Old 04-09-2010, 01:53 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Ellen's breakfast vis--vis morning readings

"Ellen K." wrote in message

"Janet Wilder" wrote in message
On 9/3/2010 4:39 PM, Ellen K. wrote:

"Nicky" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 13:25:42 -0700, "Ellen K."
wrote:

It needs CARBS to turn it off in the morning?

Yes, the mechanism is to turn off the release of glucose from the
liver, by having just the right amount of carbs coming in from the
digestion.

Today instead of my usual romaine lettuce, I tried a whole raw green
pepper with my cheese, i.e. about 5 gm net carbs instead of 2. Here
are
my numbers:
5:58 98 This is shortly after getting up, and incidentally my lowest
FBG
so far.
6:33 104 Right before breakfast. Finished the food at 7:08.
7:53 137 45 minutes after finishing the food, missed testing at what
now think is my peak of 35 minutes because I was in the middle of
something for work.
8:18 133 70 minutes
After this didn't test again till 11:08, four hours after the food,
which was 104.

So while 137 is under the magic 140, it's still 33 points up from
the
pre-breakfast value, and was probably not even the peak, although
considering that the next 25 minutes resulted in a reduction of only
4
points, maybe the peak wasn't much higher than the 137.

Any thoughts?

My only thought is that cheese and a green pepper should not spike
you like that. My suggestion is that you may need professional
intervention.

I don't think the food spiked me, I think the dawn phenomenon just
keeps going up.

Then try 1/2 slice of rye bread or equivalent carbs in rye crackers plus
the fat/protein and see what happens.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:55 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Can't remember if you have tried changing the protein type yet. Like a
tuna 'salad" with vinaigrette or a couple of eggs, lettuce and mayo.....

"Ellen K." wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

wrote:

It needs CARBS to turn it off in the morning?

Yes, the mechanism is to turn off the release of glucose from the
liver, by having just the right amount of carbs coming in from the
digestion.

Today instead of my usual romaine lettuce, I tried a whole raw green
pepper with my cheese, i.e. about 5 gm net carbs instead of 2. Here
are my numbers:
5:58 98 This is shortly after getting up, and incidentally my
lowest FBG so far.
6:33 104 Right before breakfast. Finished the food at 7:08.
7:53 137 45 minutes after finishing the food, missed testing
at what I now think is my peak of 35 minutes because I was in the
middle of something for work.
8:18 133 70 minutes
After this didn't test again till 11:08, four hours after the food,
which was 104.

So while 137 is under the magic 140, it's still 33 points up from
the pre-breakfast value, and was probably not even the peak,
although considering that the next 25 minutes resulted in a
reduction of only 4 points, maybe the peak wasn't much higher than
the 137.

Any thoughts?

I'm no expert but I believe everyone's BG goes up at about the half
hour mark. I would be more concerned with the one or two hour mark.

45 minutes after finishing the food, BG was 33 points higher than
right before the meal.
70 minutes (more than an hour) after finishing the food, BG was still
29 points higher than right before the meal.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:39 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

It needs CARBS to turn it off in the morning?

Yes, the mechanism is to turn off the release of glucose from the
liver, by having just the right amount of carbs coming in from the
digestion.

Today instead of my usual romaine lettuce, I tried a whole raw green
pepper with my cheese, i.e. about 5 gm net carbs instead of 2. Here are
my numbers:
5:58 98 This is shortly after getting up, and incidentally my lowest
FBG
so far.
6:33 104 Right before breakfast. Finished the food at 7:08.
7:53 137 45 minutes after finishing the food, missed testing at what I
now think is my peak of 35 minutes because I was in the middle of
something for work.
8:18 133 70 minutes
After this didn't test again till 11:08, four hours after the food,
which was 104.

So while 137 is under the magic 140, it's still 33 points up from the
pre-breakfast value, and was probably not even the peak, although
considering that the next 25 minutes resulted in a reduction of only 4
points, maybe the peak wasn't much higher than the 137.

Any thoughts?

My only thought is that cheese and a green pepper should not spike you
like that. My suggestion is that you may need professional intervention.

You might want to stop that "net carb" stuff and just count all the
carbs.
Though I have never heard of "net carbs" with cheese and a green pepper.

Net carbs are the carbs minus the fiber. That is how it should be
counted.
But personally I would not count the carbs from a non-starchy vegetable
unless I were to eat a lot of them. Like a huge (I'm talking serving
bowl
size) salad.

But you can't do that with everything. The non-digestable fiber has to be
at least 5g per serving. Too many people read labels with "net carbs" that
deduct sugar alcohols. Then they wonder why they spiked.

I don't know about that. I don't eat sugar alcohols except for the
occasional sugar free mint and then every time I do, I kick myself because
it tastes like crap.

Do you have a cite that the non-digestible fiber has to be at least 5g per
serving? Because I was told in factoring carbs to deduct it for everything.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:41 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

[...]

The cheese doesn't have any carbs, I'm counting net carbs (total carbs
minus fiber carbs) for the green pepper only.

Perhaps then you need more carbs still. I have to eat some form of carby
food in the morning or my BG just goes higher. But how much? Well there's
the rub. Back when I could eat cheese on a regular basis, I bought these
little tiny cheese crackers. I think they were Cheezits. I could eat 7.
Exactly 7.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:42 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ellen K." wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

wrote:

It needs CARBS to turn it off in the morning?

Yes, the mechanism is to turn off the release of glucose from the
liver, by having just the right amount of carbs coming in from the
digestion.

Today instead of my usual romaine lettuce, I tried a whole raw green
pepper with my cheese, i.e. about 5 gm net carbs instead of 2. Here are
my numbers:
5:58 98 This is shortly after getting up, and incidentally my
lowest FBG so far.
6:33 104 Right before breakfast. Finished the food at 7:08.
7:53 137 45 minutes after finishing the food, missed testing at
what I now think is my peak of 35 minutes because I was in the middle of
something for work.
8:18 133 70 minutes
After this didn't test again till 11:08, four hours after the food,
which was 104.

So while 137 is under the magic 140, it's still 33 points up from the
pre-breakfast value, and was probably not even the peak, although
considering that the next 25 minutes resulted in a reduction of only 4
points, maybe the peak wasn't much higher than the 137.

Any thoughts?

I'm no expert but I believe everyone's BG goes up at about the half hour
mark. I would be more concerned with the one or two hour mark.

45 minutes after finishing the food, BG was 33 points higher than right
before the meal.
70 minutes (more than an hour) after finishing the food, BG was still 29
points higher than right before the meal.

Hmmm... I would still go for more carbs though.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:14 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

Do you have a cite that the non-digestible fiber has to be at least 5g per
serving? Because I was told in factoring carbs to deduct it for everything.

Some people are told to follow that rule, others are not. I do not
follow it.

PP
Old 05-09-2010, 05:58 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote:

Do you have a cite that the non-digestible fiber has to be at least 5g
per
serving? Because I was told in factoring carbs to deduct it for
everything.

Some people are told to follow that rule, others are not. I do not
follow it.

Well seeing as how I use insulin, I have to get the correct carb count.
That's why I wanted an actual cite. What people were told is of no matter
to me.

That being said, I do follow the Exchange Plan and on that plan you do not
count the low carb vegetables unless you are eating 3 or more servings per
meal. Then you have to count it as a carb. Carb being 15g. That's minus
the fiber.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:33 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

[...]

Just want to be sure I understand what you're suggesting, add approximately
10 g grain-based carbs to the green veggie & cheese?

Old 05-09-2010, 08:42 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ellen K." wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

Yep. Although 1/2 a slice of the rye breads I get would be about 7-8 gr
net carb. So that would be about 10gr including the pepper.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:38 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Ellen K." wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

I had the pepper at 5 (7 minus 2), I have some rye matzo here which has 22
(24 -2) for a whole one, I was thinking a half, but since it looks like
you're suggesting to try for around 10 total, maybe I should try a quarter.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:16 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ellen K." wrote in message

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Ellen K." wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

Sounds reasonable. You will either go much higher with the matzo or stay
around the same pre meal bg. If you stay the same then you probably
weren't turning off DP with the previous meals.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:18 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Ellen K." wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

Here you can get snack rye at some stores. I used to buy that. I think the
little slices had like 4g per.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:56 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Ellen K." wrote in message

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Ellen K." wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

OK, thanks very much! I'll report back.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:58 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Ellen K." wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

Oh, yes, I know which one you mean. I forget the brand, but they are even
kosher! Very hard to eat just one though, I think 1/4 of a matzo
will be a better bet.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:57 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:

: "Peppermint Patootie" wrote in message
: ...
: In article ,
: "Julie Bove" wrote:
:
: Do you have a cite that the non-digestible fiber has to be at least 5g
: per
: serving? Because I was told in factoring carbs to deduct it for
: everything.
:
: Some people are told to follow that rule, others are not. I do not
: follow it.

: Well seeing as how I use insulin, I have to get the correct carb count.
: That's why I wanted an actual cite. What people were told is of no matter
: to me.

: That being said, I do follow the Exchange Plan and on that plan you do not
: count the low carb vegetables unless you are eating 3 or more servings per
: meal. Then you have to count it as a carb. Carb being 15g. That's minus
: the fiber.

When I waas taught the exchange plan no one said anything about whether
fiber was a factor. In addition, exchanges had different values for
sdderent types of food i.e. fruits 1 exchange was 10 gram of carb(no
fiber subtraction mentions) while one bread exchange ws 15 grams fo carb,
again no fiber mentioned. I was to look at the carb count on the package
if it was something like bread in a package, otherwise things like small
fruit, medium fruit, 1/2 C of ve, or pasta, etc. I don't believe that any
fiber was subtracted, so whole wheat bread and white bred would be the
same per slice, although whole wheat would be suggested as preferable.

Wendy