Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ellen K. Ellen K. is offline

Default brand name of kosher pareve chorizo

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Ellen K. > wrote:
>
> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > Ellen K. > wrote:
> : > : Soyrizo.
> : >
> : > So it sounds like it is also parev. I get wonderful italian
> sausages(mde
> : > with real beef) in hot or sweet from Glatt Mart in Brooklyn, which
> amakes
> : > them themselves. They are what I use in my diabetic spagetti, which
> iI
> : > make with whole steamed (microwave) string beans, defatted and browned
> hot
> : > sausages, sliced, a pasta sauce of your choice. Very ymmy.
> :
> Of course, no pasta. the stringbeans are i lieu of any pasta. there is
> also spghetti squash, which, after b aking or nuking n halves cut side
> down, can be scraped into strings with a fork and plated and sauces as you
> like. It is the lowest in cars of the hard shelled winter squashes.

Yep, I'm familiar with it... but for myself I think I would just julienne
some zucchini, probably even leave it raw, just nuke long enough to get it
hot. (Another change in my body chemistry since going low-carb, I used to
only like zucchini steamed, now I prefer it raw!)

> : Do you mean you use string beans instead of pasta in your "diabetic
> : spaghetti"? Because I can imagine the dish being quite tasty without
> any
> : actual pasta...
>
> : Back to sausage, as I previously posted I am not interested in the fake
> : chorizo one, but I have recently discovered a pareve Italian "sausage"
> made
> : by Trader Joe's that I quite like, they call it "Italian Sausageless
> : Sausage" and the ingredient list is much more appetizing than the Yves
> : brand. I slice one and saut? it in a tiny bit of olive oil in a
> nonstick
> : pan and after turning over the slices I pour two beaten eggs over it.
> Last
> : time I made it I also included a green onion. Usually the other part of
> the
> : meal is half a raw green pepper. I find it quite satisfying.
>
> Ha! There is a breakfast suggestin for you insead of the 3 oz of cheese.

I think it's too many carbs for breakfast, the sausage has 6 gm net (7 gm
minus 1 gm fiber) and the green pepper would be another net 3 compared to
net 2 for the romaine. Usually I use it as a lunch meal.

> : > My Mom used to use ssteamed or poached halibut in making a fake
> crabmeat
> : > appetizer, putting sm elumps on a leaf of lettue in and old time
> wide
> : > mouthed champaign glass adn topping it with traditionsal ketchup or
> chili
> : > saauce adn horserradish cocktail sauce. Hm.
> : >
>
> : They have kosher fake crab now, I think it might be called surimi? I
> know
> : it's made from fish, but don't know what kind. Personally I'm perfectly
> : happy eating regular fish.
>
> Surimi is quite high in carbs as they add sugar to duplicate the natural
> sweetness of teh shellfish. Don't try it.

Well, as noted it doesn't interest me, I'm perfectly happy eating regular
fish.