Old 18-02-2011, 01:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chorizo!

I have several recipes for chorizo, and it occurred to me that chorizo might
be a good thing to make in the grey gloomy weather we're experiencing here
in Northern California. Then it struck me that chorizo is only part of the
equation: What do you do *with* chorizo?

Poking around online I found this recipe:

http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=172

Queso Fundido Burger
Serves 4

Ingredients
2 fresh medium poblano chiles
1 medium onion, sliced into 1/4-inch slices
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons oil
1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
8 ounces chorizo, cooked
1 to 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo, finely minced, seeded if you wish
8 thick slices Monterey Jack cheese
4 hamburger buns, lightly toasted

The recipe has you do what you might expect, but out of concern over
violating copyright laws I'm not going to post it here. The general
description follows:

Roast the chiles until blackened; remove the skin. Cut open and remove the
stems and seeds; cut into strips. Cook onions briefly; add chiles and garlic
and cook until the garlic has softened.

Make patties with the obvious ingredients. Grill patties one one side. Turn
patties over, top with cheese, then the veggies, then more cheese, cover the
grill, and cook until done. Place on buns and eat.

I think I'll try making those this coming Sunday.

Another chorizo application I want to try is a cocido-like hearty soup using
Mexican-style chorizo; it seems like another good dish for wet chilly
weather. It won't be all that close to "real" cocido since Lin doesn't like
garbanzos, but it'll follow the general idea.

What are your favorite ways to use chorizo?

Bob

Old 18-02-2011, 05:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 18, 4:54*am, "Bob Terwilliger"
wrote:
[...]

I made my own chorizo when I made paella the first and only time...
Old 18-02-2011, 06:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" wrote:
-snip-
8 ounces chorizo, cooked

-snip-

I'm curious what a recipe means when it says 'Chorizo'. I haven't
ever noticed it in our grocery stores- but when a Meat House opened up
nearby I was poking around and found some packaged sausages marked
'chorizo'. 4-5 sausages to the pound, looked a lot like kielbasa.

Then I found another one labeled chorizo. This one looked like a
pepperoni.

Are either of these what merryb makes?

What makes a 'chorizo'- a 'chorizo'? and which one is usually meant
in a recipe?

[Both were good- but not worth the premium price to me. I must be too
used to italian style sausages.]

Jim
Old 18-02-2011, 07:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
I have several recipes for chorizo, and it occurred to me that chorizo might
be a good thing to make in the grey gloomy weather we're experiencing here
in Northern California. Then it struck me that chorizo is only part of the
equation: What do you do *with* chorizo?

Poking around online I found this recipe:

http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=172

clipped
What are your favorite ways to use chorizo?

Bob

I made Rick Bayless' recipe for chorizo to make into his recipe for
queso fundido, and thought the recipe way underspiced. But I'm no
chorizo expert. Have you made it yet? What did you think of the spice
levvel?

Old 18-02-2011, 07:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 12:00:02 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

"Bob Terwilliger" wrote:
-snip-
8 ounces chorizo, cooked

-snip-

I'm curious what a recipe means when it says 'Chorizo'. I haven't
ever noticed it in our grocery stores- but when a Meat House opened up
nearby I was poking around and found some packaged sausages marked
'chorizo'. 4-5 sausages to the pound, looked a lot like kielbasa.

Then I found another one labeled chorizo. This one looked like a
pepperoni.

Are either of these what merryb makes?

I'm guessing merryb made the Mexican style (loose, uncured), not
Spanish. http://www.mexican-barbecue-recipes....zo-recipe.html
(scroll down for recipes)

What makes a 'chorizo'- a 'chorizo'?

What is the difference between Italian sausage and pepperoni?

and which one is usually meant in a recipe?

Either you know that it's a Spanish or Mexican recipe, or they tell
you which type to use.

[Both were good- but not worth the premium price to me. I must be too
used to italian style sausages.]

I tried Spanish style chorizo once and was under-whelmed too.

Old 18-02-2011, 07:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/18/2011 8:27 AM, Goomba wrote:
Bob Terwilliger wrote:
I have several recipes for chorizo, and it occurred to me that chorizo
might
be a good thing to make in the grey gloomy weather we're experiencing
here
in Northern California. Then it struck me that chorizo is only part of
the
equation: What do you do *with* chorizo?

Poking around online I found this recipe:

http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=172

clipped
What are your favorite ways to use chorizo?

Bob

I made Rick Bayless' recipe for chorizo to make into his recipe for
queso fundido, and thought the recipe way underspiced. But I'm no
chorizo expert. Have you made it yet? What did you think of the spice
levvel?

You should feel free to change the seasonings to your taste. My guess is
that most chorizo recipes are underspiced - mostly they're seasoned to
not put off the majority of people. I love that stuff but there's hardly
any on this island and only one company that makes is well - Kukui
sausage co.
Old 19-02-2011, 01:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

"Bob Terwilliger" wrote:
[...]

You might like real Spanish (from Spain) chorizo. The imitators are
never quite as good.
Old 19-02-2011, 01:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
I have several recipes for chorizo, and it occurred to me that chorizo might
be a good thing to make in the grey gloomy weather we're experiencing here
in Northern California. Then it struck me that chorizo is only part of the
equation: What do you do *with* chorizo?

Poking around online I found this recipe:

http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=172

clipped
What are your favorite ways to use chorizo?

Bob

I made Rick Bayless' recipe for chorizo to make into his recipe for
queso fundido, and thought the recipe way underspiced. But I'm no
chorizo expert. Have you made it yet? What did you think of the spice
levvel?

Rick Bayless does sometimes tone down the spiciness of his recipes. The
commercial Mexican-type chorizo sold locally varies quite a bit. Some
brands spicier than others.

Mexican-type chorizo tastes very good crumbled and fried together with
chunks of cooked potato, onion, garlic and strips of green or red bell
peppers.
It's also used in breakfast burritos, quesadillas, tostadas, nachos.
Nearly anywhere crumbled minced beef can be used.
Old 19-02-2011, 03:43 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 17:50:15 -0700, Arri London
wrote:

You might like real Spanish (from Spain) chorizo. The imitators are
never quite as good.

I was lucky just to find "spanish" chorizo, I don't remember if it was
labeled "from Spain" or not. In any case, I'm more interested in
finding a better andouille than I am in finding a better Spanish
chorizo.

Old 19-02-2011, 03:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 17:54:21 -0700, Arri London
wrote:

Goomba wrote:

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
[...]

So, what is the Rick Bayless recipe for chorizo?

Old 19-02-2011, 04:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

wrote:

Goomba wrote:

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
[...]

My Mexican cook used hot Mexican chorizo(bulk) to 'season' taco
meat. She would brown the burger meat and chorizo together and drain
well. It makes fabulous taco meat.
Old 19-02-2011, 04:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Marty asked:

Do you use the chorizo in a chub, for example, Supremo brand? I think that
stuff is absolutely horrible, gristly and full of fat. I understand
there's a "correct" way to use it but to me it's a waste of money. I only
buy chorizo if I'm going to a grocery that makes it fresh, or I just make
it myself whenever I'm doing sausage.

I plan on making it myself. That way I can control the amount of fat (and
leave out the porcine salivary glands).

Bob

Old 19-02-2011, 07:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 19:26:30 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
wrote:

My Mexican cook used hot Mexican chorizo(bulk) to 'season' taco
meat. She would brown the burger meat and chorizo together and drain
well. It makes fabulous taco meat.

Have you ever made chorizo yourself? It's very easy and fabulously
different from commercial kind. If you use "good" ground pork, it's
almost fat free.

Old 19-02-2011, 08:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 18, 12:00*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"Bob Terwilliger" wrote:

-snip-8 ounces chorizo, cooked

-snip-

I'm curious what a recipe means when it says 'Chorizo'. * I haven't
ever noticed it in our grocery stores- but when a Meat House opened up
nearby I was poking around and found some packaged sausages marked
'chorizo'. * 4-5 sausages to the pound, looked a lot like kielbasa.

Then I found another one labeled chorizo. *This one looked like a
pepperoni. * *

Are either of these what merryb makes?

What makes a 'chorizo'- a 'chorizo'? *and which one is usually meant
in a recipe?

[Both were good- but not worth the premium price to me. *I must be too
used to italian style sausages.]

Jim

Where I came from, Fall River Massachusett, the same place where
Emeral comes from.
There's a few places that makes it. There it's pronouce "cher
reece". It's a Porchugese(sp?) sausage.
They make two kinds. One mild and one hot. But the hot one isn't too
too hot. I usually buy the hot one.
I can find it here in Connecticut where I now live. It is shaped like
kielbasa. I cut it in half then cut both
pieces in half lenth wise. Then I slice it in pieces about 3/4 inch
and pan fry it with a little water to get it started.
I also cover it up. I don't add anything to it since it already has
spices in it when it's being made.

I'm sure there's other ways of cooking this. But this is the only way
I know about.

Lucille

Old 19-02-2011, 10:37 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/18/2011 7:00 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"Bob wrote:
-snip-
8 ounces chorizo, cooked

-snip-

I'm curious what a recipe means when it says 'Chorizo'. I haven't
ever noticed it in our grocery stores- but when a Meat House opened up
nearby I was poking around and found some packaged sausages marked
'chorizo'. 4-5 sausages to the pound, looked a lot like kielbasa.

Then I found another one labeled chorizo. This one looked like a
pepperoni.

Are either of these what merryb makes?

What makes a 'chorizo'- a 'chorizo'? and which one is usually meant
in a recipe?

[Both were good- but not worth the premium price to me. I must be too
used to italian style sausages.]

Jim

Chorizos will vary wildly - some are uncured with no binding agents that
fall apart, some will be a smoked, fully cooked product, some will be a
cured hard sausage.

To me, a chorizo should be flavored with garlic, cumin with some vinegar
but most of them don't seem to fit that flavor profile. I like the
uncured loose chorizos and will get some in that style when it's
available. I just bought some Farmer John chorizo tonight. It comes in a
chub packaging and just falls apart in the pan when you fry it leaving a
lot of reddish oil in the pan. I guess a lot of people would find it
disgusting but it is tasty.

Chorizo! Jeus[_14_] General Cooking 95 30-06-2010 05:47 AM
Chorizo? Omelet[_7_] General Cooking 35 11-05-2009 07:53 PM
Chorizo Casserole Dip Cathy Leslie Recipes (moderated) 0 14-04-2006 03:43 AM
Chorizo rrb_091903 General Cooking 15 17-10-2003 06:52 AM