Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Low carb diet

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> The time has come to toss out the stuff she shouldn't be eating and then
> don't buy more.

I can't do that because I eat many of those things Plus at this point in
time there is simply no money to buy other food. We are going to have to
make do with what we have for at least a few weeks. I can buy some meat and
produce. But since I bought that freezer it is full to almost stuffed and
we will have to eat those things up.

> For a few weeks now I have been unable to buy much food - price wise -
> because I had to pay my car registration. So for weeks now there has been
> nothing but main meals (meat, vegetables, salad veggies, cereal for one
> kid who eats it) plus milk, yoghurt, fruit, cheese, some juice, bread and
> butter. Of course there has been whining about no snacks etc but tough
> boobies, it was that or starve. Jasmine is the one who fully doesn't
> understand these kinds of things and she has ripped open every cupboard in
> the house looking for chips, biscuits etc but hasn't found any. Now that
> rego is paid I might just stay as it is.

We don't have a lot of snacks except that we had bought some for my husband
when he was home. He eats mainly meat, ice cream, chips and other junk
food. Once in a while he will go on a vegetable or fruit kick.

> I have never found lettuce leaves to wilt with burgers etc. I buy large
> icebergs for that kind of thing and crisp the leaves in the fridge as soon
> as I have got it home and washed it. Subway will do a salad made to your
> specs, with meat, without, whatever, you choose everything that goes on
> it.

Subway is a horrible place for people with wheat alleriges. Because they
are touching the bread and then touching the meat, cheese, lettuce, etc.
they have cross contaminated all of it. Not a safe place to eat at all
unless it is one of the experimental ones in Texas (I think that's where
they are) that sell gluten free bread. They have a separate area for with a
whole separate batch of fillings so none get cross contaminated.

As for the lettuce, I have never *not* had it get soggy. To me it is just a
nasty, nasty thing to do.

>Really just spiced meat and she can choose what flavourings. Nachos is
>another good thing with lettuce. Burrito fillings, ditto. Anything you make
>that goes with bread, wraps or corn chips can be put in lettuce. Can fill
>up on the raw veggies she does like. I eat nachos and tacos on a plate
>without the chips and wrap and top it with shredded lettuce, chopped
>tomatoes, red onions, sour lite cream and mashed avocado. Eat with knife
>and fork. Take her likes and build around that.

I don't think she would like that at all. She does like salad but only
specific things on it. And remember, she can have dairy only twice a week.
Taco shells are pretty low in carbs so I'm not concerned about that.

> Jasmine go a pizza pamphlet out of the letter box earlier this week and
> has stuck it under my nose a couple of times a day since Last night I
> made her "pizza" on lightly toasted bread. Not what Angela could have but
> an example of how to work something in. In our case it was for financial
> reasons so I adapted. If I make her burgers I do them on English muffins
> so they look like a McMuffin Sometimes I keep a cup and straw from a
> takeaway place and fill it up at home with watered down juice or diet
> drink. Mentally she is 2 so it works.

Thankfully neither of us like pizza very much. My husband is the big pizza
lover so when we get it, it is usually for him. I was making GF pizza for a
while when we first found it but we can really both do without it.

> If my 16 yr old complains about hunger and its not dinner time I tell him
> to drink a large glass of water or have a mandarin. That actually works. A
> couple of years ago my two eldest grandkids (who are 10 and 8 now) were
> visiting and I got some skewers and we cut up different fruits to make
> fruit kebabs. I had a few marshmallows and some chocolate sauce as well as
> yoghurt and after they made their kebabs they chose not to have the
> marshmallows and choc sauce. Often when kids are given a choice of a range
> of things they tend to go for healthy stuff.

I tend to keep a limited amount of stuff in the house. When I don't I wind
up throwing it out. I have thrown out watermelon countless times when she
said she would eat it and didn't. Same for bologna. And certain kinds of
cheese. Yesterday it was guacamole and sour cream. The guacamole was never
even opened. She ate about half of the sour cream.

Tonight I am making chicken and potatoes. I will just have to suffer
through it since I don't like chicken at all. The potatoes are a new item.
Susan would just love them because they come in a steamer bag. Yes, I know
they contain crabs but it is a limited amount of potatoes in that bag. I
won't be able to put too much on her plate and she won't be able to go back
for more.

I had a coupon for Target for $7 off any grocery order of $75 so that is
where we did our weekly shopping. The chicken is probably enough for two
meals and I also got some pre-cooked chicken strips. She really prefers the
chicken if I don't cook it. I also got some shredded lettuce and I hope it
holds up. The last few times I got it, it got mushy before we could eat it.
Our fridge just isn't big enough for a whole head of lettuce! I have sliced
turkey and was planning to make her some Teff wraps. They are very thin so
they look like they should be low in carbs but I don't think they are.

I guess I am just going to have to ease into this while we use up the food
we have in the house, which is really quite a lot. At least of some things.
I will have to give some things to the food bank. Like the case of baked
beans and the case of apple juice in the cute little apple bottles.

She is not a super big juice drinker but she does like it once in a while.
Thankfully we do have diet juice here and I did get two bottles for free
yesterday at Target. They had a special on diet soda where if you bought a
12 pack you got a free bottle of Snapple.

My next shopping trip will be to QFC because I have coupons for free items
there.

I just can't believe how expensive everything is getting and how many things
around here are breaking down and needing to be replaced or repaired!