how to open the lid.
> Which they may well do because they are very smart.

And what are you going to do when food magically appears on the floor after
you've implemented your new lidded trash can? "Oh the cats must have figured out
how to get the lid open"

> As for touching raw meat... Do you really think she would do it? Nope.

Of course not, because she has you to do it for her. You are some mother,
preparing your child for the world when she's on her own.

> She has no interest whatever in cooking. And that's fine. As long as she
> knows how to get food that works for me.

In that case, there's no problem so why did you post yet another insane thread?

She can do stuff in the microwave.
> My dad will soon turn 80 and my mom is 78. They rarely ever cook. Not
> everyone enjoys that sort of thing. I do. I just don't like messing with
> dead things.
> >
> > It might be interesting to find out what she has done in regards to
> > searching
> > for answers to her problems...she is searching for answers, isn't she?

> Why would she be searching for answers? She's 13!

1) because it's her problem, not yours

2) because some day you will die and she will have to take care of herself

3) because 13 is way old enough for her to take charge of her body and herself.
You actually seem quite proud that she is indifferent to her issues. Way to go
mom.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> There is an Italian place in Lynnwood that makes chicken that she loves. It
> is a cutlet, unbreaded. The menu says it is marinated. I asked them what
> they marinate it in and they said olive oil and lemon juice. Seems simple
> enough but when I tried to make it she didn't like it.

of course not. this way she has trained you to take to eat at restaurants
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Julie Bove"
> >
> wrote:
>

>> Where did I say that she threw food on the floor? I didn't. I said I
>> found
>> it on the floor. How it got there I do not know. I really don't care.

> There it is:"I don't care". Of course you don't, because if you did, you'd
> get
> answers you don't want

What is that supposed to mean? I have no way of knowing how it got on the
floor. I don't have a security cam. I have better things to do than to
worry about how two pieces of food got on the floor yesterday.

>> Could be one of our cats did it. The kitten does like to get into the
>> trash. I did get a lidded trash can today. So if it is the cats doing
>> it,
>> that problem will be solves unless they figure out how to open the lid.
>> Which they may well do because they are very smart.

> And what are you going to do when food magically appears on the floor
> after
> you've implemented your new lidded trash can? "Oh the cats must have
> figured out
> how to get the lid open"

Well no because of the design of it. They can't open it *and* get in it.
So if I see food on the floor after that I'll know Angela did it. Or if my
husband is home maybe he did it.

>> As for touching raw meat... Do you really think she would do it? Nope.

> Of course not, because she has you to do it for her. You are some mother,
> preparing your child for the world when she's on her own.

It is not necessary to touch raw meat to cook. It really isn't.

>> She has no interest whatever in cooking. And that's fine. As long as
>> she
>> knows how to get food that works for me.

> In that case, there's no problem so why did you post yet another insane
> thread?

Insane? I don't think so.

> She can do stuff in the microwave.
>> My dad will soon turn 80 and my mom is 78. They rarely ever cook. Not
>> everyone enjoys that sort of thing. I do. I just don't like messing
>> with
>> dead things.
>> >
>> > It might be interesting to find out what she has done in regards to
>> > searching
>> > for answers to her problems...she is searching for answers, isn't she?

>> Why would she be searching for answers? She's 13!

> 1) because it's her problem, not yours

You must not have children. To expect a 13 year old to be responsible for
her medial stuff is what's insane.

She has a friend who is a type 1 diabetic. She sneaks food all the time.
It's what kids do. If kids of that age didn't need their parents then they
would commonly be emancipated. And they're not.

> 2) because some day you will die and she will have to take care of herself

And hopefully she will be old enough to take care of herself when I do die.

My parents left me home alone when I was 13. Not for the day but like...for
a week. I did things I wasn't supposed to do. That's what kids do!

> 3) because 13 is way old enough for her to take charge of her body and
> herself.

What country do you live in where this is the law?

> You actually seem quite proud that she is indifferent to her issues. Way
> to go
> mom.

I never said she was indifferent. But what I will say is that you are an
asshole. Yep. ASSHOLE!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Julie Bove"
> >
> wrote:
>
>> There is an Italian place in Lynnwood that makes chicken that she loves.
>> It
>> is a cutlet, unbreaded. The menu says it is marinated. I asked them
>> what
>> they marinate it in and they said olive oil and lemon juice. Seems
>> simple
>> enough but when I tried to make it she didn't like it.

> of course not. this way she has trained you to take to eat at restaurants

I don't take her to eat there. We haven't been there in years. They don't
really have anything I will eat.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 8/18/2011 7:14 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message

[snip]
> There is an Italian place in Lynnwood that makes chicken that she loves. It
> is a cutlet, unbreaded. The menu says it is marinated. I asked them what
> they marinate it in and they said olive oil and lemon juice. Seems simple
> enough but when I tried to make it she didn't like it. I did try it at the
> restaurant and I didn't like it at all. But then I don't like chicken.

Could you have gotten the proportions between the chicken, olive
oil, and lemon juice wrong? Is she able to give you more details
about what she doesn't like about your version so you can try
another variation?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> > In article >, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> There is an Italian place in Lynnwood that makes chicken that she loves.
> >> It is a cutlet, unbreaded. The menu says it is marinated. I asked them
> >> what they marinate it in and they said olive oil and lemon juice. Seems
> >> simple enough but when I tried to make it she didn't like it.

> > of course not. this way she has trained you to take to eat at restaurants

> I don't take her to eat there. We haven't been there in years. They don't
> really have anything I will eat.

but they have stuff that DD will eat and it was important enough for you to
mention
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> > There it is:"I don't care". Of course you don't, because if you did, you'd
> > get answers you don't want
> >

> What is that supposed to mean? I have no way of knowing how it got on the
> floor. I don't have a security cam. I have better things to do than to
> worry about how two pieces of food got on the floor yesterday.

Your context when mentioning you found it on the floor strongly implied that DD
put it there. As to not knowing how it got there, why not ask your kittens...oh
wait, maybe you could ask DD, but as I said, you really don't want to know that
she did it, do you?

> > And what are you going to do when food magically appears on the floor after
> > you've implemented your new lidded trash can? "Oh the cats must have
> > figured out how to get the lid open"

> Well no because of the design of it. They can't open it *and* get in it. So
> if I see food on the floor after that I'll know Angela did it. Or if my
> husband is home maybe he did it.

So, instead of actually asking DD if she did it, you went out and spent money,
which you have previously mentioned is a concern for you, on a possibly
unnecessary item?

> >> As for touching raw meat... Do you really think she would do it? Nope.

> > Of course not, because she has you to do it for her. You are some mother,
> > preparing your child for the world when she's on her own.

> It is not necessary to touch raw meat to cook. It really isn't.

Which in no way is the same thing as having DD take *SOME* responsibility for
both her disease/illness and diet

> >> She has no interest whatever in cooking. And that's fine. As long as she
> >> knows how to get food that works for me.

> > In that case, there's no problem so why did you post yet another insane
> > thread?

> Insane? I don't think so.

The "so" seems totally redundant

> >> Why would she be searching for answers? She's 13!

> > 1) because it's her problem, not yours

> You must not have children. To expect a 13 year old to be responsible for
> her medial stuff is what's insane.

I'm not talking about her medical stuff, I'm talking about the stuff she puts in
her mouth, which hopefully is food

> She has a friend who is a type 1 diabetic. She sneaks food all the time.
> It's what kids do. If kids of that age didn't need their parents then they
> would commonly be emancipated. And they're not.

They would be commonly emancipated if they could prove they are responsible.
Since you seem unlike to provide an environment that encourages DD to be
responsible, she will enter legal adulthood totally unprepared to take care of
herself.

> > 2) because some day you will die and she will have to take care of herself

> And hopefully she will be old enough to take care of herself when I do die.

She's old enough to take care of herself now, it's just that you don't want her
to take care of herself.

> My parents left me home alone when I was 13. Not for the day but like...for
> a week. I did things I wasn't supposed to do. That's what kids do!

Oh, so at age 13 you were able to feed and clothe yourself, but DD isn't?

> > 3) because 13 is way old enough for her to take charge of her body and
> > herself.

> What country do you live in where this is the law?

What has the law got to do with taking responsibility for her body and herself?

> > You actually seem quite proud that she is indifferent to her issues. Way to
> > go mom.

> I never said she was indifferent. But what I will say is that you are an
> asshole. Yep. ASSHOLE!

I'd be insulted, but in my experience, such lame insults from defective mothers
means nothing except that you are angry with yourself

[...]
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
.com...
> On 8/18/2011 7:14 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message

> [snip]
>> There is an Italian place in Lynnwood that makes chicken that she loves.
>> It
>> is a cutlet, unbreaded. The menu says it is marinated. I asked them
>> what
>> they marinate it in and they said olive oil and lemon juice. Seems
>> simple
>> enough but when I tried to make it she didn't like it. I did try it at
>> the
>> restaurant and I didn't like it at all. But then I don't like chicken.

> Could you have gotten the proportions between the chicken, olive
> oil, and lemon juice wrong? Is she able to give you more details
> about what she doesn't like about your version so you can try
> another variation?

I doubt it. I think the mere fact that I made it had something to do with
it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Julie Bove"
> >
> wrote:
>
>> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
>> > In article >, "Julie Bove"

>> > of course not. this way she has trained you to take to eat at
>> > restaurants

>> I don't take her to eat there. We haven't been there in years. They
>> don't
>> really have anything I will eat.

> but they have stuff that DD will eat and it was important enough for you
> mention

She is my daughter. She is not DD. I do not refer to anyone in that manner
and I hope they don't refer to me like that either. I think it's
disgusting. I used to work with some people that were some sort of
fundamentalist religion and they referred to everyone as "dear". That's
what it reminds me of.