Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ozgirl Ozgirl is offline

Default Low carb diet

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove > wrote:
>> Julie, this is so difficult for both you and Angela. I don't hav
>> etoo
>> much to offer, but if she likes the lamb kebobs could you make some
>> me
>> made with either chicken or beef with the vegetables like peppers
>> and
>> tomatoes? they are not difficult to do and might give her some nice
>> dinners. Does she like hamburgers when you go out? If so, she can
>> have
>> them on some lettuce instead of the bun which she can't eat anyway.
>> She could get grilled chicken the same way. that's what I do when I
>> go
>> out, order a sandwich with no bread. Will she eat raw veggies like
>> broccoli or cauliflower dipped in humus or some other lew c arb
>> dressing
>> or dip? Those dips can make many vegetables more palitable for kids.

> She will not eat anything on the kebabs but meat. No veggies. And I
> have no BBQ so no way of making them. She hates hamburgers. She can
> get grilled chicken at some restaurants but at others it is not safe
> because it contains wheat. I don't know why they do that. For that
> reason she has to eat more burgers than she would like. Because of
> her wheat allergy she hasn't had a bun in years. Neither of us like
> burgers or chicken wrapped in lettuce. It just makes the lettuce
> wilted and greasy. We just get them plain.
>
> She really shouldn't have broccoli or cauliflower because of her
> thyroid. She doesn't like it much anyway. She will eat a piece or two
> but that's about it. Mostly she likes carrots and celery but she gets
> annoyed with having to eat vegetables with dips and would much rather
> eat chips.
>
> Last night I caught her sneaking chips with her dip. She said she was
> eating vegetables. When I asked her to show me the vegetable she
> admittd they were chips.

The time has come to toss out the stuff she shouldn't be eating and then
don't buy more.

For a few weeks now I have been unable to buy much food - price wise -
because I had to pay my car registration. So for weeks now there has
been nothing but main meals (meat, vegetables, salad veggies, cereal for
one kid who eats it) plus milk, yoghurt, fruit, cheese, some juice,
bread and butter. Of course there has been whining about no snacks etc
but tough boobies, it was that or starve. Jasmine is the one who fully
doesn't understand these kinds of things and she has ripped open every
cupboard in the house looking for chips, biscuits etc but hasn't found
any. Now that rego is paid I might just stay as it is.

I have never found lettuce leaves to wilt with burgers etc. I buy large
icebergs for that kind of thing and crisp the leaves in the fridge as
soon as I have got it home and washed it. Subway will do a salad made to
your specs, with meat, without, whatever, you choose everything that
goes on it. She might like san choy bow adapted to her tastes and
allergies. Really just spiced meat and she can choose what flavourings.
Nachos is another good thing with lettuce. Burrito fillings, ditto.
Anything you make that goes with bread, wraps or corn chips can be put
in lettuce. Can fill up on the raw veggies she does like. I eat nachos
and tacos on a plate without the chips and wrap and top it with shredded
lettuce, chopped tomatoes, red onions, sour lite cream and mashed
avocado. Eat with knife and fork. Take her likes and build around that.

Jasmine go a pizza pamphlet out of the letter box earlier this week and
has stuck it under my nose a couple of times a day since Last night I
made her "pizza" on lightly toasted bread. Not what Angela could have
but an example of how to work something in. In our case it was for
financial reasons so I adapted. If I make her burgers I do them on
English muffins so they look like a McMuffin Sometimes I keep a cup
and straw from a takeaway place and fill it up at home with watered down
juice or diet drink. Mentally she is 2 so it works.

If my 16 yr old complains about hunger and its not dinner time I tell
him to drink a large glass of water or have a mandarin. That actually
works. A couple of years ago my two eldest grandkids (who are 10 and 8
now) were visiting and I got some skewers and we cut up different fruits
to make fruit kebabs. I had a few marshmallows and some chocolate sauce
as well as yoghurt and after they made their kebabs they chose not to
have the marshmallows and choc sauce. Often when kids are given a choice
of a range of things they tend to go for healthy stuff.