Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default Low carb diet

Julie Bove > wrote:
Julie, this is so difficult for both you and Angela. I don't hav etoo
much to offer, but if she likes the lamb kebobs could you make some me
made with either chicken or beef with the vegetables like peppers and
tomatoes? they are not difficult to do and might give her some nice
dinners. Does she like hamburgers when you go out? If so, she can have
them on some lettuce instead of the bun which she can't eat anyway.
She could get grilled chicken the same way. that's what I do when I go
out, order a sandwich with no bread. Will she eat raw veggies like
broccoli or cauliflower dipped in humus or some other lew c arb dressing
or dip? Those dips can make many vegetables more palitable for kids.

When was she last tested for allergies? It would make life simpler if
she has grown out of a few more.

That's about it for now.

I am so sorry about ths .

Wendy

: waiting for him to call me back because with Angela just starting on
: Metformin and my propensity for the big D I would prefer that we had two
: toilets! Anyway...

: I am going to have to serve up the foods that I have with us perhaps just
: eating less of them and adding more raw veggies to the meal. Or more canned
: green beans. I do have things that I bought that are lower in carbs like a
: mix of potatoes and green beans. They come frozen. I don't know if I can
: get her to eat the beans in the mix. She is good to try things but if she
: doesn't like something she won't eat it. And up until now the only beans
: she will eat are the canned. I do make roasted potatoes with a ton of added
: onion chunks but she just eats around the onions. Gah!

: So how do you get someone on a low carb diet who doesn't like low carb?

: She has already made a few changes. When we go out for Mexican food she has
: part of an appetizer such as nachos or bean dip and chips with a salad
: topped with a piece of chicken.

: At Bob's Burger and Brew she has an amended taco salad. They could not
: guarantee that their chicken taco meat was safe for her in terms of
: containing wheat. So they will make it for her with plain grilled chicken.
: It is not sold in greasy wheat shell but with tri-colored chips around the
: edge. She eats just one or two of the chips. I get the same salad but with
: ground beef. And we get a small side order of Jo Jos which never gets fully
: eaten even though not just the two of us eat from it but the whole table.
: They also offer a raw veggie plate which we get with Italian dressing.

: I did buy low carb ice cream. She liked the ice cream just okay but they
: were bars with chocolate and she didn't like the chocolate at all. Plus
: they contain sugar alcohols which I really didn't like her to have.

: Her favorite foods are ice cream, cheese, eggs (these things must be limited
: because of her allergies), rice, rice or corn pasta, corn, popcorn, potatoes
: and some candies. She isn't really a big candy eater overall but she does
: like Jr. Mints, hard candies, Smarties, Starburst, Nerds, so...basically the
: ones that are all sugar. She has recently tried sugar free pudding and she
: does like some flavors but since it contains dairy she can't have it often.
: I could make it from a mix with rice milk but that would up the carb count
: considerably.

: I just don't know what I'm going to feed her. Especially school lunches!
: Last year she ate very little for breakfast or lunch. Mostly just apples or
: carrots for either one. Sometimes some kind of bar but she is limited due
: to her allergies to just a few kinds of bars. I think they run about 15 to
: 24g per bar depending on what kind they are. Either Odwalla or granola
: bars.

: She doesn't want to take a thermos to school and I don't blame her! She has
: to haul so much stuff in her backpack, I can't help but wonder if it wasn't
: to blame for her back injury.

: I will look at Costco next time we are there and see if we can get some
: lightweight containers to pack salad in that are disposable. She did have
: some salad containers but they were large and although not overly heavy she
: didn't like hauling them back and forth. Failing that I will just go to a
: store with a salad bar and buy some of their containers. So she could take
: a salad sometimes and some meat and raw veg other times but I think that
: would be tiring day after day.

: The only good thing here is that her dance schedule for this year will be
: such that she can eat her dinner before she leaves. So that is one meal I
: won't have to worry about. Assuming I can come up with things to fix.

: Gah! What to do! What to do?