Old 16-06-2009, 08:18 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Clay product

Dee Randall wrote:

Once we were traveling in Ohio, and I decided I wanted to stop in
Steubenville, Ohio to see some Steuben glass.
http://steuben.com/

No one in Steubenville had ever heard of it.

Which leaves me wondering to this day.

Dee Dee
born down the road-a-ways from Steubenville, Ohio

I remember Steubenville. Travelling back to Pittsburgh from the West you
either go through Steubenville or Wheeling. Mostly I remember Wheeling
and the odd configuration of bridges.

-sw

Old 17-06-2009, 01:35 AM posted to rec.food.equipment

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
Dee Randall wrote:

Once we were traveling in Ohio, and I decided I wanted to stop in
Steubenville, Ohio to see some Steuben glass.
http://steuben.com/

No one in Steubenville had ever heard of it.

Which leaves me wondering to this day.

Dee Dee
born down the road-a-ways from Steubenville, Ohio

I remember Steubenville. Travelling back to Pittsburgh from the West you
either go through Steubenville or Wheeling. Mostly I remember Wheeling
and the odd configuration of bridges.

-sw

Oh, my, Wheeling, WV was one pitiful sight decades ago.
This is one of the cities that did improve.

Dee Dee

Old 17-06-2009, 06:49 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

Dee Randall wrote:

Oh, my, Wheeling, WV was one pitiful sight decades ago.
This is one of the cities that did improve.

Pittsburgh sure lived up to it's name a few decades ago but has taken a
turn for the better.

-sw
Old 21-06-2009, 08:28 AM posted to rec.food.equipment

On Tue 16 Jun 2009 07:41:01a, Dee Randall told us...

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
5.250...
On Mon 15 Jun 2009 02:48:16p, Dee Randall told us...

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
Dee Randall wrote:
I brought a cooking product some time ago made from clay, which I
had read that was made from clay in the U.S., I believe it was in
Ohio.

However, when this product arrived, it stated on the box that it was
made in Taiwan. I called the company I brought it from, and they
said that it was a box mis-print that that it was really made in
Ohio (or made from Ohio clay AIR). Later on I looked at the bottom
of the pot and saw that it did say Taiwan, as well, on the bottom.

I'm sure that was a mis-print, too. What it was supposed to say was
that it was "Made by Taiwaneese" in Ohio.

Ohio has a bunch of pottery places in and around central Ohio. But
you, as did we, noticed that much of the stuff was imported even
though they advertise local handmade pottery.

-sw

Once we were traveling in Ohio, and I decided I wanted to stop in
Steubenville, Ohio to see some Steuben glass.
http://steuben.com/

No one in Steubenville had ever heard of it.

Which leaves me wondering to this day.

Dee Dee
born down the road-a-ways from Steubenville, Ohio

Steuben is a division of Corning Glass in Corning, NY. They've been in
production in Corning since 1903. I have several of their art pieces,
two inscribed bud vases, and a set of 6 wine glasses.

Back in the late 1960s I was gifted with one of the bud vases and I
bought its companion vase. Each is inscribed with a Robert Browning
phrase. Curious if they are still in the collection, I just looked them
up on the Steuben website. You could have knocked me off my chair with
a feather... Each vase cost $85 when purchased in the late 1960s. They
now sell for $650 each. (I must be more careful when cleaning.) g

http://steuben.com/acb/product2.cfm?product=1530

--
Wayne Boatwright

Using my inflation calculator, I see that 1960 $85 is in 2008 is
$611.34.

Please don't burst my bubble and inform me that Dean Martin was not born
in Steubenville, Ohio.
(I looked it up to confirm it just now.)

Nope, Dino was definitely from Steubenville.

I must've got Steuben glass and Dean confused :-))

Well, sometimes he was a bit glassy-eyed. :-)

Thanks, Wayne.
Dee Dee

--
Wayne Boatwright
We are all dietetic sinners; only a small percent of what we eat

Old 21-06-2009, 08:31 AM posted to rec.food.equipment

On Tue 16 Jun 2009 07:45:35a, Dee Randall told us...

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
5.247...
On Sun 14 Jun 2009 07:12:05p, Dee Randall told us...

I brought a cooking product some time ago made from clay, which I had
read that was made from clay in the U.S., I believe it was in Ohio.

However, when this product arrived, it stated on the box that it was
made in Taiwan. I called the company I brought it from, and they said
that it was a box mis-print that that it was really made in Ohio (or
made from Ohio clay AIR). Later on I looked at the bottom of the pot
and saw that it did say Taiwan, as well, on the bottom.

I made the choice to keep the pot, but have been somewhat leary of
using it mainly because I have purchased other products made of clay
made in China that I have put away or got rid of because of possible
lead content. [I realize politically and geographically that China
and Taiwan are different.]

This product is in use by Americans; and they have nothing but praise
for it. But I do wonder what is on the bottom of theirs, U.S. or
Taiwan.

DH says that he thinks clay fired in Taiwan is probably not different
than ours -- I'm thinking, do we have any brand-name fired products
made here in the U.S. any longer? Pftzalgraff (sp?) is made in
Mexica, AFAIK.

I bought two of these La Cloche, oblong and round, and I'm ready to
use.
I guess I'm looking for some confidence.

Thanks.
Dee Dee

Given that these are for bread, no? I doubt that you have anything to
worry about.

--
Wayne Boatwright

I ate 4 slices of bread last night and had leg cramps during the ngiht.
But on further thought, I think it must've been the wine I consumed
along with it. :-))

BTW, I followed the instructions as I usally do for first time use of
anything, even though it goes against my 'years-of-experience.'
I shouldn't have done that. The bread stuck and we had to scrape it off
- the corn meal 'might have' helped, but didn't work.

With anything else stone when baking bread, I have never put dough on
top of a cold stone, which is what Williams-Sonama recipe said to do.
What a crock - !! I can really get stupid sometimes.

No, I would never put dough directly on a cold stone. Parchment paper
would have probably prevented it. Did it rise and stick to the underside
of the cloche as well, or just the stone bottom?

--
Wayne Boatwright
My favorite animal is steak. ~Fran Lebowitz

Old 08-07-2009, 02:33 AM posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley

wrote in message

We *always* use a piece of parchment paper. It never hurts, and often
helps.

Dunno about that.
Mine always sticks to the paper
and I'm sore about that, so it does hurt some

mk5000

"whether you like it or not it ain't gonna stop
cause i got you on my radar
I'm checking you so hot
wonder if he knows he's on my radar"--britney spears

zisha clay Barky Bark Tea 2 20-01-2006 01:36 AM
Can this clay pot be saved? Sara Cooking Equipment 9 14-10-2005 02:19 AM
If I go clay ... Matthew L. Martin Barbecue 37 17-09-2004 10:56 PM
I might go clay ... Matthew L. Martin Barbecue 24 17-09-2004 03:36 AM
Clay cooking L Beck General Cooking 5 07-12-2003 05:06 PM