Old 30-04-2009, 06:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default (2009-04-30) NS-RFC: To Brand or Not To Brand...

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

Thanks go to Terry ("Prfesser") for this survey.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Old 30-04-2009, 06:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy said...

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

Thanks go to Terry ("Prfesser") for this survey.

GOSH... I win again!

I'll take a #15 TFH.

Andy
--
Eat first, talk later.
Old 30-04-2009, 06:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
ChattyCathy said...

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

Thanks go to Terry ("Prfesser") for this survey.

GOSH... I win again!

I'll take a #15 TFH.

Yous spend too much time in RFC. I came back from running errands and
downloaded new messages and the poll post was only a minute old and you
had beaten me to it.
Old 30-04-2009, 06:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith said...

Andy wrote:
ChattyCathy said...

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

Thanks go to Terry ("Prfesser") for this survey.

GOSH... I win again!

I'll take a #15 TFH.

Yous spend too much time in RFC. I came back from running errands and
downloaded new messages and the poll post was only a minute old and you
had beaten me to it.

Dave Smith,

Heh heh heh heh heh!

Just managed to be in the right place at the right time!

Thanks to Volkswagen!!! http://alturl.com/gyar

Andy
--
Eat first, talk later.
Old 30-04-2009, 08:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 30, 1:11*pm, ChattyCathy wrote:
http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

Thanks go to Terry ("Prfesser") for this survey.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

I voted in error. Meant to say that I am about 50-50.

Old 30-04-2009, 08:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
On Apr 30, 1:11 pm, ChattyCathy wrote:
http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

Thanks go to Terry ("Prfesser") for this survey.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

I voted in error. Meant to say that I am about 50-50.

I am starting to buy more and more from Bulk Barn these days. Steel cut
oatmeal is less than a quarter the price of the name brands. I picked up
some Wheatlets (Cream of Wheat) and paid only 88 cents for a close to 2
pounds of it. Various herbs and spices were 25-40 cents for small bags
which held the equivalent of 2 jars of the commercial stuff that sell
for $2-4 each

The best thing about buying bulk is that they don't screw around with
package downsizing. There is none of that reducing a container from 12
oz to 10 oz and charging the same price.
Old 30-04-2009, 08:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 19:11:56 +0200, ChattyCathy
wrote:

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

Thanks go to Terry ("Prfesser") for this survey.

I looked in the pantry and realized that most of what I buy is Kroger
brand. Flour, sugar, most staples, canned goods, snacks, most
cereals...except for Post Raisin Bran and Cheerios. Real Cheerios.
Tried and tried, but I've never found a store brand that could match
'em.

Best -- Terry
Old 30-04-2009, 08:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
ChattyCathy wrote:

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

Thanks go to Terry ("Prfesser") for this survey.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

That survey was enlightening!

I personally mostly purchase store brand, but we are blessed with a
store brand that is reliably good. Hill Country Fare.

Occasionally tho' it'll be higher than a name brand so I'll get whatever
is less expensive. g

One very notable exception tho' is pet food. I _never_ purchase generic
or store brand of that. But that's due to a past bad experience with it.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Old 30-04-2009, 08:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

I personally mostly purchase store brand, but we are blessed with a
store brand that is reliably good. Hill Country Fare.

Occasionally tho' it'll be higher than a name brand so I'll get whatever
is less expensive. g

The Zehr's stores around here carry a lot of President's choice
products. There aren't as many food processors as they used to be and a
lot of the processed foods are made by the same company with different
labels stuck on them. FWIW, during the winter I deep fry hot chicken
wings almost every Saturday. I discovered that their hot sauce is
virtually identical to Franks, but abut one quarter the price.

One very notable exception tho' is pet food. I _never_ purchase generic
or store brand of that. But that's due to a past bad experience with it.

We learned from the pet food poisoning incident last year that, like
food for human consumption, most of those dozens of different brands of
dog and cat food are made by one or two companies. My dog seems to
prefer the "no name" brand of dry and canned dog food. we have offered
him better ? but he likes the cheap stuff.
Old 30-04-2009, 09:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

Thanks go to Terry ("Prfesser") for this survey.

I looked in the pantry and realized that most of what I buy is Kroger
brand. Flour, sugar, most staples, canned goods, snacks, most
cereals...

Don't get that brand here, but I know what you mean. If I buy from our
local Woolies Foods[1], their store brand stuff is great.

except for Post Raisin Bran and Cheerios. Real Cheerios.
Tried and tried, but I've never found a store brand that could match
'em.

Same here with cornflakes... The store brands are just awful.

[1] Other folks from the southern hemisphere may know which store I'm
talking about (or not)
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Old 30-04-2009, 09:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote on Thu, 30 Apr 2009 14:45:39 -0500:

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

Thanks go to Terry ("Prfesser") for this survey.

I looked in the pantry and realized that most of what I buy is
Kroger brand. Flour, sugar, most staples, canned goods,
snacks, most cereals...except for Post Raisin Bran and
Cheerios. Real Cheerios. Tried and tried, but I've never
found a store brand that could match 'em.

I often buy herbs and spices from the local health-food co-op but I buy
store brands if at all possible. Some name brands, like Heinz Ketchup
and Kellog Bran-Flakes are reproduced so well by store brands that you
might suspect they were made in the same factory but that's a matter of
taste. Trader Joe's does rather better on coffees and preserves than
other supermarkets. I tend to stay away from any Oriental foods in
supermarkets since they seem inferior and more expensive than those from
two relatively nearby Chinese supermarkets.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old 30-04-2009, 10:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I am starting to buy more and more from Bulk Barn these days. Steel cut
oatmeal is less than a quarter the price of the name brands. I picked up
some Wheatlets (Cream of Wheat) and paid only 88 cents for a close to 2
pounds of it. Various herbs and spices were 25-40 cents for small bags
which held the equivalent of 2 jars of the commercial stuff that sell for
$2-4 each

The best thing about buying bulk is that they don't screw around with
package downsizing. There is none of that reducing a container from 12 oz
to 10 oz and charging the same price.

I get all my spices and dried herbs at Bulk Barn as well as other things.
I get small quantities and refresh more often. Just have to stay out of the
candy aisle though....Sharon

Old 01-05-2009, 03:56 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 12:23:45 -0500, Andy fired up random
neurons and synapses to opine:

ChattyCathy said...

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

Thanks go to Terry ("Prfesser") for this survey.

GOSH... I win again!

I'll take a #15 TFH.

*Employed* Left Coasters ain't got a chance, dammit.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Old 01-05-2009, 06:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

Thanks go to Terry ("Prfesser") for this survey.

I looked in the pantry and realized that most of what I buy is Kroger
brand. Flour, sugar, most staples, canned goods, snacks, most
cereals...

Don't get that brand here, but I know what you mean. If I buy from our
local Woolies Foods[1], their store brand stuff is great.

except for Post Raisin Bran and Cheerios. Real Cheerios.
Tried and tried, but I've never found a store brand that could match
'em.

Same here with cornflakes... The store brands are just awful.

[1] Other folks from the southern hemisphere may know which store I'm
talking about (or not)

There is 4 cents worth of corn in a box of corn flakes, no matter what
you pay? Rolled oats would be a much better choice (with bran, fruit
[dried prunes, raisins, sliced banana, blueberries, strawberries], and
sunflower or sesame seeds, molasses, cinnamon, and milk)
--

- Billy

Old 01-05-2009, 06:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
ChattyCathy wrote:

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

Thanks go to Terry ("Prfesser") for this survey.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

That survey was enlightening!

I personally mostly purchase store brand, but we are blessed with a
store brand that is reliably good. Hill Country Fare.

Occasionally tho' it'll be higher than a name brand so I'll get whatever
is less expensive. g

One very notable exception tho' is pet food. I _never_ purchase generic
or store brand of that. But that's due to a past bad experience with it.

Pets know what they like.
--

- Billy

Brand new! grandmadora General Cooking 51 03-10-2016 03:25 AM
Brand New Style Titleist 2009 AP1 Irons Review James Jeans General Cooking 1 23-03-2012 07:32 PM
Hy Top brand Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 8 23-06-2011 10:20 AM
Brand New Allegrobox General Cooking 115 29-10-2010 09:55 PM
Anyone know the brand? paula'sfan General Cooking 3 21-07-2005 08:37 PM