Old 27-08-2010, 04:45 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default brand name of kosher pareve chorizo

Ellen K. wrote:
: Soyrizo.

So it sounds like it is also parev. I get wonderful italian sausages(mde
with real beef) in hot or sweet from Glatt Mart in Brooklyn, which amakes
them themselves. They are what I use in my diabetic spagetti, which iI
make with whole steamed (microwave) string beans, defatted and browned hot
sausages, sliced, a pasta sauce of your choice. Very ymmy.

My Mom used to use ssteamed or poached halibut in making a fake crabmeat
appetizer, putting sm elumps on a leaf of lettue in and old time wide
mouthed champaign glass adn topping it with traditionsal ketchup or chili
saauce adn horserradish cocktail sauce. Hm.

Wendy

Old 29-08-2010, 10:15 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Ellen K. wrote:
: Soyrizo.

So it sounds like it is also parev. I get wonderful italian sausages(mde
with real beef) in hot or sweet from Glatt Mart in Brooklyn, which amakes
them themselves. They are what I use in my diabetic spagetti, which iI
make with whole steamed (microwave) string beans, defatted and browned hot
sausages, sliced, a pasta sauce of your choice. Very ymmy.

I don't think we get the Glatt Mart ones here, but we have a local kosher
sausage outfit all the kosher foodies rave about. Never tried them myself.
I can't remember the name of it right now, but I think they have a retail
outlet in Farmer's Market.

Do you mean you use string beans instead of pasta in your "diabetic
spaghetti"? Because I can imagine the dish being quite tasty without any
actual pasta...

Back to sausage, as I previously posted I am not interested in the fake
chorizo one, but I have recently discovered a pareve Italian "sausage" made
by Trader Joe's that I quite like, they call it "Italian Sausageless
Sausage" and the ingredient list is much more appetizing than the Yves
brand. I slice one and saut it in a tiny bit of olive oil in a nonstick
pan and after turning over the slices I pour two beaten eggs over it. Last
time I made it I also included a green onion. Usually the other part of the
meal is half a raw green pepper. I find it quite satisfying.

My Mom used to use ssteamed or poached halibut in making a fake crabmeat
appetizer, putting sm elumps on a leaf of lettue in and old time wide
mouthed champaign glass adn topping it with traditionsal ketchup or chili
saauce adn horserradish cocktail sauce. Hm.

They have kosher fake crab now, I think it might be called surimi? I know
it's made from fish, but don't know what kind. Personally I'm perfectly
happy eating regular fish.

Wendy

Old 29-08-2010, 05:20 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ellen K. wrote:

: "W. Baker" wrote in message
: ...
: Ellen K. wrote:
: : Soyrizo.
:
: So it sounds like it is also parev. I get wonderful italian sausages(mde
: with real beef) in hot or sweet from Glatt Mart in Brooklyn, which amakes
: them themselves. They are what I use in my diabetic spagetti, which iI
: make with whole steamed (microwave) string beans, defatted and browned hot
: sausages, sliced, a pasta sauce of your choice. Very ymmy.
:
Of course, no pasta. the stringbeans are i lieu of any pasta. there is
also spghetti squash, which, after b aking or nuking n halves cut side
down, can be scraped into strings with a fork and plated and sauces as you
like. It is the lowest in cars of the hard shelled winter squashes.

: Do you mean you use string beans instead of pasta in your "diabetic
: spaghetti"? Because I can imagine the dish being quite tasty without any
: actual pasta...

: Back to sausage, as I previously posted I am not interested in the fake
: chorizo one, but I have recently discovered a pareve Italian "sausage" made
: by Trader Joe's that I quite like, they call it "Italian Sausageless
: Sausage" and the ingredient list is much more appetizing than the Yves
: brand. I slice one and saut? it in a tiny bit of olive oil in a nonstick
: pan and after turning over the slices I pour two beaten eggs over it. Last
: time I made it I also included a green onion. Usually the other part of the
: meal is half a raw green pepper. I find it quite satisfying.

Ha! There is a breakfast suggestin for you insead of the 3 oz of cheese.

: My Mom used to use ssteamed or poached halibut in making a fake crabmeat
: appetizer, putting sm elumps on a leaf of lettue in and old time wide
: mouthed champaign glass adn topping it with traditionsal ketchup or chili
: saauce adn horserradish cocktail sauce. Hm.
:

: They have kosher fake crab now, I think it might be called surimi? I know
: it's made from fish, but don't know what kind. Personally I'm perfectly
: happy eating regular fish.

Surimi is quite high in carbs as they add sugar to duplicate the natural
sweetness of teh shellfish. Don't try it.

Wendy

Old 29-08-2010, 09:51 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Ellen K. wrote:

: "W. Baker" wrote in message
: ...
: Ellen K. wrote:
: : Soyrizo.
:
: So it sounds like it is also parev. I get wonderful italian
sausages(mde
: with real beef) in hot or sweet from Glatt Mart in Brooklyn, which
amakes
: them themselves. They are what I use in my diabetic spagetti, which
iI
: make with whole steamed (microwave) string beans, defatted and browned
hot
: sausages, sliced, a pasta sauce of your choice. Very ymmy.
:
Of course, no pasta. the stringbeans are i lieu of any pasta. there is
also spghetti squash, which, after b aking or nuking n halves cut side
down, can be scraped into strings with a fork and plated and sauces as you
like. It is the lowest in cars of the hard shelled winter squashes.

Yep, I'm familiar with it... but for myself I think I would just julienne
some zucchini, probably even leave it raw, just nuke long enough to get it
hot. (Another change in my body chemistry since going low-carb, I used to
only like zucchini steamed, now I prefer it raw!)

[...]

I think it's too many carbs for breakfast, the sausage has 6 gm net (7 gm
minus 1 gm fiber) and the green pepper would be another net 3 compared to
net 2 for the romaine. Usually I use it as a lunch meal.

: My Mom used to use ssteamed or poached halibut in making a fake
crabmeat
: appetizer, putting sm elumps on a leaf of lettue in and old time
wide
: mouthed champaign glass adn topping it with traditionsal ketchup or
chili
: saauce adn horserradish cocktail sauce. Hm.
:

: They have kosher fake crab now, I think it might be called surimi? I
know
: it's made from fish, but don't know what kind. Personally I'm perfectly
: happy eating regular fish.

Surimi is quite high in carbs as they add sugar to duplicate the natural
sweetness of teh shellfish. Don't try it.

Well, as noted it doesn't interest me, I'm perfectly happy eating regular
fish.

Wendy

Old 29-08-2010, 10:20 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message

: Back to sausage, as I previously posted I am not interested in the fake
: chorizo one, but I have recently discovered a pareve Italian "sausage"
made
: by Trader Joe's that I quite like, they call it "Italian Sausageless
: Sausage" and the ingredient list is much more appetizing than the Yves
: brand. I slice one and saut? it in a tiny bit of olive oil in a
nonstick
: pan and after turning over the slices I pour two beaten eggs over it.
Last
: time I made it I also included a green onion. Usually the other part of
the
: meal is half a raw green pepper. I find it quite satisfying.

Ha! There is a breakfast suggestin for you insead of the 3 oz of cheese.

Just to be clear, I am perfectly *happy* eating 3 oz of cheese, I am just
wanting to know if it is the fastest way to cut off the dawn phenomenon
thing.

Old 30-08-2010, 09:13 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 14:20:19 -0700, "Ellen K."
wrote:

Just to be clear, I am perfectly *happy* eating 3 oz of cheese, I am just
wanting to know if it is the fastest way to cut off the dawn phenomenon
thing.

Trick there is to delay the start of the rise by eating
fat/protein/carb combo at night, then to turn off the volume of it by
eating the right amount of carbs at breakfast. Exactly what that is,
varies hugely from person to person - I need 6g of carbs in the
morning, and a handful of nuts and a glass of wine at bedtime. That
took a lot of experimenting...

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26
Old 30-08-2010, 09:25 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

It needs CARBS to turn it off in the morning?

Oh boy.

So how did you figure this out? And what is your current breakfast?

Old 01-09-2010, 01:47 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 13:25:42 -0700, "Ellen K."
wrote:

It needs CARBS to turn it off in the morning?

Yes, the mechanism is to turn off the release of glucose from the
liver, by having just the right amount of carbs coming in from the
digestion.

I will typically have a 2-egg & mushroom omelette; or a Ryvita cracker
with maybe some ham; or a cream cheese and flax waffle; washed down
with a cup of strong coffee with a Splenda tab. If I have to
grab-and-run, I'll wrap a finger of cheese in a slice of ham, or if
I'm super-organised, a mini sausage, egg and bacon crustless quiche or
a flax muffin.

Alan's got some good ideas on his blog - I don't have the link handy,
but he keeps it in his sig. He can cope with way-out things like
leftover stew for breakfast - my head has that kind of stuff firmly in
the lunch/supper bracket, but if you can cope, it'll work well.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:39 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Ellen's breakfast vis--vis morning readings

wrote:

It needs CARBS to turn it off in the morning?

Yes, the mechanism is to turn off the release of glucose from the
liver, by having just the right amount of carbs coming in from the
digestion.

Today instead of my usual romaine lettuce, I tried a whole raw green pepper
with my cheese, i.e. about 5 gm net carbs instead of 2. Here are my
numbers:
5:58 98 This is shortly after getting up, and incidentally my lowest
FBG so far.
6:33 104 Right before breakfast. Finished the food at 7:08.
7:53 137 45 minutes after finishing the food, missed testing at what I
now think is my peak of 35 minutes because I was in the middle of something
for work.
8:18 133 70 minutes
After this didn't test again till 11:08, four hours after the food, which
was 104.

So while 137 is under the magic 140, it's still 33 points up from the
pre-breakfast value, and was probably not even the peak, although
considering that the next 25 minutes resulted in a reduction of only 4
points, maybe the peak wasn't much higher than the 137.

Any thoughts?

Old 03-09-2010, 11:12 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

[...]

My only thought is that cheese and a green pepper should not spike you
like that. My suggestion is that you may need professional intervention.

You might want to stop that "net carb" stuff and just count all the
carbs. Though I have never heard of "net carbs" with cheese and a green
pepper.
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Old 03-09-2010, 11:14 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

[...]

I'm no expert but I believe everyone's BG goes up at about the half hour
mark. I would be more concerned with the one or two hour mark.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:15 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

[...]

Net carbs are the carbs minus the fiber. That is how it should be counted.
But personally I would not count the carbs from a non-starchy vegetable
unless I were to eat a lot of them. Like a huge (I'm talking serving bowl
size) salad.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:55 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

[...]

But you can't do that with everything. The non-digestable fiber has to
be at least 5g per serving. Too many people read labels with "net carbs"
that deduct sugar alcohols. Then they wonder why they spiked.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:56 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

[...]

I don't think the food spiked me, I think the dawn phenomenon just keeps
going up.

You might want to stop that "net carb" stuff and just count all the carbs.
Though I have never heard of "net carbs" with cheese and a green pepper.

The cheese doesn't have any carbs, I'm counting net carbs (total carbs minus
fiber carbs) for the green pepper only.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:57 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

45 minutes after finishing the food, BG was 33 points higher than right
before the meal.
70 minutes (more than an hour) after finishing the food, BG was still 29
points higher than right before the meal.